Start by marking “Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  90,028 ratings  ·  10,688 reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.

Rina Honestly, I didn't like Scarlet. The book was good but it was a really slow read for me. I don't think the author developed the character of Scarlet…moreHonestly, I didn't like Scarlet. The book was good but it was a really slow read for me. I don't think the author developed the character of Scarlet enough for us to like or dislike her.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
katie Totally it is awsome

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
Jenn
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
Lola
This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
Steph Sinclair

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
Sarah Maas
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
She did not know the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.

• Little • Red • Riding • Hood •

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the g
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I read Scarlet, I nearly lost my mind.

Cinder had been one of my favorite reads from the previous year, and I had waited the entire twelve months for the next installment to come out. When it showed up at my house (after being pre-ordered for months), I probably hugged it tightly to my chest and SQUEE-d. Then (after petting the lovely cover) I ran to my comfy chair, settled in, and began to read.

And the perspective I was reading. Was. Not. Cinder’s.

If I wa
Giselle
*Spoiler free for the series!*

Not everyone can pull off retellings, or even stories inspired by classic fairy tales. They more often than not have a certain missing element that stops them for shining. Rarely do they stand out among the masses like Cinder does. Marissa Meyer is one of those authors who can take an overly used concept and turn it into something completely unique, while leaving in the charm and delight of our beloved classic. Cinderella meets Red Riding Hood in this second install
Emily Anne
Oh, why on Earth (and Luna) do I have to wait so long for the next book? Cress, the third book, comes out in 2014! I am going to die!

I loved Scarlet even more than Cinder. The characters are amazing, the plot thickens, and you receive the same witty dialogue you had in the first book. Marissa Meyer is a genius! This book leaves nothing to be desired (except for a third book in your hands, ready to read.)

The book starts off with Scarlet meeting Wolf, and learning from her father that her grandme
Lotte
Do you know that feeling you get when reading Dystopian books like The Hunger Games or Divergent? Where you’re wondering what the hell is happening to all of the other parts of the world, not just the immediate dystopian society the story takes place in?
The Lunar Chronicles manages to not only create a futuristic community, but a dystopian world. You never have to wonder what people on other continents are doing because soon enough, you’ll find out.
Overall, I highly enjoyed this book and even t
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
This book will feature Cinder and Little Red Riding Hood and will take place in France.

Holy....cheese.

UPDATE: COVER REVEAL!!

description

So much nicer than Cinder!

After Finishing

As the second book in the Lunar Chronicles, this one follows Cinder after her arrest and escape from prison with the help of a hormonal 'Captain' named Carswell Thorne.
The story also follows Scarlet Benoit, a farm girl living in a small town in France. Scarlet's grandmother has been missing for over two weeks and she's desperate
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Me after reading this book:

When I finished it, all I could do was sit there making whale noises and flail around.

I mean ... DAMN. I loved this book. Maybe it was because I read a few rather disappointing books before I read it, but it just felt like a giant ray of sunshine in my life.

I read Cinder about a year ago and it was a very pleasant surprise for me. I was like, "Cyborg Cinderella? Pffft … dumb." But then I heard it was actually good so I was like, "What the heck. I'll read it for the lu
Kristalia
Final rating: /

my reaction when i saw the book was out:

my reaction when i read the book:

Anyway. Scarlet was so much better than Cinder. Probably because there were more characters, it was written in third person view( just like in Cinder) but with much more POVs. Like Kai, Scarlet, Thorne, Cinder and Wolf(). Anyway, the story was pretty good, even though it was retelling of Red Riding Hood, but it was freakier, just like Cinder.

The book starts just where Cinder ended, and it's better to re
Wendy Darling
A damaged werewolf and a charmer who flirts with spaceships! I have no idea why I waited so long to read this.
Lindsay Cummings
aaaand straight on to book 3 :)
Celine Elk
Well done, Marissa, well fu*king done!
This was even better than the first book! You really begin to see how the events are going to weave together in the most beautiful pattern. And I normally don't read a series back-to-back, but I think I am too excited about this series to not pick up Cress at once!
Well done!
Sasha Alsberg
SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
Marce♡
[5/5]

El primer libro, Cinder, me gustó mucho pero muchísimo. Encontré que la historia era muy original, a pesar de que se basaba en el cuento clásico de La Cenicienta, me fascinó la manera que tuvo la autora de contarla y es la distopía más original que he leído, hasta ahora.

Como me gustó tanto el primero, esperaba mucho de éste y puedo decir con toda la satisfacción que puedo de que no me decepcionó.

Este segundo libro está basado en el clásico cuento de La Caperucita Roja. Aquí hay una nueva p
Anne
Also reviewed for

I was a little slow to getting around to this series, so I'm betting quite a few of you are sitting there smugly, gloating over your pre-ordered copy of Winter.
For the rest of you?
Start reading now. Don't be like me, sitting here waiting on my library to judge me worthy of a digital copy of Cress.
Pick me! Pick me!
description

Anyone not know what this series is about?
Yes. In the back...I see a hand up.
Alright, Meyer had created a unique retelling of Cinderella in the first book Cinder.
Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown
description

I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. .................

OH WHO AM I KIDDING?????

COME FASTER!!!!!!!!
Thomas
Thank you, Marissa Meyer, for renewing my faith in YA fiction after a long spell of sub-par novels. In her sequel to Cinder, Meyer details the story of Scarlet Benoit, a young woman whose grandmother has gone missing. After some risky encounters, Scarlet teams up with Wolf, a mysterious street fighter, and together they set out to find Scarlet's grandmother. While their mission goes on, Cinder, our protagonist from the first book, breaks out of jail and embarks on a journey with her fellow convi ...more
Keertana
Rating: 3.75 Stars

Scarlet is easily one of the most anticipated novels of 2013, but it never made its way even to my to-read shelf. In fact, while the rest of the blogosphere was going crazy over the release of Meyer's sophomore novel, I was marveling at the fact that I had one less book to read this month than everyone else. Well, needless to say, Scarlet won me over, just as Cinder won over hundreds of readers when it was first released last year. While Cinder proved to be a frustrating read f
Dj
What? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 2013?! That is completly unnecessary. There's also 4 books which IS NOT a good sign.

OKAY so I saw on a website: book two IS about red-riding hood but it's ALSO focuses on Cinder as she tries to escape Levana and learn her history. But it also introduces a new character named Scarlet who lives in south France whose grandmother has disapeared. - which is good because I would have cried if the book hadn't continued with Cinder.

OKAY OKAY: I see that the four books will focus
Cami
Definitivamente este libro me gusto mucho mas que Cinder. Ya dentro de todo lo que es este mundo, desde el principio hasta al final no hubo ningún momento en el que me desenganchara de la historia. Los nuevos personajes ... bueno, empezando por Scarlet, no es que la odie, pero sus decisiones y actos en su mayoría los deteste, y es bastante tonta, pero igualmente me agrada. Sinceramente los caps sobre Cinder desde que escapa de la carcel hasta que consiguen montan la nave me parecieron un poco ab ...more
Liz
Okay, I feel finally ready to write a proper review...I thought the first book was magnificent but this one...wow...it is even better.

Scarlet's grandmother disappears, no, excuse me, she is kidnapped and Scarlet desperately tries to find and free her. Her grandmother is the only family Scarlet has.
The fighter Wolf knows who has kidnapped Scarlet's grandmother and he is willed to help her, although he never reveals his true motives.
Together they go through hell to get to Paris and Scarlet who is
Wendy Higgins
Ahhh!!!! Another epic book for me! This book has everything that I love and need in a book - the stuff that helps me fully escape - amazing storyline/plot, vivid characters, spectacular setting and storyworld building. This is one of my new favorite series, and I can't wait to read the next!
Elena
description

This is one of my favorite series EVER.

description

How can I wait a year for the third? HOW?

Recensione:

Lei non sapeva che il lupo
era un animale cattivo
e non ne aveva paura.

La fine del primo libro ha segnato il rintocco della mezzanotte, il momento in cui Cenerentola è tornata a casa scordandosi una delle sue scarpette di cristallo per saltare sulla carrozza prima che si trasformasse in una zucca su quattro ruote. Cinder invece è rimasta al gran ballo, intrappolata tra la realtà e l'uomo che ama, Kai. Lo s
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5) The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)

12 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 467 likes
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
444 likes