Start by marking “In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)

In the Band (Luminescent Juliet #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  11,108 Ratings  ·  508 Reviews
When family problems push Riley Middleton into giving up a percussion scholarship in another state and attending college from home, her friends push her to try out for a local rock band. Of course, Riley makes the band. She rules at the drums.

Riley soon finds out rock bands have a different dynamic than marching bands, especially when each of her male band mates has a maj
Published October 19th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about In the Band, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Band

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberRule by Jay CrownoverHopeless by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
tattooed love boys
53rd out of 1,027 books — 3,149 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. StephensThe Mighty Storm by Samantha TowleBackstage Pass by Olivia CunningRock Hard by Olivia Cunning
Epic Rockstar Stories
26th out of 581 books — 2,072 voters

More lists with this book...

Ash Reads
Jan 05, 2016 Ash Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dont-own
4.25/4.5
I loved this!

“Love doesn’t always make sense. To the person in it or to the people around them. The falling can be an emotional, chaotic whirlwind. The landing jarring and eye opening. But if two people are really in love, there’s nothing in this world that can overcome it. Even if they can’t be together, love doesn’t cease.”

A girl drummer....thats something new to me....I've read books where the main female character is more of a tomboy than anything, but RILEY...Riley skate boards an
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

Genre: New Adult, College-age
Steam: Mild

Riley Middleton has given up a percussion scholarship out of state, made the choice to attend the local college while living at home, and pretty much singlehandedly runs the household. Riley's parents are filing for divorce. While her father is already engaged to another woman, her mother is an emotional mess. Missing the beat of the drums, as it has always provided her escape, Riley tries out for a local college band
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
4.5 Stars

Why is love such a cluster fuck?

This was an impulse buy. Amazon suggested it in an email, I clicked the link, read the blurb that included the words dark, sexy rock god and was sold. Those are dangerous words you know. Its so sad how easily persuaded I am. Seriously. I have issues. lol. Anyhow, I was very impressed with this book and enjoyed it very much. I initially thought this book was going to full of angst and drama, but I was wrong, well…at least on the angst part. The story tur
Ails
Aug 31, 2014 Ails rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

"Love doesn’t always make sense. To the person in it or to the people around them. The falling can be an emotional, chaotic whirlwind. The landing jarring and eye opening. But if two people are really in love, there’s nothing in this world that can overcome it. Even if they can’t be together, love doesn’t cease.”

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? ()ノ

*swoons*

I love this book as much as I lololo-love musical instruments! I can totally relate to Riley and her passion for music!

I
cEe beE
'In The Band' is like a great mash-up of other books that I love: 'Easy' by Tammara Webber, Gayle Forman's 'Where She Went'. Finally, there's 'Five Flavors of Dumb' by Antony John. There's college dorms, hot and angsty guys, dysfunctional band dynamics, family and school financial problems, and a feisty female MC whose musical passion and talent drives the men who adore them into tortured despair. Lol!

So yes, while the plot is all too familiar, I still enjoyed this book. A LOT. It's a great YAR
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
Loved it! The heroine is bad ass and I loooooooove Romeo!!!

photo tumblr_mgzjkm6OM11rxbmj7o1_500_zps0c4af2fe.jpg

thumbs up photo tumblr_mk15y0fWTu1s5jmcbo1_500_zps138824a4.gif

awesome photo tumblr_mjtc6bbaR21s33nmro1_500_zps0e2122db.gif

I looked up Remember Everything by Five Finger Death Punch after reading this book and its one of my favorite songs!!
SONG photo tumblr_mjgoxanBbe1rcny7ko1_500_zps2322049e.gif
Jenny Levine
Oct 31, 2012 Jenny Levine rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"The falling can be an emotional, chaotic whirlwind. The landing jarring and eye opening. But if two people are really in love, there’s nothing in this world that can overcome it. Even if they can’t be together, love doesn't cease."

Let me just tell you that I'm not really digging the title of this book plus the cover, thus, I became hesitant on reading this. But, I learned that one should not judge a book by it's cover (or title) 'coz Holy shit was this an awesome read! Why? Because ROCKSTA
Lindsay
Oct 28, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I’ve had my eye on this book for a while. I love rock star books, so I’m a sucker as soon as I see “band”. I had gone back and forth on it (even though it sounded good) for at least a month, then I saw that the price dropped! As you can imagine, I snatched it up immediately.

I was hooked immediately. I loved Riley’s connection to music and drums. I can honestly say, I know how she feels.

Romeo…Romeo…(wherefore art thou Romeo?)…Lol, he definitely left me asking that through the first half of the b
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews

Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews

Sizzling Pages @ Facebook

Twitter:@Sizzlingpages

4.5 Sweet Sizzling Stars

This was a sweet heart warming love story. I found my self tearing up so many ti
Jacob Proffitt
This is another excellent example of the value of "New Adult" as its own category/genre. It's full of all the angst and passion and purpose of that age but without drama for its own sake and with characters who are honest, kind, and struggling to do their best as the realities of an adult world assert themselves.

I particularly like Riley. Her situation sucks as she takes on the role of functional caretaker while the adults around her descend into petty selfishness. Jean Haus deals with some weig
Navessa
Mar 15, 2013 Navessa rated it liked it
Shelves: cute-ya
Really three and a half stars because while I liked the premise of this book and overall I thought it not only flowed well and was believable, I still had some issues with it.

Some of the supportive characters (Marcus and Chloe) started off strong but then seemed to fade into the background as Riley's interest in Romeo grew. This could have been done intentionally to demonstrate how sometimes when falling in love people can overlook other relationships but I felt like more could have been done t
Katie
Feb 18, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
This was really great! I think my favorite thing about it is that it dealt with some sad things, but without the intense angstiness that so many of the new adults I've read have had. And no DARK SECRETS that the narrator constantly hints at, but takes forever to tell you!

The relationship was nice and HOT. And I don't know. I just liked it. Would read more by the author, I think.
Veronika's ReaderFeeder
Jan 10, 2016 Veronika's ReaderFeeder rated it it was amazing
Okay, this book exceeded all my expectations. It was not deep or meaningful but I loved it anyway and for a Saturday night read it was perfect. Plus there were pretty great songs in this book. :)
Juls
Jan 08, 2013 Juls rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Juls by: Jen
i'm seriously doing a happy dance right now :D I absolutely loved this book. I couldnt put it down!

I loved Riley and how much she loved her family, enough so she sacrificed her future to be there for them. She had so much potential and yet she blossomed where she ended up. She was such a strong character that you cant help but root for her.

As much as Riley does for her family her home life really sucks. In order to keep a bit of her sanity she decides to try out for a local band. The band hear
Alex (Lexie)
Oct 31, 2012 Alex (Lexie) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alex (Lexie) by: Melissa
Holy... This is just awesome. I don't even know what to say... *thinks hard* Hmmmm... I'll just go and enumerate why I like this book a lot.

One... MUSIC. I've been looking for a story with music in it. I'm getting hooked with books that has that kind of genre. I like music, who doesn't? I always wanted to learn to play guitar. Always bugged my bf to teach me how. But never got to learn it really well cause I'm not patient. :P

Two... Drummer... I keep on mentioning that I really like drummers. I r
★Ruth★
I really loved Romeo :)

Male Character : Romeo was a rock god, and so sweet underneath it all. Totally crush worthy Book Boyfriend.

Female Character : Ridley was also a great character, she was selfless...nearly too much so at times. But overall she was really likeable :)

Storyline : It was great to have a girl being the drummer in a rock band. As opposed to a groupie etc.

Surrounding characters : I loved Chloe, she was great BFF & I would love to read more about her & Marcus. The guys
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
I just loved in the band. The chemistry between Romeo and Riley was great from the start. I'm a sucker for taunting/insults as for play - and they did it better than most. I'm also a sucker for a rock star story - but this one one of the first I've read where the heroine was in the band - and I loved it. I enjoyed watching Romeo and Riley circle each other - and fight their attraction - and the build up was worth it - even it then never actually DTD. This was a great, relatively uncomplicated ...more
Sleepy
Nov 30, 2012 Sleepy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book love Romeo hes so sweet, sexy, caring and has that mysterious edge to him!! And i think Riley was a great character as well i loved that she didnt take shit from Romeo if he talked shit she dished it right back at him!! Never letting him see that he fazed her!! Loved his POV at the end from when she first had her tryout to be in the band!! Dealt with real issues with depression and that they need to get help before it gets to the point that its too late!!
Patrycja
Nov 16, 2014 Patrycja rated it it was amazing

You have to know that I'm the fan of books about rock bands and hot rock stars, so when I saw this book on goodreads I knew it would be good. And it totally blown my mind!

Excellent novel! I loved everything.

I think I'll read more books by this author, couse her writting style it's totally worth recomendation.
A. Walters
Nov 23, 2012 A. Walters rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I loved Romeo, loved Riley, loved the romance! If you can't tell, I LOVED ALL OF IT! Read this book, it's fab!
Tracey (YA Book Addict)
Oct 29, 2012 Tracey (YA Book Addict) rated it it was amazing
Note to self: When you start a book by Jean Haus, you need to be prepared for the fact that once you have started, you won't be able to put the book down until you have finished, so everything else in your life will become non existent.

Whenever I open my emails and find an email from Jean asking me to review one of her books, I have this little buzz going on for days and the urge to push it to the very top of my review list is so strong simply because I love the style in which she writes and he
✿kawehi.reviews
Oct 22, 2013 ✿kawehi.reviews rated it really liked it
Books that have these in them....

*Hot rock stars

+ *Steam

have me going...

•..

-LOVE, LOVED THIS QUOTE!

The good: Fast and easy read. The writing is very simple and to the point and t
*Lynn*
Oct 23, 2015 *Lynn* rated it really liked it
In the Band is the story of Riley, a band geek drummer turned rock star. Riley is also very selfless, smart, family oriented, a good friend, and a strong female. I really liked her character.
Riley had worked really hard in high school and landed a full scholarship to attend college in Virginia. But when her mother falls into a deep depression from her parent’s divorce, Riley selflessly give’s up everything for her family and is left with the responsibility of taking care of her 8 year old sis
Angie Elle
Sep 21, 2014 Angie Elle rated it it was amazing
When Riley auditions as a drummer for Romeo’s band, sparks fly…

This is the first ‘rock star’ book I’ve read and really loved. Usually I find the characters are too over the top or out of control for me, but I think Jean Haus found the middle ground. In fact–I think her characters are more ‘grounded’ in general.

Let’s start with Riley. I loved Riley’s loyalty to her sister. She wanted what was best for her, even at the cost of her own happiness. This story starts out with Riley giving up her schol
Amanda (Hootie) Clark
Oct 10, 2012 Amanda (Hootie) Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This one one of the sweetest, funniest, most amazing books I have read yet! The story centers around a young girl who loves playing the drums and after giving up her scholarship to play for a school and a major drumline joins a local band to help her family. Once she joins the band she starts to realize she is attracted to the bands guitarist. He treats her like shit but she is determined to stick it out until she discovers he isn't such a jerk after all.

I can't even begin to express my feeling
Tana
Jan 26, 2013 Tana rated it it was amazing
In the Band by Jean Haus

This is the first time I have read anything by Jean Haus and she is an amazing author, this book In the Band was fantastic. Jean writing is easy to read, the characters are great, and this is one of those books you don’t put down till you’re at the end.

In The Band is about a young woman named Riley Middleton who has to give up her dreams of going to college and playing in the school’s marching band. Her mother is struggling, her father has left for a much younger woman
Remy Kripton
3 sexy-drummer stars..!!

I went into his story expecting a lot. It may have been my fault but this book didn't meet my expectations. Loved the blurb! But the story was average.

The beginning 20% of the book was really good. I loved the initial relationship between Romeo and Riley. Liked their banter and the dynamic they got going. But as the story leads us it just fizzles out. It wasn't was I expected and it sort of became cold. There was the substance to attain to the soul deep love story the a
Splage
3.5 Stars
Genre: Young Adult Romance
Heat Barometer: 2 out of 5 stars

In the Band
, the perfect example of traditional young adult romance: sweet innocent love, angst, stupidity due to immaturity, more angst, and lots sexual frustration. What you also get with this story is a hot rocker/boxer as hero who has a strong sense of morals and a nasty attitude when he wanted to give it. There was depth in the plot and some real hardships and choices the Riley, the heroine had to deal with throughout becaus
Julia's Book Haven
Nov 06, 2012 Julia's Book Haven rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I loved Romeo, he was intense and sweet. And I thought the story was very real and relatable. However I spent pretty much the whole book being pissed off at Riley's parents. They were pretty selfish and it drove me insane that Riley didn't tell them off. True it's not the mature thing to do, but I really just wanted her to freak out and scream at them to get their shit together and be better parents for their kids.
Niki