Start by marking “The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One

The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (The Wheel of Time - Graphic Novels #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Created with the cooperation of the Jordan estate, adapted by well-known comics writer Chuck Dixon and illustrated by the talented Chase Conley, The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel has been hailed as an exciting interpretation of Robert Jordan's classic fantasy novel.

The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One begins Robert Jordan’s epic tale by introducing Ran
Published May 28th 2013 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of the World

Phaedra
It was easier to read this for me than the actual book. I disliked the artwork, mainly for it's inconsistency with characters looking the same or even being recognizable. When there are three boys who all have brown hair and I can't tell them apart... that's a problem for me. I like that the story itself is distilled down to it's essence, it makes it easier to follow and the story doesn't overpower itself. I hope at some point they change artists, or the current artist refines his characters so ...more
Alex Ristea
This adaptation is going sloooooooooooow.

And I mean that in the best way possible. It took 6 issues just for the group to leave Two Rivers, and that this rate we have a long, fine road ahead of us. As far as I can tell, I'm not sure what the plan is—to adapt the whole series or just the arc of the first three books (the original "Eye of the World" story).

The art is good, and it's doing well so far of adapting this sprawling work into a new medium.
Ranting Dragon

When the graphic novel adaption of New Spring, the prequel to the epic Wheel of Time series, was released on January 18th, it was well received here at the Ranting Dragon. Having loved that, we’re even more thrilled to be able to review the first volume of The Eye of the World Graphic Novel, the comic adaption of the first novel in The Wheel of Time series.

An aesthetic beauty
This absolutely stunning hardcover does The Eye of the World justice. The characte
Sannie Hald
description

My beloved 'hubby' found this for me and I was so excited that I read the first volume there and then. I love how graphic novels bring something new into a well-known story, and how for those unfortunate souls who does not find pure pleasure in reading the book and all its pages, can get much and more for reading the few sentences and looking at the beautiful illustrated pictures which are found within.
Robin  The Mockingjay Lives!
I read this for Booktube-A-Thon 2014, for the book with pictures category.

This graphic novel is filled with gorgeous illustrations. You know what they say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." and I know this cover is ugly but the images inside are beautiful.
Gonzalo
Funny how the adaptation is almost as slow as the books lol.
Margot
I enjoyed this graphic novel adaptation of The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Book 1) quite a bit more than I expected to after my disappointment with the New Spring graphic novel. The only frustrating thing is that they are being produced so slowly. I would love to "reread" the series (up to where I left off) in this new form, but despite publication of the first graphic novel volume back in 2011, there are still only four published volumes, and that's still only covering part of the first boo ...more
Natalie
I have read the entire Wheel of Time series. This is the one book (besides A Memory of Light, of course) that is not a reread for me. I just got it and read it for the first time. However, it's impossible for me to fully separate it from the actual novel version of The Eye of the World, so this review will illustrate some of my mixed feelings as a result of comparing the two. There were some things I liked more than the actual novel and some I didn’t. I don’t want to get into them too much becau ...more
Kimberly
For the last 10 years my best friend has been trying to get me to read The Wheel of Time series and while I do own most of the series I didn't take the plunge until last night when I picked up the graphic novel adaptation after borrowing it on a whim from the library.

The artwork in this volume was nothing short of fantastic. I loved the style the artists implemented. The colours were dark but they really popped off the pages. The artistry went hand in hand with the story was being told and I fel
Julie
*4.5 Stars*

Beautifully rendered first edition to the series!

The Eye of the World Graphic Novel Volume One depicts a world where the Light and Dark were once at war and may be again. The focal character is a young man known as Rand al’Thorn who lives in a peaceful town until chaos ensues his people. After a few revelations, he sets off on a journey with a few others in an attempt to keep his home safe. Little does he know his journey has just begun.

First, I would like to say that although I have
Magila
There is one reason this book is getting a 1: Artwork!

Cover art should make you want to buy a comic-graphic novel - not laugh.

Artwork! I am certain the penciler-inker is talented. He is far more talented than I. I was once described as having as much artistic ability as a "bowl full of wet jello." This said, this a bad, BAD trajectory that the Wheel of Time series is headed down with regard to its art.

The story, classic. The adaptation, solid (4 solid). But the last couple dozen pages of the N
Mel
One can’t help but laugh when looking at the cover of this graphic novel. “The Eye of the World – Graphic Novel - Volume One”. I don’t mean a cheerful, isn’t that so amusing laugh – I mean a wry, slightly unhinged laugh. I think we are to the point where only the most fervent fan of The Wheel of Time wouldn’t agree the entire series could benefit from a drastic editing job, and on the surface of it a graphic novel version would seem likely to address the problem of far too many unnecessary words ...more
Josh

There is something magical about seeing your favorite story life before your eyes. Even if the characters don't look exactly as you pictured them, and even if the artistic style isn't exactly what you might have preferred, there are still many moments while reading this where you have to sit back and feel a rush of giddiness come over you. After all... This is THE WHEEL OF TIME!

One thing that I found fairly unique about this book is that it includes so much of the material from the novel. The
Jeff Raymond
Having struggled a bit through The Wheel of Time, but overall leaving the series feeling positive on a whole, I figured a good endcap would be trying out the graphic novel adaptation of The Eye of the World, which only covers the first section of the novel.

The good is that it does what Jordan was incapable of doing - it boils the story down to (for the most part) its important essences. The story feels a lot more concise and the point of what's going on comes about a lot clearer. With that said,
Shivering William
I'm not sure who to blame: Jordan or the people who adapted this. When I saw it sitting on the shelf, I thought, "Oh great, now I can read that epic fantasy that's over ten thousand pages long and supposedly becomes really tiresome without having to waste months of my life." Even in its condensed, graphic state, it got pretty tiresome pretty quickly. Nevermind the tired fantasy tropes (trolls = trollocs, ogres = oigres, the bad guy = Shai'tan (or something)), the story just wasn't engaging. Is T ...more
Angie
It gives a new perspective and easy to follow story. The artwork is not the best, the color is very dark, and some of the characters is messy for me. Moiraine has dead face most of the time, and Lan looks like a middle aged man, also Perrin looks like he can pick Lan up with one hand.
The cover is really a turn off, it doesn't sell the epic story inside.
Marilag
There's quite a bit of background that I felt might have been better expanded in the actual Wheel of Time series, but I also feel like this was a good time to see what the series itself was about. This graphic novel adaptation seems interesting, so I might continue anyway.
Randy
This is the beginning of the wheel of time. So long ago, I began this series, it has been nice to revisit the beginning. We meet Rand and Perrin and Mat, the three around whom this whole series will revolve. When trollocs attack the village of Emond's Field, Rand and his friends leave their homw to seek answers. Little do they know, that this is the beginning of an epic battle between good and evil.

I picked this book up because I have been reading this series for years. This graphic version look
Steven
I got this in the mail today and sat down to read it. Alas, I finished it. It was very visually appealing and the story rekindles my childhood love for adventure stories. I am excited to read the next installment. However, I am really focusing on how cool I think the series will be. In terms of this installment, I have to admit that the story itself is your basic intro to a long series. All the characters are introduced and the basic idea of the story is introduced. The character of Lan is prett ...more
Cynthia
Excellent art work, and a great summary of what happens in the first book. Definitely not a replacement for the novel, but is a great review when you want to revisit the series.
Kellie
I am currently trying to expand our graphic novel selection in the library to the dismay of my director and Inter-Library Loaned this and the second volume to find out if it may be a good fit for our library. While I like fantasy novels I have yet to conquer the Wheel of Time series.

This graphic novel seemed to flow well and as usual there are fantasy names to get used to. As I have not read the novels I have nothing to compare to, however I am satisfied. The ending made me interested in finding
Miriam
I don't know if this would be as good without having read the original novel... but it would probably still be enjoyable. A lot of the female characters are given very small parts in this volume, whereas I recall (from when I read the novel 15 years ago) they were very well developed in the novel. So little is mentioned about them in this version, that I have no idea why one of them does what she does at the end (except I know because I read the novel and vaguely remember her reasons.) But, it's ...more
Michael
I won this Graphic Novel thru "Goodreads" give aways. The story line is interesting enough to make me want to continue this series. The graphics & coloring are top rate! What I would of liked to have seen in this novel is a "Glossary" of names & places so I could reference the different characters to get to know them better and understand the story line easier than trying to figure it out myself or guessing who's who and some of the novels locations. As an example I kept forgetting who o ...more
Ginny
Would have considered giving it five stars if Moiraine hadn't been comically short.
Lynn
I did not compare this story to the book, I did not analyze the artwork in relation to what I had already visualize from reading the books, and I did not judge the artwork while reading.

I just read, viewed and thoroughly enjoyed the journey from cover to back. It was a great way to revisit a story that I enjoy and to experience it in a different way and I will not be letting this book go as I plan to visit again.

I hope the graphic novels continue for the entire series as I will enjoy having anot
Alana
**disclaimer: i've not read the original books so please take into account for this review.**

great. rich and vibrant comic book artwork. nice layout, but confussing at first getting the characraters and situations organized in my head. by chapter 3 the fast paced adventure really began and i couldn't put it down. although there were a few places where it felt as if there were panels removed for the final draft. overall, it definately makes me want to read the originals and the rest of the series
Sherilyn
Wasn't blown away by the graphics. Juvenile. Won't probably read any further.
Marc Leroux
This isn't the genre that I normally read, but I've been a big fan of Chuck Dixon for years. The artwork is a bit uneven, the story predictable, but when you combine everything it is a pretty good read. At 200+ pages, I didn't think that this would be a single sitting read, but it turned out to be.
This is a typical prequel; setting the stage, introducing the characters, etc., and admittedly was a bit hard to follow initially, but the story and characters converged towards the end. It was a good,
Tim Vandenberg
An excellent introduction to the Wheel of Time series, especially for the completely uninitiated....

One complaint: The art often-times is hard to follow, unless (I assume) the reader has completed the novel version first.

That said, this is best-suited for grades 7+ (violent, bloody imagery in battle scenes, etc.). Otherwise, this just feels much like Tolkienian high-fantasy, but in a very different world with a very different cosmology & ethic.

Recommended for readers grades 7+ who are also i
Tim Newman
It is a pretty good story and it helped me understand the novel.
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • Dragon Hunt (WarCraft: The Sunwell Trilogy, #1)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 9 (Zenescope)
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales
  • Before Watchmen: Minutemen/Silk Spectre
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)
  • Ivy
  • Troop 142
  • Romeo and Juliet: The War
  • Green Hornet, Vol. 1
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • reMIND: Volume 1
  • One Soul

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)