Start by marking “The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch” as Want to Read:
The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch

The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A captivating new original 20-page short story by Paula Brackston, author of The Witch’s Daughter, “The Witches of the Blue Well” is the story of Ceri, a young woman in earlyeighteenth-century Wales whose grandmother always told her the magic blood of the women in their family flows through her veins. But when famine and hardship come to their village, will Ceri be able to ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Witches of the Blue Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witches of the Blue Well

Jessica Quadrel
Jan 20, 2014 Jessica Quadrel rated it it was amazing
This was a really great short story. After reading "The Witch's Daughter" I decided that I had to read everything that Brackston has ever written. The story goes very quickly, and I really enjoy how Brackston ties in fantasy with historical fiction.
Ann F.
Jan 12, 2016 Ann F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Witches of the Blue Well

I am not quite sure how to categorize the books that Ms. Blackstone writes.....Paranormal? Historical? Whatever it is, it is interesting. She has a cool way of writing....using the "voice" that her characters would use.

The witch in this story is young, just into her teen years, and faced with losing her family, all but her beautiful sister who is a bit older, but much more fragile, to disease and famine. Her Grandmother hints that she is a witch, but unfortunately, s
Jim
Jan 07, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me the best story is the one that leaves you wanting more and with the Witches of the Blue Well Paula Brackston certaintly leaves you wanting to know more about Mamgi and the Blue Well.This well constructed short is aided by thoughts on writing the Winter Witch of which we have the bonus of the first two chapters at the end of the Witches of the Blue Well and had me placing my order of The Witch`s Daughter and the Winter Witch stright away. ...more
Sharon
Mar 28, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I know this was a short story and history, but I really wanted the rest of the story. It is a good quick read. I will be reading the full story of The Witches of the Blue Well.
Jessi
Sep 09, 2015 Jessi rated it liked it
That was nice. Bit of information as well as a short tale. It's funny to think that Ffynnon Las could come about by two young teenagers and an old crone. and like The Winter Witch it still spurred up my irritation and anger towards those that mistreat people who use gifts, even to help people.
I think that if there is truly magic in the world we should punish those that do harm with it and only if there is REAL evidence of the harm being caused by them.

Woahh now.....my Merlin feels are springing
O
Mar 02, 2015 O rated it really liked it
I loved Paula Brackston's "The Winter Witch".

This short story references a blue well and the main character of that novel finds it and uses it to become a powerful witch. This prequel discusses the first witches who came upon the blue well and one witch in particular that harnesses it's power.

The main character in this story is Ceri who has been told by her grandmother that she has magic in her blood. A pestilence causes her to lose her entire family except for her sister. Fleeing the sickness t
Suzanne E. Chisum
Dec 19, 2014 Suzanne E. Chisum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing...

This book is a great follow-up to The Winter Witch. It explains the history of the Blue Well as well as the magic associated with it.

Larissa
Dec 18, 2014 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
blue well remembered

It was nice to have a little back story about the Winter Witch's origin. The curing well in that book is the same in this one. Morgana finds her magic in the blue well. I love that Paula took the time to put this little bit down on paper!! Thanks Paula!!!
Julie
Feb 02, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a magical story where one young woman who makes a difference by standing up to an entire town.
Jessica Jewett
Aug 14, 2014 Jessica Jewett rated it really liked it
This short story has an old fashioned lore feeling to it. Very enjoyable.
Leanne Powers
Oct 21, 2014 Leanne Powers rated it it was ok
It wasn't amazing. Im a fan of this author but not of this book.
Lisa
Apr 10, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Way to short, it would have been an awesome story to really get into.
Stacey
Aug 03, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it
A good short story
Pamela Porter
Feb 28, 2015 Pamela Porter rated it liked it
Very short story. Read it before the winter witch....
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a fun e-book with a short story and then two chapters from the upcoming book The Winter Witch. I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the full book!
Fleet
Dec 22, 2012 Fleet rated it really liked it
Great little speed read. Think of it as a a perfect appetizer for the release of The Winter Witch.
Beth
Feb 05, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Simply too short, which left characters under developed and overly simplistic.
Joanne Cinquemani
Feb 07, 2013 Joanne Cinquemani rated it it was amazing
short, entertaining I'm looking forward to reading The Winter Witch.
Crystal McBride Atwell
Jun 14, 2013 Crystal McBride Atwell rated it it was amazing
Love this story! Now I HAVE to get the Winter Witch!
Phyllis
Jan 24, 2015 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Good short story. Wish it was longer.
Annie
Jan 01, 2015 Annie rated it liked it
Good short story
Mallory Hebert
Mallory Hebert marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Amanda Webb
Amanda Webb marked it as to-read
Aubrey Mac
Aubrey Mac marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Brandi Faulkner
Brandi Faulkner marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 07:15AM
  • To Kiss a Frog
  • Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5)
  • Beyond Downton Abbey
  • Angel Wings
  • Blood, Smoke and Mirrors (Bad Witch #1)
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater...That Grandma Knit
  • Warrior's Last Gift (Warrior, #1.5)
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • The High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake
  • Witch Weigh
  • Book of Dreams
  • To Have and to Hold (Nebraska Historicals, #7)
  • Zera and the Green Man
  • Perfect Pumpkin Pie
  • Tracks (A Mystery and Espionage Thriller)
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
Paula Brackston (aka PJ Brackston)is the New York Times bestselling author of The Witch's Daughter, The Winter Witch, and The Midnight Witch(2014).

Paula has an MA in Creative Writing from Lancaster University, and is a Visiting Lecturer for the University of Wales, Newport. In 2007 Paula was short listed in the Creme de la Crime search for new writers. In 2010 her book 'Nutters' (writing as PJ Da
More about Paula Brackston...