Start by marking “The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins” as Want to Read:
The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins

The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins

Sam and his three best friends, Nick, Jeff and Scout, find themselves in the middle of a hot boring, summer.

Looking for something to break the boredom, they escape into the dark desert behind Sam’s humble double-wide trailer with a cooler full of sodas with plans to have a night of fun around a bonfire in a secluded clearing.

Surrounded by darkness and the strange sounds o
ebook
Published September 28th 2012 by F.W. Adams

To ask other readers questions about The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins

Sheila
Dec 13, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing
When was the last time you were really scared by a ghost story? Well for me it was when I read this short story, The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins. The first part of the story is just about some friends on their way to build a bonfire and hang out. As they sit around the fire, pitch darkness all around them, low flames burning, Sam decides to spook his friends a little. This is when he shares the story of a little girl named Mary Jenkins and what happened to her during a "harmless" ...more
Holly
Jan 28, 2013 Holly rated it liked it
Recommended to Holly by: F.W. Adams
I was contacted by F.W. Adams to read this short novella, and I took him up on his offer. Especially since it was about a legit ghost story. I mean really, am I about to turn that down when it's only 30 pages long? Nope.

I feel a little bad about judging only 30 pages worth of a story, when it's my first encounter with the writer. I mean, I wouldn't really want someone judging me by 30 pages, not when most writers get judged by 300 pages. But hey, a review is a review.

For a first published work,
Jeff Dawson
Jan 18, 2013 Jeff Dawson rated it liked it
3.5

This is a story many of us can relate to as children. How many times did we huddle around a campfire or in the safe confines of our bedrooms and try to scare the bejesus out of our friends? I can remember a few of those nights many moons ago. The story surrounds four friends who venture into the dark recesses of a camp ground overlooked by many. The perfect setting for the story to unfold.

Poor little Mary is the best at playing hide-and-seek. One of her friends is bound and determined not to
Jasmine Villanova
Apr 13, 2013 Jasmine Villanova rated it really liked it
Beneath the Moon and Stars review

I wasn't sure what this was about when I started it. I was surprised to see it was the story of Scary Mary or as I knew Bloody Mary. I think everyone heard that story as a kid. This was a super short fun read. It was uber creepy and made for a great ghost story.

I would say this is a story of how Scary Mary came to be. 4 teenagers get together around a fire and decide to tell a scary story. But, this scary story is true! I had no idea how Scary Mary came to be. I
Jeanna
Nov 29, 2012 Jeanna rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
When I was a kid, I loved R. L. Stine, Caroline B. Cooney, and that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. This story fits in with that tradition of spooky campfire stories perfectly (which is appropriate, since part of it is told around a campfire). While that genre no longer appeals to me as much, this story-within-a-story would have been great for my younger self.

What holds greater interest for me about this story is the main characters themselves, Sam and his friends. They are funny, sli
Christy
Jan 14, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
This is a great ghost story! When you are in the mood for a quick and scary tale, pick up The Unfortunate Tale of Little Mary Jenkins! Just remember that it is a short story, so don't expect full character development or anything like that. This is a story where the characters go into the woods and get told a ghost story. It's the kind of things kids have been doing forever. If you like ghost stories, you'll like Mary's tale.
F.W. Adams
May 31, 2016 F.W. Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Mickelle
Mickelle rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2016
marcarlen shinn
marcarlen shinn rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Marissa at Beneath the Moon and Stars
Short and scary. It left me wondering and wanting more of the story and its characters.
alisonwonderland
alisonwonderland marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015