Start by marking “Making Ends Meet” as Want to Read:
Making Ends Meet

Making Ends Meet

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Zach is just seventeen years old, but despite his youth, he has more than his fair share of responsibility. An experimental fling in high school has led him down the path of single fatherhood. Now, he holds down a job, takes his college classes online, and pays his own bills as best he can—all while juggling daycare and chores and play-dates for his four-month-old, Mae. It ...more
Published October 26th 2012 by Storm Moon Press (first published October 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Making Ends Meet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Ends Meet

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
306th out of 609 books — 1,433 voters
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
180th out of 335 books — 516 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy
Oct 29, 2012 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I won this story in a giveaway, just for the record, and I'm very glad I chose it! Downloaded it to my phone & couldn't resist starting it, even though it was already past my bedtime. It was easy to start and get into, but I want to re-read on my actual eReader, because there are illustrations (which look charming, I think, but it's hard to tell on my phone which tends to chop pictures/covers up in some odd ways.)

So, one of the reasons I chose this book is that I have a HUGE soft spot for Gu
Arthur
One of the main reasons for divorce in the US is economic issue. I noticed that this rarely becomes an issue in m/m romance, as most stories either put cheating or bigotry as the main issues. As more and more gay people be and live together, economic issue will also become important in their relationships.

That's why I was happy to read the blurb. When I read the book, it didn't disappoint.

This book's plot is very simple. Boy (with a 5-month daughter) meets another boy. One is a lower middle cla
Leaundra
4.5 stars... This book took me back. I had my son at 17 and was on my own trying to make it work out and then I met my husband when he was 6 months. I was proud of Zach on how he was trying to do it all for Mae on his own but I was also like take the help if you can get it. It's great what he was doing but sometimes it's not bad to except the help. I thought his mom and dad were great. He was lucky to have met Wil, he was just a great great guy. I would love to see a few years down the road how ...more
Anke
It was a nice, easy, fluffy story, no lows, but also no real highs, no drama. As there are books where the drama and angst is too much, here I would have loved some of that.
Btw. the situation with the parents wasn't solved; does that mean there is a sequel in the planning?
Gabbi
When it comes to writing amazing stories, SL Armstrong and K. Piet are definitely the dynamic duo of romance! I’ve loved every book and novella I’ve read written by them and I admit that they are one of those authors that are a must read for me. There aren’t afraid to tackle the sometimes difficult issues we all have as we go through life, and they write realistic heroes that I can identify with and I still would be honored to call a friend in my life too.

At seventeen, Zach has had to deal with
Adriana
The cover is so pretty and the blurb is great.

Please be good!
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

It took me a while to read this. Just under a month actually -- I kept putting it down and picking it up later. So, I don't think that it is without faults, but just after the halfway point, I picked it up again and finally started getting into it. And after finishing, well -- I respect this book a lot. It is a divergence from most of the writing these two have done in the past, and from typical romance in several ways. First -- Zach is seventeen whe
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for MM Good Book Reviews and can also be found there.

Making Ends Meet is a wonderful family oriented book with really fitting illustrations and sweet characters to complete the experience.

Zach is a single parent at seventeen raising his daughter Mae whom he adores. He’s working and taking online college classes while desperately battling with time and refusing to accept help.

Things don’t necessarily change when he meets Wil at the register at Wall Mart after a
Alex
Overall
If you're expecting a plot twist, huge drama, or dark secrets, you're going to be disappointed with Making Ends Meet.

The story is as described in the blurb. It's a charming tale of a very young man who decides to keep the baby he and his friend produced after a misguided night of exploration. Zach is overly independent and Wil is too good to be true, but they still have a sweet story to share. For lovers of everyday romance (and who love babies in stories), this will probably hit all thos
mah1
Apr 09, 2014 mah1 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This is a sweet story, slow burn romance (my favorite kind) about Zach, a 17-year-old raising his baby on his own since her mother didn't want to keep her. Though his parents help him emotionally and financially, he wants to be her primary parent so is struggling to make ends meet by working part time at Walmart and going to school part time.

It's at Walmart that he meets Wil when he comes through Zach's checkout line. He feels that Wil's attention, his desire to date Zach and include May is too
I really enjoyed this story, though I admit to being a sucker for little girls! Zach was such an amazing dad, watching him struggle was hard but when you look at his reward, Mae, you knew it was worth it. When Wil came along, the missing puzzle piece fell into place. I loved watching them grow together and I loved how patient Wil was with Zach. So glad they got their happy ever after, even if Mommy Dearest tried to put an end to it! :)
Shannon
Oct 05, 2013 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: Michelle *mke*
Shelves: gbc-finished
God Zach was so stubborn but I just loved him! These two made the cutest couple evah! It did seem a little easy though. Like this 23 yr old guy just walks into your life and wants that insta-family so young. I don't know. I did get a little weepy but not terribly so and I really wanted to hurt Wil's mom. What a bitch!! Really enjoyed this one.
Page Crusherz
3.5

I really enjoyed the story, but I didn't buy the MC as a 17 yr old. I spend all day with 17 yr olds, some very mature, but I couldn't get my mind around that part of the story. I decided to pretend he was 19 and the story was much better!

II really enjoyed reading it, nonetheless!
Vicki
I liked the simplicity of this book. Nothing major happened, but it was filled with likable characters and the baby was adorable. Just a happy little read for me.
Linda-Grace
I finally finished it but the characters did not really make me care apart from Mae who was adorable
Anya
A realistic, real life relationship story, with a baby. Simple writing style, story kinda makes you go aww, cus it is just so cute and heartwarming.
It wasn't a page turner but it wasn't bad either. However, I almost gave up on it. I put it down and then picked it up for the sake of finishing it.
It just did not appeal to me, either due to the simple plot (but then again, this is not a soap opera or a thriller), or the writing style(Wil, is just too good to be true; the simple dialogue.)
Also, in t
Leonel
Who can resist this adorable cover? Yes, I can be shallow and it influenced me in picking this book to read next, and boy, was that a good call. S.L. Amstrong's and K Piet's novel was irresistible from the start, and was a joy to the last page. Sure, I had to get myself used to the simple writing, and had to remind myself this is a Young Adult novel. I mean, it even had illustrations every couple of chapters or so, and I have to admit it helped in my appreciation of it. This is a story of a seve ...more
Sammy Goode
Zach is seventeen, a high school drop out with his GED, living on the edge of financial ruin and as a single Dad. His life revolves around his four-month-old daughter Mae, the two college courses he manages to afford, and working endless hours at Walmart. He finds it difficult to accept or even ask for help from two very loving parents and often finds himself running on empty—exhausted and alone. To top it all off, Mae was the result of one frantic attempt to figure out if he was indeed really g ...more
CB
What a sweet story! I typically shy away from stories about very young men but this one intrigued me and I am glad I purchased it. The story is from the POV of one of the MC's and the reader really gets to know him - a truly lovely story love story based on the importance of family. The other MC is just as fascinating and I wish the author had done more to show his POV too.

Lots of great character development, an intriguing story and some realistic (and hot) sex scenes between an in experienced 1
Blue Bayou .
I liked it ok. It was super sweet and honestly a bit chessey. The internal struggle was repetitive however I found if I skipped some of the internal angst I liked the story. Although I had one niggle (view spoiler) ...more
Melanie
I really should start reading the blurb on books. I saw this with 2 guys and a baby and thought "Yeah, I need to read this."
I didn't know these guys were gonna be so damn young. I couldn't read the intimate scenes, (that has got to be a first ever for me!) Since I have 7 younger siblings that are all older than these two, and my baby sister is the same age as Zach, the intimate scenes in this felt kinda icky to me.
It was a beautiful story, and beautifully written, but I just couldn't get past th
Suze
Feb 02, 2015 Suze rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Suze by: Won on Jessewave BAHAG 2012
If you like marshmallows, you'll love this - sweet, comforting.
A story of young love, with Zach juggling school, work, living and a baby, and struggling to keep his head above water. He learns how to swallow his pride and ask for help. Wil is almost too good to be true, helping and supporting Zach and not pushing too hard. He had his moment too.
Did feel zach's frustration at all the mess that got thrown his way. I'd have liked to see Wil's parents more after their ultimatum.
Even the angsty bits
Ramsi
more 3,5 stars for me
Lisa - President of Challengeaholics  Anon and Challenge Enabler
Zach is a 17 year old, who after having sex one time is left to take care of his daughter.
He is struggling to make ends meet, trying to juggle his bills, school, his daughter and his job.
One day whilst working the checkout he meets Wil, a 23 year old who is studying pharmacology.
The 2 begin a relationship which is not easy on either of them.
Patty0005
I truly loved this book. It gave another perspective to the whole teenage parent. This is the first time I read a story like this, the way Zach just wanted to do everything by himself and not be a burden on his parents, even though they wanted to help him and Mae. And the way Wil fell in love in both Zach and Mae. I just loved it!!
Rosebee
I had some serious issues with this book. I feel like the author didn't do their homework re: infants. That the attraction/motivation of a mid-twenty-something to a 17-year-old with an infant was something I really didn't feel as realistic (at least, the author didn't manage to convince me of it).
YellowDaisy
3 1/2 Stars

I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a realistic, sweet romance, with just the right amount of angst for the subject matter.

The beautiful illustrations throughout the book were a pleasant surprise, and definitely enhanced the reading experience.
Hrtnsoul28
I loved this story. I loved that a 17 year old gay boy would chose to raise his child. I loved how hard Zach worked for Mae. The love and devotion to do the right thing. Will was also an amazing guy. I am so happy with the happily ever after.
  • We Danced
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • Fraternal Devotion
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Changing Worlds (Worlds, #2)
  • Bianca's Plan
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • The Coil
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • Rentboy
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)
  • Six
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Adore (Sam & Cody #3)
Support S.L. Armstrong & K. Piet on Patreon!

S.L. Armstrong has been writing for as long as she can remember. Art and reading have played a large part in her life since young childhood, but around fourteen, writing became her passion. Voraciously consuming every book in front of her opened up hundreds of worlds in her head, and she soon wanted to create worlds for other people as well. She has
More about S.L. Armstrong...
Catalyst Jungle Law An Angel's Soul Playing Doctor  (Catalyst, #1.5) Breaking Point