Start by marking “Mind Games (Mindjack Origins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mind Games (Mindjack Origins, #1)

Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  54 reviews
SHORT STORY

(Mind Games is a short story prequel to the nov
ebook, Kobo
Published May 2nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Mind Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Games

Sheila
A zero is someone who can’t read minds; in a world of mind-readers that’s not something your best friend wants you to be. But all the wishing in this world won’t change the fact that Kira’s not gone through the change, while Raf hears all the world and all the corridors of school ring to the sound of his love for the girl who can’t tell what he’s thinking.
Susan Kaye Quinn’s Mind Games introduces the teens of this curious world and nicely fills in how it might feel to hear, to know… to be cruel
Vlad V.
Quinn's short story Mind Games is the springboard for her full-length novel,Mindjack Origins, Book I, and I have high expectations after reading it. The story was so good that I went back to Starbucks as soon as I finished it and downloaded Mindjack Origins because I wanted more. The story was excellent and unique. In a world where nearly everyone can read minds, the "zeros" are the outcasts, and secrets are hard to keep.

~Vlad Vaslyn~
Author of Brachman's Underworld
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Goodreads Synopsis: Raf, a regular mindreader, is in love with Kira, the only girl in school who can't read minds. Raf struggles to keep his thoughts about her private, but secrets are something that only zeros like Kira can keep. As he works up the nerve to ask Kira to the mindware Games, his friends have other games in mind for him.
(Mind Games is a short story prequel to the novel Open Minds. It is the first in a planned series of shorts told from the point-of-view of characters in the Mindja
Veronica
OMG. I wanted to cry reading this novella! It's such a heart-breaking tale.

This novella is a prequel to OPEN MINDS, the first book in the Mindjack trilogy. I have read all three books in the trilogy, but wondered about how things got started between Kira and Raf, so when I found this novella, I pounced.

In this dystopian world, everyone can read minds--well almost everyone. Kira has yet to go through the "change" a switch that happens in puberty to open her mind to every other Reader around her.
Sara
This is a short story that gives more insight into Raf. I really like Raf, and think he will come into play a lot in the future books. In this we get a look at his crush on Kira that is considered tabboo since she is not a mind reader and is considered a zero. It was nice reading about how he has liked her for ever. But then there is eveil manipulative Jessica. I wanted to smack her with how she blackmailed Raf. Good book to read before Open Minds, which I read first and loved.
Sandy

MIND GAMES (found in the anthology In His Eyes) is the prequel short story to indie author Susan Kaye Quinn’s new Mindjack Trilogy .

Background: Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can't read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can't be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves.

In a world of mindreaders, Kira is an anomaly. She has yet to enter the change and is unable to read the minds of her f
Sandy Farmer
So how do you review a prequel novella to a series you haven’t read yet? Hmm… Well first let me give you a little bit of backstory. I won Open Minds in an Armchair BEA giveaway back in 2012? I think. Maybe 2013. Either way, I’ve had it for a while and just haven’t gotten around to reading it. Browsing NetGalley one day, I zoned in on this novella by Susan Kaye Quinn thinking that it was the same book as the one I’d won. I really wasn’t paying attention at all. And since I already owned this book ...more
Becca Campbell
Great short story. The world Quinn has developed is very intriguing. I can already tell she's a great writer.

Reading this short from Raf's mind makes me want to find out more. I can't wait to read Open Minds and find out what's up with Kira, discover whether she'll become a "reader" or not, and see what happens between she and Raf.

My appetite is properly whetted. Bring on the next book!
Renée

Ok so Raf likes Kira. That was pretty prevalent in Open Minds, pretty much rendering this prequel useless. There was nothing compelling in it that would've made me want to read Open Minds, so it's actually a good thing that I read it after the fact.
Janina
„Mind games“ ist ein kurzes Prequel zum ersten Band der Mindjack-Trilogie.
Es ist aus der Sicht von Raf geschrieben, dem besten Freund der späteren Protagonistin Kira.
Dieses Prequel ist super dafür geeignet einen ersten Eindruck zu gewinnen, sich schon mal auf die Geschichte einzulassen und ein Gefühl für diese neuartige Welt zu bekommen.
Zudem kann man dadurch die ersten Figuren kennenlernen und auch für diejenigen, die „Open minds“ bereits kennen, ist es eine gute Möglichkeit einen Blick in Raf´
Riley
The writing is good, and the world is well-developed, with a nice touch of made-up slang that's believable and easy to understand. I also enjoyed the thought-provoking bits about how society would be different if we could all know each other's thoughts. (Theme: trust.) Bonus points for being an indie that's as good as most traditionally published YA, and better than some.

However, there were a few elements that kept pulling me out of the story. Mainly:

- The opening sounds a lot like Twilight. The
Jamie K
Raf is a mind reader in a high school where nearly everyone else can read minds as well. Too bad Kira, his best friend and the girl he has a crush on is a zero - someone who can't read minds and may never go through the change. As Raf struggles to hide his true feelings from the other mind readers his "friends" make it widely known just how much they frown upon him taking interest in a zero.

Mind Games is a stunning prequel short story that takes a look into how dangerous a world can be when near
Dana
This is a very, very, very short story. In fact, that sentence was almost longer than the story. I really don't think it is worth paying for. It is like a short chapter in a book. If you like the Mindjack series, you will enjoy this short story about Raf and how he has had a crush on Kira for a long time. But it is a very short "story". I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
Beverly McClure
What if everyone in your school could read minds, except you? You’re not yet sixteen, so there is hope that you may change. What if you don’t? MIND DREAMS, a novella by Author Susan Kaye Quinn, is the prequel to the first novel in the MINDJACK ORIGINS series. Told from the point of view of Raf, popular boy in school and best friends with Kira since childhood. He’d like to be more. The problem is Kira is a zero, the name they give to those that missed the gift of reading minds. Will they overcome ...more
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
Mind Games is a short prequel to the first novel in the Mindjack Trilogy, Open Minds. I read this short story after Open Minds, if you want the experience to learn things as Kira does in the novel, then I think it's good to read if afterwards, but it doesn't spoil anything if you want to read it first either. It's written in first person from Raf's point of view and is set a few months before Open Minds, which is written in first person from Kira's point of view.

I really enjoyed this for the mos
Jessi
Not bad, definitely an interesting premise. Maybe I'll pick up a print copy of Open Minds one day. Poor guy's got it bad. Hope Indiana helps.
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)

Raf likes Kira, but all his friends tell him to stay away because she can't read minds.
6 out of 10
Carrie
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a short story prequel to the Mindjack series. Theoretically you can read this before the first book, but I did in in a reverse order. It's a very very short story, so don't be surprised when it ends!

This little story gave us all a look into Raf's mind, his motivations, and his sappy puppy dog love for Kira. It was adorable and cute to watch him get flustered and beat himself up a bit. It brought me back to a time before Kir
Livia
Aug 12, 2014 Livia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of YA sci-fi, unique concepts
Recommended to Livia by: Book Event on FB
Good prequel. I definitely plan to read the first book in this series soon. It has such an intriguing concept.
Roxie
A nice way to see I to the mind of Raf. That's something you do not get in the first novel of this series.
Sadrina
Open Minds has been in my wishlist since it was released and reading this made me want to read it even more. Mind Games is the the prequel of Open Minds but is told from Raf's point of view. It is the perfect story to introduce the characters and the setting of the book - one that is so intriguing and fascinating it leaves you craving for more. Even though this is a short story, I could already guess how the mind-reading works, and boy, it is both scary and interesting. I really enjoyed reading ...more
Eh. It was alright to read and an OK introduction into the world the author's trying to build. I never fully understood what the "Mind Games" are exactly and it seems odd that that was left so ambiguous (at least for me). I'll try reading this series, but I'm kind of disturbed at the acceptance of mind readers in the future Quinn has created. I think it's honestly pretty unrealistic that it would just be accepted, but I'll probably get more into that in my review of the first full book in the se ...more
Tammy
seemed short, even for a short story.
Julie
Excellent short story in the mindjacker series.
Melissa
This is a short story that takes place before Open Minds. I noticed the recommended reading order about 1/4 of the way through Open Minds. I think that it was great understanding Raf and his feelings for Kira. However, you don't get much in terms of the background story and I felt that if I hadn't started Open Minds I might have been a little lost with the story. Overall a quick and enjoyable story. Susan Kaye Quinn does an amazing job with these characters.
Trisha
She doesn't have to read thoughts to notice the ring of space around her.
I think of them all as saved seats for me.

This is a bitter sweet shot story.

Raf's love for Kira was so true and so sweet. It was uncomplicated in his mind, because it was love without mind-melding, invading thoughts. And he could touch her, without second skin or any other "protection."

And he hated how others treated her.

I hate that he's no longer this Raf.
Patty
This is a high 3 stars. This is a short story (prequel) to the first book of the Mindjack Trilogy. I decided to read this short story first to get a feel for the premise of the series. It did intrigue me. However, I wasn't really thrilled about the High School scene. Seemed almost like Twilight in a way. But other than that, the plot and characters interest me. I'm looking forward to starting Book#1.
Virginia Seven Swans
Such a complex character in a complex world. At times you love him and at times you just don't understand what he is thinking or feeling. Then comes this book. A unique and appreciated glimpse into the mind of one of the most complex under-rated characters of the MindJack trilogy. You will not be disappointed (well I wasn't) :-)
Lizard
I enjoyed this story just fine, but it wasn't particularly stand out as short stories go. I'm guessing this is because it's meant more as a sidenote to an actual series of novels. It was interesting enough that I will go on to read the first full length book in the series... I'll have more to say I'm sure once I've finished that.
Jess
I quite enjoyed Kira's world and the changes she encountered. I always felt like there was something missing through this series that came together more for me after reading some of the back stories in Mindjack Origins.
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Reborn - alternate ending (The Born Trilogy)
  • Roots of Insight (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #2)
  • Unspeakable (The Nature of Grace short story, #1.5)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Monarch (War of the Princes, #3)
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collectors Edition (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter, #1-3)
  • Ardent Ascension (Rise Of The Ardent, #2)
  • Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)
  • The Earth Dwellers (The Dwellers, #4)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Eternity
  • Divided against Yourselves
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Dark Revelation
  • I Am Alive (I Am Alive, #1)
  • Perception (The Perception Trilogy, #1)

STEAMPUNK FANTASY ROMANCE
Third Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #1)
Second Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #2)
First Daughter (The Dharian Affairs #3)

ADULT URBAN FANTASY WITH A CYBERPUNK TWIST
Debt Collector Season One
Debt Collector Season Two
WATCH the Debt Collector Book Trailer

ANTHOLOGIES
Synchronic-13 Tales of Time Travel
Telepath-Storie
More about Susan Kaye Quinn...
Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1) Closed Hearts (Mindjack Trilogy, #2) Free Souls (Mindjack Trilogy, #3) Delirium (Debt Collector,  #1) The Handler (Mindjack Origins, #2)