Start by marking “Heart Trouble” as Want to Read:
Heart Trouble

Heart Trouble

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Stress kills. So does loneliness. A very short, very sweet story by Josh Lanyon.
Published October 4th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Heart Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Trouble

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
304th out of 609 books — 1,429 voters
Muscling Through by J.L. MerrowOne of Those Days by Zathyn PriestSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonDangerous Ground by Josh Lanyon
Best M/M Novellas, Short Stories
160th out of 449 books — 188 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Even if the story is only about 5000 words, Josh Lanyon is able to write something quite thoughtful. Here's Ford, only twenty-three years old, suffering from what he thought as heart attack. But as Ford talks to the emergency doctor who treats him, we find out that there are quite a lot of things happening in Ford's life right now. This snippet ends with a hopeful note of a beautiful beginning between Ford and the doctor.

Oh, and while Josh describes this story as "very sweet", there is nothing
Johanna
I fell for this extremely endearing story of a twenty-three year old Ford, who reminds me of a lost puppy. In a way this is such a simple story, but it holds a huge amount of emotions in it. The story happens during a short couple of hours, but it includes a promise of many great things to come.

This sweet story gave me hope and it left me wondering what kind of lives have these two men lived through to get to this exact point of Ford's heart trouble. What made Jacob to act so kind towards Ford?
Natasha
This is why I read romance.

The unrealistically sweet men, the improbable scenarios, the Knights in shining armour.

This short is a brief glimpse into the lives of two men. I could read a novel about them, or just appreciate this incredible short.

Classic Lanyon.
oceankitty
This is a very short and very sweet story. Its simple setting and easy language only contribute to the whole feel of it; a few hours in a very young man's life where he meets the love of his life ( I hope )for the first time. There were several places in the story I stopped reading because I got this sudden and deep feeling of deja vu. It wasn't until I read the Author's Note at the end of the story that I realized that this was written by Lanyon more than 20 years ago. He talks about finding th ...more
Deeze
This was a sweet little look into Ford and Jacob meeting.

Enjoyable and moving in places, but just too short to really get me going.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This is a very short story, it starts with Ford in the ER being examined by Dr Jacob Hoyle.
Ford thinks he is having a heart attack , the Dr examines him and asks all kinds of questions, that's how we get to know Ford, his age, his family and financial situation, his fear, and it is also told from his POV, unfortunately except for showing that Jacob is extraordinarily kind we know next to nothing about him.
And that was a bit of a problem for me, I liked Ford,but why did Jacob like him, what
Justin
My first Lanyon and I enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some of the longer Lanyon books that were recommended to me.

This is really short but sweet. It fit my mood perfectly.
Irina
Such a lovely doctor-patient fantasy story. Very sweet.

***4 stars***
Katharina
A very short, but lovely story! A little bit too short for me to give it five, because for a five star review I need a connection to the protagonists I just don't get in 15 to 20 pages.

However, it still amazes me how much can be put in such few lines, how much characterisation, how much feeling, without being overdone. It's just a short snippet of two men's lives but you get an insight into the characters, understand them, get an idea of how their lives could turn out. Josh Lanyon knows how to
Lauren
This was a wonderful little story! It was sweet, and moving, and for such a short story it really managed to make a lasting impression. I read it last night and found myself thinking about it at work today. I just wish there was more, because I fell in love with these characters.
Tully  Vincent
So short and sweet. A coming out sort of story, no sex. Enjoyed these two together...3.5 stars
Reggie
Apr 04, 2013 Reggie added it
Love a well-written short story!!
Serena Yates
This is really a seedling of a little story. With very cute characters, one of them panic-driven and close to a breakdown, the other the epitome of calm and collected, it describes the beginnings of what might grow into a relationship. It is a message of hope, which the romantics among us will definitely love. There is enough of a beginning here to make me want a sequel!

Ford is stressed out on multiple fronts. He is low on money and friends, has writer's block, and is scared of coming out. He al
Alisa
3.5 stars. Very short story but it was sweet and made my heart happy.
Anna
God, why, oh why is this so short? I want more!! I completely fell under the charm on this 21 pages long story. Authors who write characters that are doctors, take note - this is how they should be written; caring, gentle. I've read some books where the doctors were really creepy, and I hate that. Jacob was perfect.

I'd sell my left arm to read more about these two. It was so so sweet!

Barb Gilmour
A perfect little read. As per usual, Josh is able to capture so much in a short story, that others fail to do in a full blown novel. Loved it!
Aimee ~is busy sleeping~
Still the sweetest of JL's short stories. Out of all his MCs, I can relate to Ford the most. (view spoiler) The Christmas Coda was just as wonderful. Too short, but you get such a real, honest (and just a little sad) sense of Ford.
Anne-Marie
Such a sweet little story!
Ford is endearing and so is ER doctor Jacob Hoyle. Wouldn't we all want to find a doctor like that in the ER.

Ford just tugged at my heart strings with all his worries and insecurities, tugging at the rip in his jeans, a little lonely and then suddenly (view spoiler)

I applaud Josh Lanyon for writing in such a way that as a reader you instantly connect to the MC and his love intere
Hilcia
2.5/5.0 (D+)
I love Josh Lanyon, but for me Heart Trouble turned out to be a surprisingly incomplete, outdated, and underdeveloped short story (very short), lacking in both detail and real emotion or connection between the two main characters. There is no happy ever after (which I don't usually mind), instead the story ends with the beginning of what might be a relationship. Why? I don't know. I didn't really understand when these two men 'clicked' with each other. A solid writer, Lanyon doesn't
Tami (synchro from BL)
A very short and sweet story about a young writer who thinks he has a heart attack. In the aftermath he discovers a glimpse of possibility with the doctor who takes care of him. Very well written short story, that I probably appreciate doubly after all the bad christmas novellas I read for a challenge.
Richard
I love this book.

Just like the m/c Ford, I also live on Larrabee Street in West Hollywood.
Cedar Sinai was the hospital Ford went and he lives at the Mediterranean Village apartments, on Larrabee.
What on earth is Mr Lanyon hanging out in my neighborhood for?

it is a very small world!

David
Such a sweet story from one of my favorite authors. It's a very early Lanyon but all the familiar elements are there and a perfect addition to my Lanyon collection. If you are already a Josh Lanyon fan or if this is your first foray into his writing, this is well worth the read.
Sadonna
Oct 05, 2012 Sadonna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
Sigh. Man can that Josh write. Beautifully written short story that grabbed me from the first word. Universal themes poignantly conveyed yet again. Lovely as usual. Sigh.
Paola
A perfect example of "less is more", one of the many reasons why I love Josh Lanyon's writing. So many emotions are captured in this very short story (and early writing effort, according to the author's note). A thoughtful, heart-warming, sweet but not sugary-sweet tale of a chance encounter between two guys whose humanity, whose fears and hopes are sensitively drawn, without sounding forced or clichéd. First read in the excellent In Sunshine or in Shadow (Short Stories, Volume 1) by Josh Lanyon print anthology. Highly recommended. ...more
Alina
Wonderful short story! Sweet and realistic and very well-written!
I liked both MCs and I'd love to read more about them - maybe someday?.. :)
Lady*M
Sweet short about a possible beginning between 23-year-old stressed writer and a doctor. Welcome back, Mr. Lanyon!
Manda
Loved this sweet short story. Warms the heart :)
Aisling Mancy
Short, but a darling little literary ditty!
Tina

A short, sweet read, thank you.:)

Kaetrin
Heart Trouble by Josh Lanyon – C Sunita had a post up at Vacuous Minx (there is also a version of it at Dear Author now too) and she talked about short stories, serials and length/form in genre fiction. One of the books she linked to as a favourite of hers was this short story. It’s only 21 pages and the RRP is $2.99 (I got it at the recent All Romance eBooks Earth Day sale so I earned back $1.50 in ebook bucks which made it more palatable for me). I’ve only read a little bit of Lanyon – what I ...more
Q&A with Josh...: Heart Trouble 9 38 Dec 18, 2013 06:33AM
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)
  • Irregulars
  • In Search of Saints
  • Games Boys Play (Glitterbomb! #2)
  • Comfort and Joy
  • His Grandfather's Watch
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Skybound
  • Pricks and Pragmatism
  • Inspiration
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Connecting Flight (Turbulence, #4)
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • To Feel the Sun
  • Getting It Right (Life Lessons, #1.8)
  • Dirty Pirate
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)