Start by marking “Gift of the Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Gift of the Phoenix

Gift of the Phoenix

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A captivating debut that promises to delight general readers and fantasy fans alike. Magic, adventure, mystery, romance... Gift of the Phoenix does not disappoint.

A prince is murdered.

An island sinks into the sea.

A thousand-year-old ritual foretells great evil.

A nation’s fate rests in the hands of three strangers, thrust together by their common destiny to protect the Phoe
Published September 19th 2012 by Penrose House Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Gift of the Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gift of the Phoenix

Donna Cook
Oct 05, 2012 Donna Cook rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well I think it's fabulous, but I wrote it so there you go.
Will Wortner
Check out my Interview with Donna Cook
Interview with Donna Cook

The short:

This book belongs in the “epic” genre. Gift of the Phoenix is an exhilarating read. Fans of Eragon and The Lord of the Rings will want to add Gift of the Phoenix to their bookshelves. Donna Cook writes an epic fantasy with an extensively layered story line.

I was amazed at the intricacy on the intertwined plots. It was very hard to predict the course of events from start to finish. Gift of the Phoenix surprised me at every t
Ayesha
For Gift of the Phoenix-Blog Tour and Giveaway!!
go to my blog:
desirablereads.blogspot.com
My review:
Gift of the phoenix is an excellent book written by Donna Crook. It is a story about three brothers that were separated at birth so that they can grow up unharmed. These three brothers, the Wizard, the Prince and the Framer are destined to save the Pheonix that blesses their world with magic. They each have a stone that will help them on this strenuous journey.
I loved the characters, the story lin
Shay (The Story Goes...)
What to say? I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's not quite what I thought it was going to be, I don't know why but I was thinking more like modern times and I don't know but either way it's pretty freakin awesome.

Dislikes -
-My main dislike is that it is nearly 600 pages long. The thing is it's broken into 3 parts and each part consists of basically a full book in it's own right, so that you feel like you are reading 3 books rather than 1. I honestly think it would have been better to be separ
Dawn
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

Gift of the Phoenix is an epic fantasy about three strangers who must band together to save their world. Although this novel is very long, it’s worth it. So much happens it’s like three books in one.

Donna Cook’s writing is easy to follow even though some of her ideas are rather complex. This book has unexpected twists, lots of action and magic, and a little romance.

The characters are well developed and interesting. My favorite of the Thre
Stephanie Dagg
The Gift of the Phoenix by Donna Cook is an increcibly impressive book that grips you from the very start, where we meet Nashua who is taking part in the ceremony to receive the gift of the phoenix. However, it goes terribly wrong but Nashua manages to salvage something from the ashes. It’s not until twelve hundred years later that she is able to pass on these items to three men, strangers to begin with, whose job it now becomes to protect the phoenix and their land from great evil. There is ple ...more
Donna Cook
Apr 03, 2015 Donna Cook rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is for the new cover of Gift of the Phoenix. This updated look includes mention of some of the awards the book has won, including the North American Book Award 1st Place Fantasy 2014, and the Kindle Book Review Book of the Year Award Semifinalist Fantasy 2013. The award count is up to seven now.
Lauren
This is by a local author! She signed my copy when I bought it at the farmer's market! :)
I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book, but I LOVED it! It was so good! I never got bored with it and the writing was wonderful!
I'd recommend this book to my friends. In fact, I already lent it to one friend and she loved it too!
Thank you for signing my copy Donna! I hope you write more! I'll be sure to read all your books! :)
Librarian Judith
This epic fantasy is, quite simply, awesome. Beginning hundreds of years before, at the rebirth of the Phoenix, a gift is left-- actually, more than one gift. And, these gifts will prove to be the salvation of the world--if the right group of people can be found to receive it.

Ms. Cook has done a great job at creating not only the world but each individual character is richly drawn. Each voice is clearly distinct from the other, and the secondary characters are just as well drawn as the primaries
Amy
I loved this book. It reminded me of orson scott card but with a more developed plotline. I didn't mind the size of the book at all, just made the journey last that much longer. I was a little worried that the ending would feel rushed, but was surprised at being left feeling satisfied and excited for the sequel.
Maggie Thom
Gift of the Phoenix is so good, I don’t know where to even start. It’s excellent. It’s one of those books that you read that you don’t want to end because it’s so good but then you can’t wait to find out where it’s going to go, so can’t wait to finish it. This novel puts you on an intricately woven path as you meet many characters but who’s good and who isn’t? The story, the characters, the setting, all of it is so well written, so vivid – could see the characters, I knew the characters, I felt ...more
Rae Ann Norell
Excellent book that holds your attention throughout. ADventure, mystery, intrigue. This book is sure to capture the interest of all readers who enjoy the fantasy genre.
Brenden Heywood
Could have had so much potential! The plot lacked suspense and the situations the characters were put in were way to easy to get out of.
Kelly
Well written

I've read my fair share of Young Adult/Sci Fi/Fantasy novels. Compared to others this book is top notch in its plotline and detail. Overall, it was a very enjoyable book!
Severgreen8
great book keep writing :)
Alyce Chalmers
Emily Dickinson wrote:

"There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry."

Donna Cook grabs you by the scruff of you neck, plants
you on your steed, and tears away. Hang on and enjoy
the ride! It is a trip well worth taking.

I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful romp by a new author,
and highly recommend it. It is a quick read and well crafted.

I will read it again and look forward to more of her work.
Heidi Early
May 11, 2013 Heidi Early rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marianne Early
What a wonderful read! I'm normally not a reader of the fantasy genre, but really enjoyed this novel and the way the story was crafted. Donna Cook does such a beautiful job of illustrating her story through written word. I felt completely engaged with the setting and characters. The way she interwove the characters' back stories is intriguing and creates some interesting conflict throughout. I'm looking forward to reading the prequels and sequels!
Kim Foster
This author does an amazing job of interweaving the plot and characters in a beautiful way. I was immediately captivated by the story and had a hard time putting it down. In fact, it was quite a struggle to get enough sleep because I couldn't set it down! I look forward to reading more from Donna Cook. If you’re looking for a book to get lost in, you won’t be disappointed.
Michelle
Mar 28, 2015 Michelle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Fictional book club selection
Shelves: fantasy, book-club
I just could not get into this book. It took a long time to set up the plot, which was rather predictable. I know this is fantasy, but some things were just so far-fetched that the story just didn't work for me.

And after reading 500 pages, I was really hoping the ending would be more exciting. It was actually very anticlimactic.
Reatta Abraham
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't have any issues with the length of the book and was really pulled into the plot. I bought this book and met the author at Fantasy Con in Salt Lake and was at first worried it would be cheesy, but I was proven wrong. Extremely good book!
Elyse
The characters are likeable and interesting, but the best part of the book is the story. It's original and surprising and easy to get lost into!
Unknown-life
This book i found hard to get in to at first but once i got in to the first few chapters i found it a fantastic read.
Karlene Browning
Great concept. Starts strong. I got a little lost in parts but overall a good fantasy. 3.5 stars.
Jetta
It was well written and a good story with surprises.
Annalies
Annalies marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Katrina Uy
Katrina Uy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
  • Sword of Marathon
  • The Emerald Tablet (Legends of Amun Ra, #1)
  • Blood Divided (Soul Born Saga, #2)
  • Dragon Empire
  • Doors to Eternity (Temple of the Traveler, #1)
  • Maven's Fractured Fairy Tales
  • The Evelyn Project
  • The Last Witch (Incenaga, #1)
  • To Breathe the Breath of Isis
  • Deeds of the Ariane: The First Three Novellas in One Volume
  • Rise of the Shadow Stealers: The Firebird Chronicles
  • Atlantis: Fall of the Gods
  • The Caldarian Conflict
  • A Dawn of Dragonfire (Dragonlore, #1)
  • Falls The Shadow (The Chronicles of Midgard, #1)
  • Wish The Awakening
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • First of Her Kind ~ A Darkness & Light Novel
After graduating college in 1995 with a strong literary background and a creative writing degree, award-winning author Donna Cook discovered fantasy in 2002 when the popularity of the Harry Potter books was too much for her to ignore. She fell in love with the whimsy and adventure of the genre and began working on Gift of the Phoenix shortly thereafter. Some traumatic events in her personal life p ...more
More about Donna Cook...
Nashua's Choice (Nashua Chronicles #1)