Start by marking “Long Way to Texas: Three Novels by Elmer Kelton” as Want to Read:
Long Way to Texas: Three Novels by Elmer Kelton

Long Way to Texas: Three Novels by Elmer Kelton

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In Joe Pepper, the title character, while awaiting a hangman’s noose, tells the story of how he discovered a propensity for violence while seeking revenge. The irony is that Joe’s keen sense of justice puts him on he wrong side of the law.

Long Way to Texas, taking place just after the Civil War battle of Glorieta Pass in New Mexico, is the story of Lt. David Buckalew, whos
Published May 28th 2013 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Long Way to Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Way to Texas

Robin
Nov 26, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.All three stories kept my interest to the end.I like the author's writing style. It is sad I have discovered him after her has died.The book would be loved by Western fans,Historical fiction fans and Texas Fans
Natalie Bright
Apr 17, 2013 Natalie Bright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of Kelton classic westerns. Flawed characters with internal conflicts, action, true old west settings.
Julie Sparks
Jan 22, 2016 Julie Sparks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really three short novels in one book. I loved Joe Pepper. The vernacular is Elmer Kelton at his best. Such a great story and a lovable character.

The second is Long Way to Texas. It was good. My least favorite of the three, but still good from a historical perspective.

The last one is Eyes of the Hawk. Now that was a good story. Suspenseful. And once again full of history. Google any of the story lines of Elmer Kelton and you'll find they are base in truth.
Carol Cotter
Oct 30, 2015 Carol Cotter marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Brad Lyerla
There is something comforting about the cliche and cornball of a western. Elmer Kelton is a master of both. In LONG WAY TO TEXAS, a young confederate cavalry officer operating in New Mexico must win the respect of his men who regard him as wet behind the ears. To complicate things, he has a famous father and the burden of being the son of a great man weighs heavily.

It all works out satisfactorily as you would predict. I am not recommending LONG WAY TO TEXAS for everyone, but if you are a fan of
Mike
Oct 29, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I made a mistake. The edition of this book which I read only contains one novel, The Long Way to Texas.

It's a fine western, well written by a master of the genre, Elmer Kelton.

Highly recommended.
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Chris Bunnell
Chris Bunnell rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Bill Payne
Bill Payne rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Roy Howell
Roy Howell marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
PK
PK rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Margaret Steeves
Margaret Steeves rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Lindsey Farrell
Lindsey Farrell marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Don
Don added it
Aug 29, 2015
Karen Arrowood
Karen Arrowood marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jean Buddin
Jean Buddin rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Sullivan Del
Sullivan Del rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
J.L. Day
J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
J.L. Day
J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elmer Kelton (1926-2009) was award-winning author of more than forty novels, including The Time It Never Rained, Other Men’s Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and ...more
More about Elmer Kelton...