Start by marking “Moby Dick: A BabyLit Ocean Primer” as Want to Read:
Moby Dick: A BabyLit Ocean Primer

Moby Dick: A BabyLit Ocean Primer (BabyLit Primers)

BabyLit: A series of board books for brilliant babies.

BabyLit is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar's Alison Oliver, these books are a must for every savvy parent's nursery library.
Board Book, 22 pages
Published February 15th 2013 by Gibbs Smith (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Moby Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moby Dick

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
Books for one-year-old children
190th out of 277 books — 215 voters
Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonFive Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen ChristelowDear Zoo by Rod CampbellRomeo & Juliet by Jennifer AdamsPride & Prejudice  by Jennifer Adams
Best Board Books
25th out of 63 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaime
Jun 15, 2013 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Haha I finally finished Moby Dick! ;)
Brittany
Oct 11, 2016 Brittany rated it it was ok
I like the nautical artwork. The idea is fun - introducing babies and/or toddlers to classic literature. But there isn't a story line. Just words and pictures.

Here are the main words in the book:
SAILORS, SHIP, GULLS, CAPTAIN, WAVES, FISH, ANCHOR, HARPOONS, WHALE, STARS
Jenn Adams
This is great. Adorable. Love the concept. Love the color scheme. Love the theme. Love the actual Moby Dick quotes.
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
There was this crew who went aboard a ship captained by a madman bent on catching an elusive white whale named Moby Dick. Along the way they learned lots of things about the sea.

This was pretty unique compared to the other BabyLit books. Rather than being about counting or colors, this was about marine vocabulary, which was fun and different, and provided a lot of great opportunity for distinctive illustrations. It's especially interesting considering that one of the things I remember most about
Nicol
This is a baby book primer that uses Moby Dick to teach objects and animals. I saw this on groupon as part of set and bought thinking of gifting but as soon as I saw them, I decided to be greedy and keep them for myself. None of the baby lit primers are summaries of our favorite classics, instead they use ideas, characters, and places to introduce babies and toddlers to numbers, colors, and objects. I gave this only 2 stars because it was my least favorite of the series, but I would still ...more
Louis
Oct 28, 2013 Louis rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I so wanted to like this. The concept is good, board books based on works of literature. The art is great. Simple pictures but with the details that evoke the story, But the words are sparse. There is only a single word or phrase on each page, and my son likes to hear sentences. I'm hoping some of the other BabyLit titles are richer in this story line as some of their reviews state. But this one does not.
Jocelin
Apr 24, 2013 Jocelin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love the babylit books by Jennifer Adams. The graphics are great in this book and are so lively. I wasn't totally blown over by this book. I guess because I am not really familiar with this subject matter of Moby Dick. I am going to read the book sometime. It's on my "TBR" list. Still like the series; and I think it's great to expose the little ones to classic literature.
Alice
Dec 17, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This series is a great intro for babies into the classic. I still like the Primer Pride a Prejudice better, but this one was good for a baby to get acquainted with Moby Dick without boring yourself through Melville written text (yes I tried to read Moby Dick and got 100 pages into it and gave up...well I had renewed it twice at the library and I just didn't care anymore)
David
Aug 05, 2013 David rated it liked it
This retelling of Moby Dick is more of a primer on the concepts of sailing. It lacks the thrilling climax and it lacks the coffin...which leads me to wonder if it really is Moby Dick at all. Still I enjoyed the illustrations and could recommend it for younger readers, provided later in life they actually read the real Moby Dick.
Brittany
May 26, 2015 Brittany rated it really liked it
Children have been missing out on learning about harpoons so this really feels a void. ;) This might be as close as I get to reading Moby Dick. I liked the 3-color art throughout. Alistair wasn't as captivated by the illustrations as some of the other BabyLit books though.
Kristi
Dec 22, 2014 Kristi rated it really liked it
A really cute and benign introduction to "Moby Dick," through simple characteristic concepts such as "sailors" and "whale." It does incorporate some actual quotes from the original novel, as well as the main characters.
Kari
Oct 02, 2013 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is a great little primer for kids. With fun ocean words for little ones to learn, along with beautiful, simple images that are easy for babies and toddlers to distinguish makes this a fun read {and great learning device}!
Jessica
Nov 02, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Worth it alone for the quote: Shipmates, have ye shipped in that ship? Which I can guarantee you will never come across in another book aimed at babies. This book teaches "ocean words" like anchor, ship, sailor.
Heather
Mar 03, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books, inv
I'm usually not a fan of the Baby Lit books, but I really like this one. It incorporates the basic story and main characters, and includes a few we'll-chosen quotes from the original book. Also, the illustrations are delightful.
Iamaby En
-illustrations are pretty amazing, but the book doesn't really tell a story (though most boardbooks don't), and the words they do highlight are waaay too advanced for babies or even toddlers (like harpoon, if I remember correctly)
Aletheia Ubben
Feb 06, 2015 Aletheia Ubben rated it it was amazing
Yay! A fun way to learn basic things nautical from the world of Moby Dick. Very beautiful. (Aletheia's review: This book got me excited.)
Jeimy
Jan 29, 2015 Jeimy rated it it was amazing
Delightful! Perhaps my favorite BabyLit book. This may be due to the fact that I am drawn to the sea.
Peacegal
Mar 15, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
Moby Dick has never been considered cute...until now. A bit disconcerting: A page full of harpoons, and imagining parents attempting to explain their "use."
Karisa
Feb 25, 2014 Karisa rated it liked it
Yelling, "Harpooon!" while tickle attacking son greatly improved this as a story time read for my kiddo...
Kerrikoala
Apr 15, 2015 Kerrikoala rated it liked it
Where was this when I had to read Moby Dick in college?

I gave it an extra star for the adorable jellyfish, but I still don't like any version/adaptation of this book.
Heather
Mar 13, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler
I liked the artwork in this one a little better than some of the others. It seems the ones with animals are a little cuter to me. I liked the monochromatic color scheme.
Laurel
Jul 19, 2016 Laurel rated it really liked it
This will probably be more effective entertainment for the adult than the child, as the child probably won't glean much from it. But still, it's a Moby Dick board book. I rest my case.
Pinky
Jun 22, 2016 Pinky rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, definitely one of my favorite baby lit books. I've never read Moby-Dick and probably won't anytime soon, but this was an enjoyable quick read.
Jan 03, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I have seen other books by this author and enjoyed them, but they were girly. This one is for the boys and is equally as well. I love the illustrations.
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2016
Billie Joy
Billie Joy rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Brooke Smith
Brooke Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
  • Diggers Go
  • Imagine
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Little Owl Lost

BabyLit Primers (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer