Start by marking “Gift of the Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Gift of the Phoenix

Gift of the Phoenix

A captivating debut that promises to delight general readers and fantasy fans alike. Magic, adventure, mystery, romance... Gift of the Phoenix does not disappoint.

A prince is murdered.

An island sinks into the sea.

A thousand-year-old ritual foretells great evil.

A nation’s fate rests in the hands of three strangers, thrust together by their common destiny to protect the Phoe
Published September 19th 2012 by Penrose House Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Gift of the Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gift of the Phoenix

Donna Cook
Oct 05, 2012 Donna Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well I think it's fabulous, but I wrote it so there you go.
Will Wortner
Dec 22, 2013 Will Wortner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, epic
Check out my Interview with Donna Cook
Interview with Donna Cook

The short:

This book belongs in the “epic” genre. Gift of the Phoenix is an exhilarating read. Fans of Eragon and The Lord of the Rings will want to add Gift of the Phoenix to their bookshelves. Donna Cook writes an epic fantasy with an extensively layered story line.

I was amazed at the intricacy on the intertwined plots. It was very hard to predict the course of events from start to finish. Gift of the Phoenix surprised me at every t
Ayesha
Apr 11, 2014 Ayesha rated it really liked it
For Gift of the Phoenix-Blog Tour and Giveaway!!
go to my blog:
desirablereads.blogspot.com
My review:
Gift of the phoenix is an excellent book written by Donna Crook. It is a story about three brothers that were separated at birth so that they can grow up unharmed. These three brothers, the Wizard, the Prince and the Framer are destined to save the Pheonix that blesses their world with magic. They each have a stone that will help them on this strenuous journey.
I loved the characters, the story lin
Donna Cook
Apr 03, 2015 Donna Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is for the new cover of Gift of the Phoenix. This updated look includes mention of some of the awards the book has won, including the North American Book Award 1st Place Fantasy 2014, and the Kindle Book Review Book of the Year Award Semifinalist Fantasy 2013. The award count is up to seven now.
Shay (The Story Goes...)
Apr 13, 2014 Shay (The Story Goes...) rated it really liked it
What to say? I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's not quite what I thought it was going to be, I don't know why but I was thinking more like modern times and I don't know but either way it's pretty freakin awesome.

Dislikes -
-My main dislike is that it is nearly 600 pages long. The thing is it's broken into 3 parts and each part consists of basically a full book in it's own right, so that you feel like you are reading 3 books rather than 1. I honestly think it would have been better to be separ
Dawn
May 26, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

Gift of the Phoenix is an epic fantasy about three strangers who must band together to save their world. Although this novel is very long, it’s worth it. So much happens it’s like three books in one.

Donna Cook’s writing is easy to follow even though some of her ideas are rather complex. This book has unexpected twists, lots of action and magic, and a little romance.

The characters are well developed and interesting. My favorite of the Thre
Stephanie Dagg
Jan 04, 2013 Stephanie Dagg rated it it was amazing
The Gift of the Phoenix by Donna Cook is an increcibly impressive book that grips you from the very start, where we meet Nashua who is taking part in the ceremony to receive the gift of the phoenix. However, it goes terribly wrong but Nashua manages to salvage something from the ashes. It’s not until twelve hundred years later that she is able to pass on these items to three men, strangers to begin with, whose job it now becomes to protect the phoenix and their land from great evil. There is ple ...more
Lauren
Sep 19, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
This is by a local author! She signed my copy when I bought it at the farmer's market! :)
I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book, but I LOVED it! It was so good! I never got bored with it and the writing was wonderful!
I'd recommend this book to my friends. In fact, I already lent it to one friend and she loved it too!
Thank you for signing my copy Donna! I hope you write more! I'll be sure to read all your books! :)
Librarian Judith
Jan 30, 2015 Librarian Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This epic fantasy is, quite simply, awesome. Beginning hundreds of years before, at the rebirth of the Phoenix, a gift is left-- actually, more than one gift. And, these gifts will prove to be the salvation of the world--if the right group of people can be found to receive it.

Ms. Cook has done a great job at creating not only the world but each individual character is richly drawn. Each voice is clearly distinct from the other, and the secondary characters are just as well drawn as the primaries
Amy
Jul 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It reminded me of orson scott card but with a more developed plotline. I didn't mind the size of the book at all, just made the journey last that much longer. I was a little worried that the ending would feel rushed, but was surprised at being left feeling satisfied and excited for the sequel.
Maggie Thom
Feb 26, 2014 Maggie Thom rated it it was amazing
Gift of the Phoenix is so good, I don’t know where to even start. It’s excellent. It’s one of those books that you read that you don’t want to end because it’s so good but then you can’t wait to find out where it’s going to go, so can’t wait to finish it. This novel puts you on an intricately woven path as you meet many characters but who’s good and who isn’t? The story, the characters, the setting, all of it is so well written, so vivid – could see the characters, I knew the characters, I felt ...more
Rae Ann Norell
Aug 30, 2013 Rae Ann Norell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
Excellent book that holds your attention throughout. ADventure, mystery, intrigue. This book is sure to capture the interest of all readers who enjoy the fantasy genre.
Eric
Feb 19, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book during the fall at a comic convention in Portland, OR after being intrigued by the summary. The author was kind enough to sign it. It took me about 4 months to get to it, but I'm happy I did. It's a great starting novel. The characters felt a little thin at times, but I understood where the author was going and why she chose to move the story forward instead of being overly descriptive. I loved the premise of the world and the execution of the plot.

Summary:
A trio of seemin
Brenden Heywood
Could have had so much potential! The plot lacked suspense and the situations the characters were put in were way to easy to get out of.
Kelly
Jan 15, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

I've read my fair share of Young Adult/Sci Fi/Fantasy novels. Compared to others this book is top notch in its plotline and detail. Overall, it was a very enjoyable book!
Severgreen8
Jul 21, 2014 Severgreen8 rated it it was amazing
great book keep writing :)
Alyce Chalmers
Oct 19, 2012 Alyce Chalmers rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickinson wrote:

"There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry."

Donna Cook grabs you by the scruff of you neck, plants
you on your steed, and tears away. Hang on and enjoy
the ride! It is a trip well worth taking.

I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful romp by a new author,
and highly recommend it. It is a quick read and well crafted.

I will read it again and look forward to more of her work.
Heidi Early
May 11, 2013 Heidi Early rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marianne Early
What a wonderful read! I'm normally not a reader of the fantasy genre, but really enjoyed this novel and the way the story was crafted. Donna Cook does such a beautiful job of illustrating her story through written word. I felt completely engaged with the setting and characters. The way she interwove the characters' back stories is intriguing and creates some interesting conflict throughout. I'm looking forward to reading the prequels and sequels!
Kim Foster
Dec 11, 2013 Kim Foster rated it it was amazing
This author does an amazing job of interweaving the plot and characters in a beautiful way. I was immediately captivated by the story and had a hard time putting it down. In fact, it was quite a struggle to get enough sleep because I couldn't set it down! I look forward to reading more from Donna Cook. If you’re looking for a book to get lost in, you won’t be disappointed.
Michelle
Mar 28, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Fictional book club selection
Shelves: fantasy, book-club
I just could not get into this book. It took a long time to set up the plot, which was rather predictable. I know this is fantasy, but some things were just so far-fetched that the story just didn't work for me.

And after reading 500 pages, I was really hoping the ending would be more exciting. It was actually very anticlimactic.
Reatta Abraham
Jan 12, 2015 Reatta Abraham rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't have any issues with the length of the book and was really pulled into the plot. I bought this book and met the author at Fantasy Con in Salt Lake and was at first worried it would be cheesy, but I was proven wrong. Extremely good book!
Lizzy Ro
Sep 11, 2016 Lizzy Ro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I thought this book was well written. I love the book and I am so glad my mom got it signed by the author. Before my mom gave it to me for Christmas I never even new of the book let alone the author.
Elyse
Oct 21, 2012 Elyse rated it really liked it
The characters are likeable and interesting, but the best part of the book is the story. It's original and surprising and easy to get lost into!
Unknown-life
Feb 27, 2013 Unknown-life rated it it was amazing
This book i found hard to get in to at first but once i got in to the first few chapters i found it a fantastic read.
Karlene Browning
Feb 08, 2013 Karlene Browning rated it liked it
Great concept. Starts strong. I got a little lost in parts but overall a good fantasy. 3.5 stars.
Jetta
Jan 25, 2015 Jetta rated it really liked it
It was well written and a good story with surprises.
Maraya21
Maraya21 marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Aridawn
Aridawn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Shelby Lovell
Shelby Lovell marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
  • The Emerald Tablet (Legends of Amun Ra, #1)
  • Dragon Empire
  • Blood Divided (Soul Born Saga, #2)
  • The Evelyn Project
  • To Breathe the Breath of Isis
  • Falls the Shadow (The Chronicles of Midgard #1)
  • Sword of Marathon
  • Maven's Fractured Fairy Tales
  • The Last Witch (Incenaga, #1)
  • The Protectors: A Blue History Novel
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • The Innocent and the Condemned (The Sirens of Rhine, #1)
  • Rise of the Shadow Stealers (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • A Balance Broken (Dragonsoul Saga, #1)
  • The Caldarian Conflict
  • Shadows in the Stone (The Castle Keepers, #1)
  • The Amulet  (The Amulet Prophecy, #1)
  • Wish The Awakening
After graduating college in 1995 with a strong literary background and a creative writing degree, Donna Cook discovered fantasy in 2002 when the popularity of the Harry Potter books was too much for her to ignore. She fell in love with the whimsy and adventure of the genre. Her award-winning debut, Gift of the Phoenix, released in 2012. A related novella, Nashua's Choice released in April 2013. He ...more
More about Donna Cook...