Start by marking “The Devil You Know” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know

Read Book

The Devil You Know

Seventeen-year-old Julie Collins has moved to an isolated new world that is as haunting as it is beautiful. She and her mother are spending their final days with Julie’s father as he dies of cancer in his boyhood home.

But someone else walks the halls of the old mansion, the ghost of a teenage boy. He appears to Julie and shows her a vision of a ceremony…and a sacrifice.

A
Published September 9th 2012 by Smashwords (first published September 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Angel Gelique
3.5 stars, rounded up.

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t."
—Folk saying

Seventeen-year-old Julie Collins should be doing all of the fun, carefree things high school seniors do. She should be dating. She should be going to the mall. She should be planning for college.

But she shouldn't be fighting for her life.

Yet, after her family relocates to an isolated rural area, Julie finds it difficult to adjust to the strange occurrences she experiences. From ghostly visions to a "school"
Irene
Sep 04, 2013 Irene rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Devil You Know is most definitely a story about Julie. You will not be allowed to forget this. The author goes to great pains to make sure you remember her name. In fact her name appears a full 1,746 times in the book. Julie raised, Julie saw, Julie pushed, Julie heaved, Julie felt, Julie refused, Julie Julie Julie! No I did not count them. By the time I was 10% through the book I was put off by the number of sentences that begin with the word Julie, and typed it into the kindle's "search th ...more
Adrian Lilly
Oct 02, 2012 Adrian Lilly rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm sharing a quote from the review by The Kindle Book Review:

"If you are a fan of this genre, if you are a fan of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or John Saul then you will become a fan of Adrian Lilly..."

It's important for me to note, as an author, that this is not a fast-paced novel. Readers who do not enjoy a Gothic, slower read, one about subtle spookiness and the poetry of autumn, may not enjoy this novel. It's creepy...not a slasher.
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
For more of my reviews visit http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

When I read the description for The Devil You Know it sounded like my kind of book so obviously I was pleased to accept it to review. The book is set over the month of October with each chapter starting a new day. I thought this was a great idea which made the book easy to follow in relation to time and was quite original. It wasn't until the end that I connected October leading up to Halloween but when I got to that part in the book
John Caliburn
Sep 26, 2013 John Caliburn rated it really liked it
I found this book on Amazon while I was looking for something scary to read. And I'm glad I found it! This book is awesome. It could be even scarier than anything I've written (which I reluctantly admit).

It's about this girl Julie who is moving to her father's old house. And then her life turns to hell. At first, the story was a little slow, but then I realized that the pacing was perfect to slowly build up the suspense. She becomes isolated with no phone signal or internet, she doesn't get any
Michelle Lewis
Nov 14, 2012 Michelle Lewis rated it really liked it

First off I want to say WOW.The Devil You Know has a great story line and plot and i'm so glad the author contacted me asking if I would review it for him.

The main character is Seventeen-year-old Julie Collins.Julie is like every other teen,has a loving mom and dad and a best friend. Julies dad has cancer and so he wants to die at his childhood home that's out in the middle of nowhere,and this house they are moving into is a huge mansion.the house is big and scary and has a library that burned
Ishan
Sep 29, 2013 Ishan rated it it was ok
i really wanted to give it 2.5 stars but Goodreads has no provision for that.
Story starts of with a girl(Julie) shifting to her parents old home. (as her father suffers from cancer and wants to relive his old memories for the time being). The new place she moves in is creepy and gloomy. The students and teacher at his new school are creepy and bizarre and she starts having nightmares.
wait! so you think its a haunted house story ?? absolutely not ! you are in for a surprise.
One of the things that
Meredith
Oct 04, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
I found this book a couple of weeks ago while searching for the perfect Halloween read. The Devil You Know definitely fit the bill. I stayed up later than I should've because I just couldn't stop until I finished it. Adding to the spooky atmosphere of the story, I was home alone at the time. Anyway, the story revolves around Julie Collins and her love interest Paul. I don't want to give any of the surprise twists away so I'll try to recap this without any major spoilers. The story follows Julie, ...more
Alysa H.
Jul 17, 2013 Alysa H. rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

I enjoyed the teenage characters, who seemed smarter and more pragmatic than those in many other YA genre books while still seeming their age. I especially the friendship between Julie and Marie-Do. This book also has a great creepy-woodsy atmosphere, and a quiet malevolence that was sustained nicely as the book went on. That, plus a few gross-outs and some solid subtext, kept me reading to the end. BUT...

The romance between Julie & Paul felt totally shoehorned in, and was written
Heather Richards
Oct 24, 2012 Heather Richards rated it it was amazing
Oh myyy!!! I just finished this book and absolutely loved it! Set in October against a backdrop of changing leaves, a backwards small town and an ominous mansion with secrets of its own, this riveting tale immediately draws you in and doesn’t let go. For the main character, this is the world she is forced into during her senior year of high school when her family moves to Cape Nema, the town in which her father grew up, as they cope with his terminal cancer. Right away, you feel the uneasiness o ...more
Andrea Davies
Nov 11, 2012 Andrea Davies rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this creepy and suspenseful read. I struggled to put it down from the moment I started...coming from a person who has been known to leave books for months, that's saying something.
Natalie
Nov 01, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
With every turn of the page the darkness of this story creeped in like a fog around me. I found myself engulfed in the shadows chasing Julie and my heart raced right along with hers as the world she thought she knew unravels. This is a fantastic read especially in time for Halloween!
Stefanie
Nov 22, 2012 Stefanie rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I didn't think this book was as good as people were saying it was. A little disappointed. It wasn't terrible though. Still enjoyed the story.
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2013
John Nolley
John Nolley rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Johnnie B.
Johnnie B. rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
John Hopkins
John Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2012
Adrian Hunley
Adrian Hunley rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Scott Marlowe
Scott Marlowe rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Jan Self
Jan Self rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Patti Hanzel
Patti Hanzel rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Bethany Joyce
Bethany Joyce rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2012
Cori
Cori rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2015
Veronica Lilly
Veronica Lilly rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Sabrina Reiger
Sabrina Reiger rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Shannon Plaine
Shannon Plaine rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
The Perks Of Bein...: 99 cent creepy Halloween horror 1 13 Sep 27, 2013 02:44PM
  • The Coven (The Crystal Coast Series 1)
  • Obsession and Sacrifice (The Alaskan Heart Saga, #2)
  • Senior Year Bites (The Clanless, #1)
  • I'll Be Damned (Anna Wolfe #1)
  • Under the Looking Glass
  • Dreams of Perfection (Dreams Come True, #1)
  • Death Embraces (Mortis, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Rue Dumaine
  • Black Moon (Black Moon Saga, #1)
  • Polar Night
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Banished Spirits (My Demonic Ghost, #1)
  • Created Darkly (Kris Chase, #1)
  • The Unheards
  • Closure
  • Black Cobra (Aaron Quinn #2)
  • A Girl, A Guy and A Ghost
  • Crimson Groves
Adrian Lilly is the author of The Devil You Know, Red Haze and The Wolf at His Door. He is a fan of Gothic suspense movies and novels, which greatly influence his writing. Adrian's writing focuses on strong character development and the nuances of fear that build toward horror. The mansion in his first novel was inspired by houses in the Victorian neighborhood where he lives.

Adrian writes novels,
More about Adrian W. Lilly...