Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #14)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From Cyberspace to outer space, from the Dark Continent to the speed of light, the dozens of stories in this terrific collection represent the year's finest offerings in imaginative fiction.Among the twenty-eight tales assembled here are:
The Land of Nod, Mike Resnick's powerful tale of the orbital space colony Kirinyaga and how the old ways conflict with the new.
Foreign De
Published May 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Taylor
Mar 30, 2008 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: sci-fi
I love these collections and have been trying to fill in the volumes that I am missing. I picked this up at a used book store during a trip last year.

Editor Gardner Dozois does a great job of picking the best stories from the year and collecting them into one volume of approx. 250,000 words of fantastic science fiction. Almost as valuable as the stories themselves are his "state of the genre" forwards where he discusses trends in publishing, novel, movies, anthologies, and notable happenings in
Kevin Groosalugg
Immersion (Gregory Benford) was a solid story. I also enjoyed The Flowers of Aulit Prison (Nancy Kress), Death do us part (Robert Silverberg), The Cost to be Wise (Maureen McHugh), Bicycle Repairman (Bruce Sterling), and Chrysalis (Robert Reed). But by FAR the best two in this book were the two Tony Daniel stories, A Dry, Quiet War and The Robot's Twilight Companion. Both of these stories will haunt me for a while and I have to read more of him. I'm tempted to give it 4 stars just for introducin ...more
Aneil
Mostly unreadable, boring pieces. I'm glad I only paid $7.99 for the Kindle version, and will be donating/giving it away as soon as I can.
Lord Humungus

This collection had some great material in it, including Nancy Kress' brilliant "Flowers of Aulit Prison", Robert Reed's weird "Chrysalis", Bruce Sterling's silly "Bicycle Repairman" and two works by Tony Daniel. This book made me buy Tony Daniel's later novels and collections. Also was my first introduction to Jonathan Lethem, though I didn't know it at the time.

Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Patrick
2/6/12: "The Miracle of Ivar Avenue" by John Kessel
2/7/12: "The Lady Vanishes" by Charles Sheffield
2/9/12: "Counting Cats in Zanzibar" by Gene Wolfe
2/17/12: "In the MSOB" by Stephen Baxter
Olga
Meh, gave up on this one. I gave each of the stories ten pages, and only ended up reading the entirety of two or three. Not my favorite collection; better luck next time.
Darth
Not much in here grabbed my attention, and nothing sparked my imagination. I usually love collections of shorts, but this was not my fave.
James
Some of the stories made me wonder what their criteria was for the award.... but others were good!
Timon Karnezos
Standouts were "A Dry, Quiet War" and "Bicycle Repairman".
Cindy
Mar 19, 2010 Cindy marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, sci-fi, own
99-cent buy from Goodwill.
Michallevy
English edition
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Richard Greenawalt
Richard Greenawalt marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 18, 2015
Eldorankin
Eldorankin marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Paul Apsley
Paul Apsley marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection