3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A National Book Critics Circle Finalist for Criticism

A deeply Malcolmian volume on painters, photographers, writers, and critics.

Janet Malcolm’s In the Freud Archives and The Journalist and the Murderer, as well as her books about Sylvia Plath and Gertrude Stein, are canonical in the realm of nonfiction—as is the title essay of this collection, with its forty-one “false st...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published April 24th 2013)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Forty-one False Starts by Janet Malcolm
    Release date: May 13, 2014
    A National Book Critics Circle Finalist for Criticism

A deeply Malcolmian volume on painters, photographers, writers, and critics.

Janet Malcolm’s In th…more
    Giveaway dates: Jul 22 - Aug 22, 2014
    20 copies available, 153 people requesting
    Countries available: US and CA
  • Friend Reviews

Wendell
    The haphazard, somewhat thrown-together quality of the essays and profiles included in Forty-One False Starts keeps this collection from being a truly satisfying record of Malcolm’s writing on contemporary artists and writers. Several very brief pieces, including two near the end, should simply have been left out: they’re notebook jottings, not finished pieces; and Malcolm’s famous, long article on Ingrid Sischy, “Girl of the Zeitgeist” from 1986, has aged rather badly, perhaps because the petty...more
    Bernie
    The first sentence in Janet Malcolm's controverisal book, "The Journalist and the Murderer," is probably the most provocative line she's ever written. The book was about the relationship between Jeffrey MacDonald, convicted of murdering his family, and Joe McGinnis, the writer who pretended to befriend him. The sentence is, "Every journalist who is not too stupid or too full of himself to notice what is going on knows that what he does is morally indefensible." McGinnis never recovered from the...more
    Pamela
    I reviewed this book over at The Millions (clickable link)
    Blaine Harper
    As if The Journalist and the Murderer and Two Lives weren't enough for me to go by! But I read those for class, so the interesting part of observing Malcolm's writing tics is over and done with. The title essay was so pretentious that I, even as member of the expected audience, felt alienated and bored. And I'm morally opposed to the writing of seven-page essays with two full pages' worth devoted to block quotes (see The Woman Who Hated Women).
    Blair
    My interest waned in this a little towards the end and Malcolm's writing wasn't enough to get me absorbed in subjects I didn't have a pre-existing interest in. I enjoyed the essays on Bloomsbury and Salinger the most.
    Vonetta
    I'm no longer a student, so I am not forced to read pretentious academic material that is in no way pleasurable. That said, I put the book down after the title essay and the one about Edith Wharton. Life's too short to read books I don't like. Also, the fact that the author has her own adjective, "Malcolmian," is exhausting.
    Kallie
    This is not a book of essays; these pieces are reportage and should be read as such. Malcolm's work in this book seems to me more about connecting with her subjects and her subjects' subjects (i.e. painting), which are also of great personal interest to her, and persuading them to reveal themselves and their unique relationships to their subjects -- an interest that differentiates her work from that of biographers who primarily seek gory childhood and marriage details. Not that M would refuse su...more
    Hank Stuever
    After the memorable title piece, which was fantastic when it first ran in the New Yorker and is still 98 percent as fantastic now (but caution to all writers who are thinking of aping it: the structure worked exactly once), most of the rest of these Malcolm articles should be labeled "for serious fans only."

These are deep -- and deeply intellectual -- essays on well-known and also arcane subjects of art, literature, photography. My favorite piece, after "Forty-One False Starts," is "Capitalist...more
    Aseem Kaul
    How amusing that a book called Forty-one False Starts should start off strong and gradually peter out towards the end!

The best pieces in Janet Malcolm's book are the ones in the beginning: the profile of David Salle that gives the book its title is one of the most creative and insightful pieces I've read in a long while, the piece on the Bloomsbury legend is fascinating, and her take on Salinger's Franny and Zooey left me itching to re-read that book.

The essays that follow are nowhere near as...more
    Tiffany
    I have always respected the ability of the pen. But I have never seen the sharpness and strength of the pen until I had read a Janet Malcolm piece. Malcolm's writing has always either opened my eyes to the art world, or forced me to appreciate how everything either stems from this world or attributes to it; everything contributes to everything, and has meaning. This collection of her essays has only served to deepen my respect for her and the pen as her instrument of wonder. I will honest that t...more
    Kristina Pasko
    I don't think I could call Malcolm one of my favorite writers (this is the first book of hers that I've read), and I don't really like her style (humorless, matter-of-fact, a bit bland) but it was a good exercise to see good literary (and art) criticism meant for popular consumption. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about Vanessa Bell (Virginia Woolf's sister).
    Rj
    A collection of Malcolm's short essays on art, artists, literature and film. A talented journalist and writer, her work is a pleasure to read.
    Catherine
    This fantastic collection of essays - covering David Salle, Edith Wharton, Julia Margaret Cameron, Virginia and Vanessa Bell, among others - is quite unlike any other I've read. Janet Malcolm takes the idea of "review" and "critique" to a different level. She truly is an original thinker and an incisive critic. I disagreed with almost everything she wrote in this collection, but, boy did she make me think. I was outraged, humbled, and enervated. I really want to have lunch with her.
    Faith McLellan
    Janet Malcolm is a genius. Her gifts are on full, and often chilling, display here. Full of erudition, razor-sharp judgments, icy observations. Learned and scary and admirable. Would not want to be on her bad side. Agree with other readers that the last two "chapters" are disastrous additions--are there any editors left? The chapter on Bloomsbury perhaps the best. I have read this collection over a day or so and feel as if run over by a truck--in a good way.
    Paul Wilner
    The Salinger piece is wonderful, and feisty, with several well-chosen ripostes in the direction of his detractors )Malcolm's specialty, in her gentlewoman's way) and the Virginia Woolf and Ingrid Sischy pieces are also delightful. (banal word, just read them and you will see, the Woolf thing in particular is just amazing, particularly acute in the way she dissects the relationship between Virginia and Vanessa).
    Trina
    Janet Malcolm is just SO SMART. And her essays, most of which have been published before in the New Yorker, but maybe not all of them, are quite diverse in both subject and writing style. These range from David Salle to Hilaire Belocq and everywhere in between. I read it in fits and starts, an essay here, another one a week later. Absolutely fascinating.
    refgoddess
    Excellent collection of essays on writers and artists. I was captured by "Salinger's cigarettes" and stuck around for Virginia Woolf and Gene Stratton Porter. There's nothing earth-shaking in Malcolm's assessments, but I like her voice, and she shares enough new (to me) factoids to make it interesting.
    Kirsti
    Most of this was over my head, but I enjoyed reading about so many artists and writers. And I thought it was interesting that all of the essays are extremely serious except for one she threw in toward the end, which is a review of the Gossip Girl series of novels.
    Aphra
    Amazing essays by an amazing writer.
    Alissa Wilkinson
    My reaction to Malcolm's quiet marrying of form and content - subtle enough that you could totally miss it - is to grasp my head in both hands, shake it violently, and yell AGGGGHHHH.
    Rob
    I had high hopes for this book, but was sadly disappointed. Only a few essays were worth the time. The signature essay was especially disappointing.
    Tobias
    The high points in here -- especially a long piece on Artforum in the mid-1980s and one on Bloomsbury -- are pretty essential.
    Mackenzie Brooks
    May have skimmed the Salinger essay, but enjoyed the Bloomsbury and Gossip Girl pieces. I love Janet Malcolm.
    Sara Serna
    Very curious to read these essays and consider my own "false starts" once my giveaway copy arrives!
    Todd Melby
    There's never a false start with Malcolm.
    Shannon O'Brien-LeBlanc
    Shannon O'Brien-LeBlanc marked it as to-read
    Jul 28, 2014
    Jessica Tanner Mills
    Jessica Tanner Mills marked it as to-read
    Jul 28, 2014
    Randi
    Randi marked it as to-read
    Jul 27, 2014
    Jacob Rowan
    Jacob Rowan marked it as to-read
    Jul 27, 2014
    • The Grey Album: Music, Shadows, Lies
    • The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning
    • White Girls
    • MFA vs. NYC: The Two Cultures of American Fiction
    The Silent Woman: Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes The Journalist and the Murderer Two Lives: Gertrude and Alice In the Freud Archives Iphigenia in Forest Hills: Anatomy of a Murder Trial

“Every amateur harbors the fantasy that his work is only waiting to be discovered; a second fantasy-that the established contemporary artists must also be frauds- is a necessary corollary” 1 likes
    “The distinguished dead are clay in the hands of writers, and chance determines the shapes that their characters assume in the books written about them.” 0 likes