Start by marking “Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery, #0.5)

Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery .5)

Bodies, carefully dissected, are turning up all over town. Organs labeled in thee victim's own blood, the killer had thorough knowledge of the human body. Can Kent and Nicole catch him before he kills and dissects again?

This 10,000+ word short story introduces FBI profiler Kent Harbinger to Detective Nicole Usher while trying to catch a vicious serial killer.
Published September 28th 2012 by Off Our Meds MultiMedia (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy

Black Butterfly
Nov 01, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BORROWED FROM AMAZON
THIS IS A REAL QUICK READ A PRELUDE TO "PLAIN JANE", THE NEXT BOOK. THE MAIN PLAYERS MEET, KENT, NICOLE AND RUBEN THEY ARE CHASING A SERIAL KILLER KNOWN AS THE PROFESSOR. EVERYTHING MOVES FAST BECAUSE OF KENT'S INPUT, ALL SEEMS GOOD FOR KENT AND NICOLE, NOT SO MUCH FOR POOR RUBEN. BUT WE SHALL SEE IN PLAIN JANE, ON TO THE NEXT INSTALLMENT (funny, I'm humming We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz). GIGGLE! ;D
Stacy
Nov 01, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: carolyn-mccray
Well, I wasn't quite sure what to make of this short story... Harbinger seems to be one of the quirkiest FBI profilers I've come across in either reading or TV or movie for that matter. However, if this short story, as it purports to do, leads into a better depth and understanding of the characters and stories to come in the rest of this series, I am quite happy to have spent the day that I could devote to it on it. But, I just have to say, that although the story was very good, it was a little, ...more
Ani
Dec 07, 2012 Ani rated it really liked it
In this short read, we see how Kent Harbinger first came to work with Detectives Nicole Usher and Ruben Torres to catch serial killers when he offers his expertise in helping catch "The Professor," a menace who creepily vivisects his victims live, then labels their organs. I enjoyed this prequel to Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware but wish it would have been longer. Kent's method of working the case was as wild and enjoyable to read as it was in Plain Jane, but a little confusing because of how quic ...more
Lisa A.
Nov 23, 2014 Lisa A. rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, exciting prequel to Carolyn McCray's Harbinger Collection. The story begins with the discovery of a body that has been gruesomely
dissected by the serial killer nicknamed "The Professor". We see the first meeting of super cocky Kent Harbinger, an FBI agent who sticks his nose into the investigation, and Nicole, a local detective on the case. Sparks fly and we're off to catch the killer. There's never a dull moment in Carolyn McCray's books and this one is no exception. I look forward
Claudia
Apr 29, 2013 Claudia rated it it was amazing
I could not believe how much I liked Harbinger. He is a rather odd character, brilliant, resourceful and I just have to read the entire series. The author tells a seem less and tight story, that leaves the reader guessing and immersed into the plot. On several occasions, I found that comic relief was perfectly timed to break the tension from the gory crime scenes. I actually laughed out loud.
Judy
Oct 09, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Anatomy is a short story that had a serial killer that was really creepy. The FBI profiler, Harbinger, was a real wise guy but also very brilliant. It was interesting and a fast paced story. I can’t wait to read more of these stories about Harbinger. He has become one of my new favorite characters.
Cindy
Feb 28, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was an exciting short story. I read it in one sitting, it was hard to put down. Anatomy was a perfect horror story to make you feel that you can't wait to read the next in this series. Interesting idea of a serial killer who dissects the bodies and labels different body parts! The author always delivers an excellent horror story.
Christie
Jun 01, 2013 Christie rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't skip over the book Anatomy by any means. It gives you insight into the main characters in the following book, Plain Jane. Anatomy was actaully pretty good. It was faced paced. Very insightful in how the characters meet and start to mesh. I was actually hoping that there was more to it. Then I started the next book in the series and my thoughts and dreams were answered.
Carey Mckenna Jones
Apr 02, 2013 Carey Mckenna Jones rated it liked it
Now that I know Kent isn't a serial murderer - kinda iffy for most of the story - I think I could grow to like this tuxedo-wearing profiler! He's brilliant, quirky, and urbane. A mesmerizing, unique character. Total movie potential.

The story was fast, thrilling, and scary enough to match the cover.
Jennifer Lynn
Dec 28, 2013 Jennifer Lynn rated it it was amazing
Being that I had never picked up a book from this author I thought I would give her a chance due to the good amount of reviews she has been given.
I was left on the edge of my seat with anticipated of what would happen next. After reading this short story of hers I started to seek other novels of hers. This book is sure to please if you like thriller/horror.
Sherry
May 30, 2013 Sherry rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
I enjoyed the book & it held the mystery of the killer to the end. The only thing I didn't like was the "strong woman who just can't resist the bad man/lover" can't resist the sexual advances thing. I will read more from this author.
Kim Jackson
May 22, 2013 Kim Jackson rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Soooo this is how Nicole, Harbinger, and Ruben met. Interesting. My interest is definitely piqued. Write on Carolyn.
Christina
Dec 29, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
Short read and a nice to follow up after reading, Beware Brunettes. It will probably only take an hour to finish and I really wish there were more in this series and hope there will be a follow up
Neil
Sep 01, 2013 Neil rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this, and even though it is a short story/ prequel I am inclined to try and dig out the whole series to read
Bren
Feb 12, 2013 Bren rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but once the romantic dimension to this story was revealed it ruined it for me. I don't want romance in my horror books.
Kerry
Mar 24, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kerry by: self
I enjoyed this short story as it had me trying to guess the killer. I didn't want to pit it down. Carolyn McCray is becoming one of my favorite authors!
Tabitha
Jul 10, 2013 Tabitha rated it really liked it
A bit unrealistic, but none-the-less it kept my attention! It was a fun/quick read. I actually read the complete Harbinger collection. Fun!
Catherine Gordon
Jul 28, 2013 Catherine Gordon rated it really liked it
Prequel to A Plain Jane follows the same characters setting the stage for what is going to happen. Good read.
Chinarose
Feb 19, 2013 Chinarose rated it it was amazing
Awesome writer, up in the ranks of Patterson. Once you pick it up, prepare to read till it's over, only leaving you wanting to read more.... ;-)
Jack
Jan 27, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing
Hopefully the rest of the series will be as good as this rather short lead in. Well written. Interesting characters. So far, so good!
Michele bookloverforever
Oct 13, 2014 Michele bookloverforever rated it really liked it
reminiscent of early Ellery queen where the detective pulls facts out of thin air. enjoyable. the profiler is very impish and arrogant and single minded.
Susan
May 12, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
In this short story after the sixth victim of a serial killer FBI profiler Kent Harbinger lends his help to Detective Nicole Usher to catch a killer.
coffee
coffee rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Barbara Duckett
Jul 01, 2013 Barbara Duckett rated it it was amazing
YES! i have found my newest favorite author. Carolyn McCray is awesome!
Carisa
Jan 21, 2013 Carisa rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, a lively story telling with the expected a-ha moments of a good murder mystery.
Saniya
Saniya rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Dawn Young
Dawn Young rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Richard Thompson
Richard Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Ishmael Toffee
  • 65 Proof
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • The Day It Happened (Miranda's Rights 0.5)
  • Taken By Moonlight
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
  • Fancy Gap
  • The Missings
  • The Last Innocent Hour
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
  • The Edge of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #2.5)
  • All for One
  • Darkbound
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
This is a pen name of Goodreads author Cristyn West.
More about Carolyn McCray...

Harbinger Mystery (5 books)
  • Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware (Harbinger Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Lullaby (Harbinger Mystery, #1.4)
  • My Soul to Keep (Harbinger Mystery, #1.5)
  • Wallflower (Harbinger Mystery, #2)