Start by marking “Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)” as Want to Read:
Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
Preview

Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington Bear #8)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  15 reviews
If a boulder rolls down the aisle of a bus, sending the entire carload careening; if a visitor to the hospital leaves even the staff psychiatrist baffled; or if a hostess discovers her surprise dessert is “baked elastic,” you can be sure that Paddington is somewhere close at hand. Still wearing his floppy old hat, he causes trouble wherever he goes. Even a wedding is hardl ...more
Published June 16th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington Goes to Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington Goes to Town

Sue
I loved the Paddington books, as a child. My imagination was captured by these stories of the orphaned bear found in a London railway station, who makes his home with the Brown family and their housekeeper Mrs Bird. Each book consists of a series of stories about the small bear, who gets himself into difficult situations, often due to misunderstandings or over-enthusiasm.

This book is eighth or ninth in the series but it's not necessary to have read any others. This one begins with Paddington be
Mark
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. In this one he caddies for Mr Curry in a golfing competition, which results in Paddington winning it for Mr Curry, but then Mr Curry (having slipped on a marmalade sandwich) ends up in hospital. On a visit to the hospital, he ends up having an appointment with a psychiatrist - and I clearly remember reading this chapter in my youth as, in a test of reactions, the psychiatrist gets Paddington to say the opposite to what he has just sai ...more
Cara Stone
Perfect for bedtime stories, Paddington spreads his marmalade fingers and unintentional mischief wherever he goes. Younger kids will love being read these chapters and older children will love exploring 32 Windsor Gardens. Recommended for elementary school libraries.
Documentally
Probably a bit complicated for a 5 & 3 year old. They seemed distracted during much of it as there are dated words and phrases.
Still, I had a giggle in parts.
Mark O'Neill
This book was great, just like all the others. I especially liked how he got the psychiatrist all worked up in the hospital by turning his questions back at him and then when he ran into the next room, he was mistaken for a visiting surgeon from Peru! He was at the hospital because he was at the golf course helping Mr Curry with his golfing and Curry slipped on Paddington's marmalade sandwich. So Paddington takes over the golfing, hits the ball into a train, the train takes the ball miles away a ...more
Karen
A brilliant expose of the bear. Fave chapters included the hospital psychiatrist and waiting a Christmas party table.
Catriona
Reading this book now I regret not having done so back when I was a kid. I'm definitely going to go back and read the books from the start now, though!
I remember splitting my sides over the visit to the staff psychiatrist, and I still want to try Baked Alaska because of Paddington's adventures with baked elastic. Paddington was the beloved companion of my younger elementary school years.
Felicity
This was brilliant like all the other Paddington books and my favourite bit had to be when Paddington went to hospital and wound up a psychiatrist by being too literal!
Marlee
Very funny! Both of my kids enjoyed this book, and I did, too. Funny and cute and enjoyable for all ages.
Damien Malcolm
This one has a couple of very funny sections that are amusing to kids and adults alike. Nice read.
Ruby
My favorite chapter was the hospital one.
Elizabeth
Another awesome book!
Beverly
Charming as usual.
Cws
JAR5-Bon
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Ricky Whitmore
Ricky Whitmore marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • Bears: A Brief History
  • Bears
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • The Poems
  • The Tree That Sat Down (The Magic Woodland Trilogy, #1)
  • Doctor Dolittle and the Secret Lake (Doctor Dolittle, #10)
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • Memily
  • The Everything Book
  • Lady Catherine's Necklace
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
Michael Bond OBE is an English children's author. He is the creator of Paddington Bear and has written about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also writes culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • The Adventures of Paddington
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • A Bear Called Paddington: An Omnibus Including: A Bear Called Paddington, More About Paddington, Paddington Helps Out, Paddington at Large, Paddington Marches On
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1) More About Paddington (Paddington, #2) Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5) Paddington Bear Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)

“MRS BROWN STARED at Paddington in amazement. “Harold Price wants you to be an usher at his wedding?” she repeated. “Are you sure?” 0 likes
“PADDINGTON GOES TO TOWN” 0 likes