Start by marking “Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  177,362 Ratings  ·  19,456 Reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

Win a Copy of This Book

• Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
    Scarlet (Cronache lunari, #2)
    Release date: Feb 05, 2013
    Enter to win an Italian language edition of SCARLET: Book Two of the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, published by Mondadori.

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 2637 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 13 - Nov 21, 2016

Countries available: US, CA, and IT

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.

Estela Pabalan Yes this book is waaayyyyy better then Cinder!! Read it you won't regret
    Avaminn F'nett Probably. There's a few sexual references (all from Thorne) but they'd go over a 10 year-old's head.

Emily May
    Feb 14, 2016 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    “She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to a
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    (more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
    Lola  Reviewer
    This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
    Sarah Maas
    Jul 03, 2012 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
    Jenn
    description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
    Steph Sinclair

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
    Kassidy
    Dec 09, 2015 Kassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    *4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
    Katerina
    Jan 22, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
    “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time,there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales.Her favorite was Red Riding Hood,and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning.A warning that she'd never shup up).The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across a horrible,ho
    Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》
    "She did not know that the wolf
    was a wicked sort of animal,
    and she was not afraid of him."

She is sassy and fiesty.
    He is dark, mysterious, and ADORABLE!
    What more do you need people?!
    . . . Did i mention she carries a gun around?? Yeah, you don't mess with that one. ;)

"Wait until morning," he said.
    "The world wont be safe tonight."

Still cant find a perfect Wolf! This will do for now. Who do you guys picture as Wolf?

Now that i have read all four books, i can say this without a doubt Scarlet
    Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
    11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
    Finally,
    Lisa
    I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
    Riley
    Mar 24, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audiobook
    4.5
    I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
    -Scarlet/Wolf <3
    -Cinder and Thorne's friendship
    -Iko being a ship
    -Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Bangadybangz
    Dec 30, 2015 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
    Joie
    It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
    April (Aprilius Maximus)
    Apr 14, 2016 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reread, 2014, 2015
    *4.5 STARS*
    First read - 15th February 2014
    Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
    Maria V. Snyder
    Sep 04, 2016 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I usually take a break between books in a series, not this time - I'm binge reading them.
    Cait • A Page With a View
    4.5 stars. First of all, I love all of the characters but can we just talk about CARSWELL THORNE. The books are worth reading just for this adorable, sarcastic, arrogant idiot. He is still one of my favorite characters of all time and he just gets better and better throughout the series. His friendship with Cinder is everything.

So this book was actually the weakest one in the series for me but I still loved it in the end! The characters and their stories haven't all come together or synced up ye
    Sasha Alsberg
    May 14, 2014 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
       Maggie
    she did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him

Rating: 5/5

I remember saying I would try and consider writing actual reviews, explaining the story, the plot, what I did and didn't like (unless spoiler free), explaining what happened with a detailed description, saying why I rated it whatever rate I gave it, so that's what I'm going to try and do from now on.
    Also, I always add the book's actual description in italics font and they I decide to add a 'Wha
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    I put off reading this for like two years because I really didn't like Cinder, but holy crap. I liked this 382827282x more than I liked Cinder. Wow. Wowwwwww.
    Darth J
    May 27, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: series

While it’s a little on the snout to both name the Little Red Ridinghood-inspired character “Scarlet” and give her red hair, I tended to like this book. The world built in Cinder is expanded upon and I actually liked imagining the French countryside in this story. Not to mention that this one is heavy with the food descriptions.

figure 1: Ina Garten enjoying Nicki Minaj’s truffle butter

We are introduced to Wolf, who is a lupine/Lunar hybrid and—in the tradition of YA love interests—is
    Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
    She did not know the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her
    Giulia (Jun)
    Now that I've read the second installment, The Lunar Chronicles is probably one of my favorite book series ever, and has made me fall in love with science fiction, a literary genre I didn't think I would have ever liked. After I finished reading Cinder I was already hooked, and I knew the series just needed a tiny extra something to go from amazing to completely mind-blowing.
    Scarlet had that extra something. There were so many things I loved about this book that I better get down to them immedi
    Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
    *4.5 stars*

I really, really loved this to be honest. There is just something about this book...or SOMEONE aka CAPTAIN CARSWELL THORNE. My only gripe was maybe the story dragged a bit in the beginning. I totally ship Wolf and Scarlet, some would say INSTALOVE, but IDC, I SHIP IT. ALSO, Thorne and Cinder's friendship. I found myself laughing out loud so so much during their interactions and coversations. I feel like CRESS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING (and I know it probably will be since EVERYONE loves
    Daiane (Away for a month :/)
    -- Adjusting reviews vibe - As I got to Winter --

When I got to read this book (just after the first one), a lot of the reviews said that this one was better. As I read the first chapter, I started to disagree with them. After Cinder's ending, I was dying to know what happened next and the beginning with Scarlet isn't exactly what I expected. Scarlet was boring. All she could think about was her grandma.
    She had to eat. Grandma. She had to get out of the car (whatever that future transportation c
    Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
    description

Wait, did I read something? I think I did...

Blurb:
    Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter a
    Jemma (MyLittleBookishCorner)
    Meyer does it yet again - After falling in love with her writing style in Cinder, I was not disappointed when I got to Scarlet . I soon found myself getting closer and closer to the end without realising that I was doing it.

I love that each installment in this series is going to follow a different fairytale character, but is also going to include the characters from the previous books. I love meeting the new characters, and seeing them interact with the old characters {even if it isn't until th
    Macarena
    Marissa se supera con cada libro, ya sea en sus personajes o en la trama. Como todo va uniéndose y armando un gran entramado de problemas es genial, está tan bien construido que con cada libro se llena otra pieza del rompecabezas de este libro.
    Scarlet y Wolf mi nueva otp
    Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
    Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
    The characters in this series are amazing! I think I preferred the first book a bit more, only because Cinder is my favorite character so far. She's a cyborg and that's just so cool. I pretty much lived for the scenes with Cinder and Thorne while reading this, their friendship is everything.
    Wendy Darling
    A damaged werewolf and a charmer who flirts with spaceships! I have no idea why I waited so long to read this.
    • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
    • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
    • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
    • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
    • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
    • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
    • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
    • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
    • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
    • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
    • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
    • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
    • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
    • All Our Yesterdays
    • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
    • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
    • Of Beast and Beauty
    • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
    I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
    • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
    • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

21 trivia questions
    4 quizzes
    More quizzes & trivia...
    “I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 880 likes
    “A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
    836 likes