Start by marking “The Validation Breakthrough: Simple Techniques for Communicating with People with Alzheimer's-Type Dementia” as Want to Read:

This extraordinary book shows caregivers how they can interact successfully with people with dementia by avoiding reality orientation and instead focusing on underlying emotional needs. Based on the principles of Erik Erikson and on subsequent decades of work with disoriented older adults, the simple techniques of Validation are easy to learn, take just minutes a day, and ...more
Published January 31st 2002 by Health Professions Press,U.S. (first published January 15th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Validation Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Validation Breakthrough

Dana Kraft
Sep 06, 2016 Dana Kraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This seems like a great approach to communicating with people with dementia. There are obviously a lot more ways to mess up these communications than to do them right. I hope we can make this work in our family's situation.

For me, the book was difficult to read for a couple of reasons. First, the goal of validation seems to be to make things less bad as a person approaches the end of life. So a happy ending means that someone dies in a relative state of peace. I suppose that I mostly don't look
Michele
Jun 03, 2013 Michele rated it it was ok
This approach to dealing with agitation in persons with dementia may have some merit, but I am not convinced by the underlying theory. Further, for the most part, the book is a series of anecdotes written in a somewhat self-congratulatory way that I did not find particularly scholarly. Nevertheless, the anecdotes are interesting.
Nakkinak
Apr 18, 2015 Nakkinak rated it liked it
I think the great merit of this book is the shift from looking from a nurse's perspective towards the patient's perspectivce. The underlying theory is - as many people noted - kind unscientific (cynics would call it psychobabble), arguing that actions and comments by a person affected with Alzheimer's disease are attempts to deal with emotions that come from unresolved conflicts. I think this is perfectly possible for some actions, but others simply don't make sense and have no meaning - to vali ...more
Carol
Jul 02, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some good tips on how to communicate with someone who is extremely agitated due to dementia. I am not sure I quite agree to the reasons provided for this agitation. The book suggests that there is some deep unresolved life stages that the person is working through. A part of me believes that changes in the brain probably cause some of that agitation, regardless of whatever psychiatric issues there might be. In any case, I am going to try the techniques and I can see why they would be u ...more
Renah
Dec 11, 2012 Renah rated it liked it
I think this approach sounds fantastic-- but I also think learning to use it could be very challenging. I like the author's mindset that old and "old-old" people have wisdom and deserve respect. Our culture in general has way too little respect for the old, and this is a step in the right direction.
Beth Shields
Jan 02, 2015 Beth Shields rated it really liked it
Great book by a woman who has been a pioneer in the best care for people with Alzheimer's. Applies more to very elderly people who develop dementia (ex., 80's and older) than for those who develop it at a younger age. My mother was diagnosed with AD at 70 and so much of this book doesn't apply to her situation. That said, I learned so much about AD by reading this book - I'll find it useful.
Mary Narkiewicz
Mar 29, 2014 Mary Narkiewicz rated it liked it
I actually have not read this book. I skimmed it. Important information for those working with or caring for people with Dementia. I kept it for a few months. It was a borrowed book..and I just did not get to it. May read it some day. I did read some of it.
Elaine
Good book for those who have limited experience with dementia patients. Good those who have experience, I believe this is a tactic one naturally gravitates to when working with these patients.
Ron Mackey
Ron Mackey rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Kerry
Kerry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Vaughan Meyer
Vaughan Meyer rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2016
Angela Campbell
Angela Campbell rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Judy Rex
Judy Rex rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Lynne Fleming
Lynne Fleming rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
kristin pineo
kristin pineo rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Lisa Westbrook
Lisa Westbrook rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Debrarian
Debrarian rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Giulia Liberati
Giulia Liberati rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2017
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Tina Draper
Tina Draper rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Jlhede
Jlhede rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Cydley
Cydley rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2017
John Kuypers
John Kuypers rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Todd
Todd rated it it was ok
May 11, 2016
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011