Start by marking “Legion” as Want to Read:

Legion (Legion #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  17,397 ratings  ·  1,742 reviews
Brandon Sanderson is one of the most significant fantasists to enter the field in a good many years. His ambitious, multi-volume epics (Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive) and his stellar continuation of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series have earned both critical acclaim and a substantial popular following. In Legion, a distinctly contemporary novella filled with suspense ...more
Audible Audio, Digital Download, Unabridged, 3 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 by Audible Frontiers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.

Diogo Yeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or…moreYeah, they resolve most of the problems that arise within the book, of course there is still the overall plot, and some questions for next book, or else it wouldn't be much of a series.(less)

Kat Stark
Oct 12, 2015 Kat Stark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Robin (Bridge Four)
Shelves: fantasy

Second Book: Legion: Skin Deep

I really liked this one. Don't hate/judge me but this is my first Sanderson read. HEY! I said don't judge. I'll get to his series soon (all of them are on my TBR practically because you GR people rate them so damn high).

And really, I'm not surprised that this short story turned out to be great. Especially when it starts of with a bunch of people living inside a person's brain. Leeds has handfuls of people living in his mansion...only they're not really people. They
I've yet to be disappointed by any Brandon Sanderson story I've picked up, and this novella continues his winning streak.

This is a cool take on a detective story, and honestly, I'd be surprised if someone in LA hasn't grabbed the rights to turn this into a TV show. It's a show I'd love to watch.

I only have two quibbles with this book, and it only relates to the Audio version, not with the story itself.

1. There were only two tracks on the audio version of the book, each about an hour long. Tha

Buddy reading book #2: Legion: Skin Deep tomorrow November 25th with the usual suspects. :) If you still haven't read this one, now is the time!

One of the best opening lines ever: "My name is Stephen Leeds, and I'm perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad."

This was a hilarious read not less amusing than Steelheart hence the rating I'm giving it.

Stephen Leeds, a.k.a. "Legion", is a genius whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personali
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

Brilliant. This is just brilliant. And cool. Very cool.

Do I really have to review this story? It's too awesome for words. You really should just read it.
“Your hallucination . . .” “Yes?” “Your hallucination has hallucinations.” “Yes.” She settled back, looking disturbed.
Brandon Sanderson I love you. The premise of this story is pure genius.
“I’m not a hallucination,” J.C. snapped. “I have state
I hope I meet Brandon Sanderson one day because I'd like to ask him what kind of subliminal drug he puts in his work. That has to be the explanation for why I couldn't stop reading while eating dinner, or why I stayed up extra late to finish the book when I knew it would cost me today and didn't care. Please don't stop though, Mr. Sanderson. I'll take all the subliminal drugs from you I can get.

Legion was a fun, laugh out loud story and I can't wait to see what crazy adventure happens in the nex
With Brandon Sanderson, you can always expect something unique and well thought out. It's not even a question. Well, maybe a bit because of that whole finishing the Wheel of Time thing...but otherwise, you can expect what I just said.

That's one of the best parts about reading Sanderson. Yeah, he's got great characters, compelling plot twists and stuff. But what makes him a pleasure to read is the way he makes something like epic fantasy vibrant and new. His unique ideas and magic systems become
Robin (Bridge Four)
4 I see Imaginary People Stars.

Quick Re-read before Legion: Skin Deepis released.

If that isn’t a great opening line to a story I don’t know what is. Brandon Sanderson is great at thinking outside of the box and congratulations again on coming up with an incredibly unusual premise to write a story on.

I really like that the main character is a functional crazy person. Sure he has hallucinations bu
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I am quickly becoming a HUGE Brandon Sanderson fan. I only recently become introduced to Sanderson a couple of months ago when I read Steelheart and I am starting to realize that I have really been missing out. This story was completely unique and entertaining. I love how different this story was from anything I have ever encountered before. This story is short but it is highly complex and detailed.

I decided to read this story becaus
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘

Now, that was pretty awesome.

Wow. Stephen Leeds is the most intriguing and fascinating character I've read about for a very long time. Slightly disturbing - but in a good way, if that's possible, as he kept my interest with his multi-layered personality that we can't easily simplify. Now that I think about it, he gives a whole new meaning to the word multi-layered.

"The thing is, I'm really only the reclusive part. And maybe, admittedly, the jerk part. When you have that mix, people generally
I've been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson for a number of reasons. His excellent Mistborn (he really knows how to develop a magic system and kick off a story with a bang). His participation with readers (such as him stopping in on reddit), his desire to bundle print and ebooks, and for his excellent writing classes (which have been video taped and posted).

So when I heard about this short story I picked it up immediately and read it in a single sitting. It was nice seeing the humor of this piece a
Paige  Bookdragon
Why so shoooort?

Legion is a short story about Stephen Leeds who has multiple aspects.

I’m a Sandersonitis for life and when I saw this book in a book sale, I immediately grabbed it. (Of course I paid for it.) I know this book wouldn’t disappoint because it’s A BRANDON SANDERSON BOOK . His name alone is guarantee.

Although this book is only 88 pages (sooo shoooort), it’s still as awesome the way a S
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
This is a nifty little science fiction/mystery novella, with the detective role played by Stephen Leeds and his legion of hallucinatory, brilliant alter egos.

The mystery, which involves a search for a mysterious camera that can take pictures of people and events at any time in the past, a device that's been used before in at least a couple of classic science fiction works that I know of, Isaac Asimov's short story The Dead Past and "E for Effort," a novella collected in The Science Fiction Hall
Stephen Leeds also known as Legion has multiple personality disorder. He would be a schizophrenic, but actually he is a genius, most probably the smartest currently living person. People ask him for help in two cases: either to study him, or to solve a very difficult problem - like an inventor disappearing with his invention and all related notes.

It is Brandon Sanderson. What else needs to be said? Good writing, interesting story. My only problem is that I could swear I read about exactly the sa
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
Legion reminds me of Sherlock.

Legion has a "mental condition" and creates hallucinations - imaginary people with specialized abilities that help him solve things. This was a pretty good short story. I'm not sure I'd want to read a full-length novel about Legion, but this was an entertaining, quick read. There were a few really good one-liners. One of his hallucinations has hallucinations. It was fun.

I've read this short contemporary fantasy novella multiple times and it is always an entertaining read. In this story Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,'and his multitude of 'aspects' are hired to track down the missing inventor of a potentially magical camera, which has the ability to take photos of the past. Stephen is a very likable character and he uses the knowledge gleaned from his various aspects to help him solve the case.

The best part of this has to be the witty banter between Stephen and his
Short Stories.

I hate them. They are over FAR too quickly.

And never has this been more true than with this one: a story about Stephen Leeds, a unique (to say the least) who lives with hallucinations with a variety of skills (and mental conditions). A Navy Seal, a schizophrenic philosopher and many more. Skills he puts to use
solving the mystery of the stolen camera.

Never have I been more happy to see an expected publication date on a book.

I scooped this one up quicker than lightning when I heard it was available for free on Audible. I love me some BSands. And this story did not disappoint, though it wasn't at all what I expected.

In fact, the first little while of the story reminded me a lot of a Joe Hill story. I love both authors, and both are men I'd gladly leg-hump in a flicker of a heartbeat were I to run into either of them on the street... or in a bar... or in their kitchens.

But I digress.

I love both authors, but they ha
First read January 24-28, 2014: 4.5 stars but I'm rounding up because of the entertainment level. I really enjoyed this.

Reread November 24, 2014: Same rating, not full five stars because it was too short! I loved Steven and his aspects even more this second time:) I'm looking forward to learning more about the mysterious camera and his even more mysterious girlfriend tomorrow:)
When I was young I read Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities and while the book has been proved to be a sham, I still find the idea of multiple personalities fascinating, so I was obviously interested in this book.

And I have to say I loved Sanderson's take on multiple personalities and how it differs from the textbook disorder.

The characters (or should I say character?) are well thought, each quite distinctive and filling a specific niche in Stephen's lif
Legion (1st instalment of the series) is a novella (and a short one at that) so I'm not telling you anything about the storyline. In true Snaderson style, it reads beautifully and unlike his immensely acclaimed Mistborn series which is an epic fantasy, this one is a sci-fi/crime hybrid. The premise is unique and intriguing. The characters are tremendously fascinating! I can't wait to start the next book. I took one star away only because i reserve 5 stars for books that leave me with myriad insi ...more
I don't know if there is anything that Sanderson writes that I will not like. He straight to the point, give you the facts and lets you process the rest on your own. He knows how to develop characters that you both hate or love. This was short and good, and I want more!!!

Kat  Hooper
3.5 stars Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

I’m a fan of Brandon Sanderson’s vivid imagination, so I was happy to get a copy of Legion, his new 88 page stand-alone novella. It’s about Stephen Leeds, a man who’s been diagnosed with schizophrenia because he sees and hears people who don’t exist. The thing about Stephen, though, is that unlike most schizophrenics’ hallucinations, the people in Stephen’s head actually help him. They all have their own talents and areas of expertise (and their
Huh , mogao bi ja dobit batina zbog ovih niskih ocjena koje dajem Sandersonu :)

Ideja jeste interesantna i u trenutcima jako smiješna zbog likova , ali sam neimpresionisan realizacijom .

Od mene trojka .
Leon Aldrich
A long time fan of Sanderson's, I reserved this book from my local library. A novella of less than 100 pages, this paranormal fare should be read by anyone who likes: fantasy, science fiction, paranormal fiction, thrillers, and the authors Stephen King, Dean Koontz, & Anne Rice (just for starters).

That was fun! This book had such a cool concept - possibly the smartest man in the world with hallucinations that had their own specializations and even their own hallucinations - that the ending felt too soon. Sanderson could have done so much more with Mr. Leeds and his hallucinations, and there were only a handful of them from the 47 mentioned. I wish he would write more about this character, because I'd very much love to meet the other hallucinations.

Also, I was so entertained with all the F
My first Sanderson!

Good, quick read about genius Stephen Leeds and his large assortment of helpful hallucinations. Need to learn a language? Scan a book, and a new hallucination appears with complete knowledge of the language. Useful, right?

This one was fun, humorous in places, and way too short. The potential with this character and series is great. While it's not marketed as such, it definitely has a noir feel to it, too.

Glad I have the next (longer) book to start into right away!
Maria Casacalenda (Big City Bookworm)
3.5 stars rated up

A lot of book bloggers praise the work of Brandon Sanderson and he is mentioned in a lot of people’s favourite authors list, but I personally had never read a novel written by him. I honestly had no idea where to start. I have recently started listening to audio books through Audible which was where I spotted Legion on sale for a great bargain price. The synopsis intrigued me and I thought, what better way is there to join the Brandon Sanderson experience other than a cheap a
Brandon Zarzyczny
I read this last night, and I absolutely loved it. The writing is of course great, and the ideas present are very interesting. My only problem with his concept of a camera seeing into the past is that at one point he debunks it, but then when it works he just kind of goes "oh well". It seemed slightly lazy for a master in magic systems, however there are hints that Leeds is trying to figure it out at the end. At the same time, I enjoyed how the possibility of the different unlikely factors in th ...more
It hurts to give this just three stars but I want to be honest.

The truth is this: this is absolutely brilliant. The concept is made of win, the characters are cool, well-fleshed out (even those who strictly speaking don't exist) and it's even a fun read (normally, when I think Brandon Sanderson, I don't think funny but this is definitely funny). You can really feel Sanderson's hand at work here - it's so typical for him to write characters like these. They're all flawed but loveable and for such
Wyatt Packard
"My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad." This may very well be the best opening line ever.

As Stephen says, he see's people who aren't really there. They are his aspects and have skills Stephen himself does not possess. He needs a translator. Bam! There's an aspect for that. His own psychologist. Meet Ivy. Someone with a slew of random information. Tobias is here for you. Stephen does not just use his aspects , but he treats them as frien
New books 10 138 Sep 11, 2014 12:20PM
Audiobooks: Free from Audible: Legion By Brandon Sanderson 2 113 Oct 08, 2012 10:06PM
The Sword and Laser: Brandon Sanderson's Legion FREE Audible till the end of 2012 (Except UK) 5 83 Oct 03, 2012 09:07AM
  • Earth Below, Sky Above (The Human Division, #13)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • By Grace and Banners Fallen: Prologue to A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time)
  • Unfettered
  • Dominion (The Coldfire Trilogy, #0.5)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Legion (2 books)
  • Skin Deep (Legion, #2)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.” 44 likes
“I’m not going more mad,” I said. “I’ve stabilized. I’m practically normal. Even my non-hallucinatory psychiatrist acknowledges that.” 10 likes