Start by marking “My Awesome Place: Autobiography of Cheryl Burke” as Want to Read:
My Awesome Place: Autobiography of Cheryl Burke

My Awesome Place: Autobiography of Cheryl Burke

A rare authentic glimpse into the electrifying arts scene of New York City’s East Village during the vibrant 1990s, My Awesome Place is the chronicle of a movement through the eyes of one young woman working to cultivate her voice while making peace with her difficult, often abusive, family.

An unlikely story for someone whose guidance counselor recommended a career as a to
Hardcover, Hardcover, 208 pages
Published October 23rd 2012 by Topside Signature (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Awesome Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Awesome Place

Stephanie Schroeder
Oct 09, 2012 Stephanie Schroeder rated it it was amazing
My Awesome Place illuminates, in excruciating detail and with hilarious social commentary, the author’s rise from the ashes of a bullying, dysfunctional family of origin and troubled young adulthood to darling of the 1990s spoken word scene. The writing is electric and edgy while her story is transfixing. A survivor of abuse and addiction both familial and self-inflicted, Cheryl B carried her wounds with her and used them to make/leave her mark on the queer literary scene --and the world. An ...more
Betsy Housten
Jan 07, 2013 Betsy Housten rated it liked it
Three stars for the form, which is an unfortunate distraction from the content. The fact that the book was put together from disparate sources by Burke's friends after her death is no excuse for the sloppy editing that, in my opinion, is a bit of a dishonor to her memory and her legendary status in the NYC queer literary scene. Innumerable typos, tense fluctuations and narrative inconsistencies abound, taking away from the otherwise-engaging storyline.
Larry-bob Roberts
Blazed through the book - I found it very engaging. Really regret that I didn't have the chance to meet Cheryl in person. Portrays that reality that relationships, particularly with family, are made of a tangle of feelings, from trauma to laughter, from hate to love. Pleased to see that the book was recognized with a Lambda Award in the Bisexual Literature category.
Elizabeth
Dec 28, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bitingly funny and insightful, it broke my heart and made me want to do more. Like Cheryl B.'s life, it's over too quickly. I wish there were more.
Bevin
Cheryl’s friends and her literary executor put together her memoir work so that it could be published and we can know more about her life. Like what it was like to grow up in Staten Island and New Jersey in an alcoholic home with a controlling mom and a dad who broke a plate of spaghetti over her head when she told him she got into NYU. How she drowned her feelings in alcohol and drugs but also learned how to trust her creative spirit. How she became this amazing poet and performer and made a ...more
Derrick
Oct 19, 2014 Derrick rated it it was amazing
well she calls me "keith" in the book and i almost deduct a star for that because its my least favorite name. for me this book is painful to read, but thats because i loved her. at the same time i think everyone should read it. she'd be so thrilled.
besides my name, my only disappointment in the book is that there isn't more of her poetry in it, so in some ways the book strikes me as a portrait of an artist without any of the art.
but hopefully the book inspires people to look up her art online.
Piepie
Jan 13, 2013 Piepie rated it really liked it
Cheryl B came of age in the writing/performing arts scene in NY in the 90s-2000s. She died of bleomycin poisoning while being treated for lymphoma in 2011. Her autobiography was finished after her death by members of her writing group.

I enjoyed this (at times painful) memoir which begins with her childhood on Staten Island & NJ and leads you through her college years and on thru her life as a writer & performance artist in NY, concluding with her cancer diagnosis & death.
Lisa Haas
Nov 30, 2012 Lisa Haas rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Cheryl Burke for over a decade... this is an amazing story of how she pulled herself out of an overwhelmingly oppressive and abusive family of origin dynamic and realized her dream of becoming a writer. You know what? it is really funny, too.
Jill Guccini
Jan 21, 2013 Jill Guccini rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My full review is up at the Lesbrary: http://lesbrary.com/2013/01/21/jill-g... Real good but real sad. Death is stupid.
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Kristal
Kristal rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Leslie Babcock
Leslie Babcock rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Nic Squassoni
Nic Squassoni rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Joel A.
Joel A. rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
MOMMY
MOMMY rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Carri
Carri rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Casey
Casey rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2014
Ian Skinnari
Ian Skinnari rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
Joseph O'Brien
Joseph O'Brien rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Sabina
Sabina rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Courtney Gillette
Courtney Gillette rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Elina Shnayderman
Elina Shnayderman rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Beneath
Beneath rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Pghbekka
Pghbekka rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Red
Red rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
  • Riding Fury Home: A Memoir
  • American Honor Killings: Desire and Rage Among Men
  • Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women
  • The B Word: Bisexuality in Contemporary Film and Television
  • Harley Loco: A Memoir of Hard Living, Hair, and Post-Punk, from the Middle East to the Lower East Side
  • Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection