Start by marking “Judith” as Want to Read:
Judith

Judith

It is the eve of Britain’s withdrawal from Palestine in 1948, a moment that will mark the beginning of a new Israel. But the course of history is uncertain, and Israel’s territorial enemies plan to smother the new country at its birth. Judith R
Published November 13th 2012 by Open Road Integrated Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Judith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judith

Bettie☯

Description: A breathtaking novel of passion and politics, set in the hotbed of Palestine in the 1940s, by a master of twentieth-century fiction
It is the eve of Britain s withdrawal from Palestine in 1948, a moment that will mark the beginning of a new Israel. But the course of history is uncertain, and Israel s territorial enemies plan to smother the new country at its birth. Judith Roth has escaped the concentration camps in Germany only to be plunged in
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
That this novel had its start as a screenplay was something I felt aware of throughout my whole reading, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Set in the 1940s, the story is both an adventure novel and a kind of parable of a nation with dramatic landscapes, big emotions, and iconic characters.

Judith Roth, a mathematician and researcher, is smuggled out of Germany and into Israel in hopes she can finish her father's research on a new engine or turbine that will impact oil production.  The Nazis,
May 29, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Years ago (about 20, now that I think about it), a colleague recommended Justine, the first of the Alexandria Quartet by Durrell. I read it... and at that point I was a "clean plate" reader, so I slogged through the first 50 pages... the first 100 pages... but somewhere in the 150 range, I got it. Then I raced through to the end and grabbed the next three books. So when I saw Judith at BEA, I was thrilled.

Durrell was not Jewish, so that he was able to really convey the energy and conflict of lif
Lysergius
An interesting set of intertwined tales set against the end of the British mandate in Palestine and the birth of the Israeli state.
Neil Plakcy
Dec 22, 2016 Neil Plakcy rated it really liked it
Not as good as the Alexandria Quartet, but still a fascinating look at early settlers of Israel
Timothy Ratliffe
Dec 17, 2014 Timothy Ratliffe rated it really liked it
I am a Durrellian through and through. It would be impossible for me to actually criticize anything he wrote. But "Judith" is only good for what it intended to be, a potboiler headed for a movie script. The story is just fine, but the description of characters, time, and place is thin gruel, not up to the best nor even the usual Durrell.

Even if it is not completely historically and geographically correct (and what novel is?), the story fills in gaps in one's knowledge of what happened during the
Barbara
Jun 09, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it
I loved Durrell's books that I read 30 years ago. This book was not of the same quality, but I enjoyed it, much lighter than the earlier works & very reminiscent of Leon Uris' "Exodus."
SPOILER ALERT I'm not sure if the ending was a function of the time period, or the fact that Durrell himself never completed the
novel to his satisfaction in his lifetime, but it felt false to me, just didn't ring true. If you want insight to circumstances at the start of the state of Israel, check it out.
Betsy
Mar 20, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I am a Lawrence Durrell fan, having found the Alexandria Quartet to be an amazing series of books. "Judith" is not at that standard, as it was initially a screenplay, but I enjoyed it. I am also interested in that time of history -- post WWII, and the Mideast. I could not help but like it!!
Elena Diaconu
May 03, 2015 Elena Diaconu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an easy going novel by Durell, so different from his Alexandria Quartet or other more serious work. Not a masterpiece, you can easily tell it was conceived as a screenplay, but nevertheless a good summer read.
Ruth Stern
Mar 19, 2014 Ruth Stern rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed in this book. In the forward they kept talking about the Exodus by Leon Uris. I kept comparing the book to that. It didn't really give the characters enough depth. I also felt the book was more about Grete than Judith.
Danika
Danika rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Jonathan Cracknell
Jonathan Cracknell rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Patrice Fischer
Patrice Fischer rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
AdiTurbo
AdiTurbo rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Sam Kirshaw
Sam Kirshaw rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Kam
Kam rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Jennifer Morrow
Jennifer Morrow rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Diego Kindle
Diego Kindle rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Raymond
Raymond rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Serine Ghd
Serine Ghd rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Glenn Nichols
Glenn Nichols rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Rebecca Maness
Rebecca Maness rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Nataliapt
Nataliapt rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Anastasia Gryzunova
Anastasia Gryzunova rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2012
J.D. Mersault
J.D. Mersault rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Lawrence George Durrell was a critically hailed and beloved novelist, poet, humorist, and travel writer best known for The Alexandria Quartet novels, which were ranked by the Modern Library as among the greatest works of English literature in the twentieth century. A passionate and dedicated writer from an early age, Durrell’s prolific career also included the groundbreaking Avignon Quintet, whose ...more
More about Lawrence Durrell...