Start by marking “John, George, and Me: My Unlikely Friendship with JFK Jr. at America's Hottest Magazine” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published July 1st 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about John, George, and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John, George, and Me

Susan Breslow
First off, in case anyone is confused, this book is by MATT Berman, George Magazine's art director -- not by MICHAEL Berman, who was JFK Jr's business partner at the magazine. I plowed through nearly a quarter of the book before I realized which Berman had written it. That said, it's an affectionate remembrance of the former President's son who died tragically when the private plane he was piloting disappeared in the dark night.

Prior to joining George, Matt Berman had worked at Elle. Swept into
Suzanne
JFK Jr, George and Me is a thoroughly enjoyable recounting of the author's experience working as the Creative Director of George Magazine. But there is more depth to it than the title implies. This is the story of a young man's journey, from a boyhood traumatized by an accident resulting in substantial facial scars, into the world of art, beauty and design. Obviously naturally gifted, Matt Berman's desk doodling evolved to weekly art classes and his recounting of those childhood years spent with ...more
Nicole
Jun 20, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Quick, easy read. Everything Ive read about JFK Jr says what a nice guy he was...this book basically reaffirms this fact. A great guy taken too soon, the story told by someone who really liked & respected him. It was interesting to read about the cover shoots & some of the history of the magazine too.
Penny McGill
Aug 22, 2014 Penny McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was inevitable that I'd read this book, no doubt at all, but it wasn't inevitable that I'd like it. I have been super critical lately and I was fully prepared to dislike this guy. I was fully prepared to come away thinking the author was trading on his chance meeting/working with JFK Jr. and that was not at all what this book was about. He definitely was aware that his working relationship/friendship was fortunate and freely admitted it but the book was more about working at the magazine and ...more
Jackie
Aug 03, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun, quick and sentimental read. It was really about JFK Jr. last of the three topics, which was good because I could tell that the author and John Kennedy Jr. mostly knew each other from work settings. The author comes off as snobby, but he is a great storyteller who genuinely cares about demonstrating that his buddy was a real person.

The final thoughts on JFK Jr. made me cry with emotion and leave the book store to let the closing thoughts sink in. The final thoughts made me care more
Oct 11, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-royalty
It's hard for me to write a review because Berman did what he called people out on in the last few pages - capitalized on his friendship and the death of JFK Jr.

The Kennedys have always fascinated me. Though I was only in my early teens at the time he was being called the sexiest man alive, JFK Jr was the man I wanted to marry, my celebrity crush. I remember being devastated when he died, and hoped for so long that they'd all be found alive.

I really wanted to like this book, but it felt forced a
Debra Pawlak
Jun 05, 2015 Debra Pawlak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful book. As Creative Director of JFK, Jr.'s George Magazine, Matt Berman had the most wonderful opportunity. He not only was responsible for the magazine's iconic covers (think Barbara Streisand as Betsy Ross), but he had the unique chance to know and work with John F. Kennedy, Jr. Berman introduced us to a young man who grew up in the world spotlight, but was really unaffected by all the hoopla. JFK, Jr. was a great people person who genuinely liked most everyo ...more
Hannah
Jul 05, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who wants to know about the great wonderful kind person that John F Kennedy Jr and his lovely wife Carolyn was should read this book. The book is written by the former creative director of John's debut magazine George, Matt Berman. He worked for five years with John developing and creating each issue of the magazine that is 'not politics as usual'. The author shares great stories and past memories and by the end you will have felt you worked in the offices of George.

Even today so many yea
Stacy
Aug 16, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is short - not a lot to it at 200 pages. Written by Matt Berman, Creative Director of George magazine and friend to John. I loved George magazine, read it while I was in college. I think it mostly went over my head and I so wish it were around today - it really was a great idea and ahead of its time. Matt and John worked closely together and became good friends. This is a fun look into the magazine, the people who ran it, and John and his wife Carolyn. There seemed to be a happy couple ...more
Jillian
Dec 29, 2014 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An inside look at the working relationship between JFK, Jr. and his creative director at George magazine. JFK, Jr. is a kind, generous, funny and remarkably down to earth person. Obviously the book is bittersweet as his life and that of his wife, Carolyn and her sister Lauren's are tragically cut short as they fly in his plane to Martha's Vineyard. Learning more about John, Jr. as well as finding out which celebrities were difficult to work with (ahem, Barbra Streisand) and which were a pleasure ...more
Esther
Jul 28, 2014 Esther rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another trashy pick up from the library. The parts about working with the celebrities for the George cover shoots was really interesting - the Barbaras Streisand and Walters are ridiculous and well as you'd imagine in their high maintenance bubbles. But the rest of the book is little more than tittle tattle about JFK Jr, such is the fascination I guess still generates. So we get office ancedotes which are not terribly interesting. Erm, John gets a haircut. John cracks a joke.
Cassie
Nov 17, 2014 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is more about the author and his transformation from being insecure and lacking confidence to building his career as one of the go-to guys in publishing. His depiction of JFK JR is how I always pictured him in my head, so it's endearing to know that the genuineness that came through every time JFK JR did press or was at an event was truly who he was. John took great care of the people he loved. He knew how to help people shine, and Matt was one of the people he helped flourish. I thin ...more
Nathan
Jul 16, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was one of the initial subscribers to George Magazine. In fact, I think I still have a stack of them in my basement. It was fun learning about the genesis of the magazine from the perspective of an insider. The recap of cover shoot after cover shoot grew a bit tedious, but even most of those had their interesting anecdotes about the celebrities they shot. But what made this book the best was the inside it gave into the life of JFK Jr. It was a touching tribute about how he brought out the best ...more
Paige
Jul 12, 2014 Paige rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book, not as just another book about a famous person, which it is NOT...
our library categorized on the spine as "Biography Kennedy"...the author, Matt Berman, gets short-changed here...it is right in the subtitle: "My Unlikely Friendship with JFK Jr"...this memoir is about him, and his professional and personal relationship with JFK Jr, as well as others he (Berman) worked with in his early career in publishing, then during the years on the magazine, "George"
Teresa
Jul 29, 2014 Teresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Library book. Read in 3 hours. Hated it. Hated the author. He's egocentric, self-aggrandizing and incredibly insecure at the same time...tries way too hard to show/prove he's cool. But really, he's only just brushed the coat tails of interesting people, which doesn't make him interesting too.
He told me way too much about himself and nothing terribly "new" about JFK Jr. It had moments that might be interesting to people curious about magazine publishing, but sadly nothing was able to outweigh my
Eileen
Jul 13, 2014 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read an excerpt in Vanity Fair and liked it enough to read the book. I was a JFK Jr fan and had a subscription to George. Matt Berman gives his perspective from inside the magazine world (before the rise of the internet)and recounts some great stories from the making of George and all the celebrity cover photo shoots. Along the way he includes stories about JFK Jr, without exploiting him.

Leigh
Jun 03, 2015 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quintuple memoir of the author, John F. Kennedy Jr., George magazine, the end of an age of magazine publishing, and the 1990s.

Matt Berman was a designer who John F. Kennedy, Jr. adroitly saw the talent in an hired him for his political / entertainment magazine project, in the era where they would fly to LA to photograph Barbra Streisand and work with photographers like Herb Ritts.

John F. Kennedy Jr. sounded like the world's greatest colleague. It was interesting to see him combine th
Melissa
Aug 17, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I find this book incredibly interesting and don't understand some of the harsh reviews. It is not intended to be a comprehensive bio of JFK Jr. It is simply a very small window into one aspect of his life - his venture with George magazine. The author got to know him through their work on George. Unique perspective and not salacious at all. If you are interested in the Kennedys or JFK Jr., definitely worth the read.
Patrice
Sep 02, 2014 Patrice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Matt Berman was the art director of George magazine. According to this account George was his magazine and JFK, Jr. was a dabbler. Makes sense. But who wants to read a book about Matt Berman? JFK, Jr. kind of waltzes in and out of the narrative. It should have been titled "ME, George and JFK,Jr."
Cathy
Aug 17, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, quick read about the author's relationship with JFK Jr. I enjoyed reading about the making of the magazine as well as the background behind some of the covers. Not much new about JFK, yet it was a nice look into his every day life at work and the relationships he shared with his colleagues.
Ruth
Nov 16, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Matt Berman did not need JFK jr. to make his life interesting, and I hope he writes another book about the rest of his life.

Kennedy love is in my blood, and I won’t be ashamed. I don’t mean the watered down generation of Willie Smith Kennedy, though even they fascinate me. Such staying power.

Berman speaks highly of JFK's wife Caroline, unlike William the friend from the Cape who wrote a similar memoir. Berman loves that JFK is such a regular guy. There is also the crazy environment of the
False Millennium
I'm surprised the author held off so long in writing his version of being JFK, Jr.'s friend and co-worker. Not much new was added other than some amusing sections about working with the famous for the cover shoots of the magazine, George. I wonder if it's possible to achieve fame and not become so intertwined in your own self absorption you choke like some smothering snake? Someone should write a tell all about his wife. So far, they've been blessedly silent on the subject.
Betty Bruce
Oct 14, 2014 Betty Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting history of JFK Jr. & his magazine- full of vignettes of the human side of many famous people! Sadly we know how this story ends but the journey was fun to embrace.
Catherine
I like hearing the details of JFK and feeling closer to a person whose life has been so interesting... The author seems a bit sad and unfortunate.
Lynette Milliman
Aug 21, 2014 Lynette Milliman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a huge fan of George magazine so was very pleased to find this book. It was a glimpse into the behind the scenes happenings at a very interesting magazine.
Lisa Neal
Aug 19, 2014 Lisa Neal rated it really liked it
Sweet, honest memories of America's favorite first son by a friend and co-worker. Definitely worth the quick read that it is.
Francie Gillies
I like the subject so it held my interest, however it seemed to be more about the author than JFK Jr.
Rho
Jun 01, 2014 Rho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was OK. Quick read - skimmed a lot to get through the tedious repetitious story. JFK Jr and me-a lot more me.
pati
JFK, Jr is the hook, but I like how this book is really about Matt Berman. I am learning a lot about the magazine world in NYC.
Kristine Mckenna
Oct 02, 2015 Kristine Mckenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and funny stories about the working life at George magazine. Matt Berman, the creative director really admired JFK Jr and his wife Carolyn. It is nice to hear that and not the usual cutting people down to add interest to your book. The monthly magazine shoots featuring different celebrities were described and was entertaining. A little too much name dropping, like a didn't much care where Matt garbed a sandwich or the name of his favorite sweatshirt brand, but overall Matt comes acro ...more
  • The Italian Americans: A History
  • Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman
  • Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Journey of a Thousand Miles: My Story
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • The Roosevelt Women: A Portrait In Five Generations
  • Angry Optimist: The Life and Times of Jon Stewart
  • A Medal for Leroy
  • Julia Child
  • Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat
Since the 1990s, creative director Matt Berman has been collaborating with some of the most influential photographers in fashion and art to create some of the industry’s most enduring imagery in print. In 1995, Matt was hired by JFK Jr. to serve as the creative director of George magazine. He worked side-by-side with John until his death in 1999 to craft his boss’s unique vision for a new kind of ...more
More about Matt Berman...