Start by marking “The 100: Count ONLY Sugar Calories and Lose Up to 18 Lbs. in 2 Weeks” as Want to Read:
The 100: Count ONLY Sugar Calories and Lose Up to 18 Lbs. in 2 Weeks

The 100: Count ONLY Sugar Calories and Lose Up to 18 Lbs. in 2 Weeks

Be a part of the diet revolution and change your relationship with calories forever

America's favorite diet and fitness expert, Jorge Cruise, will change the way you think about calories. For years, conventional wisdom has continued to state the wrong and outdated research that says simply counting calories is the key to weight loss, and if you cannot follow that plan, you
Published May 21st 2013 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The 100, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 100

D.G. Kaye
Jun 04, 2014 D.G. Kaye rated it really liked it
As a woman who is eagerly learning of new weight loss strategies to fend of the curse of 'middle-age spread' and 5 newfound pounds, I have been reading up on how the body processes foods we ingest. From what I've read I can definitely agree with the ideology that carbs turn into sugar and they are what creates stubborn weight gain when eaten in excess. Excess doesn't necessarily correlate with eating large amounts of food, more like the amount of sugar that is in even a reasonable portion. This ...more
Monta
Feb 04, 2014 Monta rated it really liked it
As I begin to struggle with pre-diabetes--which is actually a carbohydrate metabolism disease--I am looking for diet ideas to implement in my life. I thought this book was well written, easy to read, and not as extreme as some other books I've recently read. The author also gives food lists and recipes. Very helpful and very practical.
BT
May 08, 2014 BT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's simple to follow. Provides you with a shopping list. I tried it and it worked for me. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. I didn't realize how much of my diet was full of carbs. GREAT book!
فاطِمة
Aug 20, 2015 فاطِمة rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قرأت اصدار جرير باللغة العربية .. وأنصح الكل بقراءته !!
False Millennium
Nov 12, 2013 False Millennium rated it did not like it
I found his principles easy enough to understand, but the recipes were boring and made no sense--to whit...why would you want to follow this plan when there are so many more out there?
Cynthia
Sep 18, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was ok
Basically take the carbs in an item and x 4. Don't go over 100 And you'll lose 18 lbs in 2 weeks. impossible for me since i live in sugar alone. Skimmed this book.
Kari Hill
Sep 03, 2013 Kari Hill rated it it was amazing
Makes sense!!
Bobbi
Jan 10, 2014 Bobbi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-cover
I tried this diet and in about 6 weeks I lost almost 20 pounds. I felt better and no longer had a grain brain.
Marilee White
Nov 23, 2015 Marilee White rated it really liked it
Good concepts that are healthier for me personally.
Eman Allawati
Mar 03, 2016 Eman Allawati rated it really liked it
The traditional advice we get whenever we want to lose weight is : Eat less, move more! It works but sometimes its not effective for everyone! this is what Jorge Cruise explains in his book. Counting calories is not the ultimate solution for losing weight and maintaining long term health. Its not about the quantity of the food only its also the quality of what you are eating which most of the people don't consider it nowadays. Jorge Cruise Philosophy of losing weight is: you don't have to count ...more
Y
Pretty much half of the audiobook is in pdf format, which never open for me when I borrow audiobooks from the library, so aside from the recipes/meal plans, I can't really rate the other information that was in the book.

Still, the first half of the book largely covered history and went over the biology and chemistry of (supposedly) why the author's way of eating in this book works, and that was entertaining enough, since a lot of health books skim over those parts.

I haven't tried the diet, but j
Shana Simmons
Jan 25, 2014 Shana Simmons rated it really liked it
It was so interesting that this book showed how history effected food studies and the science that was used in America. I'm also glad that Jorge also included a section on how corporations who depend on sugar consumption to remain profitable use money to sway people in power to believe that sugar isn't bad for us. It's only logical that they would keep the evils of sugar from the public as much as possible. I loved that a calorie is defined in this book I always wondered what exactly one was, ha ...more
Heather
Sep 17, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
I've already started cutting my sugar this morning at coffee with just milk. I liked the information about sugar and the history of diet throughout the ages. I also enjoyed listening to how sugar affects the body and how it's processed throughout your body. There were some good motivational ideas in this book and I look forward to cutting back on my sugar. I would recommend this book to anyone that is interested in their diet and information on health. This book does not talk much about fitness ...more
Tanya
Not happy that exercise is not strongly endorsed in this book. Thought the recommendation for 300 calories daily from carbohydrates is more reasonable and corresponds better with a desired weight loss of a pound or so a week. Some typos in the book, such as saying 3100 calories = one pound of weight loss. Some recommendations backed with info from the literature. The interviews within the text were a bit distracting, but I did like hearing a researchers point of view.
Tiffani Long
May 18, 2014 Tiffani Long rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I don't 100% agree with all things said in this book but I do think there is a lot of significance to insulin and sugar calories regarding weight or struggling with weight loss. As a sugar monster myself, I really thought it was very informative and eye opening for me...especially sugar being like an opiate and how our bodies react to sugar intake. so many of my complaints line up with some changes I could make based on what I learned while reading this...
Janai
Sep 16, 2013 Janai rated it really liked it
I can understand why alot of people don't like it because it contradicts to what we have come to know as "healthy eating with excerise" (calorie counting). Loved how the book broke down past history and developments that have effected many people today. While reading i didn't agree what he was saying at first but then he broke it down and i'd say he did a good job of research to come up with this information. Going to try it out.
Alicia
Feb 10, 2014 Alicia rated it really liked it
If you are a diabetic looking for a new way to navigate your daily choices and need some structure....this is a great book. It is very similar to what we are advised to do by our diabetic educators, dietitians, endocrinologist, and even family medicine. It is nice to have a shopping list, menu plans, and to eat food that tastes good and is filling. All the foods were easy to purchase locally at the supermarket, no special pills or powders.
I enjoyed this book and recommend it highly!
Kimberly
Feb 09, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Interesting history of the theory of weight loss and what causes us to gain weight. His conclusion based on over a century of research is carbs. He recommends counting what he calls sugar calories only. Those are carbs which turn to sugar and then to fat. It is simple to follow. The book is written simply and is easy to read.
Brandi
Jun 15, 2013 Brandi rated it it was amazing
I like the first 1/3 of the book and the way he breaks down the difference between modern day eating and the way we should be eating...The menu seems easy to follow and i will be starting tomorrow. Therefore, I will update my rating and my review when the two weeks is over, but wish me luck! Hopefully i'll be 18 pounds down!
Rosemary
Sep 06, 2016 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An easy read that describes (again) what our bodies do with the sugar in food, releasing insulin and how detrimental continued elevated insulin levels is for the body. He also compares the most popular diets on the market. I always like refreshers like this; they help me re-dedicate myself.
Bradoicich
Dec 11, 2015 Bradoicich rated it it was amazing
I am from a family of type 2 diabetics, so learning about how various foods break down in the digestive process was very valuable to me. While I do not need to lose weight, I intend to incorporate what I have learned to avoid diabetes as I age.
Reina
Jan 07, 2014 Reina rated it really liked it
I love how this book gave so much info on diets, and why they don't work, as well as historical background of "dieting". The menus seem well planned out, although I prefer to try to follow as closely as I can using my own recipes that I gather.
Gayle
Aug 09, 2013 Gayle rated it really liked it
Going to try it out - September 3rd... after the vacation at the lake and the State Fair :-)
Christine
Overall I liked it and found it helpful. The history of weight loss and nutrition research was interesting. Similar to "Dr. Gott's No Sugar, No Flour Diet" book, only with more info.
Paul
Jul 04, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Necessary info here

The best part of this work is to show the path that the western diet had taken. Sound info. This is a simple, yet time-tested manual for eating.
Nikki Penda
Dec 16, 2013 Nikki Penda rated it did not like it
Not understanding how this is very different than Atkins. Hated all the history because I felt like it wasn't really substantiated. Disappointed.
Jenna
Dec 22, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it
Poorly written but I think the science makes sense.
Raquel Richardson
Jun 02, 2014 Raquel Richardson rated it really liked it
Sugar! Great breakdown of how to count sugar and why it's making our bodies struggle.
Dana
Apr 11, 2016 Dana rated it liked it
100 added sugar calories daily. I should try it.
Courtney
Jul 20, 2013 Courtney rated it did not like it
I love Jorge's philosophies and methods, but this book has no new information for me. Contractual obligation with his publisher?
  • The Schwarzbein Principle
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Thin Within
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Insulin-Resistance Diet
  • Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health
  • Brain Changer: How Harnessing Your Brain's Power to Adapt Can Change Your Life
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat
  • The Search for Anne Perry
  • Flat Belly Diet!
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • The Plan: Lose Weight Fast and Forever by Eating the Right Foods for Your Body
  • 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
  • Keeping Hope Alive: One Woman: 90,000 Lives Changed
  • Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal — An A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating
  • Networks Without a Cause: A Critique of Social Media

“Not only does eating too much sugar lead to obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay, it is also one of the biggest contributors to low energy and feelings of being overwhelmed—it has even been scientifically linked to depression.” 0 likes
“The Workout Do one set of 8 to 12 repetitions, and then immediately do one set of 8 to 12 reps of the next exercise, continue until all moves have been completed. If you can do an exercise more than 12 times, the weight is too light. If you can’t reach 12 repetitions, the weight is too heavy. Dumbbell Press Lie on a mat on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. You may place one or more pillows under your back and head for support. Holding a dumbbell in each hand, bring your elbows in line with your shoulders, making a right angle between your upper arm and your side. Exhale as you extend your arms and press the” 0 likes