Start by marking “Sing” as Want to Read:
Sing

Sing

"Sing! Sing a song. Sing out loud, sing out strong."

So begins a song first made popular on Sesame Street, then interpreted by singers of every style, from Gloria Estefan to the Dixie Chicks to R.E.M., as well as famous personalities such as Conan O'Brien, Katie Couric, Nathan Lane, and Liam Neeson.

Now, bestselling children's book illustrator Tom Lichtenheld has put a visua
Published May 28th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published August 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sing

Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossDrum Dream Girl by Margarita EngleThe Man with the Violin by Kathy StinsonThe Beatles Were Fab by Kathleen KrullBen's Trumpet by Rachel Isadora
Picture Books About the Art of Music
60th out of 124 books — 18 voters
I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
211th out of 320 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Saba N  Taylor
Dec 19, 2014 Saba N Taylor rated it it was amazing
Sing is the perfect book to encourage young readers to find their own voice. It starts off with a nest full of birds singing together, but as each one leaves the nest, they carry with them Their song until finally a little bird is left all alone and not able to sing. Try as it might, the little bird just can't find her voice. A boy comes along and sits under her tree and sings his little heart out. It is amazing what a little encouragement will do for a young soul. The lyrics are quite popular, ...more
Steph Sinclair
I probably read this in less than 2 minutes, but I LOVED IT SO MUCH. It’s super cute and even comes with a CD so I can relive my Sesame Street childhood whenever I want. I’m also pretty sure I enjoyed this more than my kids. I ain’t even bothered.
Jocelin
Jun 13, 2013 Jocelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Another gem from illustrator extraordinaire Tom Lichtenheld. This is an illustrated version of the song "Sing ( Sing A Song)". The little bird is so sweet. It's a great story about finding your voice and following your own path. Great story.
Mary Louise
This song will always, always bring me back to my beloved Sesame Street. A lovely book and picture story paired along with the original lyrics.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 23, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, songs
A delightfully illustrated interpretation of the beloved Sesame Street song. Includes a CD.
Inge
Jan 01, 2013 Inge rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books, arcs
A definite future storytime sing-along option.
Linda
Aug 25, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Wordless to begin as three baby birds begin testing their singing ability. Musical notes float into the air and the first two birds take off in flight as they utter song. The third bird sits silent and discouraged. It sits alone until a boy with a guitar sits beneath the bird in the nest. His musical notes from his songs float up and around this little bird until the bird can utter the notes that give it flight.

This book is based on Joe Raposo's song, "Sing" from "Sesame Street", sung by The Car
Nick
Jul 02, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
I very rarely give a book five stars, but this one deserved that rating, and also deserves consideration for the Caldecott Medal. It is a great example of telling a story primarily in pictures, but ones which enhance an actual text.
Another book that I recently read pointed out that songs were the poetry of our age. Thus, I had to include poetry in the shelves for this book, a gorgeous adaptation of the lyrics of Joe Raposo's song.
Oddly, the liner notes for the book ignore the two hit versions of
Aeicha
Joe Raposo's beloved song is brought to life with Tom Lichtenheld's colorful and eye-catching pictures in Sing. This well-known and well-loved song, first made famous on Sesame Street, is a sweet and addicting tune sure to put a smile on anyone's face.

In Sing the song's lyrics are reproduced within the pages and accompanied by bright, beautiful illustrations of birds and a cute guitar playing fella. These illustrations, that I love, will enchant readers of all ages.

I believe a CD is included whe
Alice
Nov 16, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simply lovely...lovely and simple = a treasure of a children's song-cum- picture book.

The text of Joe Raposo's well-known, beloved children's song, Sing, originally written for a Sesame Street episode and translated into thirty-five languages, comes to life in this sweetly illustrated picture book by Tom Lichtenheld.

A CD of the song, as well as the original English and Spanish lyrics, are included in the back of the book.

I'm going to begin including this as part of my family storytimes along
Robyn Jones
Jul 29, 2013 Robyn Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, childrens
Three little birds sit in their nest. One sings and flies off. Another follows suit. The last bird tries to sing with all its heart until finally quitting. Right at that moment, a boy with a guitar takes a seat under the bird and sings a song my family has known for years. If you're a Sesame Street fan, this is a great book to rekindle those years of singing along to great songs with great messages. We've added this book to our nightly singing/tuck-in routine (and my 4 yr old actually sings ...more
Kaylie
Feb 19, 2015 Kaylie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
This book was so stinking adorable, I absolutely loved it!! and even though it didn't start out with any words it sure did have emotion. I felt really bad for the poor little birdie that couldn't sing with the other birds but the fact that she was able to in the end from the help of the boy singing made it all the better and happier. I also really loved the bright and simple yet gorgeous pictures and artwork on each page. It was a joy to be able to read this and it definitely brightened my day ...more
Barbara
While a bird struggles to fly from its nest, a guitarist beneath the branch where its nest rests strums his guitar and sings the beloved song "Sing!" The ink, watercolor, pastel and colored pencil illustrations filled with notes show the power of encouragement and believing in yourself. Fans of this uplifting song will adore the back matter that includes a note from the lyricist's son. It's almost possible to hear all the "Awww"s from readers who will surely listen to the accompanying CD as they ...more
Kifflie
Jul 29, 2013 Kifflie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm just young enough to remember this song from Sesame Street; however, I did not realize that "Sing" was actually written for the show (and not for The Carpenters, whose version I also remember quite well!).

Like the song itself, this picture book is simple but powerful in its message about finding your own voice and not being afraid to share it. It's accompanied by a CD that includes a recording of the song as well as two other Joe Raposo compositions.

This is a real treat -- nostalgia for thos
Barbara
Jun 30, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Anyone familiar with Joe Raposo's music will appreciate the illustrations to on of his most beloved songs heard around the world on the television show Sesame Street. A baby bird struggles to sing as well as his siblings and after some wonderful encouragement by a little boy strumming and singing the bird finally discovers the way to produce some lovely sounds of his own. A CD with 3 of Raposo's songs is included and back matter contains a reproduction of the original lyrics and more information ...more
Samantha
Jul 25, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
In this illustrated version of the beloved Sesame Street song a little bird find its voice.

Ink, watercolor, pastels, and colored pencils were used to render the illustrations.

CD is included and lyrics appear in both English and Spanish following the story. A note about the relevance of the song and some of the inspiration for the lyrics is written by the author's son and appears on a page of handwritten lyrics and chords.

This is a great read aloud for family audiences. It's sure to be a timele
Susan
Feb 27, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I ordered this book from the library to kick off my new year with my kindergarteners! it was a great precedent to a sing a long. Your students will learn that all voices are needed for the class to sound wonderful! Even my timid students were happy to "Sing!" The beautiful illustrations and peacefulness of this story were a welcome addition to the first week of school! One I hope to add to my own collection someday,
Natalie
Feb 21, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This book was darling! It is mostly told in pictures with the lyrics to Joe Raposo's "Sing" as the text. The pictures are beautiful. It shows that one person's actions can brighten someone else's day. The little bird realize's that his song is good enough. He doubts his own worth at first, and at the end of the book he sings it loud and confidently with al the other birds. It is simple and an easy read for kids.
April Poulter
Aug 09, 2016 April Poulter rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This book does not really tell a story using words. Rather, the story is told through the pictures and the words of the book are the words of the song, "Sing, Sing a Song." I really liked how the author and illustrator incorporated the song into the story. It is cute and cheerful! The illustrations in this book are darling! They are cheerful and fun and fit the tone of the song perfectly. If you want to brighten your day, this is a good book to read!
Shelli
Jun 25, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a creative idea for a book! Sing is best enjoyed when accompanied with the included audio CD that plays a sweet song that encourages everyone to use their gift of singing (no matter how beautiful that gift may or may not be) to cheer up your day and maybe even the day of those around you.

If I still worked at a school I would be using this song for "morning sing" or in the primary grade classroom for a class anthem.
Karen
Mar 15, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week because he saw music on the cover.

It has been a very looooooong time since I heard this song on Sesame Street, and yet when I opened the book, I remembered the tune and the words. So I sang it for my son. I miss the old Sesame Street.

This illustrations are absolutely perfect for this song.
Ashley
This was such a cute and heartwarming book! I had learned this song as a kid and it became the song that bolstered me up whenever life was difficult. As I read this book it brought back so many fun memories of my childhood. This will definitely be on my bookshelf in the future for my children to enjoy. I loved how the artist showed the little bird finding his voice by the end.
Danielle
Feb 24, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I love the story of a little bird who doesn't think he has a song worthy of being heard, and later discovers that he does have a song and everyone has their own special song and it is beautiful. Great story.
Mary
This was one of my favorite children's books from 2013. The text is older, but they have been rejuvenated by the beautiful illustrations in this book. My favorite part is that the song shared in the book is written both in English and in Spanish at the end of the story. Gorgeous!
Amanda Eastmond
Feb 19, 2015 Amanda Eastmond rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I like this book because of the message to love yourself and to be happy. The illustrations were adorable and I like the way it portrays the song. I am also biased towards this book because my mom used to sing me this song when I was little and so I thought of her as I read (sang) this book.
Jen
Jul 26, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
includes cd with three songs. sparse pictures, something for a child to read on their own. children could help tell the story just by looking at the pictures. includes Spanish version of song on last page.
Megan
Apr 12, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at the Scholastic Book Fair because I know I can use this (with the free download) as a great filler at the end of a music lesson with my kindergarten and first grade classes--maybe even second grade. The illustrations are very sweet and I've always loved this song.
Susan Tuttle
Feb 21, 2015 Susan Tuttle rated it it was amazing
I thought the illustrations in this book were just perfect. I love that the little bird didn't think he could sing, but someone elses love of music inspired him to find his voice. This is a great story to read to children, to let them know that everyone can sing and find joy in it.
Angie  Moore
Mar 23, 2016 Angie Moore rated it it was amazing
Saw this today at my son's book fair and immediately made me think of the song from Sesame Street when I was little. The illustrations of the little bird learning how to sing are beautiful! And guess what? The words are the Sesame Street song! :) can't wait To share with my kiddos! ❤️
Jill
Jan 09, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Super cute book about how a boy gives a bird his song and ability to fly with this simple, sweet song by Joe Raposo. An added bonus to talk about with kids--do they think the boy knows what he did?

On shortlist of nominations for CLEL Bell "sing" award.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Backstory 1 4 May 30, 2013 07:34AM
  • Tito Puente, Mambo King/Tito Puente, Rey del Mambo
  • Ah Ha!
  • The Museum
  • When Stravinsky Met Nijinsky: Two Artists, Their Ballet, and One Extraordinary Riot
  • Maria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita