Start by marking “Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis” as Want to Read:
Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis

Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Cities are where the twenty-first century is really going to happen. Already at the beginning of the century, we became 50% urban as a global population, and by 2050 we're going to be up to 70% urban. So cities could either be our coffin or our ark.

Leo Hollis presents evidence that cities can deliver a better life and a better world in the future. From exploring what slime
Published July 16th 2013 by Bloomsbury Press (first published April 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cities Are Good for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cities Are Good for You

Walkable City by Jeff SpeckStraphanger by Taras GrescoeWriting About Architecture by Alexandra LangeDetroit City Is the Place to Be by Mark BinelliSmart Cities by Anthony M. Townsend
NextCity.org Book Club
12th out of 22 books — 15 voters
The Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanRewire by Ethan ZuckermanSmart Cities by Anthony M. TownsendBig Data by Viktor Mayer-SchönbergerThe Internet Police by Nate Anderson
Government and Technology
7th out of 28 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Jazz
Jan 07, 2014 Jazz rated it did not like it
The book was a pretty meagre throughout. I have read much on cities but I was aware of the majority of sources and anecdotes in the book already, it felt like a compendium of people's other work rather than offering any insight itself (just a lot of praise for the internet or travelling).
Claudia
Aug 11, 2014 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves: design
A surprisingly hopeful book, in many ways. I imagine that's what the author intended, and I admit to being pleasantly surprised at how well he succeeded.

Some of the early material, mainly stuff on Jane Jacobs and Robert Moses, I was already familiar with (as I would expect most people interested in city life to be), and it seemed to be a bit of a potted history, as did some of the material on Le Corbusier. Famous Theorists and Power Brokers, Bad; Observant Lady: Good (to be clear, I agree with H
Brady Dale
Jul 22, 2013 Brady Dale rated it liked it
Shelves:
From my review on NextCity Daily:

Leo Hollis’ new book, Cities Are Good for You: The Genius of the Metropolis, is not a book to “like,” exactly, but if you’re a regular reader of this space then it perhaps covers all the things you might like. I was with Hollis on his premise — that every way of life has its drawbacks but, despite these, cities are good for you, and are even better for all of us — before opening the front cover. That said, while reading I kept going back and forth about whether t
Naomi
Feb 20, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
Given the rapid urbanization of the world, the question of the sustainable city is being lived out in every country. How do we maximize the good and minimize the difficulties of cities? Hollis draws on a lot of researchers and ideas about how to change and improve the city, understanding it as a wider network and for global sustainability. Hopeful, this is an introduction to the idea of the sustainable city.
Jeramey
Jan 05, 2014 Jeramey rated it liked it
The book meandered quite a bit, so I never quite go the sense of a coherent hypothesis. The name of the book is of course pushing towards one, but that isn't addressed in some grand argument in the book.

Lots of tidbits about the good things happening in various cities, but also the challenges. All of which cumulatively didn't add up to me to the kind of strong message presented in something like a Richard Florida or Ed Glaeser book.

The thoughts were all there, just the editing didn't push the en
Brad
Jan 18, 2014 Brad rated it liked it
This book was just so-so. Hollis enjoys sharing his thoughts and opinions perhaps too much, and his arguments tend to wind and meander much like the street configurations in the suburban housing developments he opposes. However, he does take on quite a bit (again, perhaps too much) and provides a decent survey of material that he is just unfortunate to have had covered by other authors who have more thoroughly outlined and supported their claims (e.g., Al Gore in The Future, Kasarda and Lindsay ...more
Jenn Adams
May 06, 2015 Jenn Adams rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, nonfiction
3.5
The first half was at least a SOLID four for me, but it started to lag around the middle. It picked up a bit, but not to the level of the first bit. Overall, I'd recommend it for people who are already interested in urban studies and things like that (I am), but not necessarily for the general public.
Michiel
Hollis describes the advantages and challenges which accompany living in a city. Contained some interesting anecdotes, but overal not a very gripping read, with a not very strong message.
Alexander
Jul 12, 2015 Alexander rated it really liked it
I started out with both this and 'Smart Cities', and ended up sticking with this one. Both have a condensed history of urban planning - useful in some cases, but I've read it before - but this does a better job with the people side of cities. It's a good blend of anecdote, narrative example, and statistics, though I'm sure arguments could be made about other causes of success. A good introduction to urban issues and benefits that doesn't require pre-existing knowledge.
Jafar
Nov 23, 2013 Jafar rated it liked it
Just an occasional drive through the drab and soulless suburbs depresses me. So, yes, cities are good for me. But I didn't need this much of arguing in favor of city life. This is a good book to read if you're an urban planner or a historian. I think I just wasn't the right audience for this book.
Carmen
Jun 19, 2015 Carmen rated it it was ok
I'm a bit surprised this was an international bestseller. It's in dire need of a good editor, and was mostly quite boring given the potential of the subject matter. But I learned a few interesting things along the way, so.
Mike Ward
Oct 05, 2014 Mike Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
a passionate treatise to cities - full review here

Voracious
Sep 01, 2015 Voracious rated it really liked it
Interesting. Needed more editing.
Allie
Aug 25, 2015 Allie rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, thought provoking and fun.
Miriam Williams
Miriam Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Marina Abdurakhmanova
Marina Abdurakhmanova marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Fredrik
Fredrik is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Vanya
Vanya marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Andre Oosterman
Andre Oosterman marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Nikolay Mushkov
Nikolay Mushkov rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2016
Jared Staley
Jared Staley marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Callie
Callie is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Victoria Foing
Victoria Foing is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Abe Mccarthy
Abe Mccarthy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Nickolette
Nickolette rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Oli
Oli rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
  • The Metropolitan Revolution: How Cities and Metros are Fixing our Broken Politics and Fragile Economy
  • The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City
  • Great Streets
  • The High Cost of Free Parking
  • The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community, and the American Dream
  • Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature
  • Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives
  • The End of the Suburbs: Where the American Dream Is Moving
  • The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins
  • The Shape of a Pocket