Gridlock

Gridlock

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Two Iranian agents hand over one million dollars to a Russian engineer for a thumbdrive. The drive contains a deadly computer virus that could shut down all electrical power in theUnited Statesat a keystroke.

In rural North Dakota, a lineman is electrocuted,andthe local cop sent to investigate is shot to death.As rolling electrical blackouts begin to shut down major US citi...more
Published July 9th 2013 by Forge Books (first published July 2nd 2013)

Ed
Accepting the premise that the objective of a "thriller" is to entertain and tangentially, to educate, "Gridlock", an enhanced sequel to 2012's "Blowout", is entertaining, educational and more. The complex issues in the plot revolve around an energy war fought against the US by Venezuela and Iran using a secret Russian computer program as a delivery system to destroy the American energy grid, sending the US into darkness and chaos. The main character is a small town sheriff in North Dakota who a...more
Lou
A good, moving books about two foreign agents who hand over a thumb drive with a computer program/virus which would wreak havoc with the US electric grid. The Two agents are from Iran's VEVAK intelligence service. The man given the drive is a Russian Spetnaz agent. This agent then turns the thumb drive over to a hacker in the Netherlands.
After that, a power problem develops and the local power company sends a lineman out to investigate. The lineman discovers that the cause of the outage seems to...more
John
May 23, 2014 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: paper
With a few major exceptions (detailed below), this was a fast read that had its good points and bad points. It may have been a sequel (there are a ton of references to a previous attack) but this isn't listed anywhere in the book. Overall it's hard to recommend for the reasons below.

Sometimes the author(s) slip into "we" mode when talking about the US, breaking the voice of the book and making it seem preachy and jingoistic at the same time.

A lot of standoffs (particularly between Nate and Marak...more
Matt
I like the plot and the characters. The storyline, depicting a massive terrorist attack, is probable.

What I do not find credible is local sheriff, Nate Osborne, comes sweeping in to save the day, while federal agencies, piss and moan, as though they are impotent. Maybe a good storyline in fantasizes, and fairy tales. Both writers, I am sure, knows the difference. Maybe, the truth is too much strong to stomach, so the story is watered down. And the all lived happily together. Amen.
Mike Gabor
This book is set in rural North dakota. A joint Iranian and Venezuelan effort to cripple the electric power grid of the United States is underway. A local power lineman is electrocuted while trying to fix a sabatoged power line. The local sheriff and a couple just passing by are also murdered. The sheriff from the nearby county, Nate Osborne, suspects that this is not some random event and begins to investigate. he is helped by a local newspaper woman, Ashley Borden.

The premise of the book, atte...more
Lurch
3.5 stars. There were a couple of "cringe-worthy" parts of the book that made me shake my head in disbelief, but the book did serve the purpose that I'd bought it for - to occupy my mind while I was forced to kill too many hours in a hospital with a family member. You could do a lot worse.
Beth Mainord
It was okay...not great. Lots of "ooh, this could happen - we'd better watch out" kind of stuff. Yeah, we know it could happen and if it does there's nothing we can do about it. I like to read about what people might do if something like this actually does occur. Ordinary people in extraordinary situations are things I like to read about. This was just another action/adventure novel without the flair of Clive Cussler or Brad Thor.
Mike
Good book. Gives an insight on some of the issues with our power grid. Could have been edited better. Good read just for the insight and for those that read a lot of spy novels.
Jonathan Bacon
Obviously part of a series (I missed the first book) but it stands well on its own. Intriguing, disconcerting and action packed. A good choice for light reading with a message.
Amy
These vaguely remind me of something, a couple of phrases are familiar, but I can't place them.

The Stand!
Phil
Great idea...clunky writing...not sure I will finish. Tom Clancy or Dan Brown does this kind of stuff better
Judith
Fast pace thriller. Gives one thought as to if this could be a scenario that could happen to the U.S.
Ryan Hillis
Good thriller about Iran shutting down the whole U.S. Electrical grid. A small town sheriff saves the day!!
Meakin
Moves right along easy-to-follow fun to read.
Mari John
Fast paced read about Energy terrorism.
Ernest Radley
Good Book anyone would like
PWRL
Dec 11, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Hilary
Hilary added it
Jun 22, 2014
Moni
Moni added it
Jun 14, 2014
Sandy Jay
Sandy Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
May 31, 2014
Jack Jackson
Jack Jackson marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Vivian McAdams
Vivian McAdams marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Jayesh Shah
Jayesh Shah marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Take This Job and Ship It: How Corporate Greed and Brain-Dead Politics Are Selling Out America Blowout Reckless!: How Debt, Deregulation, and Dark Money Nearly Bankrupted America (And How We Can Fix It!) Reckless!: How Debt, Deregulation and Dark Money Nearly Bankrupted America Electric Transmission Infrastructure and Investment Needs: Hearing Before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, U.S. Senate