Start by marking “Stitching Snow” as Want to Read:
Stitching Snow

Stitching Snow

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,675 ratings  ·  751 reviews
Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fill
Published October 14th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Stitching Snow, please sign up.

Suzy Q I've talked to the author, and it was written before Cinder was published, so it isn't copied from that. Its similarities are sort of crazy, but I…moreI've talked to the author, and it was written before Cinder was published, so it isn't copied from that. Its similarities are sort of crazy, but I actually liked "Stitching Snow" better.(less)
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
14th out of 370 books — 1,456 voters
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. MaasThe Young Elites by Marie LuThe Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinTalon by Julie KagawaThe Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
Fall 2014 Young Adult Releases
23rd out of 183 books — 1,014 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
“The day I was born, my father was more interested in unusual weather for the season. He chose my name and had some genetic resequencing done. He wanted what he wanted. So I was made Princess Snow, eyes like the sky and hair as white as my name."
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there lived Snow White.

Heehee. No, I have not gone off my rockers! Ok, I have, but that's beside the point. Of course, everyone has their own interpretation of a book, but for me, this book is Star Wars meet
Kat Stark

So, I had a nice idea for this review upon reading. This will be another unconventional review in the form of a first date. Enjoy!!

I will be the oh-so-omniscient one (aka. the creepy stalker/eavesdropper) using italics in the background to express my thoughts.

Essie and Dane's first date: (taking place after the book--no spoilers, I promise!)

Waitress: What can I get you today?

Dane: Can you give us a minute?

Essie: I don't need a minute I know what I want. I'll have...blah blah blah

Dane: Still have
Faye, la Patata
Well, this is awkward... another review for a retelling from yours truly. I swear I am not seeking them out; they seem to find me, not I them. In any case, this one is extra special because it's a retelling inspaaaaaaaace. And anything set in space is automatically "cool beans" in my eyes. I mean, usually. You know. *fidgets*

Now the only problem is... where to bloody start.

You see, Stitching Snow and I have quite a complicated relationship. I liked it for the most part, but I found a lot of prob

Also reveiwed for Addicted2Heroines

Space, the final frontier...

The big question on everyone's mind seems to be whether or not Stitching Snow is a rip-off of The Lunar Chronicles.
Well, retellings are, by the very nature of the genre, all rip-offs.
But that's not really what people are talking about, is it?
My personal opinion?
I'm leaning towards, no. No, I do not think this is a rip-off.
I mean, is no one ever going to be allowed to write another retelling in space, just because Mar
Wendy Darling
2.5 stars I was pretty determined to not compare this book to Marissa Meyer's fairy tale scifi series as I read it, because a. it's hardly the first to do a mash-up of genres and b. books deserve to be judged on their own merits. But it's pretty impossible not to see the similarities in Stitching Snow's tone and a few other elements to Cinder, except with characters and relationships that aren't quite as compelling, and a story line and dialogue and romance that don't really spark. It's going to ...more
Arielle Rae Aguilar
Oct 25, 2014 Arielle Rae Aguilar marked it as to-read
EDIT: I was right. I completely forgot about this book.

Okay, so I saw this on the Recommendations page and read the synopsis

I thought Oh, this looks really interesting! I want to read it right away!

And I looked at the publication date

Are you kidding me?? That's around 7 months away! By then, I bet I would've forgotten that I added this to my tbr list

Note to self: Check publication date BEFORE reading the synopsis
The Holy Terror
It's definitely going to be difficult to not compare this to Cinder; it's got robots, a misplaced princess, space travel, and a fairy tale backbone, but honestly this was just different enough for me to stop the comparisons there. The story didn't really get its hooks into me until around 19%, and it's interesting that I see a lot of people that didn't finish this stopped before that point. Honestly, that's where the whole book did a 180 for me and I was glued to the page. I'd say, if you get to ...more
Are you looking for a science fiction fairy tale retelling? I recommend Stitching Snow which is a Snow White retelling set against a space adventure. Me? I was sold. I would say it was a cross between The Lunar Chronicles and These Broken Stars.

The plot itself is a tad hard to explain. Even the synopsis is extremely vague. Basically, eight years ago Princess Snow disappeared prompting a war across planets. We follow Essie who has been on planet Tandra minding her own business. One day, a spacecr
Melissa Landers
Awe. Some. If you like sci-fi, kick-ass heroines, plot twists, action, romance...basically all the things that make fiction worth reading...then add this to your to-read list, pronto. This is such a clever spin on the Snow White fairy tale. Loved it!

I think all the comparisons to The Lunar Chronicles are doing this clever story an injustice. Fairytale retellings and books are bound to have similarities. Sure, the sci-fi setting and certain elements could be connected with Marissa Meyer’s series, but Stitching Snow is a story on it’s own and it’s a damn good one.

Essie has build a life on Thanda, a cold, unfriendly planet where she takes care of the drones and fights against the male miners to earn some
“Princess Snow is missing!”

Yes, you heard that right folks! Princess Snow has suddenly disappeared from her home planet…or has she? “Stitching Snow” is a futuristic retelling of the classic Brothers Grimm tale “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” that is written by R.C. Lewis. The difference with this story and the original fairy tale is that Snow is not accompanied by seven dwarfs, but rather a awesome yet complicated hero in Dane!

The book starts off with a young woman named Essie working in th
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Original review at:

I'm just gonna come out and say it. This is a MUST OWN! Whoot! that good! For fans of Marissa Meyer's Cinder series will LOVE this book. And, get this, IT'S A STAND ALONE! Oh my heck do those even exist anymore?! sheesh!

So this is a Snow White story but R.C. Lewis has completely made it her own which is perfect and the heroine isn't a simpering maiden but an awesome protagonist that is independent, flawed, resourceful, courageous, witty, and st
Feb 24, 2015 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
I was so surprised by this book! What a cute little story! I picked this up because I had overheard rumors that it was a, "Cinder ripoff", which it was not. I had been looking for a similar books to Cinder for quite awhile and this seemed to fit the bill. This book had the (view spoiler) and lots of droids, but that's about as far as I can compare it to Cinder. The droids had cute little personalities but they were nowhere near as human as the ones in Cinder.

Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Essie lives in insulation on a mining planet called Tandra and she loves her simple life. With the help of her seven drones, she has a peaceful life. When a shuttle crash lands near her home, she finds an injured Dane. Gaining her trust, he convinces her that he needs her help and she willingly gives it up him. What she decides sets her on a journey that she can't get back from.

I'm pretty sure people will lower their rating with this because it has a similar feel to Marissa Meyer's Cinder.. But
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

This is where things get a bit tricky. I truly want to believe that every books has its story to tell and that not two people can write the same, regardless of how similar they are and it's true they cannot. I do also believe that every book is its own entity but despite my efforts not to compare this one with The Lunar Chronicles it's really hard not to do so.

Once again I was faced with a fairy tale retelling set in the future which makes this book a nice c

I'll admit that I started Stitching Snow with some trepidation - most of my friends that had read it had given it 3 stars max. But lo and behold, in a strange twist of fate, I'm a positive black sheep, because I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. It was creative, fun, sci-fi-tastic, and a well-executed stand alone debut novel.

The first thing that got me on the "this-book-is-awesome" bus was our main character, Essie. I hadn't read the book's premise in a while, so the exact nature of her identit
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
"Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero..."

chill {adj.} (also: chilly, cold, frigid)
ठणडा [thanda] {adj. m}

Co-incidence? I simply like to think not. Meet fate. HA-HA.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Hmm sounds kind of like the Lunar Chronicles? I'm intrigued ... looks cool. :)
I dont usually like to read sci-fi because when I read them I end up not liking them. At all. So when I decided to pick up Stitching Snow, I was pleasantly surprised. The way that R. C. Lewis wrote Stitching Snow was very compelling. There wasn't ever a dull moment. There was action when there needed to be, and nothing in the story felt forced. So I was thoroughly entertained while reading the book.

I love this book. Stitching Snow is one of my favourite books. I love the story, the retelling. Th
Essie has a secret.

Staying alive on backwater mining planet Thanda is no small feat – least of all a teenage girl completely on her own. Alone or not, Essie manages to hobble together a living by her winnings in cage fights and her smarts with her droids and stitched-together tech. For the most part, she’s happy. Or she’s too tired to be happy; call it what you will.

But she’s still got a secret that could, one day, tear the galaxy apart.

That day comes when a strange ship crashes on Thanda, beari
2014 is really a jackpot year for fantasy and sci-fi. I can't believe how many great books there have been this year. And Stitching Snow is another one to add to the list. If you are not a fan of insta-love, I dare you not to like this one. The romance is so sweet, so slow-building, so fantastic! I'm not a big romance fan, but this one was definitely worth reading.

I loved the Snow White story set in space. (Playing Risk with her father based on Earth from long ago was a nice twist to w
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

Note: I received an ARC of this book at BEA. However, this did not influence my review in any way.

Stitching Snow will no doubt draw comparisons to that other fairy tale retelling, with its futuristic, sci-fi setting and its inter-planetary space travelling. Even the two main characters, though one is representative of Snow White and the other Cinderalla, share a lot of similarities: tomboy, computer geek, relatively friendless outside of a robot/drone sidekick, the whole "missing prin
Jacob Proffitt
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Essie (hate that name) was a lot of fun to be with and I really liked her personality. It's not that she isn't typical (she isn't), but that her atypical aspects fit together into an integrated whole that works and makes sense and even drives the story.

So backing up a bit. This wasn't a retelling of Snow White so much as it was a very light homage. And that works way better than an actual retelling would have, I think. The translation to a far-future sci-fi settin
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Bell, Book and Candle Blog | Stitching Snow Review

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the baddest b***h of them all?

Princess Snow, that's who!

This was unbelievable, in a great way. It's like a futuristic-fantasy reimagining of the well-known fairytale Snow White. I had high hopes for this book when I first read the synopsis, and I am pleased to say that they were exceeded.

First off, can I just say how awesome this version of Snow White is? She's a no-holds-barred, kick ass, strong female! Not the
sunset shimmer
Well, there's certainly a lot to like about this book. I liked that it wasn't nearly as similar to Cinder as I'd originally thought it would be. I liked the characters and the world-building. I liked that the heroine was tough and easy to root for. I liked that it was Snow White and the Seven Drones. And of course, I liked that it was Snow White that kissed the prince awake this time.

So despite me not loving the book, I still greatly enjoyed it and had fun.
Mar 30, 2014 Mitchii marked it as to-read
It is clear to me now that everyone needs a dimwit drone in their lives. Or a cussing one. You thought machines couldn't make you go "awww"?! Think again!

(Of course, Iko from Marissa Meyer's the Lunar Chronicles is another example.)

Stitching Snow is a sci-fi/futuristic retelling of Snow White. I don't see parallels to the Lunar Chronicles that warrant concern despite what everyone is saying, apart from the whole fairytale/badass engineer female protagonist angle, and I think R.C. Lewis did a fai

Stitching Snow, is a very unique and unusual futuristic sci-fi twist on the classic tale of Snow White. Truthfully? If I didn't already know this was a retelling, I probably wouldn't have made the big leap into thinking this was about Snow White, there is very little that resembles the old tale and felt entirely like it's own science-fiction fantasy storyline complete with robot drones, aircraft shuttles and a lot of techy-techy talk. We also have a lot of different planets with their o
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: October 14, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back-but that's assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used
All About Fantasy: Stitching Snow 1 9 Feb 01, 2015 07:11PM
Not So Young YA B...: Dec 1st 2014 - Stitching Snow - Guy 12 15 Jan 21, 2015 06:12AM
  • Stray (Four Sisters, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Crown of Ice (The Snow Queen Saga, #1)
  • Beastkeeper
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • Salt & Storm
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Falls the Shadow
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
When I'm not writing novels, I'm teaching math. Or when I'm not teaching math, I'm writing novels. It gets a little confusing in here sometimes.
More about R.C. Lewis...
Spinning Starlight Fingerprints - Excerpt from 2010 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award entry The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse Among The Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been

“Not that complicated. I think I'm in love with you, Essie. But I also think you're not ready. I shouldn't have sprung it on you like that, so I decided to take it at your speed.” 15 likes
“If we go ahead with it...if you say do we tell our children that we fell in love after I kidnapped you?” 7 likes