Start by marking “The Chicken Doesn't Skate” as Want to Read:
The Chicken Doesn't Skate

The Chicken Doesn't Skate

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Milo Neal is the favorite to win first prize at the science fair. But his project, which involves a chicken, sets off side-splittingly funny action with a star hockey player, a first-class dweeb, and an animal rights activist!
Published March 1st 2011 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Doesn't Skate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken Doesn't Skate

I Want to Go Home! by Gordon KormanThis Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! by Gordon KormanGo Jump in the Pool! by Gordon KormanNo More Dead Dogs by Gordon KormanBeware the Fish! by Gordon Korman
The Best of Gordon Korman
7th out of 38 books — 19 voters
G.G. Rock Climbs by Marty Mokler BanksThe Toilet Paper Tigers by Gordon KormanSummer Kicks by Simon AlderThe Batboy by Mike LupicaBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul Cude
Best Kids Sports books
7th out of 27 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique
Not my favorite! But, here's some quotes:

"I went over to his house every day that week. I mean, the guy needed the support. Even his own mother wanted to stop him from whacking Henrietta. I give him credit, though. He was brave. Every single day he tried to talk me out of coming, saying it wasn't necessary and stuff.

'Oh, it's no problem,' I told him. 'I'm here for you, buddy.' He just groaned with gratitude."

">Did you ever get the feeling that there's something going on and everybody knows ab
Heather
Milo is in Grade 6 and has just moved to St. Martin, Minnesota where his nobel prize-winning father grew up. With his dad back in Los Angeles, Milo feels that winning the science fair is the best way to earn his approval.

Enter Henrietta – the specimen. Milo has decided to record the complete life cycle of a chicken by raising a chicken from a hatchling. He is baffled when his classmates want to name her, help take care of her, and make sure she’s safe and happy at the hockey games.

When the class
Jacob
An odd little book in the Korman repertoire. Not the most compelling read he offers, at least from a story/escapist/humor perspective. From an analytical/critical perspective this could be about the most interesting thing he's done.

Not that Korman books are really supposed to stand up to any sort of critical analysis of course.

There are several major flaws with The Chicken Doesn't Skate:
1. None of the characters are engaging.
2. The plot is pretty "eh"--it can't carry the story on its own.
3. It's
Laina
One of my all-time favourite books. I just finished reading it out loud to my fifth graders, and at the end one of them sighed and said, "I just feel so sad when I finish such a good book." This book is about a chicken/science experiment/hockey mascot brings different social groups together. My class laughed and laughed, and sometimes I found it hard to read because I too was laughing so hard.
Liz
Story about a chick who starts as part of a science experiment and becomes so much more to the sixth graders at St. Martin Middle School in Minnesota. Silly and cheesy. But Gordon Korman tells a good story and I will continue recommending him to my students. Good for boys and girls.
5pfeiffer_andrew
This is abook about how a hockey team was 0-5 into they grew attached to some kids science fair project. The project was a chicken and when they brought him to one of there games they won. From there on they would not play good into the chicken showed up. On there big game night the chicken gets a cold so the kid running the science fair project would not let her go to the game. read the book to find out if they win and go on to with the finals.

This was an alright book it did not grab my atten
Carrieuoregon
A science experiment shakes up the social order of Middle School. I'm recommending this strongly to my sixth grader!
Audra
I listened to this audio book with the kids. It was quirky, funny and enjoyable.
scarlettraces
possibly not his best, although i'm not qualified to judge, not being 10 any more. i absolutely adored classics like I Want to Go Home, No Coins Please, the Bugs Potter books and Losing Joe's Place (bits of which i still vividly remember), and i read them over and over, laughing uncontrollably every time. The Chicken Doesn't Skate definitely has the classic comedy build, so that it gets better and better as it goes along. i shall have to do a controlled experiment with my 10-year-old nephew, to ...more
Kelsey Manning
I thought it was really funny that a chicken could start all that pandemonium! My teacher read it to my class, and usually when someone reads to me i cant really pay attention, but everyone in my class was paying attention! i dont think this would be a good book to re read just because there was a little bit of suspence and it woudnt be as funny after the second time. Anyway it was a really good book that lots of people could enjoy!
Joando Fernandes
This book ia about a boy named Milo who is a science geek and he cant wait till his science fair project. And in his project he needs a baby chcik called Henrietta who is also the chcik who gives the team luck and maked them win there games. But they ending of his project is that he needs to cook and eat the chicken. But he doesnt want that to happen so in this story you will see how he trys to stop this from happing.
Julie
Korman is true to form with his funny plot lines and over excited people. The book is dated--it came out in '96 (something I didn't notice until someone said, "Far out!", which should probably indicate earlier than '96...
The book is kind of fun because it's written from so many different people's perspectives, including one viewpoint of a scientist child taking notes on a project.
It's appropriate for 6th and 7th grade.
Sandra Gilson
Mar 25, 2012 Sandra Gilson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th or 6th grade
My eight year old son read this for a book report and I read it as well to make sure he was understanding what he was reading. It was funny and had a clear problem and solution. I wasn't happy with the social labeling "muscle head" hockey player, loser etc but there was a moral hidden inside this book. Unfortunately my eight year old didn't quite get it on his own.
Jack
This book was a good book. This book was about how a kid brought a chick to his school for a science project and all of the kids like it. Then the kid said he would have to kill the chicken to show a life cycle and all the kids where sad. In the end of the book the chick lays an egg which shows a life cycle and that's the kids project.
Beth
I can't believe that I am actually giving this book four stars, but my students LOVED it, and I thought it was cute. One of my students who has read 75 books (no joke) this school year, everything from The Borrowers to Vampirates, told me it was the best book he had read all year. So, on that note, I am giving it 4 stars.
Lemah SHINWARIE
I love this book it is a funny book
sabrina
I remember reading this in the library and having to fight from laughing out loud so hard I ended up with tears down my face. Not his best (that was his stuff from the 80s), but still better than all the rest!
I liked this book. Probably most appropriate for end of 4th or 5th grade. Well written. Nice twist. The narrator changes in each chapter, which is a nice challenge for 9 and 10 year olds.
Yashna
so far so good...it's about a chicken that is accidentally taken home by a hockey loving chicken hating boy that thinks his class is going crazy over the cutest chicken ever for a science project
Morgan
haha good one
Shwetha
its kinda unrealistic...... another one of our class's read-alouds
Anthony
This is a great book. Never undersestimate a chicken!
Lisa
pretty funny kept Reggie and Alex laughing
Ibby
funny book about science fair ethics and hockey
Olivia
Very good chicky book. Good for a laugh.
Claire "The Bomb"
This book was funny and a real page-turner!
Zac (Fellow Lord) Cooper
i love these drawings SO much!
Clarkw014
So far, so good
  • The Real Thief
  • Jip: His Story
  • The Cats In Krasinski Square
  • Ginger the Stray Kitten
  • The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series #1)
  • Masters of Disaster
  • The Young Man and the Sea (After Words)
  • Out of Patience
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Penelope Crumb
  • Jim Ugly
  • Toliver's Secret
  • Gideon's People
  • Yang the Youngest and his Terrible Ear
  • The Girls Take Over (Boy/Girl Battle, #8)
  • Big Wig: A Little History of Hair
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1) Schooled Swindle