Start by marking “Heart Trouble” as Want to Read:
Heart Trouble

Heart Trouble

Stress kills. So does loneliness. A very short, very sweet story by Josh Lanyon.
Published October 4th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Heart Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Trouble

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
3 stars.

A super quick read for a lunch break. No more, no less. It was nice, though way too short.
Ami
Oct 05, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Even if the story is only about 5000 words, Josh Lanyon is able to write something quite thoughtful. Here's Ford, only twenty-three years old, suffering from what he thought as heart attack. But as Ford talks to the emergency doctor who treats him, we find out that there are quite a lot of things happening in Ford's life right now. This snippet ends with a hopeful note of a beautiful beginning between Ford and the doctor.

Oh, and while Josh describes this story as "very sweet", there is nothing
Johanna
Oct 05, 2012 Johanna rated it it was amazing
I fell for this extremely endearing story of a twenty-three year old Ford, who reminds me of a lost puppy. In a way this is such a simple story, but it holds a huge amount of emotions in it. The story happens during a short couple of hours, but it includes a promise of many great things to come.

This sweet story gave me hope and it left me wondering what kind of lives have these two men lived through to get to this exact point of Ford's heart trouble. What made Jacob to act so kind towards Ford?
Natasha
May 08, 2014 Natasha rated it it was amazing
This is why I read romance.

The unrealistically sweet men, the improbable scenarios, the Knights in shining armour.

This short is a brief glimpse into the lives of two men. I could read a novel about them, or just appreciate this incredible short.

Classic Lanyon.
Deeze
May 14, 2013 Deeze rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
This was a sweet little look into Ford and Jacob meeting.

Enjoyable and moving in places, but just too short to really get me going.
Justin
Oct 10, 2014 Justin rated it liked it
My first Lanyon and I enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some of the longer Lanyon books that were recommended to me.

This is really short but sweet. It fit my mood perfectly.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This is a very short story, it starts with Ford in the ER being examined by Dr Jacob Hoyle.
Ford thinks he is having a heart attack , the Dr examines him and asks all kinds of questions, that's how we get to know Ford, his age, his family and financial situation, his fear, and it is also told from his POV, unfortunately except for showing that Jacob is extraordinarily kind we know next to nothing about him.
And that was a bit of a problem for me, I liked Ford,but why did Jacob like him, what
Irina
Jan 30, 2015 Irina rated it really liked it
Such a lovely doctor-patient fantasy story. Very sweet.

***4 stars***
Katharina
Feb 19, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A very short, but lovely story! A little bit too short for me to give it five, because for a five star review I need a connection to the protagonists I just don't get in 15 to 20 pages.

However, it still amazes me how much can be put in such few lines, how much characterisation, how much feeling, without being overdone. It's just a short snippet of two men's lives but you get an insight into the characters, understand them, get an idea of how their lives could turn out. Josh Lanyon knows how to
Lauren
This was a wonderful little story! It was sweet, and moving, and for such a short story it really managed to make a lasting impression. I read it last night and found myself thinking about it at work today. I just wish there was more, because I fell in love with these characters.
Reggie
Oct 04, 2012 Reggie added it
Love a well-written short story!!
Tully Vincent
Apr 04, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
So short and sweet. A coming out sort of story, no sex. Enjoyed these two together...3.5 stars
Serena Yates
Nov 21, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This is really a seedling of a little story. With very cute characters, one of them panic-driven and close to a breakdown, the other the epitome of calm and collected, it describes the beginnings of what might grow into a relationship. It is a message of hope, which the romantics among us will definitely love. There is enough of a beginning here to make me want a sequel!

Ford is stressed out on multiple fronts. He is low on money and friends, has writer's block, and is scared of coming out. He al
Anna
God, why, oh why is this so short? I want more!! I completely fell under the charm on this 21 pages long story. Authors who write characters that are doctors, take note - this is how they should be written; caring, gentle. I've read some books where the doctors were really creepy, and I hate that. Jacob was perfect.

I'd sell my left arm to read more about these two. It was so so sweet!

Tina
Mar 17, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories

A short, sweet read, thank you.:)

Breann
Sometimes I tell myself, "Self, you should try and read/listen to more new-to-you authors."

*listens to 10 more Lanyon short stories*
Barb Gilmour
Oct 07, 2012 Barb Gilmour rated it it was amazing
A perfect little read. As per usual, Josh is able to capture so much in a short story, that others fail to do in a full blown novel. Loved it!
Alisa
Dec 27, 2014 Alisa rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, zz-2014
3.5 stars. Very short story but it was sweet and made my heart happy.
Anne-Marie
Dec 23, 2012 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Such a sweet little story!
Ford is endearing and so is ER doctor Jacob Hoyle. Wouldn't we all want to find a doctor like that in the ER.

Ford just tugged at my heart strings with all his worries and insecurities, tugging at the rip in his jeans, a little lonely and then suddenly (view spoiler)

I applaud Josh Lanyon for writing in such a way that as a reader you instantly connect to the MC and his love intere
Hilcia
Oct 26, 2012 Hilcia rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt-books, 2012-read, gay
2.5/5.0 (D+)
I love Josh Lanyon, but for me Heart Trouble turned out to be a surprisingly incomplete, outdated, and underdeveloped short story (very short), lacking in both detail and real emotion or connection between the two main characters. There is no happy ever after (which I don't usually mind), instead the story ends with the beginning of what might be a relationship. Why? I don't know. I didn't really understand when these two men 'clicked' with each other. A solid writer, Lanyon doesn't
Richard
Nov 15, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: aaa, kindle-lending
I love this book.

Just like the m/c Ford, I also live on Larrabee Street in West Hollywood.
Cedar Sinai was the hospital Ford went and he lives at the Mediterranean Village apartments, on Larrabee.
What on earth is Mr Lanyon hanging out in my neighborhood for?

it is a very small world!

Tami (synchro from BL)
Dec 27, 2012 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it really liked it
A very short and sweet story about a young writer who thinks he has a heart attack. In the aftermath he discovers a glimpse of possibility with the doctor who takes care of him. Very well written short story, that I probably appreciate doubly after all the bad christmas novellas I read for a challenge.
Deanna Against Censorship
Josh Lanyon writes true short stories. They do not have that usual feel of a abstract of a larger story to be written at a later date. This was a complete and beautiful story. There was a promise of more for the 2 MCs but for the readers it was complete. Of course it would be nice to visit the MCs again to see how their life is going.
Aimee ~is busy sleeping~
Apr 30, 2014 Aimee ~is busy sleeping~ rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Still the sweetest of JL's short stories. Out of all his MCs, I can relate to Ford the most. (view spoiler) The Christmas Coda was just as wonderful. Too short, but you get such a real, honest (and just a little sad) sense of Ford.
David
Oct 26, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story from one of my favorite authors. It's a very early Lanyon but all the familiar elements are there and a perfect addition to my Lanyon collection. If you are already a Josh Lanyon fan or if this is your first foray into his writing, this is well worth the read.
Alina
Jul 01, 2013 Alina rated it it was amazing
Wonderful short story! Sweet and realistic and very well-written!
I liked both MCs and I'd love to read more about them - maybe someday?.. :)
Lillian Francis
Oct 05, 2012 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it
Very short but sweet read. A meetcute story that doesn't go beyond that initial point but still manages to leave you hopeful for their future.
Sadonna
Oct 05, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm
Sigh. Man can that Josh write. Beautifully written short story that grabbed me from the first word. Universal themes poignantly conveyed yet again. Lovely as usual. Sigh.
Lady*M
Nov 05, 2012 Lady*M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet short about a possible beginning between 23-year-old stressed writer and a doctor. Welcome back, Mr. Lanyon!
Manda
Oct 05, 2012 Manda rated it it was amazing
Loved this sweet short story. Warms the heart :)
  • First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • All Roads Lead To You
  • Irregulars
  • To Feel the Sun
  • Games Boys Play (Glitterbomb! #2)
  • In the Dark (PsyCop #6.1)
  • Inspiration
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • East
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • Better Than New
  • In Another Life (Heartwarming)
  • Skybound
  • Pricks and Pragmatism
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...