Start by marking “Alaska The Land of M & Ms Men & Money” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Alaska The Land of M &...

Joanne Hawkins

Alaska The Land of M & Ms Men & Money

it was ok 2.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
A two-week vacation to Alaska in 1971 showed Joanne Hawkins what living in the Last Frontier was all about – self-sufficiency and community.

Hawkins, of Nenana, decided Alaska was where she wanted to be.

She went back to Milwaukee, sold her belongings, and bought a pick-up truck.

She drove to Alaska alone in the dead of winter.

She called Alaska the land of men and money, and
Published 2001

To ask other readers questions about Alaska The Land of M & Ms Men & Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alaska The Land of M & Ms Men & Money

Patricia
Sep 14, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Our tour bus stopped at the Tripod Gift Shop Nenana, Alaska where we also found the Two Choice Café (Take it or Leave it) owned by Joanne Hawkins. She had been asked for years to write a book about her story of leaving her factory job in the Midwest to drive alone to Alaska.

From a very young age she exhibited Entrepreneur tendencies. She made and sold potholders, sold Cloverine Salve and Girl Scout cookies.

When she was a teenager her father purchased on time a concertina (accordion) with 10 free
Jill
Aug 01, 2016 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Interesting, funny book. We stopped at Joanne Hawkin's gift shop in Alaska where we met Joanne. (We also ate some of her freshly baked rhubarb cake. I would highly recommend it.) Joanne's book journals episodes, learnings and relationship details as she relocates to Alaska. Joanne had/has determination, intestinal fortitude and sass. All are clearly displayed in her book. What a fun Alaska vacation read as we rode trains, planes, buses, ships and autos to our destinations. Enjoy!
Jan
Feb 24, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
I met this woman while in Alaska so decided to buy her book and read her story. There were times that I really had a hard time believing all that she had written. She sure was a character but a brave soul.
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016