Start by marking “Peaceful Meadows” as Want to Read:
Peaceful Meadows

Peaceful Meadows

Jarred and Peter are brothers. Peter is pursuing the more conventional route of University, hard work and a good job. Unfortunately he will come to realise that hard work will not guarantee him his chosen career. The family have the same plans and expectations for Jarred.
When Jarred goes away to Poly he meets Fleur, who introduces him to Peaceful Meadows a hippie commune
Published 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Peaceful Meadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peaceful Meadows

T.B. Markinson
Mar 03, 2015 T.B. Markinson rated it liked it
This novel is about two brothers, Jarred and Peter. In the beginning, their mother has died and their father is already out of the picture. Peter is the more level-headed brother, who hopes working hard will give him the life he wants. Jarred is more of a free spirit. When he goes away to Poly, he meets Fleur. She invites Jarred to Peaceful Meadows, a hippie commune, that isn’t like the hippie communes of the sixties I’ve read about. This means they aren’t all about drug use and free love, but ...more
Mike Robbins
Mar 07, 2015 Mike Robbins rated it liked it
I struggled with my rating for this book. There was a lot to like about it, but the writing style needed a lot more thought.

The book is set in the 1980s and opens with two university-age brothers losing their mother, who is only in her 40s. As they deal with this, we get to know them and find that Peter, the older of the two, is ambitious, practical and materialistic; Jarred is gentler, and while his brother tries to build a legal career, he drifts into a commune – the Peaceful Meadows of the ti
Gloria Piper
Sociology student, Jarred, is the opposite of his older brother Peter, a law student. Against the family's wishes, Jarred is attracted to the hippie commune, Peaceful Meadows, with its low-pressure life style, its beautiful surroundings, and Fleur, a female resident and art student.

Several crises occur as Jarred adjusts from a materialistic upbringing to communal living. We get a view of how the commune functions, with its cares and blessings. In a predictable twist, a family secret is revealed
H M Reynolds
Feb 15, 2015 H M Reynolds rated it liked it
This is a novel about the family life of a young man who has lost his mother at a young age.
At the start of the novel, this tragedy is only relatively recent and the author evokes the emotion of the family members left behind well.
The story continues with the young man going to college, the campus of which is well described, making me wonder if the author had written it from experience.
Then of course, we meet the commune of the title. This is not the type of hippy community you might expect as e
OrchardBookClub
Jan 01, 2013 OrchardBookClub rated it really liked it
Initially I thought "Peaceful Meadows" wouldn't be a story I would enjoy. I found the initial few chapters of the story quite slow and difficult to "get into". At times, the layout made the story difficult to grasp, but I didn't let this put me off and I'm now very glad I didn't!

The story explores the day to day difficulties facing a family, in particular the two brothers, and their struggle with life, love & university after the loss of their mother.
One brother finds love and an alternative
Melanie Adkins
Mar 10, 2014 Melanie Adkins rated it liked it
Jarred is eighteen and burying his mother. It's a tough way to begin your college education. Slowly, with time Jarred gets back on track and heads off to college. There he meets by chance, a beautiful young woman in a coffee shop. Jarred meets her again in the library. Fleur is the woman Jarred wants to be with. After getting to know her, he begins to get to know her family. In time Jarred will find the place he feels most at home.

This book is one you will want to be sure to read. It's the seq
Miranda Cain
Nov 21, 2012 Miranda Cain rated it liked it
Peaceful Meadows by Tracey Madeley is a beautiful and inspirational tale of a boy and father separated at birth. It’s a coming of age story set in the U.K. that may or may not have you seriously considering taking a different life path.

For the first few chapters, the story moves along slowly. Stick with it. It gets better and, eventually, you won’t want to put it down because you will be compelled to finish the book.

The characters, all of them, are strong and well-developed. The plot line flows
Tom(StarWarsHippie) Rankin
Tom(StarWarsHippie) Rankin rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
Tracey Madeley
Nov 06, 2012 Tracey Madeley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Oliver Sands
Oliver Sands marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
❦Dawn❦
❦Dawn❦ marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Lorelei Orion
Lorelei Orion marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Cgwamum
Cgwamum marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kathryn Frankeny
Kathryn Frankeny marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Hippychick
Hippychick marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Catkin Blake
Catkin Blake marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Vada
Vada marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
My first degree was in Law, my second in Literature and my Masters is in the 18th Century Novel, specialising in womens 18th Century Gothic.
I like literature, philosophy and the impact of modern society on peoples lives. My writing is informed by social concerns, ecology and disability. Peaceful Meadows is my first novel and deals with an alternative hippie lifestyle.
More about Tracey Madeley...

“We're all human beings,
when did we change to havings?
Living out our life through things.
How do we get back to being again?”
2 likes