Start by marking “Legion (Legion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legion (Legion, #1)

Legion (Legion #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  23,968 Ratings  ·  2,195 Reviews
Length: 2 hrs and 8 mins

Brandon Sanderson is one of the most significant fantasists to enter the field in a good many years. His ambitious, multi-volume epics (Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive) and his stellar continuation of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series have earned both critical acclaim and a substantial popular following. In Legion, a distinctly contemporary nov
Audible Audio, Digital Download, Unabridged, 3 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 by Audible Frontiers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.

Diogo Yeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or…moreYeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or else it wouldn't be much of a series.(less)

Patrick
Jan 29, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've yet to be disappointed by any Brandon Sanderson story I've picked up, and this novella continues his winning streak.

This is a cool take on a detective story, and honestly, I'd be surprised if someone in LA hasn't grabbed the rights to turn this into a TV show. It's a show I'd love to watch.

I only have two quibbles with this book, and it only relates to the Audio version, not with the story itself.

1. There were only two tracks on the audio version of the book, each about an hour long. Tha
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Nov 24, 2014 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: Kat Stark

2015 reads : Give me a flood of crazy people, 'kay?

Now, that was pretty awesome.

Wow. Stephen Leeds is the most intriguing and fascinating character I've read about for a very long time. Slightly disturbing - but in a good way, if that's possible, as he kept my interest with his multi-layered personality that we can't easily simplify. Now that I think about it, he gives a whole new meaning to the word multi-layered.

"The thing is, I'm really only the reclusive part. And maybe, admittedly, the
edge of bubble
My first Brandon Sanderson book -if we don't count WoT- and I was expecting to be thrown into an epic fantasy world, for some reason. I hadn't read anything about it beforehand.

It went more along the lines of this;

And caused me to start the story, feeling disoriented.

It was different, well written and didn't feel rushed despite being a novella. I loved the interactions between the hero and his imaginary friends.

But... I didn't enjoy the story. *it's not you book, it's me* I am left with with no
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Brilliant. This is just brilliant. And cool. Very cool.

Do I really have to review this story? It's too awesome for words. You really should just read it.
“Your hallucination . . .” “Yes?” “Your hallucination has hallucinations.” “Yes.” She settled back, looking disturbed.
Brandon Sanderson I love you. The premise of this story is pure genius.
“I’m not a hallucination,” J.C. snapped. “I have state
Danae
Jun 23, 2014 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope I meet Brandon Sanderson one day because I'd like to ask him what kind of subliminal drug he puts in his work. That has to be the explanation for why I couldn't stop reading while eating dinner, or why I stayed up extra late to finish the book when I knew it would cost me today and didn't care. Please don't stop though, Mr. Sanderson. I'll take all the subliminal drugs from you I can get.

Legion was a fun, laugh out loud story and I can't wait to see what crazy adventure happens in the nex
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is a nifty little science fiction/mystery novella, with the detective role played by Stephen Leeds and his legion of hallucinatory, brilliant alter egos.

The mystery, which involves a search for a mysterious camera that can take pictures of people and events at any time in the past, a device that's been used before in at least a couple of classic science fiction works that I know of, Isaac Asimov's short story The Dead Past and "E for Effort," a novella collected in The Science Fiction Hall
Armina
Jan 22, 2014 Armina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Gavin

Buddy reading book #2: Legion: Skin Deep tomorrow November 25th with the usual suspects. :) If you still haven't read this one, now is the time!

4.5 STARS

One of the best opening lines ever: "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I'm perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad."

This was a hilarious read not less amusing than Steelheart hence the rating I'm giving it.

Stephen Leeds, a.k.a. "Legion", is a genius whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personali
seak
Sep 13, 2012 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
With Brandon Sanderson, you can always expect something unique and well thought out. It's not even a question. Well, maybe a bit because of that whole finishing the Wheel of Time thing...but otherwise, you can expect what I just said.

That's one of the best parts about reading Sanderson. Yeah, he's got great characters, compelling plot twists and stuff. But what makes him a pleasure to read is the way he makes something like epic fantasy vibrant and new. His unique ideas and magic systems become
Robin (Bridge Four)
4 I see Imaginary People Stars.

Quick Re-read before Legion: Skin Deepis released.

If that isn’t a great opening line to a story I don’t know what is. Brandon Sanderson is great at thinking outside of the box and congratulations again on coming up with an incredibly unusual premise to write a story on.

I really like that the main character is a functional crazy person. Sure he has hallucinations bu
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Brandon Sanderson fan. I only recently become introduced to Sanderson a couple of months ago when I read Steelheart and I am starting to realize that I have really been missing out. This story was completely unique and entertaining. I love how different this story was from anything I have ever encountered before. This story is short but it is highly complex and detailed.

I decided to read this story becaus
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella
I've been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson for a number of reasons. His excellent Mistborn (he really knows how to develop a magic system and kick off a story with a bang). His participation with readers (such as him stopping in on reddit), his desire to bundle print and ebooks, and for his excellent writing classes (which have been video taped and posted).

So when I heard about this short story I picked it up immediately and read it in a single sitting. It was nice seeing the humor of this piece a
Kelly's ( Next Best Read )
"Your hallucinations has Hallucinations"

Well, Well, Well, this was such an intriguing read. It goes without saying that I love legion and his band of weird but loving personalities/aspects, that comes along with him. JC I must admit was my favorite. He had me in stitches.

This concept is amazing. The only downfall was that this was way too too short. I'm speeding off too read Skin Deep. I want more from these characters and Mr Leeds.

~~Sanderson Never Fails~~
Kaya Dimitrova
Mar 13, 2017 Kaya Dimitrova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
За първи път се срещам със стила на писане на Брандън Сандерсън и смея да твърдя, че няма да е за последен! Мистериозна камера, заснемаща личности от миналото, чийто собственик и изобретател е в неизвестност? Със сигурност случая, който Стивън Лийдс и „хората” му искат да поемат. Книгата беше напрегната, имаше достатъчно обрати, а за малкото страници действието се развиваше бързичко. Допадна ми и откачената нотка, която усещах, в следствие на шизофренията на главния герой и интересните и колорит ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
Why so shoooort?

description

Legion is a short story about Stephen Leeds who has multiple aspects.

I’m a Sandersonitis for life and when I saw this book in a book sale, I immediately grabbed it. (Of course I paid for it.) I know this book wouldn’t disappoint because it’s A BRANDON SANDERSON BOOK . His name alone is guarantee.

Although this book is only 88 pages (sooo shoooort), it’s still as awesome the way a S
Connor
Feb 07, 2017 Connor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My Video Review:

[3.5 Stars]

I really enjoyed this! I love meeting the different hallucinations and learning what their specialties are. I liked that this very lightly touches on holding yourself back and being in your own way preventing you from greatness. I thought that the plot suffered from the story being so short. There is hardly any struggle for the main character, so I wished we had seen him have to work a bit harder. We'll see how I feel about Skin Deep when I
Evgeny
Mar 15, 2013 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Stephen Leeds also known as Legion has multiple personality disorder. He would be a schizophrenic, but actually he is a genius, most probably the smartest currently living person. People ask him for help in two cases: either to study him, or to solve a very difficult problem - like an inventor disappearing with his invention and all related notes.

It is Brandon Sanderson. What else needs to be said? Good writing, interesting story. My only problem is that I could swear I read about exactly the sa
Phrynne
Dec 27, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only eighty pages long but they are eighty pages of sheer genius! Brandon Sanderson is a truly remarkable author and to be able to include so much in such a short novella is amazing. Luckily there is a sequel already in print which I believe is a bit longer. I will be searching it out immediately to find out what happens to Stephen Leeds and his multiple personae.
Elizabeth Sagan
Haha. Sanderson, you never cease to amaze me.
There isn't much to be said about Legion- it's just a short, funny, fast and interesting read. It's not mindblowing and it doesn't change your life, but it will refresh your mind. I think the best word to describe it is "cute". You can read it on a train or on a short flight and you'll be done with it in two hours easily.
(view spoiler) It was such a good idea. But we're talk
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Legion reminds me of Sherlock.

Legion has a "mental condition" and creates hallucinations - imaginary people with specialized abilities that help him solve things. This was a pretty good short story. I'm not sure I'd want to read a full-length novel about Legion, but this was an entertaining, quick read. There were a few really good one-liners. One of his hallucinations has hallucinations. It was fun.

Gavin
Nov 04, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've read this short contemporary fantasy novella multiple times and it is always an entertaining read. In this story Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,'and his multitude of 'aspects' are hired to track down the missing inventor of a potentially magical camera, which has the ability to take photos of the past. Stephen is a very likable character and he uses the knowledge gleaned from his various aspects to help him solve the case.

The best part of this has to be the witty banter between Stephen and his
Vilda
Rating: 3,5 stars

This was good, but I wish it had been longer. I'm very glad it has a sequel right now! I loved all of his hallucinations and they totally made the story. Especially the three we got to know the best; our walking Wikipedia, the Navy SEAL who doesn't believe he's a hallucination and the psychologist who's very aware of being a hallucination and analyzes our main character... I want a lot more of them!

My first Brandon Sanderson story and I can't wait to try more. I've heard great t
☽Luna☾
I hate short stories and never read them and I really hated the start of this book and I don't know why ! Hahaha I guess I have massive expectations from Brandon Sanderson and this just didn't hit the spot for me from the start like his other books did.

Towards the middle of this book I worked out what was going on. It is a beautifully written story and the characters are hilarious. This type of fantasy just isn't for me so I didn't like it and won't read the next. But it really isn't a horrible
Becky
I scooped this one up quicker than lightning when I heard it was available for free on Audible. I love me some BSands. And this story did not disappoint, though it wasn't at all what I expected.

In fact, the first little while of the story reminded me a lot of a Joe Hill story. I love both authors, and both are men I'd gladly leg-hump in a flicker of a heartbeat were I to run into either of them on the street... or in a bar... or in their kitchens.

But I digress.

I love both authors, but they ha
Sid
Feb 14, 2015 Sid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legion (1st instalment of the series) is a novella (and a short one at that) so I'm not telling you anything about the storyline. In true Snaderson style, it reads beautifully and unlike his immensely acclaimed Mistborn series which is an epic fantasy, this one is a sci-fi/crime hybrid. The premise is unique and intriguing. The characters are tremendously fascinating! I can't wait to start the next book. I took one star away only because i reserve 5 stars for books that leave me with myriad insi ...more
Kaora
Jan 23, 2014 Kaora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Stories.

I hate them. They are over FAR too quickly.

And never has this been more true than with this one: a story about Stephen Leeds, a unique (to say the least) who lives with hallucinations with a variety of skills (and mental conditions). A Navy Seal, a schizophrenic philosopher and many more. Skills he puts to use
solving the mystery of the stolen camera.

Never have I been more happy to see an expected publication date on a book.

GIVE ME BOOK TWO BRANDON.

Desinka
Jul 29, 2013 Desinka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read January 24-28, 2014: 4.5 stars but I'm rounding up because of the entertainment level. I really enjoyed this.

Reread November 24, 2014: Same rating, not full five stars because it was too short! I loved Steven and his aspects even more this second time:) I'm looking forward to learning more about the mysterious camera and his even more mysterious girlfriend tomorrow:)
Valerie
Mar 10, 2017 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay for boring classes and long bus rides. Got to read this gem because of those two, haha. And oh boy, did I enjoy it! The premise is so freaking awesome and I just found myself immersed in the story, and the characters, and the plot, and the little twists! I was so glad to find out that there's a sequel??
Mental disorders definitely suck in real life but it's soooo interesting to read about them, you know what I mean? Anyway, Brandon Sanderson just fails to fail me so far, super excited to rea
Alexa
Jul 22, 2014 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
When I was young I read Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities and while the book has been proved to be a sham, I still find the idea of multiple personalities fascinating, so I was obviously interested in this book.

And I have to say I loved Sanderson's take on multiple personalities and how it differs from the textbook disorder.

The characters (or should I say character?) are well thought, each quite distinctive and filling a specific niche in Stephen's lif
Clarissa Emiria
Re-read again November 27 2016..
Reading this again after so long, and reading it "manually" for the first time, I still heard the voices I'm used to from Oliver Wyman's narration in my head as I was reading, which made me smile to myself <3 I still love this story so, so much, and coming back to this story was really lovely :-)

I might just listen to Skin Deep right away, now that I'm thinking about it.. ^__^;

- - -

This was my first ANYthing by Brandon Sanderson, and so I don't know if this sto
Hassan
Sep 27, 2016 Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DAMN!!!!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!
Sanderson literally in 80 pages managed to create a character with multiple personalities a.k.a aspects with depth to each personality, let alone the depth of the main character himself, and all that was among solving a semi-complex crime.

it was an astounding story, and how Stephen uses his power is probably my favorite thing about it.

i only read the high fantasy books for Brandon Sanderson, and I LOVED THEM, but clearly Sanderson can write anything and it'll stil
Around the Year i...: Legion, by Brandon Sanderson 2 15 Oct 04, 2016 12:49PM
New books 10 140 Sep 11, 2014 12:20PM
Audiobooks: Free from Audible: Legion By Brandon Sanderson 2 132 Oct 08, 2012 10:06PM
The Sword and Laser: Brandon Sanderson's Legion FREE Audible till the end of 2012 (Except UK) 5 86 Oct 03, 2012 09:07AM
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • METAtropolis: The Dawn of Uncivilization
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
  • Into the Storm (Malcontents #1)
  • Unfettered
  • Dominion (The Coldfire Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Working for Bigfoot (The Dresden Files, #15.5)
  • By Grace and Banners Fallen: Prologue to A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Legion (2 books)
  • Skin Deep (Legion, #2)

“My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.” 55 likes
“You should know by now that I've already had greatness. I traded it for mediocrity and some measure of sanity.” 11 likes