Start by marking “Furtună solară” as Want to Read:
Furtună solară

Furtună solară (Rebecka Martinsson #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  6,660 ratings  ·  520 reviews
Pe podeaua unei biserici din nordul Suediei zace cadavrul unui bărbat mutilat şi pângărit. În fundal, pe cerul nopţii, aurora boreală dansează sprinten, în vreme ce zăpada cade liniştit. Aşa începe thrillerul captivant al Asei Larsson, care a provocat senzaţie în lumea întreagă.
Cea care găseşte cadavrul este sora victimei, Sanna Strandgârd, iar trauma pe care o trăieşte ea
Paperback, Seria neagra, 282 pages
Published 2011 by Trei (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Furtună solară, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Furtună solară

I've been on a Scandinavian writers' kick since I read and fell hard for 'Out Stealing Horses,' by Per Petterson last August. After reading all three of Petterson's books, (reviewing so far only the first,) I turned to the genre which Nordic writers seem to dominate these days---the suspense novel. A recent trip to Iceland prompted me to pick up first 'Voices,' by Arnaldur Indridason, which I intend later to write about, but will just say for now that it is a subject on which I am emphatically t ...more
I can't believe the high ratings. I am so disappointed by this. It's extremely bad written, and 80% of the book is just uninteresting. The ending was laughable at least. No one would believe that.

I absolutely hated all the characters with no exception. All of them were flat and unrealistic. And I dunno why they are swearing all the single time. I found them to be rude, unpolite, and disgusting.

Especially hated Rebecka and Sanna. Rebecka was extremely annoying as a main character. She doesn't h
Joyce Lagow
A charismatic religious leader is found brutally murdered and mutilated inside the modern church of a thriving fundamentalist congregation in a town in northern Sweden. The sister of the murdered man calls her former close friend, Rebecka Martinsson, in Stockholm, pleading for help. Reluctantly, Rebecka takes time off from the law firm for which she works to head north, just for a few days, to help out her distraught friend. Unwittingly she is drawn into the investigation for the killer.[return] ...more
Black Dog Reviews
Reading Swedish crime fiction makes me wonder: is Sweden really so full of murder and evilness? Or do the dark, cold winter days and nights encourage sinister novels focused on the dark area of the human psyche?

Sun Storm, winner of Sweden’s Best First Crime Novel Award, deals with religion, hypocrisy, abuse, mental illness, and perhaps redemption over the course of the story. It’s setting of Kiruna, the northernmost city in Sweden, is important. Its remoteness and isolation are integral to the s
Antonomasia
There probably is a bit too much exposition. But if you can't remember when you last got more than about 5 hours sleep, that is, frankly, absolutely fine. You'd miss anything more subtle. Unless, possibly, you're the ghost of Maggie Thatcher.

Can't put my finger on why, but I found this a little more clumsy and infodumping than Anne Holt. This one, in fairness, is a first novel and I've only read Holt's later books.

The crime is a typically bizarre and fantastical event - the murder and dismemberm
I had to return this to the library once because I had checked it out for so long. I got laid off and suddenly found myself with more time... and thought a Fourth of July holiday at the beach was the most appropriate time to start a murder mystery set in the north of Sweden in the darkest, coldest parts of winter.

Really liked the two main characters of this mystery. Rebecca Martinson is a likable lawyer who works too hard and tries too diligently to distance herself from her small town past in
Libby Chester
What is it with these Nordic writers? I've read Steig Larsson's 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Jussi Adler-Olsen's 'The Keeper of Lost Causes,' and now, 'Sun Storm,' by Asa Larsson. They really have quite a flair for building a suspenseful story with characters who are intriguing, flawed, and intensely credible. Although, I haven't felt compelled to pick up the sequels to 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' I enjoyed Steig Larsson's style of writing. 'The Keeper of Lost Causes,' and 'Sun Storm,' have ...more
Manoela Padilh
After the boom that was Stieg Larsson's trilogy, several Nordic authors began to gain knowledge in the international literary world. Åsa Larsson came in their midst, and with the good fortune to have the same surname as the master, compared with it in style and story. Good luck, I say, because if I knew how it was that book wouldn’t even started it.

The main character is Rebecka Martinsson, a tax attorney from a firm in Stockholm. And by that I mean: an annoying girl who always seems to be a litt
vicent
[copio el comentario que hice en books.livingsocial.com]

Lo añadí a mi lista de lecturas, aunque los comentarios no son muy alentadores; pero me gustó la reseña. Me lo regalaron (primer libro que me regalan gracias a mi "wishlist"), y me lo he leído en unas semanas (porque leo en pequeños ratos, cuando puedo).

Le pongo un 8,5 al libro, pero un 6 a la traducción. Hay expresiones que, en mi opinión, podrían haberse traducido mejor: "Hizo una PREGUNTA MÚLTIPLE sobre el propietario. Juzgado por maltra
Alber Vázquez
De puta madre, me ha gustado. El libro ha empezado flojo, pero ha ido cogiendo impulso a medida que la historia avanzaba. Lo que menos me gusta: esos flashbacks que, como recurso narrativo, son una mierda: si tienes que explicar cosas que le pasaron a un personaje, móntatelo como puedas, pero no escribas flashbacks porque apestan. Lo que más me gusta: Åsa Larsson carece de ese sentimiento de culpa tan propio de los escritores negros escandinavos. Cuando escribe, le importa tres cojones el hambre ...more
Védís
Myndi segja 3,5 stjörnur.

Þetta er fyrsta bók Åsu og hef ég áður lesið bækur 3 og 4, það var mér því nokkuð augljóst að stíll Åsu hefur batnað eftir bókum. Á þessari var örlítill byrjendabragur, hún fer víða yfir, sögumiðjan flakkar óþarflega oft og hratt og það vantar að þætta sumar persónur betur inn í söguna. En fléttan var góð.

Lýsingar á mannlífi og náttúru smábæjar í Norður Svíþjóð gæða söguna svo einhverju meira en krimmar sem gerast í iðrum steinsteypu, glers og málma stórborga heimsins.
Maria João
6 de 10*

Fiquei tão desiludida com esta leitura... Uma autora conceituada, um tema interessante, uma capa apelativa, tudo indicava que iria ser uma leitura empolgante. E se, de início, ainda o achei de facto interessante, depressa o interesse desapareceu para me deixar com um sabor amargo... Não me consegui ligar à história, não senti o drama, chegando ao ponto de estar a ler situações que me deveriam deixar de nuca eriçada e... nada... Não me transmitiu emoção nem nenhum outro sentimento a não s
Kathy Davie
First in the Rebecka Martinsson mystery series and revolving around a Stockholm lawyer in a personal crisis.

It won the 2003 Swedish Crime Writers’ Association Prize for best debut novel.

My Take
It starts out very spookily as we read of the victim calmly embracing his death, and Larsson builds the tension with hints of past troubles, of religious issues, and parental abuse.

There's a past here, a history that Rebecka has with the church. I'll admit to a prejudice against organized religion, so that
Ellie M
This was a relatively easy read Scandi-crime novel - short chapters, story that flowed throughout and a good introduction to a new crime solver. It was also very atmospheric with fab descriptions of the Aurora Borealis and the snow.

(I bought this book last Christmas for my husband and he enjoyed it as well. I bought it because, back in 2010, we went to Kiruna in Northern Sweden (in the Arctic Circle and Swedish Lappland) with the objective of seeing the Aurora Borealis. We were also there on th
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Another Goodreads recommendation from the ever impressive Nordic/Scandinavian writers, the first in a series featuring a character called Rebecka Martinsson, a Stockholm Attorney who left her small town life behind her under a cloud of ill-will, but is now called back by an old childhood friend called Sanna, when she is accused of murdering her brother. Viktor, is a preacher in an amalgamated church group and he has been murdered in a most brutal and horrific manner and found by his sister in th ...more
Larissa
Åsa Larsson's debut novel, Sun Storm won Sweden's prize for best first crime novel--quite a distinction, if you consider how many excellent specimens come out of that country every year. It was perhaps this fact, and not the macabre plot description (or the fact that the heroine is a tax lawyer) that initially interested me in the novel. And I'm happy to say that all hyperbolic, hysteric plot devolutions aside (we'll get to these), this was a very enjoyable read.

Sun Storm has a lot going for it:
Helen Stavraki

Απο την αρχη της ιστορίας αντιλαμβάνεσαι το ρόλο των εκκλησιαστικών θεσμών της κοινότητας αλλα ειναι αδιανόητο ποσο βαθειά χωμένοι και παγιδευμένοι μεσα σε μια ιστορια του παρελθόντος που επανέρχεται στο προσκήνιο με αφορμή έναν φόνο ειναι όλοι τελικά οι εξέχοντες κάτοικοι της κωμόπολης και ειδικά οι βαθειά θρησκευόμενοι.
Εγωιστές,εκμεταλλευτές,βολεμενοι,άξεστοι και επηρμενοι απολαμβάνουν κυρίως τα υλικά αγαθά που απορρέουν εκμεταλλευόμενοι την πίστη και την αφοσίωση των απλών ανθρώπων.
Μεταξύ του
Dark Ruby Girl
so, I brought this book for 20p in a charity shop, the dark red cover with a faint outline of a cross and the big, bold white writing of the title caught my attention, and the description of the book made it seem gory, if a little bit scary. But I've got to nearly 200 pages, and I find myself re reading paragraphs because I've forgotten what has happened, or sometimes I have to start again from the top of the page, also I don't really like the main character, I started to like her a bit more as ...more
Ian
"Before Stieg Larsson, there was Asa Larsson...The Savage Altar is a truly absorbing, atmospheric and fast-paced thriller featuring lawyer Rebecka Martinsson, a fantastic character in the mould of The Silence of the Lambs' Clarice Starling."

Hang on a minute, let's not get carried away with publisher hyperbole. Yes, Asa came before Stieg and not just alphabetically, and yes this is definitely a fast paced thriller, indeed I would happily describe it is a real page turner that I struggled to put
Karen
When she discovers the mutilated body of the revivalist preacher and her brother, Viktor, laid out in ritualistic style, on the floor of The Source of All Our Strength church, Sanna turns to her old friend Rebecka Martinsson for support. Despite her demanding work schedule as a Tax lawyer in a large law practice in Stockholm, and her reservations about her own past in connection with the church, Rebecka heads back to the small town and community to help.

The chief prosecutor on the case seems to
Maria
Depois de ler Aurora Boreal não fiquei surpreendida pelo próprio Stieg Larson ter confessado ser seu admirador incondicional. De facto, este foi dos melhores policiais que li nos últimos tempos.
Adorei a escrita da autora que nos transporta de uma forma sublime para uma pequena localidade sueca e nos faz viver a própria estória. Envolve-nos nos meandros de uma comunidade espiritual que via em Viktor Strandgard um exemplo a seguir, colocando-o quase no mesmo prisma de Deus. Seguiam todos os seus p
Col
Synopsis/blurb.........
On the floor of a church in northern Sweden, the body of a man lies mutilated and defiled - and in the night sky, the aurora borealis dances as the snow begins to fall....So begins Ãsa Larsson's spellbinding thriller, winner of Sweden's Best First Crime Novel Award and an international literary sensation.

Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she'd left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, wh
Silverdrake
WOW! I'm actually glad I read this one after the others: it's as if I'd met some people and knew a bit about them, and now we're sharing a bottle of wine, and I'm getting the detailed story about how it all began. Larsson's characters are so vivid, I keep thinking, I know that person, I know someone just like that! I love how the women have minds of their owns and don't react in a stereotypical way.

What I loved best was that Larsson doesn't need to explain everything as they do in some mysteries
Jerry
Sun Storm's is a Well written Scandinavian murder mystery. The title references the magnetic storms responsible for the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). I love the way Larsson captures the feel of winter in the far north. I've traveled to Bodo, Norway, which is quite near the setting of the novel in Kiruna, Sweden.

This book won Sweden's Best First Crime Novel Award. Whenever I read a novel that has been translated, I wonder how closely the original text has been followed. In any case, Marla
LJ
SUN STORM (Thriller-Stockholm, Sweden-Cont) – VG
Larsson, Asa – 1st book
Delacorte Press, 2003 – US Hardcover – ISBN 038533981X
First Sentence: When Viktor Strandgård dies it is not, in fact, for the first time.
***Attorney Rebecka Martinsson left her hometown in disgrace but is now returning to help her friend Sanna whose brother, Viktor has been murdered. Viktor had been revived from death and became the center of a revivalist following from which cam e the building of the Crystal Church. Rebec
blushenka
When I started this book, I guess I expected it to go into a different direction, which is why I stuck with it to the end - was I ever disappointed. It's a mediocre thriller, with one-dimensional, unlikeable characters and very unsatisfying resolution. It reminded me of the kind of movies that are on tv practically every day of the week.
I have to mention (view spoiler)
Tassia
Primo capitolo della serie di Rebecka Martinsson, che al momento consta di cinque volumi.

Scoperta attraverso il saggio che ho recensito pochi giorni fa (Swedish Crime Fiction), devo dire che al momento è la scrittrice di gialli che più corrisponde ai miei gusti. La questione delle sette religiose nel nord della Svezia mi affascinava da diverso tempo ormai, quindi il setting della storia già mi era congeniale.
Dal romanzo si evince facilmente che Åsa nutre come me una forte passione per i cani ed
Katikka
I expected crap after seeing the reviews, but it wasn't THAT bad after all.

The language was easy to read, it didn't try too much to be artsy. There were throwbacks, but they were easily identified as throwbacks.

I wasn't too impressed with the charachters. Rebecca needed more work to be likeable. There was s bit too much of everything in all of them (the main group), but they still felt distant and shallow. Sidestanders really were it; I csn't even remember the police officers names anymore (1d
David
Four stars worth of interesting strong complicated female characters. Alas, only two (or 1.5) stars when it comes to clunky prose and hamhanded plotting. So give it 3 overall.

Maybe I should just stick to Branagh's BBC Wallanders for my Scand crime fixes.
Helen

Reasonable crime fiction. Martinsson is a fairly sympathetic character, but no-one else really stood out for me, and much of the writing was a little flat and uninspiring. Only the well-drawn Swedish setting saved it from being a 2-star book.
  • Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
  • Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1)
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Glass Devil
  • The Fourth Man
  • Echoes from the Dead (The Öland Quartet, #1)
  • The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4)
  • Don't Look Back (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #2)
  • Arctic Chill (Inspector Erlendur #7)
  • Last Rituals (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #1)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Blackwater
Åsa Larsson is a Swedish crime-writer. Although born in Uppsala, she was raised in Kiruna in the far north. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Larsson was a tax lawyer, a profession she shares with the heroine of her novels, Rebecka Martinsson.

Series:
* Rebecka Martinsson
More about Åsa Larsson...

Rebecka Martinsson (5 books)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Until Thy Wrath Be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2) The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3) Until Thy Wrath Be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4) Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5) Nidstången (Pax #1)

“Shake the tree. See what falls down.” 1 likes
“How can this dog be such an easy victim? A dog who was mistreated by her previous owner over and over again. Why doesn't she recognize evil when she runs straight into its arms? Because she has the ability to forget. Burrows down into the feathery snow and is pleased to see anyone who streches out a hand to her. And now she is lying here.” 1 likes