Start by marking “Sandstorm” as Want to Read:
Sandstorm

Sandstorm

Sandstorm is a thrilling debut novel about an ex–CIA agent and a covert operation designed to derail Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Lurking in the shadows, away from any government oversight, a secret partnership has been formed between an Israeli spymaster pulling the strings of the most efficient killing machine the Mossad has to offer and an exclusive billionaire boys club th
Published June 4th 2013 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Sandstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandstorm

Misty
Jun 09, 2013 Misty rated it it was amazing
Alan L. Lee’s Sandstorm, is a fantastic debut novel. What more could you want in an action suspense book then CIA agents, an Israeli spy, a Mossad agent a United States Senator and a billionaire who all appear to be immersed in an Iranian nuclear operation.
The series introduces readers to Alex Koves a former CIA agent and an ex-pro football player. His ex girlfriend and current CIA agent Nora Mossa, hunts Alex down to the St. Thomas islands where he’s enjoying a much needed vacation, begging hi
Amani Abdul
Jun 11, 2013 Amani Abdul rated it it was amazing
Finished reading Alan L. Lee's 79 Chapter, 317 page, debut spy-thriller novel, "SANDSTORM" in 3 days!!! And WOW!!! I love the mini chapters!
Each chapter describes a scene, so it's perfect to follow and one part doesn't overflow to the next, so there's no confusion...just smooth reading! Between the good and corrupt characters; ex-CIA agent, CIA, FBI, M16, Mossad, FSB, government officials, the plot, and all of the places worldwide where the action takes place; Washington DC, Paris, Brussels, T
Bpp531
Jan 05, 2014 Bpp531 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To start with, I have a few overall problems with the structure of this book and one of its characters. Everything about this book feels rushed. The plot felt rushed. The character development felt rushed. The pace felt rushed. Also does it bother anybody else that the main character is an ex NFL star? I mean, how is it possible that a CIA undercover agent was an ex-football player. Isn't that a bit of a too public occupation to then parlay into a covert field?

There were smaller issues with the
Heike Franke
Mar 21, 2013 Heike Franke rated it really liked it
First I have to say I'm not much of a thriller reader. Still, Sandstorm grabbed me. It is fast paced and for a debut a solidly crafted novel. At the beginning I had some trouble not getting confused by the many characters appearing in rapid progression and sorting through who is who and who is in what relation to who. I think some more information thrown in about the main characters would do the book good - also to enable the reader to get to know the characters better.
The story jumps locations
Jerome
Apr 15, 2013 Jerome rated it liked it
The first half of the story crawls along, crammed with somewhat disjointed happenings whose significance to the overall plot is unclear, a caveat not helped by the story's uneven pacing. However, Lee does a great job bringing the characters to life, and the various storylines tie together very smoothly.

This a quick read. The action involves arms dealers, Iranian nuclear ambitions, professional killers, CIA traitors, sexual tension, and the Mossad, but also clunky writing (e.g., “We’re like pawns
Anne Harm
Aug 22, 2014 Anne Harm rated it it was ok
I had high hopes, given this was the second book chosen for the WDET Book Club... alas it did not live up to my expectations. In fact I regret prioritizing it over another book (White Teeth by Zadie Smith), since now it will be kind of a crush to finish that one in time for book club meeting next Wednesday. For some reason I seldom give up on books, though! I feel like I need to earn the right to state an opinion, by at least trying to read the whole thing. For me, this was basically a common ro ...more
Eva Strzelewicz
Apr 16, 2013 Eva Strzelewicz rated it it was amazing
From beginning to end, Sandstorm was fast-paced, thrilling, and really kept my interest throughout the entire book. The mini chapters I thought were an interesting way to present the book...but it worked in this case. There were many different characters involved in the storyline and by having shorter chapters, it made it easier to understand what was happening with each one and how they were all connected. The ending was a surprise...certainly not what I had expected. But...isn't that the point ...more
Anthony Irven
Apr 28, 2014 Anthony Irven rated it liked it
If you wanted something no too taxing then this is the book for you! It involves the CIA, FBI and other spy organisations involved in wealthy men trying to takeover the world!
Is Israel and the US helping Iran set up there Nuclear Weapons Grade Uranium plant? Could Senator Lipton be involved in this devious plan and make himself President of the US? Why did Nathan Yadin blow up the Nuclear plant?
All of these questions, that you have probably read about in other books gets another run hear.
I think
Laurie
Jul 08, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller, written by Fox 2 Detroit's Morning News anchor Alan Lee. Enjoyed reading this thriller, which had around the world locales, CIA, ex CIA, nuclear threat, professional assassins and political power brokers. Well written, I chuckled at the well-turned phrases, some light moments to break up the tension, and I kept turning the pages until a satisfying end. I found I liked Sandstorm's hero, Alex Koves, and would definitely look for the next in the series. Who knows, if this keep ...more
Nancy McFarlane
Mar 16, 2013 Nancy McFarlane rated it really liked it
An Ex–CIA agent, current CIA agents, an Israeli spy, a Mossad agent, a US Senator, and a US billionaire all seem to be involved in an operation involving Iran’s nuclear capabilities that could kill thousands. The question is who authorized the operation and is it really what it seems to be? The thrilling debut novel is a very believable look at how CIA operations are undertaken and an equally believable look at how easy it might be for special interests to have their own agenda. Non-stop action ...more
Steve Sarrica
Jul 07, 2013 Steve Sarrica rated it it was ok
Shelves: techno-thriller
Alan Lee's debut novel is a fairly standard spy yarn. Too much of the plot resolves too neatly and the motivations of many characters aren't explored fully or are too simple. Several of the characters are indistinguishable from cardboard cut-outs. Well paced but, again, the pieces come together too neatly for our hero and his team. The sequel is set up at the end. I will read Lee's next book, hopefully it builds on the first and delivers a more satisfying read.
Susan
May 27, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
CIA agent and ex-CIA agent go about stopping a plot to give Iran nuclear weapons...sort of.

Spoilers...

Did I miss something, but didn't the weapons scam go off basically exactly the way the people plotting wanted it to? Yes, the senator gets caught, but the good guy just acts in place of the removed bad guy and the Iranians get the weapons. Yes, the weapons plant gets blown up, but that was the what the "bad" guys wanted. The hero stops nothing, accomplishes nothing. I feel duped.
Michael
Aug 29, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
I will admit, i liked the mini chapters....it allows for breaks in between family life etc.
Alan Lee has created some characters that I think I can follow assuming he will pull this group together. Nora and Alex belong together. For a debut novel, this one is a keeper. You will not be disappointed in the action or the outcome. This was a Good Read!
Amy
Jun 23, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Excellent debut novel! I can't believe this is the author's first book as he has blown away more experienced authors this year! For fans of David Baldacci and those who write government/CIA type suspense/thriller. Looking forward to the next book in what will hopefully be a series with these characters!
Jody
May 27, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it
A very good debut novel. Overall a pretty good plot with an international conspiracy involving Israel, a US senator and a couple of billionaires. Good pacing that makes this a pretty quick read. The only problem I had was I kept expecting some twist or surprise. There wasn't any. Important plot details are just spelled out by characters so the reader knows the basic story pretty early on.
Wendy
Jul 24, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
I am admittedly not much of a reader; and usually prefer romance novels when I do read; however, I found this to be a great read. I didn't want to put it down; and I still wanted more when it was done. Good story about murder, espionage, friendship, love, involving Washington DC, the CIA, and nuclear weapons.
Jim
Jun 15, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jim by: Amazon
I have enjoyed reading this novel. This is the first novel by this author and I hope that he continues to write more and I am sure that he will have a follow up to this novel with some of the same characters. I will read his next novel.
Ann Wright
Jun 04, 2013 Ann Wright rated it it was amazing
A fast paced, action packed novel that is truly a page turner. An amazingly well written debut novel by Mr. Alan Lee that will leave you in anticipation of the next book in what I hope will be a series. This book is truly for the fan of the conspiracy and action novel.
Ruby
Sep 14, 2014 Ruby rated it liked it
Anna
Jun 29, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
The book jacket promised a female lead who was ruthless and highly skilled. But as soon as she appeared, she was one dimensional and stereotypically girly, crying as she asked for help from her ex lover. Poorly written, unless you're 12.
Stephanie
Apr 16, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel. I loved the character development and the fast pace. Having spent a little time in DC, the depiction of government agency life is also very accurate. I can't wait to see what Alex, Duncan, Nora and Sam are up to next!
Michelle Hardigan
Good suspense

This book was a great read. I really liked the main characters and thought they were developed well. There were plenty elements of surprise and it was hard to put down.
Hellread
Aug 01, 2014 Hellread rated it it was ok
Very straight-froward, forgettable, exaggerated action with a very small twist. Stuff happens in this book, also sandstorm. It's not bad, it's just not any better than everyone else, so it's just average.
Kelli Lee
May 20, 2013 Kelli Lee rated it it was amazing
Please tell me this is a series and not a standalone, because I desperately need more of sexy Mossad agent Nathan and ex-CIA agent Alex in my life. Anyhow, more thoughts coming soon, hopefully, maybe....
Tom Niziolek
Jan 12, 2015 Tom Niziolek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed and hard to stop reading it. Welcome to the espionage thriller, Mr. Lee, I look forward to reading your next book.
Tony Foster
Sep 12, 2013 Tony Foster rated it it was amazing
Alan Lee nails it with his debut novel, Sandstorm. It has all the essential elements of an excellent thriller and then some. A must read.
Ruth
Aug 13, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
This book was written by local morning newscaster on channel 2 Allen Lee. I enjoyed it. If you like stories about the CIA and spies you would like it.
Joe Flabeets
Feb 26, 2014 Joe Flabeets rated it really liked it
great 1st book by the local Fox anchor. I am looking to reading more from Alan Lee
good character development and the plot moves at a good pace
Ginger Bacon
Ginger Bacon rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Dawn Meintel
Dawn Meintel rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)
  • The Jubilee Plot (Sherlock Holmes & Young Winston #2)
  • Touching Evil (Leila Marx, #1)
  • The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sunset (John Bekker, #1)
  • Terror Red
  • Warning Order (Search and Destroy, #2)
  • Bloodstain (Jason Strong, Detective #2)
  • The Wanderers of the Water Realm
  • Catspaw II (Blackheart, #2)
  • Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)
  • Dead Blow
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • The Navigator
  • The Detective's Muse: A Niall O'Huiginn Mystery
  • Mightier than the Sword (The Henry Bride Thrillers, #1)
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • Mysteries of the Diogenes Club
Former Morning News Anchor for Fox in Detroit.
Purdue University grad
Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AlanLLeeAuth...
More about Alan L. Lee...