Start by marking “Mason's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Mason's Daughter

Mason's Daughter

Sally Mason's teenage son Colton is headed for a major meltdown, and she's desperate to avert another disaster by proving her husband's recent death was an accident, not the suicide determined by the coroner. Everyone in town, even Colton, seems to know something particular about Jack's last days, but no one in Mason's Crossing can help her put all the pieces together.

On t
Published August 6th 2012 by Violet Crown Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mason's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mason's Daughter

Nancy Stopper
Oct 24, 2012 Nancy Stopper rated it liked it
I liked the premise of this storyline but I did NOT like the character of Sally one bit. As a mother, she was unbelievably unaware of her son's feelings. And instead of ASKING, she just kept assuming she knew how to fix her son and went about doing it, even when others, including her son, said to stop. She didn't once stop to ASK him to talk to her about what was going on - she was accusing and bull headed. It was clear that her feelings about her loss of her mother were overly influencing her ...more
Tosh McIntosh
Oct 10, 2012 Tosh McIntosh rated it it was amazing
This novel is like fine wine on paper.

Although comparing a book to wine might seem off-point, the analogy serves to illustrate my core reaction to reading Cynthia J. Stone's debut novel.

You can't reliably judge a wine by the bottle any more than you can judge a book by the cover, but there exists in both cases an implicit promise about the quality to be found within. And like the label on a bottle of exceptional, vintage wine, the cover of Mason's Daughter speaks to its depth of character and e
Gs Elmer
Nov 26, 2012 Gs Elmer rated it it was amazing
My book club discussion went into overtime with this intriguing novel. We all have intense family stuff and this one spoke to us a on deep level, especially the flashbacks, which gave it a richness beyond the current story. Most of us didn't think it was important to like the protagonist -- sometimes we wanted to shake her, then hug her. Everyone picked the same favorite character, and no one expected the surprise climax. The family secret resonated with several in our group, because it's ...more
Kate Brown
Oct 26, 2012 Kate Brown rated it really liked it
A free Kindle book from Amazon. I liked this book. Sometimes I was angry at the main character Sally because I perceived her attitude to be selfish. But then the author would reveal a little more about her childhood. I know how hard it is to get past childhood issues, real and imagined. Eventually, I came to appreciate Sally.
Ann Leifeste
Oct 11, 2012 Ann Leifeste rated it it was amazing
I am totally hooked! ...on this Texas family! I hope it's just the beginning of a long family saga. Great read. Lots of complex relationships and characters with family truths finding their way to the surface. What's next from this talented, new author? Couldn't put it down!
Gayle
Nov 17, 2013 Gayle rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Mason's Daughter is about a woman who is determined to prove her husband's suicide was not intentional. She (Sally) somehow believes if she proves this fact it will cure her son of his self-destructive behavior. Being so focused on finding the cause of her husband's death keeps her from focusing on anything but the mechanics of her son's behavior. She doesn't seem to be able to connect with him in any meaningful way. The family dysfunction extends to Sally's dad, her father-in-law, and beyond. ...more
Kim Cooney
Mar 21, 2016 Kim Cooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book but could've been a little better

I enjoyed the book primarily because I loved the book I read of this authors prior to this one. I got it for free along with the book written in connection with this one. While I was interested at the start, I began to lose interest because while this can be a stand alone book, having read the first one, this one started out confusing. It was if there should've been either a book in between or a better introduction to the characters. However I did stick
Sally Beaudean
May 23, 2013 Sally Beaudean rated it liked it
My first impression was bad; I don't like present tense. But the book had so many high ratings -- I had to give it a chance. When I realized the author had a purpose, to separate two different stories, I was more accepting. Why am I drawn to books about mental illness? Now there's an interesting question! This book shows how the present lives of family members can be powered by relationships from the past. I had trouble getting through this book, but I'm glad that I persevered. It was worth it.
Bendy
Mar 15, 2013 Bendy rated it it was ok
I think I would have liked the book better if Sally had shown more growth. You amend you opinions based on your experiences. She only saw things based on her singular experience. And sadly she couldn't see herself in her child. You would that she would try to get help for her son based on family history. This was not my cup of tea.
Amanda Milleson
Mar 25, 2013 Amanda Milleson rated it it was ok
I had a hard time really connecting to any of the characters in this book. Sally never seemed to change - really, there was no real character growth or change. Just some people going through the motions of life. Dull - should have put it down before I made it 1/2 way, but that's just not possible unless a book is really bad...
Sue
Sally Mason's husband, Jack, died a year ago. The police ruled it suicide, but she doesn't believe it. Her son, Colton, has struggled with it, and gets more and more destructive. She tries to seek the truth to help her son, and while doing so, must come to terms with her estranged father. She finds out a family secret kept from her and eventually learns the truth.
Shirley R Keller
Kept me reading

This book I almost gave up on at first but I decided to keep reading a little while longer and I'm glad I did. Once I got into the book it kept me guessing and enjoying to the end.
Amy Weinreich
Jun 10, 2013 Amy Weinreich rated it really liked it
Maybe it was the complicated family dynamic that drew me in; or, maybe I could relate to Sally 's insecurity as a Mom, but the characters kept me intrigued enough to keep reading. For a free book, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was written and how seamlessly the plot unfolded.
Gerardine
Oct 18, 2012 Gerardine rated it did not like it
Predictable read. Readers are led to believe that the main character had difficulty getting close to people because of her difficult childhood but she must have been raised in a box to miss the clues pointing to the truth of all the stories in her life…
Janet McQuaid
Jun 29, 2013 Janet McQuaid rated it it was amazing
I liked the development of the two central characters. I thought there were a few too many characters. I could have done without the romance n this book. Not that I object to romance in my novels, but in this book, it was a distraction, I thought. Still, it was well worth my time.
Vicki
Jan 08, 2013 Vicki rated it it was ok
I had trouble getting into this book. It was very slow-didn't really pick up until the end. I hated the character of Sally. She seemed completely oblivious to her son's feelings. I wouldn't recommend this book to others.
Amy
Jan 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
I finished this book but it was difficult to stay with it. The ending made me wish I hadn't wasted my time.
Megan
Dec 02, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
Free book. This one was a challenge to get through. Super slow in the beginning and middle. 2 stars for picking up in the end.
Jodie
Dec 31, 2013 Jodie rated it liked it
It turned out to be a touch too much in the romance category for me. I've read better. I've read worse.
Emily
Apr 24, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
The fact that the author and I share a last name is no coincidence--my aunt wrote a novel, and it's fantastic! Murder mystery set in Central Texas. Check it out!
Lynn Mcclelland
Sep 09, 2014 Lynn Mcclelland rated it really liked it
Good story, but I found myself being frustrated with the main character throughout much of the story.
Tia Raina
Mar 20, 2013 Tia Raina rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh
Free e-book.. borrowed this online. Didn't find the story particularly gripping. Probably why it was free.
Karen
Dec 20, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I don't mean to be clueless but Mason was her married name and she did not have a daughter and the scene on the cover was not ever explained in the book. BUT, I liked the book
Peggy
Jul 24, 2013 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
An interesting story about the ripple effects of a dysfunctional family and the importance of forgiveness.
Bettie
Oct 21, 2012 Bettie rated it liked it
Started off a good read. Started dragging towards end. Lot of unanswered questions. could only give it 3.5 stars. I did love the methods of transitions which gave it that extra half star!
Amy Kirkland
Amy Kirkland rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
laura
laura rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2013
Marsha
Marsha rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Sharon Holbrook
Sharon Holbrook rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
  • Still Waters
  • Sky of Red Poppies
  • The Coach House
  • Heaven's Rage
Cynthia Stone believes she and Sting were twins separated at birth, because they share the same birthday and original last name. Since she's a native Austinite, some complications in proving their kinship are sure to arise. All of which provides creative fodder for the family sagas she loves to write. Cynthia wrote her first story at age five and has continued to indulge that Muse ever since. Her ...more
More about Cynthia J. Stone...