Start by marking “DC Universe: Inheritance” as Want to Read:
DC Universe: Inheritance

DC Universe: Inheritance

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The award-winning author of the "Batman: Gotham Knights" comic pens this second book in an explosive four-book series featuring the greatest comic book heroes from the DC universe. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about DC Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC Universe

Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanHero by Perry Moore
Superhero Fiction
83rd out of 441 books — 762 voters
The Death and Life of Superman by Roger SternEnemies & Allies by Kevin J. AndersonIt's Superman! by Tom De HavenBatman Returns by Craig Shaw GardnerKingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin
DC Comics Novels
75th out of 76 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

***Dave Hill
(Original review Aug 2006)

Overall 3/5
Story 3/5
Re-Readability 3/5
Characters 3/5

Another “themed” novel, this about the dynamic between fathers and … well, adopted sons. Though that includes some of the peripheral characters, the focus here is on three heroes: Batman and Nightwing (the first Robin), Green Arrow and Arsenal (née Speedy), and Aquaman and Tempest (formerly Aqualad).

The setting is an investigation into an assassination attempt against a young Arab prince, whose kingdom was mostly dest
Megan
I read Inheritance solely for the fact that I was looking for a deeper view into Dick and Bruce's relationship and Devon Grayson didn't disappoint. Although the writing itself could use work I wasn't expecting or searching for anything fancy when I picked up this book and was satisfied with what I got. I really do wish that the story had been longer, developed things further and ended with more of a resolve then what we were handed by the end of the novel. I understand that it's not supposed to ...more
Sierra Rose
Jul 31, 2009 Sierra Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: superhero/comic fans
Shelves: various
The first DC non-comic novel I ever read. I admit, I only got it because I am a devoted Nightwing fan so I will buy pretty near anything with Dick Grayson in it. That said, I am very glad I did purchase this book.

The combination of personalities, especially if one considers Batman and the Green Arrow, were wonderfully handled. The author, who did have issues with staying consistent on the comics, handled the characters well. Anyone who didn't know the backstories of Robin, Speedy or...Aqua Lad w
Craig
For a super hero book it wasn't bad. I like the parts talking about the back grounds of the Titan characters. The main story was ok, bit I think I liked the back story part better.
Ren
Mar 26, 2008 Ren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mid Teens and above
Shelves: all-dc
How could I resist this? After reading the back, I quickly bought it. I mean, come on, Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, their former sidekicks, and Deathstroke = why haven't I read this sooner?

If you like the histories of the first Speedy, the first Robin, or Aqualad, you'll genuinely love this book. The book explores these original sidekick's past and their relationships with their mentors and even goes into the complexities of Deathstroke to some extent. The book focuses heavily on the Father Son
Olivia
This is a great book for comic fans. It's also a good book for someone who isn't a fan but knows a little about the characters. I'm the latter. I've always been a Batman & Robin fan but my love pretty much stops there. This was a fun read for me, it was well written and had some funny parts. My favorite parts involved the dynamic duo of course but I also found myself enjoying the bits featuring Green Arrow. On the downside I was fairly bored with the parts involving Aquaman and Dabir, thankf ...more
Lee Houston,
Batman, Aquaman, and Green Arrow team up with their proteges (Robin/Nightwing, Aqualad/Temptest, and Speedy/Arsenal, respectively) on not only a world saving mission, but possibly a soul searching one as one.
Devin Grayson is (was?) a great comic book writer, but it is a shame that she has not been more active in recent years (to the best of my knowledge). Then again, considering the current state of DC Comics and their "New 52"... :P
Debbie
This was a little disappointing. I love Batman, and have always admired Devin Grayson (despite what she did to the Nightwing run). However, something about this book fell flat. I enjoyed the exploration of the backstories of each of the former sidekicks, but felt at the same time that they detracted from the main story. Worth a read if you're a die-hard DC Comics fan, but anyone else can probably take a pass.
Math_camel
I won't say anything that's already been said, because ya'll have said it better. This book must be read to be believed.

BUT: This is Grayson at her best, doing what she loves, (and goodness knows I'm not her biggest fan) it's all about the boys, their relationships and their childhoods, and I *still* reread my favorite parts. It's worth a rent at the very least.
Taters
It's not that this was completely un-interesting. It was a good look into the heads of some characters I'm always curious about - heads and hearts.

However, Grayson's definitely used to writing for people who will then render into a visual medium. Her action sequences and descriptive passages lacked. Everything that was good happened inside someone's head.
Martin Maenza
This is a decent novel about the mentors (Aquaman, Batman and Green Arrow) and their now-grown sidekicks (Tempest, Nightwing and Arsenal respectively). One of the better books in this DC Universe line of novels.
Amanda
Amazing book. Anyone who loves the DC heroes: Batman, Green Arrow and Aquaman; along with their past sidekicks: Nightwing, Arsenal and Tempest, will love this book.
Bcpl
not a comic, read it by mistake.
Kelvin mcmillan
Kelvin mcmillan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mark Masters
Mark Masters is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Shawn Wong
Shawn Wong marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Shelli Fohrman
Shelli Fohrman marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Tutt
Tutt marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Batman: Master of the Future
  • Batman: Detective No. 27
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Archives, Vol. 1
  • Crisis on Multiple Earths, Vol. 1
Devin Kalile Grayson (birth name Jennifer Eisenman) is an American writer of comic books and novels. Titles that she has written include Gotham Knights, The Titans, the Vertigo series USER, and Nightwing. Her work on Gotham Knights made her the first, and as of 2010 the only, woman to serve as the regular writer for a Batman title.
More about Devin Grayson...
Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1 Nightwing/Huntress Year One: Batman/Ra's al Ghul Nightwing: Renegade Nightwing: Mobbed Up

“Do not be naive. Criminals cannot go unpunished. Nor can heroes.” 2 likes