Start by marking “Lion Hearts: A Family Saga of Refugees and Asylum Seekers” as Want to Read:
Lion Hearts: A Family Saga of Refugees and Asylum Seekers

Lion Hearts: A Family Saga of Refugees and Asylum Seekers

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
A biography of Lonek Lew, the author’s father, told through the lives of over twenty people he was friendly or associated with, a number of whom were historical figures.

Using his father’s clear and detailed accounts of his life in pre-war Poland, the Holocaust and his colourful life in Melbourne, as well as personal meetings and memories, the author assembles portraits of
Published September 2012 by Hybrid Publishers Melbourne Australia

To ask other readers questions about Lion Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion Hearts

George
Apr 30, 2013 George rated it it was amazing
Lion Hearts. A Family Saga of Refugees and Asylum Seekers.
Hybrid (2012)

I declare a conflict of interest at the start - Mr Henry Lew has been my mothers eye specialist for a number of years. I hope my appreciation for his personal care and professional expertise has not biased my view of his most recent book, Lion Hearts.

Looking at the Contents page I was struck by the 21 chapter headings, all names of people in Henry’s family saga - a clue that this saga was going to be very personal, very in
Lisa
Oct 03, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
It’s not the most elegant grab-it-off-the-bookshelf cover I’ve ever seen, but once you start reading this book, it’s very engaging. It’s a biography of the author’s father, Lonek Lew, told through the lives of his many friends and relations, some of whom are prominent figures in history. With numerous examples of Lonek’s humour and wisdom, Lion Hearts is inspiring reading.

This biography might well have been sombre reading. Like many Jews of the post-war generation, Henry Lew sees himself as a vi
Mark Halpern
Dec 25, 2012 Mark Halpern rated it it was amazing
I am still reading this book. I am also the son of a Bialystoker and actually was in Bialystok recently (early December 2012). Harry Lew's book is a moving portrait of his survivor father, but much more. The real characters and places in this book come alive to me as I think about how my mother's family lived in Bialystok up to 1923 and some members of her family up to the War. As I walked the streets of Bialystok, I could picture Harry's father and the others in better times for Jews.

Bialystok
Joe Mel
Dec 22, 2012 Joe Mel rated it it was amazing
The way this book was written gives such depth of character to the main subject (Lonek) that I am sorry (like many others) that I was not privledged to have met him even though for the last eight years of his life I only lived 300 metres away from him. Something that I will regret as I am sure that there were many more wonderful stories that this very worldly true gentleman could have told. For those not able to have direct access to this generation of amazing people this book is a must read and ...more
Rosalyn
Jun 11, 2013 Rosalyn rated it it was amazing
I have found the book very moving and inspiring. It was a huge story to tell, with the author's immediate family being the main characters, but interwoven with the history of Bialystoker, and the numerous relatives and friends of the family. His family were remarkable people and Henry R Lew has really brought them to life in the book.
Joseph Reich
Dec 18, 2012 Joseph Reich rated it really liked it
A very readable biography written in a very accessible way that provides a very rich background story taking us into the middle of Europe for the best part of a century. Very warm and yet unsentimental at times. Highly recommended.
George Golvan
George Golvan rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Veronica Bell
Veronica Bell rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Dr Alan W Pollard
Dr Alan W Pollard rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Ada Moshinsky
Ada Moshinsky marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016