Start by marking “Billy Moon: A Transcendent Novel Reimagining the Life of Christopher Robin Milne” as Want to Read:

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Billy Moon was Christopher Robin Milne, the son of A. A. Milne, the world-famous author of Winnie the Pooh and other beloved children’s classics. Billy’s life was no fairy-tale, though. Being the son of a famous author meant being ignored and even mistreated by famous parents; he had to make his own way in the world, define himself, and reconcile his self-image with the im ...more
Published August 27th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Billy Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billy Moon

switterbug (Betsey)
If you are looking for a book of "faction"(a novel based on the biography of someone) on Christopher Robin Milne, the son of Winnie-the-Pooh creator A.A. Milne, this is not the book. Although some facts of Christopher Robin's real life are woven in here (and some turned upside down), it is not frequently germane to this surreal labyrinth, a unique story of identity, dreams, and time. It isn't just "Who am I?" but, more, "Who am I", relative to a personal and social world in flux, and a life tryi ...more
Freda mans
I liked this book from the moment I saw it.A beautiful cover with a synopsis to draw me in.
I was let down though.
As I read, I often got frustrated. The book would go from being written with grace and elegance to becoming completely baffling, and back again. For me, this happened too much. It almost felt like it was each chapter or vignette. I'd be reading, get pulled in and BAM! Completely confused.
And I'm not crazy.
I read a part to the hubby. As I read, I could visibly see him getting lured int
Jim
Billy Moon is the kind of book that one simply doesn't expect. As Library Journal wrote in its starred review of it, "Lain's first novel combines two unlikely scenarios to create a tapestry of life in the lat 1960s, when Europe, as well as America, experienced the fervor of youth."

It's not just about that, of course. It's a magic realist novel about the son of A.A. Milne as he tries, in middle age, to deal with the strangeness of being not just a won, a husband and a father, but also that most s
Kate Padilla
I really enjoyed the story, especially given the protagonist, Christopher Robin Milne. Bits of the magic realism, however, were a little confusing. I didn't know how they related to the book as a whole.
Joye
Combining the real Christopher Robin with the student protests against the French government in 1968 in Paris was a clever premise, but it got to be disjointed and boring.
Virginia
Gerrard wanted to exist in "The House at Pooh Corner". Billy Moon was Christopher Robin. One lived it; the other understood it. Reality is a dream. Somehow this leads to a comparison of the 1968 Paris revolt to Pooh's search for the North Pole. It helps to keep in mind both Gerrard and Christopher are schizophrenic.
Before I got totally confused I looked up an account of Christopher Milne's time in Paris. This is what I found: the story is totally concocted, right down to his wife and child.
Lynette Aspey

I was very pleased to receive a pre-release copy of Douglas Lain's new book for review. The following is an excerpt of a longer review available on my blog: http://sleepingdragon.info/2013/revie...

Due out from Tor Books in August this year, Douglas Lain's "Billy Moon" is a strange, meandering mash-up of Philip K. Dick, magic realism, philosophy and history. It is at once confusing, intriguing and informative, and a vehicle with which Douglas Lain occupies your mind with his obsessive -- yet surr
Paul
I have noticed that, with the best novels, I recognize parts of myself in the characters. I’m drawn in and held fast, feeling my fate is tied up somehow in the book, that how the characters behave will make a difference in how I live my life. Billy Moon pulled me in that way, and left me wondering what is my next move.

Reality was slowly falling apart. Christopher found that he could no longer rely on his habitual life, all the routines, to maintain the world of appearances. Gerrard, never sure w
Sandie
Billy Moon follows the life of a grown-up Christopher Robin Milne, better known as the little boy in the Winnie the Pooh books. While his father made him famous with the books, as Christopher grew to an adult, he found himself disconnected from life and the expectations others had of him. They didn't see him as he was in reality; they saw the little boy from the books and expected him to be the same. When he was a small child, he called himself Billy Moon. As a man, he was married and ran a book ...more
Kaela
The story was confusing, partly due to my lack of French history, and the rest because I still don't understand the connection between the French history and Winnie the Pooh. The story was jumbled and dream like, I think? Am i missing something? I usually can find my place in a story but I struggled through this.
Papalodge

Unique and well written - just not for me.
The characters are well presented and warrant the reader's empathy.
Humor in the situations.
I chose not to finish this book.
Francisco Florimon
Billy Moon is Christopher Robin Milne, a man struggling to be real, for he lives in the shadow of a colossal specter, the shadow of Winnie the Pooh.

He grew up an became a man. He fought in World War 2. He's known love and and he's known horror. He's known friendship and disillusionment, and through it all he's struggled to make a life for himself, despite intrusions from a dreamtime he never made. His father, the author of Winnie the Pooh, played a dirty trick on him, rendered him forever partia
Lisa
Darn, I really thought I would like this fictional story of Christopher Robin's life. Let down though -- I just couldn't follow the story line. 100 pages in, and the two story lines still had nothing at all to do with each other. I couldn't find a way to care about the other story line that did not have to do with Christopher Robin. I suppose they do end up meeting at some point, but with 7 more books on my nightstand, I'm just not invested enough to find out. I gave it two stars because I reall ...more
Dufus
Brilliantly-conceived novel that imagines how the real Christopher Robin comes to embrace the mythic figure created by A.A. Milne. Douglas Lain crisscrosses the landscape between fiction and reality, and one is never truly sure in which time one resides until the very end. Kudos to Lain for a highly imaginative, quiet yet thought-provoking and philosophical read.
Michelle
What a strange little novel this is.

Christopher Robin Milne is all grown up and runs a book store, but weird, dreamlike things keep happening to him. There's also boy in France who possibly has mental problems. The two come together during the student uprisings of the late 1960s and crazy shit happens.

It's hard to describe.
Kariss
Will have to come back... it is all a bit muddy
Nicole
I less finished this book and more stopped reading. I didn't "get" what this book was about and was about halfway through it. I never stop reading books and don't finish them, but this one was just not for me. More power to those folks who love it and understand it.
Amanda
Picked this up because of a favorable review in Library Journal. I should have paid more attention to the use of the word "transcendent" in the subtitle-- this just wasn't for me.
Beth Bernier Pratt
Beautifully written, but I don't really know if I got it. Or maybe I got some of it, but there is more to get, and it remains in my subconscious mind, unfolding a bit at a time.
Michael
did not really finish but cant seem to get it off my currently reading. It just did not engage me.
Beverly
Way too surreal for me. The "derailing" became too difficult to follow...were we dreaming...were we imagining...is it really happening ??? An interesting concept to be sure.
Mary Drayer
Anne
Knowing my own proclivities, I should have put the book down when the acknowledgements noted a debt to Althusser.
Beth Chandler
Well written, low-key and quirky, but not at all compelling. I stopped reading around the third chapter.
Andrew
a wonderful book that I'll have in my library until you ask to borrow and keep for yourself.
Amanda Colquitt
Couldn't finish the book. It was so weird & senseless!
Tree
Very unique and appealing story and writing style.
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Tracey
Tracey added it
Feb 28, 2015
Anca  Ciochina
Anca Ciochina marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • In Hovering Flight
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • Three Princes
  • Children of Fire (The Chaos Born, #1)
  • The Lost Prince (Guardians of Aandor, #2)
  • Jukebox Queen Of Malta: A Novel
  • Grail of the Summer Stars (Aetherial Tales, #3)
  • The Omega Project
  • Quick Fix (In a Fix, #2)
  • Thieves' Quarry (Thieftaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Quintessence
  • The Disappearance Boy: A Novel
  • The World of the End
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Breath of Iron (Clockwork Agents, #3)
  • The Whispering Swarm (Sanctuary of the White Friars, #1)
  • Wisp of a Thing: A Novel of the Tufa
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
Last Week's Apocalypse Wave of Mutilation Fall Into Time Pick Your Battle: Your Guide to Urban Foraging, Hollywood Movies, Late Capitalism, and the Communist Alternative (a Memoir) Billy Moon