Start by marking “The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One

The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (The Wheel of Time - Graphic Novels #1)

Created with the cooperation of the Jordan estate, adapted by well-known comics writer Chuck Dixon and illustrated by the talented Chase Conley, The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel has been hailed as an exciting interpretation of Robert Jordan's classic fantasy novel.

The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One begins Robert Jordan's epic tale by introducing Ran
Published May 28th 2013 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eye of the World

Phaedra
Sep 23, 2011 Phaedra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, print, 2011
It was easier to read this for me than the actual book. I disliked the artwork, mainly for it's inconsistency with characters looking the same or even being recognizable. When there are three boys who all have brown hair and I can't tell them apart... that's a problem for me. I like that the story itself is distilled down to it's essence, it makes it easier to follow and the story doesn't overpower itself. I hope at some point they change artists, or the current artist refines his characters so ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jan 05, 2016 Cathy (cathepsut) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WoT fans, obviously... People that are scared of the books...
I read the first three books about a decade ago. I am not a big fan of re-reading books (too many new ones to read), but I want to try and read the whole of WoT and need reminding. This is where I start. Slightly spoilery.

This comic book version of The Eye of the World is Volume 1 and contains seven chapters, that do not actually match up with the chapters in the book (10 chapters). Why not have the same chapters as the book?

I like the artwork. Well drawn, some very nice details. Some pages hav
Ranting Dragon
Oct 09, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephan, james

When the graphic novel adaption of New Spring, the prequel to the epic Wheel of Time series, was released on January 18th, it was well received here at the Ranting Dragon. Having loved that, we’re even more thrilled to be able to review the first volume of The Eye of the World Graphic Novel, the comic adaption of the first novel in The Wheel of Time series.

An aesthetic beauty
This absolutely stunning hardcover does The Eye of the World justice. The characte
Alex Ristea
Nov 20, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it
This adaptation is going sloooooooooooow.

And I mean that in the best way possible. It took 6 issues just for the group to leave Two Rivers, and that this rate we have a long, fine road ahead of us. As far as I can tell, I'm not sure what the plan is—to adapt the whole series or just the arc of the first three books (the original "Eye of the World" story).

The art is good, and it's doing well so far of adapting this sprawling work into a new medium.
Sannie Hald
description

My beloved 'hubby' found this for me and I was so excited that I read the first volume there and then. I love how graphic novels bring something new into a well-known story, and how for those unfortunate souls who does not find pure pleasure in reading the book and all its pages, can get much and more for reading the few sentences and looking at the beautiful illustrated pictures which are found within.
Marlowe
I took all the Wheel of Time-related graphic novels out from the library and brought them along on vacation. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that The Eye of the World comes in six volumes, and only brought the three my library has. I got to the end of the third pretty certain that a good chunk was missing and, sure enough, I'm only halfway through. Still, I figured I'd better write a review, since I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on the next three volumes.

I was quite surprised by h
Margot
I enjoyed this graphic novel adaptation of The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Book 1) quite a bit more than I expected to after my disappointment with the New Spring graphic novel. The only frustrating thing is that they are being produced so slowly. I would love to "reread" the series (up to where I left off) in this new form, but despite publication of the first graphic novel volume back in 2011, there are still only four published volumes, and that's still only covering part of the first boo ...more
Roberta Jayne
Dec 29, 2016 Roberta Jayne rated it really liked it
Pretty decent. Love the artwork in this, it's dark and rich and perfect for this immense story. Kind of sad that the story barely gets started in this volume, but I appreciate that there was a lot of info/set up that needed to be given.

Yeah, it was handled really well. And the characters, and magic system, were nicely set up and explained. Perrin looks a bit too gruff and brutish in my opinion but Nyaneve, Moraine, Rand and Matt are spot on.
Robin  The Mockingjay Lives!
I read this for Booktube-A-Thon 2014, for the book with pictures category.

This graphic novel is filled with gorgeous illustrations. You know what they say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." and I know this cover is ugly but the images inside are beautiful.
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
I didn't finish this one. It's by no means bad, but it is literally like reading the book again, just with pictures. I'd recommend it for folks who are curious about The Wheel of Time. Veterans, however, might be disappointed.
BooksInPhotos
Funny how the adaptation is almost as slow as the books lol.
Louisiana36
Sep 06, 2015 Louisiana36 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked on this series for the graphic novels
Natalie
Feb 25, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the entire Wheel of Time series. This is the one book (besides A Memory of Light, of course) that is not a reread for me. I just got it and read it for the first time. However, it's impossible for me to fully separate it from the actual novel version of The Eye of the World, so this review will illustrate some of my mixed feelings as a result of comparing the two. There were some things I liked more than the actual novel and some I didn’t. I don’t want to get into them too much becau ...more
Madison
This is my second stab at this series after getting about three quarters of the way though the first book some 10 years ago and then losing interest. It's still very generic and very "The Thing of Nouns," but I may slowly work my way though it. I'm not nearly invested enough in this world to want to read 14 bricks, but I'm still interested in finding out what happens, so the graphic novel adaptation might be a good fit for me. The art and the writing are both serviceable, even if they aren't spe ...more
Julie
May 08, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
*4.5 Stars*

Beautifully rendered first edition to the series!

The Eye of the World Graphic Novel Volume One depicts a world where the Light and Dark were once at war and may be again. The focal character is a young man known as Rand al’Thorn who lives in a peaceful town until chaos ensues his people. After a few revelations, he sets off on a journey with a few others in an attempt to keep his home safe. Little does he know his journey has just begun.

First, I would like to say that although I have
Kimberly
For the last 10 years my best friend has been trying to get me to read The Wheel of Time series and while I do own most of the series I didn't take the plunge until last night when I picked up the graphic novel adaptation after borrowing it on a whim from the library.

The artwork in this volume was nothing short of fantastic. I loved the style the artists implemented. The colours were dark but they really popped off the pages. The artistry went hand in hand with the story was being told and I fel
Josh
Sep 07, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There is something magical about seeing your favorite story life before your eyes. Even if the characters don't look exactly as you pictured them, and even if the artistic style isn't exactly what you might have preferred, there are still many moments while reading this where you have to sit back and feel a rush of giddiness come over you. After all... This is THE WHEEL OF TIME!

One thing that I found fairly unique about this book is that it includes so much of the material from the novel. The
Mel
Feb 16, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
One can’t help but laugh when looking at the cover of this graphic novel. “The Eye of the World – Graphic Novel - Volume One”. I don’t mean a cheerful, isn’t that so amusing laugh – I mean a wry, slightly unhinged laugh. I think we are to the point where only the most fervent fan of The Wheel of Time wouldn’t agree the entire series could benefit from a drastic editing job, and on the surface of it a graphic novel version would seem likely to address the problem of far too many unnecessary words ...more
Magila
There is one reason this book is getting a 1: Artwork!

Cover art should make you want to buy a comic-graphic novel - not laugh.

Artwork! I am certain the penciler-inker is talented. He is far more talented than I. I was once described as having as much artistic ability as a "bowl full of wet jello." This said, this a bad, BAD trajectory that the Wheel of Time series is headed down with regard to its art.

The story, classic. The adaptation, solid (4 solid). But the last couple dozen pages of the N
Suzette Banick
I have a love/hate relationship with the graphic adaptations of this series. I love it because it is Wheel of Time and because it cuts out a lot of the boring descriptive stuff. I hate it because none of the characters look right. Moraine is too tall and too bony. Lan's cloak goes from dark green to lime in one frame, and the only way to tell the boys apart is by their hair styles. the best drawn things are the trollocs.
Jeff Raymond
Having struggled a bit through The Wheel of Time, but overall leaving the series feeling positive on a whole, I figured a good endcap would be trying out the graphic novel adaptation of The Eye of the World, which only covers the first section of the novel.

The good is that it does what Jordan was incapable of doing - it boils the story down to (for the most part) its important essences. The story feels a lot more concise and the point of what's going on comes about a lot clearer. With that said,
Michael
Sep 11, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still a good story! I don't always agree with the artist's rendition, but it's always good to see how others view the characters.
Michael T.
Feb 21, 2015 Michael T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great adaptation for a great book. The only scene in it that didn't appear in the book itself was a prologue bit where Tam Al'Thor tells the tale of the Dragon. It doesn't detract from the story, it just sets the mood for the rest of it. Otherwise all of the dialogue is straight from the novel.
The downsides are few, but noticeable. The differences in artwork between chapters can be pretty jarring. In one Thom Merrilin looks like a fit older gentleman with a Fu Manchu mustache. In another he lo
Shaun
It's kind of hard to compare a graphic novel to the actual novel. You build up these images in your head, and the images on the page can never really do them justice. Still, this graphic version is decent enough. In a way I am happy to go to this version. I had read the whole series a couple years ago, and wanted to revisit it but didn't want to put in the huge amount of time it takes instead of reading new books I've never read. So going back to the Two Rivers in this form works out.

Anyway, I h
Christian McKay
I'm not sure who to blame: Jordan or the people who adapted this. When I saw it sitting on the shelf, I thought, "Oh great, now I can read that epic fantasy that's over ten thousand pages long and supposedly becomes really tiresome without having to waste months of my life." Even in its condensed, graphic state, it got pretty tiresome pretty quickly. Nevermind the tired fantasy tropes (trolls = trollocs, ogres = oigres, the bad guy = Shai'tan (or something)), the story just wasn't engaging. Is T ...more
Randy
This is the beginning of the wheel of time. So long ago, I began this series, it has been nice to revisit the beginning. We meet Rand and Perrin and Mat, the three around whom this whole series will revolve. When trollocs attack the village of Emond's Field, Rand and his friends leave their homw to seek answers. Little do they know, that this is the beginning of an epic battle between good and evil.

I picked this book up because I have been reading this series for years. This graphic version look
Steven
Mar 13, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this in the mail today and sat down to read it. Alas, I finished it. It was very visually appealing and the story rekindles my childhood love for adventure stories. I am excited to read the next installment. However, I am really focusing on how cool I think the series will be. In terms of this installment, I have to admit that the story itself is your basic intro to a long series. All the characters are introduced and the basic idea of the story is introduced. The character of Lan is prett ...more
Pants
May 16, 2015 Pants rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellie
Nov 07, 2012 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am currently trying to expand our graphic novel selection in the library to the dismay of my director and Inter-Library Loaned this and the second volume to find out if it may be a good fit for our library. While I like fantasy novels I have yet to conquer the Wheel of Time series.

This graphic novel seemed to flow well and as usual there are fantasy names to get used to. As I have not read the novels I have nothing to compare to, however I am satisfied. The ending made me interested in finding
Vov
My opinion on all six graphic novels of The Eye of the World:
Much to my surprise, this generic LotR-(much too)inspired high fantasy story actually works in comic book format. It was a light, fun read. This adaptation takes things slow, and lets reader slowly immerse themselves in the world. I felt it had balance between expository scene, and fast paced action. Felt that I was reading the original novel, just without extra 400 pages of grueling descriptive prose. I'd dive into all other 13 books
  • One Soul
  • Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague
  • Troop 142
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • reMIND: Volume 1
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • Sojourn: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Laddertop, Volume 1
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 2
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Ivy
  • The New York Five
  • Dragon Hunt (WarCraft: The Sunwell Trilogy, #1)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 3
  • Before Watchmen: Minutemen/Silk Spectre

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time - Graphic Novels (7 books)
  • New Spring: the Graphic Novel
  • The Eye of the World: the Graphic Novel, Volume Two (Wheel of Time Other)
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three (Wheel of Time Other)
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Four