Start by marking “The Tower” as Want to Read:
The Tower

The Tower (Sancti Trilogy #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,006 ratings  ·  138 reviews
After the risecomes the fall

When a cyber-attack at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland disables the Hubble telescope and the Nobel Prize–winning scientist in charge disappears, the only clues left behind are a cryptic countdown clock and a chilling message displayed on the missing man's computer: Mankind Must Look No Further.

Newly appointed FBI agent Joe Shepher...more
Published June 11th 2013 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2013)

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson1984 by George Orwell
Conspiracy Fiction
243rd out of 1,275 books — 730 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Constantly Want to Reread
86th out of 170 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Raven
And here endeth the lesson in how to write a really good religious conspiracy thriller, as The Tower brings to a close this excellent trilogy. Beginning with Sanctus and The Key, this final instalment instantly propels you back into the world so succinctly and powerfully portrayed in the first two books. I instantly took to these books, despite my original and somewhat cynical poo-pooing of this genre, thanks to the scars left by reading other less effective authors of this kind of fare. I can s...more
Andy
Real tough one to review is the crux of it......

The opening 100pgs are really very good, plenty of action & at the nub of the mystery, all is unfolding & lots of Oh yeah....! Sound! moments, and it's here that the short chapters style works but.... it jus becomes relentless & before long yer halfway through the book & not a lot is going on to warrant this short choppy style & its a real draaaaag - i think ive been here before as well with this trilogy too - so more fool me wi...more
 Frenchie
This review is from: The Tower (Sancti Trilogy 3) (Kindle Edition)
Oh my, what a read!
Hubble, the world's Mega Universe star gazing telescope, stationed at Goddard, has been moved from its orbit. It is now watching a little spot in the desert. Its counterpart, James Webb at Marshall, has been totally destroyed. Two eminent scientists looking after them are on the run. But are they suspects or targets of a sinister, secret organisation?
Strange messages appear on computer terminals and a countdown...more
Cath
The third, and final, in the unfolding tale of the Key and the Sanctus. Whilst I enjoyed the story, and liked being able to have a firm conclusion to the book, it lacked the excitement and complexity of the two previous books.
Worth reading to find out what happens to the heroes, and indeed, civilisation and the world, but whilst I am sure it is intended to make you think about your life, it left me when I finished the last chapter and I have given it little thought since.
Disappointing end to the...more
Peter Cresswell
Dissapointing conclusion to the Santus Trilogy.
An ok read but the book has major problems, too many to list so I will just touch on the books biggest failing.
After spending two books getting us to care for the 2 main characters (Liv and Gabriel)- in this concluding book they are completely sidelined into very minor characters and we are introduced to a completly new character who will now be the focus of the book.
Shawn Spjut
The Tower; Simon Toyne, 2013; William Morrow

So I've finished the third book in the Ruin Trilogy and I will tell you'all that The Tower was every bit as good as Sanctus and The Key; not too shabby for a first time author.

That we should all be so favored as to produce such a great story the fist time out of the gate. It's a good thing that I am eternally optimistic or I'd go shoot myself now.

Just kidding!

No not really!

Panic attack aside, I really did enjoy the book and am pleased that I've got ano...more
Daniel Nickle
First of all I should disclose that I am a Simon Toyne fan. He captivated me with the first book of his trilogy, Sanctus. The notion of an underground movement to release the Goddess into our male dominated world I found to be truly original. The idea became more and more plausible as Mr. Toyne continued his story into the second book The Key. By the time I finished reading this second installment, I couldn’t believe I was expected to wait for the author to finish writing the third and for it t...more
Vicki Elia
Audiobook Review

In the final book of the Sanctus Trilogy, Toyne concludes this saga in sheer religious apocalyptic fashion. For readers, you must read Sanctus and the Key for this book to have any coherence. Events in the Key predict much of the outcomes of The Tower.

As a non-conspiracy non-religious reader, I would have had difficulty understanding or appreciating much of the plot without 12 years of Catholic school. Otherwise, I would have quit at book 1.

Toyne's writing is remarkable in flow,...more
Patricia
I liked this book a bit more than the second one (The Key) but I was a bit disappointed about how the story ended. Again, the personality of previous characters is repeated again and I think the end was a bit forced. The first book (Sanctus) was very promising, but in the end I feel the ending could have been a better one.
C. Stuchl
This was an audio book. I loved every word. What a ride. I was painting a small room and listened to this book while working. It was totally interesting and I would recommend it to all. It like a tangled string. So many things happening at once. Never a dull moment. Murder, conspiracy, plague, and more.
Kate
I've loved the Sanctus trilogy - hugely evocative and atmospheric mystery thrillers, centered around the most ancient city of Ruin, at the heart of which lies the Citadel. This final novel is a little different, balancing the stories of familiar figures in the Middle East with a different quest by new characters in the United States. It all comes together almost perfectly. The sad news, though, is that this is it. I'm grateful to Simon Toyne for these three novels. Each has brought me so much pl...more
Joe Bowen
The short version of what I thought is: Interesting but semi-predictable. It is a decent choice if your favourite genre is Conspiracy Thrillers. However, if the genre is an occasional pleasure for you rather than a heavyweight of your bookshelf - save yourself the time.

The book begins with some reasonably interesting events that lure you to reading the first 50% or so, very quickly. I remember reading at least 220 pages of it within a day. However, from that point there is very little intrigue -...more
Dionne Dussard
oh my gosh what an amazing religious conspiracy thriller. I found it hard to put this amazing conclusion to the trilogy.

it was well written exceptionally researched and managed be be just religious enough. there was no overt religious agenda but at the same time not religion bashing.

I would highly recommend this trilogy. if you have never read a religious thriller I would say this trilogy is a great place to start.

This book brought the story to a close very neatly.
Siobhan
Like the first two books in the trilogy the conclusion is fast paced and keeps you entertained from the beginning until the end. However, sadly, I will say that like the second book in the trilogy I found myself somewhat annoyed by predictable moments that I managed to work out well in advance. As a whole it was a great conclusion to the series – I was not at all disappointed – I simply expected better twists and turns to appear at certain points, much like what we saw in the first book.

As a con...more
Jerrie
When I first began reading the final book in this great trilogy I was not sure I cared for the layout very much. As I got farther into the book though I enjoyed the way it was written and it brought more to the story for me. I feel the author did a great job of pulling all three books together and I thought the ending was original. I found it to be an easy and quick read and greatly enjoyed the whole series.
Emily
I enjoyed this trilogy. I think it could have used more in-depth exploration of the Sanctus and The Mala "religions" and more "starmap" intrigue, but I liked the premise. If he writes more books he needs to dig deeper.
Aaron Advani
A very good end to the trilogy tying things up nicely.
Overall as a trilogy it works really well and keeps you hooked all the way through, for me its better than the Da Vinci Code as its better written, more believable and the author actually carries through with the initial idea.
Hope he can write something equally as good next time out, will be difficult to follow this.
Ard
Fine conclusion to the Sanctus trilogy. An above average thriller about religion, history, science and myth. I raced through this book and loved it.
Berni
Great end to a trilogy!
Cheryl
Sep 27, 2014 Cheryl added it
Wow. What an ending. A little bit simplistic for such a complicated story, but nonetheless satisfying. Especially since volume three is very reflective of life as we know it now, but with some implausible plot twists. Just out there enough that I could get engrossed and pretty much accept it, but still know it was fiction, sort of. Does that make sense?
Highly recommend the trilogy, which I could not put down once I started it (all those finished on dates were made up because I forget to put boo...more
Ana Elena
Si eres fan del thriller conspirativo, si los best sellers de Dan Brown te hacen latir el corazón a mil, recuerda este nombre: Simon Toyne.Colección ebook+: Del autor a su lector. Entra en el mundo de su obra.El FBI investiga un caso muy extraño: la NASA ha perdido el control del telescopio Hubble, que ahora apunta hacia l a tierra. En todas las pantallas del control solo hay un mensaje: la humanidad no debe buscar más lejos. Poco después, comienzan a producirse extraños fenómenos naturales, y u...more
Linda
Absolutely brilliant! Loved every page. Amazing story and kept me hooked right to the end. Would seriously recommend this trilogy.
Jed
Very enjoyable read, didn't want to put it down.
Francesca
Wow, the rollercoaster that is this series has come to an end. It didn't go out with quite the bang I would have hoped for but this entire book had me on the edge of my seat. The dual timelines worked really well for slowly filling in the gaps and beefing up the story. The new characters had great perspectives even though I was initally thrown off by the sudden change.

I would have liked to see a bit more of Liv in the present, the ending did feel very rushed and disjointed, with a few cliché "a...more
Graeme Stokes
The end of an enthralling trilogy or the beginning...

Newly appointed FBI agent Joe Shepherd, a former academic star with degrees in astrophysics and computer science, is uniquely qualified t...more
Matt
Toyne completes his trilogy with the most powerful book yet. Using quotes from the Old Testament and the Book of Revelations to predict how modern technology and scientific advancements mark the End of Days, Toyne paints a wonderfully complex thriller with strong ties to the previous books. Toyne uses multiple storylines to construct a larger tale in which explosive revelations are only the beginning. No one is safe from the Apocalypse, but some have their lives set to end prematurely for their...more
Miles
Full Review on my blog:- http://www.milorambles.com/2013/04/20...

The End of Days has arrived in the form of the final instalment in the Sancti trilogy – The Tower. Only time will tell if this really does mean the end of life as we know it and only Simon Toyne, author of the three books, can tell us how it all unfolds and ultimately ends.

When I first read Sanctus back in April 2011 I was, like so many other readers, completely captivated by the city of Ruin in Turkey. Readers wanted to travel to...more
Ethan
In 2011, I was introduced to the religious conspiracy thriller, Sanctus, by Simon Toyne. While Sanctus shared some similarities with the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown, I was impressed with the way Toyne was able to take the phenomenon that was surrounding religious thrillers and make something uniquely his own.

In The Tower, the third and final novel in Toyne's Sancti Trilogy, we meet Joe Shepherd. While still a student at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Shepherd is temporarily given the qualif...more
Vickie
So here's the end, but what is missing?
The Tower concludes Toyne's religious conspiracy thriller trilogy in true Dan Brown style.
The story picks up after Liv is left in the middle of the desert with the Starmap trying to decipher its message and all she sees is "the end of days" in eight months' time. This phrase would be used ad infinitim throughout the book building dread that judgement day and the destruction of the world as we know it was imminent. Meanwhile Gabriel made his torturous way b...more
Steven
The big shaggy dog of a religious conspiracy trilogy comes gallumphing to an end, a bit disappointingly as Toyne resolves matters clearly, if unexciting, and leaves some major point unanswered. While the central MacGuffin is vaguely science fictional, I'm not sure his cosmology quite works, and the philosophical underpinning of the cosmology strains credulity to the maximum. He also doesn't answer the fantasy elements that he used at points -- what about the Sacrament, where it went, how oil was...more
The Tower, the final chapter 3 17 Aug 07, 2014 01:39AM
  • Carpathian (Event Group Adventure, #8)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Innocent Blood (The Order of the Sanguines, #2)
  • The Romanov Cross
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • The Hunters
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • Dourado
  • The Labyrinth of Osiris
  • Cold Killing (D.I. Sean Corrigan #1)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • Prime (Chess Team Adventure, #.5)
  • The Genesis Plague
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The City of Shadows
Simon Toyne graduated from Goldsmiths College in London with a degree in English and Drama then worked in television for almost twenty years before becoming a novelist.
More about Simon Toyne...
Sanctus The Key Sanctus: Part Three The Key: Part One Sanctus: Part One