Start by marking “Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)” as Want to Read:
Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

MINDJACK ORIGINS SHORT STORY - COMPANION TO THE MINDJACK SERIES

ebook, Kobo
Published May 2nd 2012

Lola
Aug 31, 2012 Lola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

Mind Games was a great short story. It takes place a bit of time before the first book and shows the point of view of Raf. Raf is in love with Kira, but Kira is a zero. In this short story we see how the zero's are treated and how the other mindreaders think of them and about Raf for having feelings for her. I felt so bad for Kira and how the other mindreaders thought about her.

You can read this novella before the first book or later. I thought
Montzalee Wittmann
Mind Games by Susan Kaye Quinn is a short intro to a series by Ms Quinn (MindJack) in which these characters and themes carry forth. This is a very unique and intriguing intro to be sure. The teens at the high school all can read each others thoughts and one girl can't. They can't read her mind and they assume she can't either since they 'mind talk' about her badly. One of the guys likes her and the other teens give him trouble for it because she is a bit of a freak for being abnormal. But she s ...more
Sophia
Aug 23, 2015 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance, ya
A quick snippet prequel about Raf's struggles because he likes a girl that is different and deemed dangerous by society because unlike the majority, she can't read minds or have her mind read. Definitely does the job of whetting my appetite for what is to come in the rest of this YA Sci-Fi series.
Sheila
A zero is someone who can’t read minds; in a world of mind-readers that’s not something your best friend wants you to be. But all the wishing in this world won’t change the fact that Kira’s not gone through the change, while Raf hears all the world and all the corridors of school ring to the sound of his love for the girl who can’t tell what he’s thinking.
Susan Kaye Quinn’s Mind Games introduces the teens of this curious world and nicely fills in how it might feel to hear, to know… to be cruel
Vlad Vaslyn
Jun 15, 2012 Vlad Vaslyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn's short story Mind Games is the springboard for her full-length novel,Mindjack Origins, Book I, and I have high expectations after reading it. The story was so good that I went back to Starbucks as soon as I finished it and downloaded Mindjack Origins because I wanted more. The story was excellent and unique. In a world where nearly everyone can read minds, the "zeros" are the outcasts, and secrets are hard to keep.

~Vlad Vaslyn~
Author of Brachman's Underworld
Sara
May 24, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story that gives more insight into Raf. I really like Raf, and think he will come into play a lot in the future books. In this we get a look at his crush on Kira that is considered tabboo since she is not a mind reader and is considered a zero. It was nice reading about how he has liked her for ever. But then there is eveil manipulative Jessica. I wanted to smack her with how she blackmailed Raf. Good book to read before Open Minds, which I read first and loved.
Becca Campbell
May 30, 2012 Becca Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story. The world Quinn has developed is very intriguing. I can already tell she's a great writer.

Reading this short from Raf's mind makes me want to find out more. I can't wait to read Open Minds and find out what's up with Kira, discover whether she'll become a "reader" or not, and see what happens between she and Raf.

My appetite is properly whetted. Bring on the next book!
Shash
This is a short prequel to Open Minds. It gives a peak into Raf's point of view. If you haven't read the Mindjack Trilogy, this will wet your appetite. If you have read it, you'll enjoy looking back for a moment.
Renée
Sep 28, 2012 Renée rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012

Ok so Raf likes Kira. That was pretty prevalent in Open Minds, pretty much rendering this prequel useless. There was nothing compelling in it that would've made me want to read Open Minds, so it's actually a good thing that I read it after the fact.
Sandy
Jul 19, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2014
So how do you review a prequel novella to a series you haven’t read yet? Hmm… Well first let me give you a little bit of backstory. I won Open Minds in an Armchair BEA giveaway back in 2012? I think. Maybe 2013. Either way, I’ve had it for a while and just haven’t gotten around to reading it. Browsing NetGalley one day, I zoned in on this novella by Susan Kaye Quinn thinking that it was the same book as the one I’d won. I really wasn’t paying attention at all. And since I already owned this book ...more
Sandy
Jan 29, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

MIND GAMES (found in the anthology In His Eyes) is the prequel short story to indie author Susan Kaye Quinn’s new Mindjack Trilogy .

Background: Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can't read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can't be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves.

In a world of mindreaders, Kira is an anomaly. She has yet to enter the change and is unable to read the minds of her f
Veronica of V's Reads
OMG. I wanted to cry reading this novella! It's such a heart-breaking tale.

This novella is a prequel to OPEN MINDS, the first book in the Mindjack trilogy. I have read all three books in the trilogy, but wondered about how things got started between Kira and Raf, so when I found this novella, I pounced.

In this dystopian world, everyone can read minds--well almost everyone. Kira has yet to go through the "change" a switch that happens in puberty to open her mind to every other Reader around her.
Peter DeHaan
Feb 15, 2017 Peter DeHaan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Part of the Mindjack Trilogy Box Set
Riley
Jun 13, 2012 Riley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital, young-adult, 2012
The writing is good, and the world is well-developed, with a nice touch of made-up slang that's believable and easy to understand. I also enjoyed the thought-provoking bits about how society would be different if we could all know each other's thoughts. (Theme: trust.) Bonus points for being an indie that's as good as most traditionally published YA, and better than some.

However, there were a few elements that kept pulling me out of the story. Mainly:

- The opening sounds a lot like Twilight. The
Julie Stafford
Apr 12, 2016 Julie Stafford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PREQUEL OR SEQUEL

Mind Games can be either a prequel or a sequel to the Mindjack Series by Susan Kaye Quinn. For me it was a prequel. It tells a deeper story of Raf, who like everybody else in his school can read minds! Except for one person. The one whose mind he can't read, nor can anybody else, he really wants to. He wants to be more than best friends with Kira. Imagine if everybody could read your mind and you could read everybody else's. Basically everybody is the same. Now put yourself in
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Goodreads Synopsis: Raf, a regular mindreader, is in love with Kira, the only girl in school who can't read minds. Raf struggles to keep his thoughts about her private, but secrets are something that only zeros like Kira can keep. As he works up the nerve to ask Kira to the mindware Games, his friends have other games in mind for him.
(Mind Games is a short story prequel to the novel Open Minds. It is the first in a planned series of shorts told from the point-of-view of characters in the Mindja
Jamie Krakover
Jun 19, 2012 Jamie Krakover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raf is a mind reader in a high school where nearly everyone else can read minds as well. Too bad Kira, his best friend and the girl he has a crush on is a zero - someone who can't read minds and may never go through the change. As Raf struggles to hide his true feelings from the other mind readers his "friends" make it widely known just how much they frown upon him taking interest in a zero.

Mind Games is a stunning prequel short story that takes a look into how dangerous a world can be when near
Beverly McClure
Jul 04, 2014 Beverly McClure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if everyone in your school could read minds, except you? You’re not yet sixteen, so there is hope that you may change. What if you don’t? MIND DREAMS, a novella by Author Susan Kaye Quinn, is the prequel to the first novel in the MINDJACK ORIGINS series. Told from the point of view of Raf, popular boy in school and best friends with Kira since childhood. He’d like to be more. The problem is Kira is a zero, the name they give to those that missed the gift of reading minds. Will they overcome ...more
Sarah Tilsley
Mind Games is a short prequel to the first novel in the Mindjack Trilogy, Open Minds. I read this short story after Open Minds, if you want the experience to learn things as Kira does in the novel, then I think it's good to read if afterwards, but it doesn't spoil anything if you want to read it first either. It's written in first person from Raf's point of view and is set a few months before Open Minds, which is written in first person from Kira's point of view.

I really enjoyed this for the mos
Carrie
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a short story prequel to the Mindjack series. Theoretically you can read this before the first book, but I did in in a reverse order. It's a very very short story, so don't be surprised when it ends!

This little story gave us all a look into Raf's mind, his motivations, and his sappy puppy dog love for Kira. It was adorable and cute to watch him get flustered and beat himself up a bit. It brought me back to a time before Kir
Janina
Dec 18, 2014 Janina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
„Mind games“ ist ein kurzes Prequel zum ersten Band der Mindjack-Trilogie.
Es ist aus der Sicht von Raf geschrieben, dem besten Freund der späteren Protagonistin Kira.
Dieses Prequel ist super dafür geeignet einen ersten Eindruck zu gewinnen, sich schon mal auf die Geschichte einzulassen und ein Gefühl für diese neuartige Welt zu bekommen.
Zudem kann man dadurch die ersten Figuren kennenlernen und auch für diejenigen, die „Open minds“ bereits kennen, ist es eine gute Möglichkeit einen Blick in Rafs
Mar 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, novella
Eh. It was alright to read and an OK introduction into the world the author's trying to build. I never fully understood what the "Mind Games" are exactly and it seems odd that that was left so ambiguous (at least for me). I'll try reading this series, but I'm kind of disturbed at the acceptance of mind readers in the future Quinn has created. I think it's honestly pretty unrealistic that it would just be accepted, but I'll probably get more into that in my review of the first full book in the se ...more
Concetta Phillipps
I loved the Mindjack series. Thought they were fun and interesting books that were an interesting premise in a day and age where sharing is often second nature and we're really only two steps away from open mind reading.

This story I felt didn't really give Raf something that I think he didn't already express in the book. In fact, it mostly made him sound more like an obnoxious teenage boy, and make me want to slap some of the other mind readers in the story. The whole world of the open mind read
Sadrina
Mar 24, 2013 Sadrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open Minds has been in my wishlist since it was released and reading this made me want to read it even more. Mind Games is the the prequel of Open Minds but is told from Raf's point of view. It is the perfect story to introduce the characters and the setting of the book - one that is so intriguing and fascinating it leaves you craving for more. Even though this is a short story, I could already guess how the mind-reading works, and boy, it is both scary and interesting. I really enjoyed reading ...more
Trisha
Jun 23, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She doesn't have to read thoughts to notice the ring of space around her.
I think of them all as saved seats for me.

This is a bitter sweet shot story.

Raf's love for Kira was so true and so sweet. It was uncomplicated in his mind, because it was love without mind-melding, invading thoughts. And he could touch her, without second skin or any other "protection."

And he hated how others treated her.

I hate that he's no longer this Raf.
Melissa
This is a short story that takes place before Open Minds. I noticed the recommended reading order about 1/4 of the way through Open Minds. I think that it was great understanding Raf and his feelings for Kira. However, you don't get much in terms of the background story and I felt that if I hadn't started Open Minds I might have been a little lost with the story. Overall a quick and enjoyable story. Susan Kaye Quinn does an amazing job with these characters.
Patty
This is a high 3 stars. This is a short story (prequel) to the first book of the Mindjack Trilogy. I decided to read this short story first to get a feel for the premise of the series. It did intrigue me. However, I wasn't really thrilled about the High School scene. Seemed almost like Twilight in a way. But other than that, the plot and characters interest me. I'm looking forward to starting Book#1.
Lizard
Dec 13, 2012 Lizard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this story just fine, but it wasn't particularly stand out as short stories go. I'm guessing this is because it's meant more as a sidenote to an actual series of novels. It was interesting enough that I will go on to read the first full length book in the series... I'll have more to say I'm sure once I've finished that.
Virginia Seven Swans
Such a complex character in a complex world. At times you love him and at times you just don't understand what he is thinking or feeling. Then comes this book. A unique and appreciated glimpse into the mind of one of the most complex under-rated characters of the MindJack trilogy. You will not be disappointed (well I wasn't) :-)
Dana
Apr 23, 2014 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very, very, very short story. In fact, that sentence was almost longer than the story. I really don't think it is worth paying for. It is like a short chapter in a book. If you like the Mindjack series, you will enjoy this short story about Raf and how he has had a crush on Kira for a long time. But it is a very short "story". I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
Kindle Unlimited ...: Mindjack short stories (YA SF) on Kindle Unlimited! 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 04:00PM
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collectors Edition (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter, #1-3)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
  • Divided against Yourselves
  • Ardent Ascension (Rise Of The Ardent, #2)
  • Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Staying Human
  • Choke (The Breathless, #2)
  • If it Kills Me (The Starborn Saga, #2)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • OMG (Oh My God) (CUL8R Time Travel Mystery, #1)
  • Roots of Insight (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #2)
  • Rise from Darkness (Battle for Souls, #1)
CLICK HERE for a FREE STORY

Susan Kaye Quinn is a rocket scientist turned speculative fiction author who now uses her PhD to invent cool stuff in books. Her works range from young adult science fiction to adult future-noir, with side trips into steampunk and middle grade fantasy. Her bestselling novels and short stories have been optioned for Virtual Reality, translated into German, and featured in
More about Susan Kaye Quinn...

Mindjack Origins (5 books)
  • The Handler (Mindjack Origins, #2)
  • The Scribe (Mindjack Origins, #3)
  • Keeper (Mindjack Origins #4)
  • The Locksmith (Mindjack Origins #5)