Start by marking “Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)” as Want to Read:
Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)

Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans #3)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  815 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
An undead serial killer comes for DJ in this thrilling third installment of Suzanne Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans series

The mer feud has been settled, but life in South Louisiana still has more twists and turns than the muddy Mississippi.

New Orleanians are under attack from a copycat killer mimicking the crimes of a 1918 serial murderer known as the Axeman of New Orl
Published August 13th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Elysian Fields, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elysian Fields

Mara
Aug 14, 2013 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
When I realized Tor had accepted my request for Elysian Fields, I feared I was hallucinating.

Sentinels of New Orleans is a series that grabbed me since the beginning, and I have to thank Forbidden Planet in London for it. You can guess I was more than happy to be granted a copy. :)

The book is strongly linked with the previous one and you'll probably need to get the first two in series if you want to enjoy it fully, to understand the reasons behind some of the characters' choices or behaviour.

Th
Olga Godim
Apr 12, 2015 Olga Godim rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
In this book, DJ Jaco, the young magic sentinel of New Orleans, faces the most harrowing challenges. An undead serial killer is on the loose in her city, and he seems to be targeting her. And then there are troubles with the elves. Aren’t there always troubles with the elves? They’re sly and treacherous, they don’t approve of her, and they show their disdain in the most graphic ways. Plus she might be turning into a raving shapeshifter the next full moon, if the killer doesn’t get to her first. ...more
Beth
Jul 13, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
This was my first introduction to DJ Jaco and I discovered a few wonderful things. First, Elysian Fields absolutely did stand on its own. Although I did go back and purchase the first two books in this series it was only because I wanted more. I was able to follow the story and there was no "catch up" to understand what has happened in a previous book in this seris. Second, DJ Jaco could give Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake a run for her money, less the man harem, though there is a few awesome ...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Originally reviewed on Romancing the Dark Side:

Loved every page. Elysian Fields solidified my love for Suzanne Johnson’s writing!

The geeky, blonde wizard and her entourage are back for more thrills and adventure in this third installment of the Sentinels of New Orleans series! DJ is just starting to pick of the pieces of hurricane Katrina, losing her family and her near death experience with the mer folk of New Orleans when a new threat enters her life. A resurrected serial killer known as the
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
I loved returning to NOLA in the well-written 3rd installment of the Sentinels of New Orleans series by Suzanne Johnson.

Johnson takes DJ and the gang through the streets of NOLA trying to solve the case of the serial killer, the Axeman. At first it looks like a copy cat serial killer since the real Axeman has been dead since the early 1900s. But if the undead pirate, Jean Lafitte can cross over from the Beyond into NOLA why can’t the Axeman?

So far in the series we’ve seen wizards, undead pirates
Linda
If you enjoy highly original, entertaining paranormal urban-fantasies with a vast array of quirky characters and light romance, this series is an hangover-inducing must-read.

The scariest sound in New Orleans’ French Quarter is silence....

ELYSIAN FIELDS by Suzanne Johnson is an action-packed, fast-paced, addictive page-turner! It's the third book in Suzanne's Sentinels of New Orleans series. I confess to not reading this series in order as ELYSIAN FIELDS served as my introduction to Suzanne John
Jeffrey
Elysian Fields is another sure fire hit in Suzanne Johnson's "Sentinels of New Orleans" supernatural urban fantasy series.

Like the Patricia Briggs "Mercy Thompson" series and Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series, Johnson builds on what we have learned about DJ, her half elven green witch with untold magical potential by having her face off against different supernatural bad guys in each novel. Comparisons to early Mercy Thompson or Dresden File books are very apt. Filled with werewolves, vampir
Bart
May 28, 2015 Bart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
8 out of 10 > 4 stars. Really good.

I especially love the concept of the historical undead. And how great it must be to be able to summon Louis Armstrong :D
Tasha Turner
Thoroughly enjoyable. World building continues to be interesting. Characters are still relatable. We learn more about elves. Enjoy getting to know more about New Orleans post-Katrina. The love triangle (square?) is not doing much for me but is typical of the genre. I look forward to more books by this author.

For a really good review check out https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Review curtesy of netgalley and publisher in exchange for honest review.
Elisa
Sep 10, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
I really love this series, DJ is growing and changing and finding out new things about herself. The action is crazy and non-stop, more pretes are showing up, more politics are pushing things around and Jean Lafitte is still awesome. If you like urban fantasy with a little bit of romance, not a lot, and New Orleans, you really need to pick these up. You never know who to trust or what the true agenda is and it is a heck of a lot of fun.
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
3.5 stars. Mostly b/c this book had absolutely nothing to do with Elysian Fields. Nada.
Judy  at Musings and Ramblings
I quite liked the first two books in this series, Royal Street & River Road, though apparently I only remembered the broadest strokes of their plots, luckily the recaps were simply and efficiently done only where really necessary. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since Hurricane Katrina, the event that launched the series. In the book it's been a little over 3 years and the city is still in the rebuilding and readjusting to a new normal phase.

While reading this book, I was remin
Paris
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Elysian Fields was exactly what I expected it to be and more. I knew I would get entertaining characters, interesting world building and an action packed dilemma that would keep DJ and Alex constantly on the go. I was definitely not disappointed by any of those elements in this story. And to top it off, I got an amazingly creepy, horror type case that DJ was completely wrapped up in. The Axeman was a totally awesome bad guy and I loved every creepy minute of him. The myst
Stacy
Aug 14, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Our favorite New Orleans characters are back in Book 3 ELYSIAN FIELDS. I am always amazed at the world building that goes into these books. There has been something in each installment that has made me put the book down and Google away trying to find out more information. In ELYSIAN FIELDS that ended up being Six Flags New Orleans. Once Suzanne started describing it in the book I had to learn more and she was totally spot on with descriptions. I thoroughly enjoy how she brings the area into her ...more
DJ finds herself up against her most challenging enemy yet when an axe murderer starts claiming victims all over New Orleans. This isn't just any old murderer though, it's one of the historical undead and he's back to carry on the killing spree he started nearly 100 years ago. As if that wasn't bad enough it looks like DJ is his next target. Can she figure out who is behind his sudden reappearance and why they have sent him after her? She doesn't just have a killer to catch though, she also has ...more
S.M. Blooding
Aug 27, 2013 S.M. Blooding rated it it was amazing
First of all, I just have to say that I’m pretty sure my brain is completely fried. As in all caps. No holds barred. Fried. This week has been TOUGH! I read book 2 the last time it was on tour! Man! What a fun, fun book! I was swept away from the start.

So when I say that I had absolutely no issue following this book, I want you to understand that I say this knowing I had…oh, maybe half a brain cell left to comprehend this book. LOL! I love how Ms. Johnson is capable of writing in such a way that
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

Elysian Fields is the third novel in the Sentinels of New Orleans series by Suzanne Johnson. As a series recap, Drusilla (DJ as she prefers to be called) Jaco is the Wizard Sentinel for the Greater New Orleans area and is responsible for investigating and keeping track of preternaturals in her area and stepping when needed along with her partner Alex Warin (Shape-shifter) and cousin Jack Warin (Loup-Garou werewolf).

Her party of friends includes the
Billie Jo
Jul 26, 2013 Billie Jo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of paranormal fiction
Recommended to Billie Jo by: Netgalley
*I received a review copy of this book from Suzanne Johnson via Netgalley in return for an honest review. This was my first time reading a book by this author, and it was "Amazing". This was the third book in this series and I felt as if i hadn't missed a thing by not reading the first two books. I love when an author can take you from one book to the next seamlessly. Terrific plot and well developed characters, a must read in my opinion. I also loved the author's take on New Orleans, very descr ...more
Debrac2014
Mar 28, 2015 Debrac2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it! DJ, a wizard, has elven blood and can do elven magic. The elves aren't happy! Adrian,as usual,is annoying and betrays DJ! Rand turns out to be an elf and DJ bonds with him to save herself. Good read!
Ann Ellis
Apr 24, 2015 Ann Ellis rated it really liked it
"Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans Book 3)"
By Suzanne Johnson
4.5 FANGS

I am an independent reviewer for 'Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock'. I received this book from the author and from 'Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock'. This is my honest review.

"Elysian Fields" is a continuation of the "Sentinels of New Orleans" series by Suzanne Johnson.
The story of the Sentinels starts where the last book left off. The world in and around New Orlenas has become very complex and so has t
Amanda
Aug 25, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
ELYSIAN FIELDS BY SUZANNE JOHNSON
THE BLURB
New Orleans is under attack from a copycat who is mimicking the crimes of a serial killer who terrorized the streets almost a century earlier.
Drusilla Jaco could happily live without the advances of the 200-year-old undead pirate Jean Lafitte, but through him DJ learns the terrible truth: this is no copycat - someone has resurrected the original Axeman of New Orleans. And to make matters worse, the attacks aren't random at all. He's after her.
So there
Liz Barnsley
Aug 14, 2014 Liz Barnsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbridgr-books
The first thing to say is that when I requested this book I did not realise that it was part of an ongoing series (pay attention Liz!) but I decided to dive in anyway and it did not really matter at all although there are quite strong links to the previous two so I would recommend reading those first (Royal Street followed by River Road) – I am, for sure, going to purchase and read those as soon as possible.

Highly entertaining this one – definitely some of the best Urban Fantasy I’ve read for a
Alisha Tarran
As soon as I started to read this book, and got a few pages in, I immediately regretted the decision to request this book and ya know...read it. "WHY!?" I hear you cry? Because as I got a few pages in, I immediately loved the characters and the world, I didn't want to leave it, and I clocked the agonizingly long wait, nearly a year, until the next book in the series.

In case you haven't worked it out yet, I haven't read the first two books, and I chose to request this one solely on the strength
Jenny
Jul 15, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, bookbridgr
Note: I received this copy of Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson for free through BookBridgr. The opinions and thoughts I share in this review are my own.

Elysian Fields is the third book in the Sentinels of New Orleans series, preceded by Royal Street (#1) and River Road (#2). It is classed by Headline as a Fiction/Urban Fantasy mix. I couldn’t quite work out if this was aimed at a teen or adult audience however, but I think it could easily be enjoyed by both.

Before reading this book I will fully
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 09, 2014 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Magic, Murder, and Mystery are the keys to this novel and make the journey one you will not soon forget.

Opening Sentence: The scariest sound in New Orleans’ French Quarter is silence.

The Review:

Trying out new authors and series can sometimes be like looking for a new car. You have to visit dealership after dealership and test drive a whole lot of less than perfect cars. Sometimes in your pursuit of your perfect car you may glance at a vehicl
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)

At A Glance
The best in the series so far. Perfect amount of action, mystery, and romance for a true urban fantasy.

The Good
This series is getting better and better. I was skeptical with the first book, Royal Street, which I liked but I wasn't head over heels. Then River Road was better but still not quite as exciting as I expected. But Elysian Fields blew me away in a lot of ways. It had all the right elements to keep my interest and make me crave more.

I
Bambi Unbridled
This third installment of the Sentinels of New Orleans series picks up 3 weeks after River Road left off... much more acceptable than the 3 year time span that we had between Royal Street and River Road. This book is more about political drama than the previous two pieces, which surrounded natural disasters. Johnson's plot, character development, and world-building between New Orleans and Old Orleans continues to dazzle me. I can't believe I only discovered these books - I am definitely sharing ...more
Nikki
Aug 15, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok
Although I would normally hate jumping into a series in the middle, this doesn't seem to be a bad point to do so. There's a fair amount of exposition to get you settled in the world and up to date with the events of DJ's life. It slides along pretty fast, and got me hooked because I really, really wanted to know what happened regarding a certain event in the first few chapters.

What drove me slightly nuts was working out who DJ was will-they-won't-they romancing with, and which of them had the be
Martina
Dec 28, 2014 Martina rated it really liked it
4 1/2

If Drusilla Jaco thought life as a sentinel wizard for the greater New Orleans region with elfin lineage couldn’t get any crazier, she is in for a rude awakening. Let’s just say DJ leaps out of the frying pan into the fire. In this installment, rash decisions will cause unintended consequences; relationships developed and tested, and political subterfuge creates a miasma of complication propelling the reader along with it. To top that off, a historically undead homicidal serial killer from
Jean
Sep 28, 2013 Jean rated it liked it
There was a lot going on in this one. I think maybe the love square (or maybe now it's a love pentagon) finally got to me. I'm not usually a fan of love triangles, and the amount of potential suitors in this one really exhausts me. I don't think this book was less in terms of quality as compared to the first two. If you liked the first two books, then you'll like this one. I'm just not sure I'll continue with this series if the focus continues to be on D.J.'s many suitors.
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • The Thing About Weres (Mystwalker, #2)
  • Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3)
  • A Cursed Embrace (Weird Girls, #2)
  • Dead Man's Deal (The Asylum Tales, #2)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Bitter Disenchantment (Coveted, #0.4)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corine Solomon, #3.5)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Iron Night (Generation V, #2)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Nightwalker (Stormwalker, #4)
  • Hellhound (Deadtown, #5)
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
Author of the Sentinels of New Orleans urban fantasy series, set in post-Katrina New Orleans. Coming November 8, 2016: BELLE CHASSE, book five; following ROYAL STREET, RIVER ROAD, ELYSIAN FIELDS, and PIRATE'S ALLEY. A novella and story collection, PIRATESHIP DOWN, was released in November 2015.

Writing as Susannah Sandlin, she is the author of the award-winning Penton Legacy paranormal romance seri
More about Suzanne Johnson...

Sentinels of New Orleans (5 books)
  • Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Pirate's Alley (Sentinels of New Orleans, #4)
  • Dark Secrets: A Paranormal Noir Anthology

“Keeping up with him would require running, and there is no dignity in running after any man for any reason, injured or not.” 3 likes
“We'd all mourn for a while, but at the end of the day we were a tough lot, and we'd survive.” 2 likes