Start by marking “Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,411 Ratings  ·  1,964 Reviews
Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious confli
Published October 6th 2015 by Tor Books

Lindsey Rey
Oct 07, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, 2015
Sanderson is the very embodiment of magic, great writing, and amazing adventures. PERFECTION.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Super fast re-read with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles before Bands of Mourning.

Knowing the ending made certain parts of this book just heartbreaking. I love that almost every BS book I reread I enjoy just as much if not more the second time through. All the original Mistborn nostalgia was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

4.5 Faceless Immortal Stars
The Fan Girl Part of My Review
Deal with it he is like my FAVORITE fantasy author….but there will be a real review below this

I am in AWE yet again t
Sanaa
Jan 28, 2016 Sanaa rated it really liked it
[4.5 Stars] My emotions! I'll try to write a more coherent review when, "Ahhhhhh I loved it aahhhhhhh," isn't the only thing I can think of.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒ & part-time Warder ☯
A quick re-read before the release of The Bands of Mourning... 26 Jan 2016 update - just as good as the first time. No. No, it was better this time.

Wow. That was hectic. Another great story by a master of fantasy. The second book in this series is just as good if not better than the first.

You don’t need to think about this too much. This was written by Brandon Sanderson. Buy it. Read it. Bask in the glow.

The future of the city of Elendel is balancing on a knife’s edge. Someone or something is tr
Rebecca
Actual Rating: 4.5

In a nutshell: Another awesome Mistborn novel with a twist I really didn't see coming. Wow!

The sad thing about this book is that I really wanted it once I started seeing it in bookstores but it was too expensive, then when I finally got a copy (thank you forever, Hachette Australia!) I fell into my worst reading slump of the year. It's not you, book, it's me and I'm so sorry that I put you through you that... I just got to a point where I had zero interest in reading so it took
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Originally reviewed at The Speculative Herald

A lot of the books that I’m excited for in 2015 are actually releasing quite late this year, so as we sauntered into fall and said good bye to summer, I was getting ready to say hello to a couple of my most anticipated titles. Shadows of Self was most definitely near the top of that list. I’m a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, and I absolutely loved The Alloy of Law – probably more than all three books of the original Mistborn trilogy put together, so sm
Mario
Oct 19, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
No, freedom was not lack of responsibilities—it was being able to do what was right, without having to worry if it was also wrong.

(view spoiler)

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's get on with the review (well I'm gonna call this review, even though I have no idea in what it will turn out to be).

This book. This damn book. After I've finished Alloy of Law I had very high expectation for this book, and now I can safely say that it exceeded every single
Kaitlin
Totally almost forgot to review this but better late than never so here goes!

I was very excited about the release of this book (although no where near as excited as I will be for Calamity or Stormlight #3) as I hadn't had any fresh Sanderson for a while and with this being the return to the Mistborn world I was hoping for a good story. This is certainly a likeable story, but for me I kind of hoped for a little more from Sanderson, and whilst I appreciate that this is a new 'era' of Mistborn, I
Markus
Jun 30, 2016 Markus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, cosmere, 2016
"The days of heroes has passed. The stories of people breaking out of history belong to another world. We have reached an era of modernism, both louder and more silent at the same time."

An author like Sanderson doesn't write bad books, and I have enjoyed everything I've read by him. But I feel like every single M
Bookworm Sean
Jun 30, 2016 Bookworm Sean is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been far too long since I read about the awesomeness of Sanderson’s metal wielders. This series has such a finely crafted, and perfectly intricate, magic system: I love it. Time to get started!

(Review to come)
Franco  Santos
4.5

Fascinante. E intenso. Right in the feels...

Hay dos cosas que me gustaría resaltar. La primera es que Shadows of Self, para mi gusto, es muy superior a su predecesor. La segunda es que te odio, Sanderson. Dejaste mi mente estropeada, entumecida, en un vaivén entre la consciencia y la inconsciencia, y esta vez, no bastándote con eso, aplicaste una dosis de agua salada en mis córneas.
JAIME
Oct 09, 2015 JAIME rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The entire world
HOOOOOOOOOW?! Sanderson, you've bloody ruined me again! Oh, Harmony! Come at me Bands of Mourning!

RTC - as soon as I review

1. The Hero of Ages (view spoiler)
2. The Alloy of Law
3. ALL THE OTHER BOOKS I SAY I WILL REVIEW.
Mike
Dec 11, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
Ah, it always feel good to slip back into the Cosmere. Be it with a novella, a reread of a past book, or a shiny new book. While Elantris was my first Sanderson book, Mistborn was the first I fell in love with, so this series will always have a special place in by book heart (which is much more literate than my regular heart). And even though we have left Vin and Elend and Kelsier and so many other beloved characters behind the more modern world we find ourselves in now is just as grand and wond ...more
Maxwell
Feb 22, 2016 Maxwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2016
If you haven't read the original Mistborn Trilogy, then you definitely need to before reading this book, or its predecessor, The Alloy of Law. I appreciated how much this one did connect to the trilogy, even more so than Alloy did. But overall I found the book to be a bit slow. It wasn't until the last 20% or so that I really got invested in what was happening, but by then it was basically over. There's just something lacking in the characters compared to Vin, Elend, Sazed and all the original t ...more
Gavin
Oct 18, 2015 Gavin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was every bit as good as The Alloy of Law. The whole Mistborn series really is fantastic reading!

Wax, Wayne, and Marasi are back on the case of another mystery. This time they need to stop an assassin from killing the governor of Elendel. To complicate matters they also have to stop the civil unrest in Elendel from boiling over into a full blown riot.

The story was a ton of fun. The Wild West setting is still proving highly entertaining and the story was highly addictive and engaging. It wa
Alexa
Feb 04, 2016 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
WARNING: This review has swearwords.

*takes a deep breath*

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT REVEAL SANDERSON?!

WHAT IN THE FUCKING HELL?!

Fuck... I have no idea how to review this book.

Shadows of Self didn’t feel much like a middle book since it doesn’t advance last book's mystery about the missing women, it has its own bad guy and a self-contained plot. However, it does wonders developing the characters we already had, particularly Wayne and Steris.

We get more of Wayne’s past, and more of his very own
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon

You know what? I'm not even gonna bother to write a proper review because I feel like it wouldn't be enough anyway. I'll just post fangirl photos of Wax, Wayne, Marasi, Steris and soonie cubs.

Wayne glanced toward Steris. "Ello, Crazy," he said, nodding to her.

"Hello, Idiot," she said, nodding back.

description

"I heard voices in my head once too, you know."

"You did?"

"Sure. Gave me a fright. I baned my head against the wall until I went unconscious. Never heard them again!" Ha!

-Wayne-

Marasi

Wax

AND AS IF I W
Ashley
So you know how you're reading one book and you think you know all about it and then BAM IT'S ANOTHER BOOK AND WHAT IS HAPPENING EVEN? And then you're like, ohhhhh shiiiiiit. This book. This one right here.

Honestly, I should know better by now. After I finish up Bands of Mourning, I'm sure in rather short order, the only books of Brandon Sanderson's I won't have read will be the Alcatraz books. I'm used to his tricks. And still. I thought I had this book pegged. Hahahaha NOPE.

So Shadows of Sel
seak
Aug 17, 2015 seak marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-review
I can't help it, let the bragging commence...

Eric Allen
Oct 09, 2015 Eric Allen rated it it was amazing
This book was very, very good. Sanderson manages to paint a very tense political and economic atmosphere not unlike the one we find ourselves in today while adding an edge of danger and foreboding to it, without making it feel boring or farfetched in the least, whilst also incorporating elements of murder mystery, and political assassination thrillers into the mix for a very entertaining, if somewhat short, read. Great and entertaining characters, extremely well written, showing that Sanderson h ...more
Brad
Dec 29, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
Continuing the adventures of Wax and Wayne from the previous novel, I was surprised to find that this one was a much stronger novel than the previous one. Perhaps it's because the first one did a fine job of introducing the characters and letting us enjoy one more round of allomancy tastiness, and now we can revel in the established strangeness with more freedom, here.

But probably not. I honestly loved diving a bit more deeply into the history (of which we're all pretty familiar in the first tri
Phrynne
Nov 30, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
The fifth book in the Mistborn series and they just get better and better. In this latest episode Wax and Wayne are back and as usual acting like a comedic duo but with seriously dangerous skills. Brandon Sanderson is a master in the art of world building without lecturing the reader and this book is no exception. Please keep this series going - I really want to know what happens next!!!
Kogiopsis
Jan 09, 2016 Kogiopsis rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be able to get to the second signing event for this book's release - not the midnighter in Provo, but one less than 24 hours later in Denver. I went with a friend, got lost in the city, and arrived a little bit late (but in time to snag a parking space, fortunately). I'd pre-ordered my copy; she hadn't and had no line number, so we sat on the floor for the next... about five hours, I think, waiting for the end of the line. I got about a third of the way into the book that n ...more
Sara Price.
Oct 10, 2015 Sara Price. rated it it was amazing
Guys this book was so good. I've missed Bsan in my life and so happy that I have him back!!!!!
Rob
Executive Summary: Another decent entry in the Mistborn series, though I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others. 3.5 rounded up, because it's still one of my favorite series.

Audio book: I switched from text to audio with The Alloy of Law, and so long as Michael Kramer continues his excellent narration, I'll never switch back.

Full Review
This is probably one of my most anticipated books of the year. Unfortunately for it, it follows close on the heels to one the others: The Aeronaut's Wind
Pavle
Jun 08, 2016 Pavle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastika
Solidna Sandersonovska avanturica koju izdiže neočekivan kraj. I dalje mi se ne dopada što je ova druga Mistborn trilogija na neki način štura, bez većeg uticaja na izgradjenu mitologiju Skadrijala, ali šta sad. Valjda će biti i toga u trećoj.

Lina
Rating: 5 Stars

Brandon Sanderson did it again. I liked this a lot more than Alloy Of Law and the connections and references to the Mistborn trilogy absolutely crushed me. I literally could not put this book down and THAT ending left me speechless ((view spoiler)). I'm so happy that I already own Bands of Mourning *sighs in relief*.
Manju
Jun 22, 2016 Manju rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, 2016
Its hard for me to believe that Sanderson has written this book. Two stars is my lowest rating for a Sanderson book but I have my reasons for giving thus such low ratings.

So an ancient Kandra is loose in Elendel trying to kill the governor and start riots in the city. Topple the old government and make a new one to rule the city. Now it's Wax, Wayne and Marasi's duty to stop this Kandra who is on a killing spree in Elendel.

This one started out as a moderate read for me but once I crossed the 50%
Kelly
"I'm not harmony's Hands," Wax whispered . "I'm His Sword."

Love Love Love Love Love It.....what can you say it from Sanderson, so it's gonna be freaking brilliant.

Dam Sanderson Plot Twist...try as I might, I can never figure them out. It's never what i think it is, which I totally dig. lol

This book just got me to love Steris even more and want to have Wayne as a sidekick, if I ever become a super hero in some alternate universe. I literally couldn't wait to read the parts that Wayne were in as h
Jonathan
Shadows of Self is a fascinating continuation of the expansion of the world of The Final Empire trilogy. The stand-alone work of The Alloy of Law introduced the reader to Lord Waxillium and his protege` Wayne (Brandon Sanderson does have a penchant for using puns like naming his main character Wax and Wayne and you either appreciate the corniness of it all or hate it) and this work captures on the main spirit of that stand-alone work and begins a new Mistborn trilogy. It's ultimately a book whic ...more
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Core (Demon Cycle, #5)
  • Fool's Quest  (The Fitz and The Fool, #2)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Half a War (Shattered Sea, #3)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
Brandon’s major books for the beginning of 2016 are The Bands of Mourning , the sixth Mistborn novel, and Calamity , the finale of the Reckoners trilogy.

He also released his longest novella yet, Mistborn: Secret History , which explores behind the scenes of the original Mistborn Trilogy and thus is filled with spoilers for those three books; it also has some spoilers for The Bands of Mourning.

B
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

“She had a way of pouring everything of herself into what she did. When she fought, she was the blade. When she loved, she was the kiss. In that regard, she was far more … human than any I have known.” 24 likes
“Every man had to die. He’d always found it odd that so many died when they were old, as logic said that was the point in their lives when they’d had the most practice not dying.” 17 likes