Ember's Kiss (Dragonfire, #8)

Ember's Kiss (Dragonfire #8)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  33 reviews
For centuries, the shape-shifting dragon warriors known as the Pyr have hidden themselves from mankind, defending the earth’s treasures in secrecy. But as the final reckoning with the Slayers—who are determined to eradicate both humans and the Pyr who protect them—heats up, even the most ancient secrets will be revealed.…

Brandon Merrick is determined to banish his shifter...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Signet

Sandy
EMBER’S KISS (Dragonfire #8 ) by Deborah Cooke

EMBER’S KISS is the 8th storyline in Deborah Cooke’s amazing Dragonfire series. The Pyr are shape-shifting dragon warriors whose job it is to protect humankind but once in awhile a dragon will discover his mate through a firestorm, and the firestorm will bring with it a threat against their own. This is Brandon and Liz’s story.

In the previous storylines we have been following the exploits of an ancient dragon shifter known as Chen. Believing himself...more
SheLove2Read
*NOTE: There may be spoilers. If you've read 8 books, you probably know what's going to happen anyway.

Brandon Merrick - professional surfer, poster boy for good looks, dragon. Liz Barrett - marine biologist with a secret.

Brandon is a good looking young surfer with an Australian accent, tattoos, and a smile that would melt any girls heart. He's also a dragon shifter - a Pyr - and he hates it. He believes his other self is evil and he lays this blame on his father Brandt. Brandt who didn't share...more
Elizabeth
Another Hot dragon shape shifter novel, what more could a girl ask for? The answer, her own hot dragon shifter. This novel did something that I have not seen previously. It took Brandon, who had learned to think of his dragon side as evil, and Liz, who also felt her magical side was dangerous, and put them side by side to learn from each other and life that they needed to accept both parts of themselves to be whole again. This book really entered the concept of the dark side that we all feel we...more
Pamela
Debbie
Brandon Merrick is a dragon shape shifter, a Pyr only he thinks of himself as a monster, he doesn’t know about his heritage because of an absent father. He’s focusing on surfing the Hawaiian waves while getting help from his old Chinese friend to save him from his dragon-self. But now there’s another fly in the ointment during an eclipse Brandon’s firestorm erupts, (when the Pyr find their one true mate), and what a woman she is but it’s also causing his dragon to take control.
Marine Biologist,...more
Beate
I really love this series. I don't want it to ever end. Bugger is that we're running out of dragons here! Ember's Kiss is more a coming of age story than any of the others in the series have been. Brandon, our hero, goes from hating his dragon self and contemplating suicide, to accepting who and what he is.

Even though I'm still heartbroken that Rafferty's book was so bad and we don't get to see him in this one at all, I really did love Brendan and Liz' story. He's struggling with what he is, 'he...more
Michelle
Ember's Kiss is the 8th Dragonfire novel revolving around the Pyr, dragon shapeshifters. There is an overall story arc so I highly recommend reading them in order.

In Ember's Kiss we join Brandon, Brandon has bad history with the Pyr - they are the good guys but after his Dad abandoned him and his Mum - Brandon wants nothing to do with them. Unfortunately ths means that Brandon doesn't know much about being a dragon, all he really wants is to lose the ability to shapeshift. Chen is the head of t...more
Lady Lioness
I literally just finished reading this and I have no idea what to write. Maybe it's because I've been reading a lot of new adult books, maybe because I kept thinking about the companion YA series, I don't know, but Brandon felt like a teenager to me. He came across very lost and uncertain. I felt like, if you stripped away all the paranormal elements, he and Liz would have never worked out.

Cooke does liven up the series a bit with giving the second generation, still babies and toddlers, fragmen...more
Tracie Runge

Ember's Kiss is Paranormal Romance at its best

What another engrossing and amazing instalment to the Dragonfire Series by Deborah Cooke. If you are a lover of Dragons and the paranormal and have not read this series all I can say is what are you waiting for.

The reading order for the Dragonfire series is

Kiss of Fire Dragonfire Novel Book 1
Kiss of Fury Dragonfire Novel Book 2
Kiss of Fate Dragonfire Novel Book 3
Winter Kiss Dragonfire Novel Book 4
Harmonia's Kiss Dragonfire Novella
Whispers Kiss Dragon...more
Jacqueline
I'm a fan of this series but this one was a pretty big miss for me. The hero Brandon was an idiotic gullible goob. I have no clue why the heroine would ever think she was in love with him. Because he was hawt I guess. Don't know which dragon will get his firestorm next, but if it is Thorolf it looks like he might no be any smarter. Still loving the beautiful description of dragon colors though.
Renee
Another wonderful book. I loved both Brandon and Liz, and it was great to see other characters resurface. This book is definitly worth reading and the story is very original.
Shaineinok
Brandon and Liz's story. Not a stand alone but #8 in the Dragonfire series. This is a great series and I really loved this installment.
Darkand
Surfer Pyr Brandon and Firedaughter marine biologist Liz's story - set in exotic Hawaii - lush and beautiful story! Loved it!
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
4.5stars really
This adventure of the Pyr has surfer Brandon Merrick on the cusp of achieving all his goals when he meets marine biologist Liz Barrett. Brandon has unwittingly allowed himself to become a pawn in Chen's quest for ruling the Pyr. Brandon hates his dragon and hopes the firestorm will end his ability to shift. Liz has denied her heritage as a witch and being in Hawaii seems to have re-awakened her gift, she can also see through Chen's magic. Liz doesn't understand the magic around Br...more
Valerie ~ Val Hall ~
Since it's the 8th book of the series, it's impossible for me to write a review without spoilers so, be advised.

The Dragonfire series has seen many couples formed of shape-shifting dragon warriors (the Pyr) charged with protecting the earth and humankind. If the dragon is very lucky he will find his destined mate during a firestorm. The dragons that go against this ideal turn to selfish and destructive goal and are called Slayers.

Here we have Brandon Merrick, professional surfer trying to divorc...more
Alyssa :::Riverina Romantics:::
Posted At: Riverina Romantics
Rating: 4/5*
Romance: 4/5 <3

Mommy, can I have a dragon shifter for my birthday? Pleaseeeeeee!

This was a great book! The firestorm happened fairly early, the action picked up early, then it was a race to the finish. It kept me interested, reading furiously to see how everything played out. It was nice to see an appearance by some of the other shifters and their families, I always miss how they all interact with each other. I do wish they had been allowed a little mo...more
Lisa Annesley
Brandon Merrick grew up believing that his dragon side was a monster. Now estranged from his family, he wants nothing more than to conquer the darkness within him, to eradicate the dragon from his life. His goal is to become a pro surfer, since the water element seems to calm him. To that end, he cooperates with Chen, an elderly friend of his who says he can help him control his dragon. But does Chen have Brandon's best interests at heart? Is there more to Chen than Brandon sees?

Liz Barrett is a...more
Robin
Chen, Cooke's latest Slayer villain, is so creepy, slimy and cartoonish in his evil that I could barely stand to read about him in the previous novels when he made an appearance. Though I bought this novel when it came out a year ago, as soon as I read that the novel began with Chen doing his creepy thing I passed, only to pick it up again now. It might have been different if it had been about a Pyr like Thorolf or Sloane who I as a reader was familiar with and cared about. Now I know if I had m...more
The Window Seat
Well, when I first started this book, I was admittedly on a down trend toward the whole Dragonfire series. Kiss of Fire started incredibly strong and Kiss of Fury was disappointing. But since the second one took so long to slog through, this one got rushed to the front before the 6 in between. If this one were the tie breaker (which it isn't) then I wouldn't be reading Kiss of Fate next. That one will be the last chance of the series for me.

Brandon Merrick is a dragon shifter who doesn't want to...more
Lauren
This is the 8th book in the Dragonfire series and I loved it. Brandon is a surfer dragon that wants no part of his dragon side. Liz is a marine biologist firedaughter witch that also wants nothing to do with the magic side of herself. The two have to come to grips with themselves to win out over the Slayers. I enjoyed the chemistry between the two and also loved seeing a glimpse in to the lives of previous Pyr main characters.
Elaine Wingert
Wow this book was awesome! Full of Dragon suspense mystery intrigue romance action packed drama twists and turns kept me on the edge throughout. I couldn't put it down. Yes another all nighter reading but definitely worth it. I Highly recommend.
Kathy
I really like this series, I like the characters, the story of good vs evil and the bad guys are really evil and demented to say the least. I like how the series progress with each story. The only thing is I think that it should end soon, although sometimes I hate when a series ends I think it should before it gets stale and starts to drag on.

I really liked that Liz had abilities of her own to use against the slayers, she wasn't a damsel in distress waiting for Brandon to save her and she held...more
Heather
Yummy, mindless, romance reading.
Mirjam
Ember's Kiss is the 8th book in the Dragonfire series featuring the young Pyr Brandon and marine biologist Liz. A likeable pair, although Brandon drove me daft with his gullibility at times. Liz is a wonderful character though. I love the union of dragon and firedaughter. Perhaps with her help some lost lore can be regained. This book offers danger, romance and a meeting with familiar characters. Ember's Kiss is another wonderful addition to the series!
June
I had the same issue with this book as I did with all its predecessors. That being I spend the first 3/4 of the book hating the characters and the way the story was progressing only to warm up to them in the book's climax. (Admittedly, I always like the endings despite my endless frustration with the series and lack of motivation to read it.)

While it was decent, I wouldn't say it's anything special.
Anita
I have read all of Deborah Cooke's dragon series and while a few are hit or miss, I was pleasantly surprised with this addition. I really enjoyed it. Just when I thought the story was going to get stuck, Ms. Cooke plowed through to tie the storyline up. I liked the characters and it is always wonderful to see past characters. Definitely a good read and a good addition to the series.
Mona
OMG I loved this book! Even though its not the last book in this series, I feel content in waiting for the next and not anxious as I usually do when waiting for the next book. The storyline and ending were beautifully written to the point of making me cry. The DragonFire series is an amazing read.
2readmore
Good book. I read it in one whole day. Though a lot less action and drama than some of the other Dragonfire books. It was pretty good. The main character (Brandon Merrick) was more of a self loathing type of guy, but in the end he came to love and accept himself and his dragon nature.
Jackie
I love this series. I'm sure Deborah has a master plan on how the series progresses. But I hope she doesn't wait to long to give Sloane his firestorm. I like the character's I have known for a long time to have their story before new character's have theirs.
Mindy
I just love this series by Deborah Cooke, A Dragonfire Novel. You cant deny who you are. I will definitely get the next one.
  • Deadman's Blood (Blood Series, #5)
  • Forbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3)
  • The Dracons' Woman (The Soul-Linked Saga #1)
  • A Siberian Werewolf in London (Siberian Volkov Pack, #2)
  • Twin Dragons (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #7)
  • A Love Untamed (Feral Warriors, #7)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Forbidden Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #5)
  • Koishi (GateKeepers, #1)
  • Enemy Lover (Draicon Werewolves #3)
  • How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6)
  • Dragonfyre (Druid's Glen #6)
  • Fury of Ice (Dragonfury, #2)
  • Breath of Fire
  • Taming The Dragon
  • Heart of Atlantis (Warriors of Poseidon, #8)
  • Darkest Wolf (Westervelt Wolves, #7)
  • Spellfire (Nightkeepers,#8)
Deborah Cooke also writes under the names Claire Delacroix and Claire Cross.

Deborah makes her home in Canada with her husband. When she isn't writing, she can be found knitting, sewing or hunting for vintage patterns. Deborah Cooke has always been fascinated with dragons, although she has never understood why they have to be the bad guys. She has an honors degree in history, with a focus on mediev...more
More about Deborah Cooke...
Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3) Kiss of Fury (Dragonfire, #2) Winter Kiss (Dragonfire, #4) Whisper Kiss (Dragonfire, #5)