Start by marking “Dungeon Brain” as Want to Read:
Dungeon Brain

Dungeon Brain

From Bram Stoker Award winning author Benjamin Kane Ethridge.

June Nilman is a woman with thousands of personalities in her head and none of them are her own. Stricken with amnesia and trapped in a room in an abandoned hospital, her caretaker, Nurse Maggie, wants her to remain captive forever. At night June hears creatures patrolling in and out of the hospital, and in time
Published October 30th 2012 by Nightscape Press (first published October 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeon Brain

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienDivergent by Veronica RothThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
Good Fantasy/ Science fiction books
137th out of 585 books — 438 voters
Asylum by Madeleine RouxSanctum by Madeleine RouxThe Scarlets by Madeleine RouxProject 17 by Laurie Faria StolarzThe Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
Haunted Hospitals
35th out of 36 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Carl Alves
Nov 03, 2012 Carl Alves rated it it was amazing
Dungeon Brain is a unique dark, science fiction novel. Exceptionally well written by Benjamin Kane Ethridge, the novel presents an interesting lead character that isn’t just one character but many. June wakes up a captive in a nearly abandoned hospital in a war-torn world that is in many way reminiscent of Europe during World War II. Unfortunately for June, she is not alone at the hospital. She is under the care of Maggie — think Misery Chastain from Stephen King’s Misery. June has no idea who s ...more
Oct 30, 2012 A.E. rated it it was amazing
I’m not known for liking science fiction, with very few exceptions, and I tend not to like what’s commonly termed as “hard SF” which is science fiction that focuses more on the science aspect, the technicalities, etc, as opposed to “soft SF” which has sci-fi elements, but is ultimately a fantasy story, or it’s a drama that just happens to be set in space. Nurse Maggie more than fulfills her role as a memorable villain, one of those people you will truly love to hate, and June, the titular Dungeo ...more
Queenie Thayer-Tirone
Dungeon Brain is a twisted little Sci-fi novel, I'll give it that. I do like twisted. It's a well crafted, devious little tale. But it's not what I would consider horror, and I have to admit, it's not what I would usually read. And because of this, I find writing this review hard. There is darkness in it sure, and some would consider it horror, but sometimes I found a lot of the scenes where there only to produce shock value in the readers. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Sci-fi is probably th
Louise Gorton
Sep 08, 2013 Louise Gorton rated it it was amazing
an absolutely brilliant book, I would recommend it to anyone. I reas it 9 months aho with a view to reread before giving a review but the story was so unique and well written it is still clear in my head as if I read it yesterday.
the characters are well written and likeable, the scenery set perfectly and the story grabs you from beginning to end as you want to find out along with June what is going on, who and where she is.
a must read
Apr 04, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received this book from the author so thank you Ben!
At the beginning of the book I was as confused as the main character June. The way the book is written is fast-paced and it brings you along for the ride. I did lose myself and end up there in the story, which I love. The writing flows well and draws you in.
The only thing I did not like about this book was the end. I wanted it to continue!
Apr 18, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
There were a couple of parts in the this book that were outside my comfort zone, but other than that I really enjoyed the story. This is the second book I've read by Mr. Ethridge and I'm quite impressed with the originality and his style of his writing. Thanks for the good read!
Scatty The Shadow Warrior
Dec 09, 2012 Scatty The Shadow Warrior rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This is the first time I’ve read dark scifi and needless to say I was not prepared. The book was very well written. I loved that the book started off with the reader being as confused as June. She wakes up with no memories of who she is or where she is. As we continue to read we learn along with her what is going on and what happened to June. I kept reading because I was intrigued and wanted to know where this story was going to go. The writing was very well – in my opinion. I could follow along ...more
Rena Mason
Aug 12, 2013 Rena Mason rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of this author's work, and this one in particular, resonated with me. Besides being well written, I think the author went above and beyond to explain the almost unexplainable. I enjoy reading dark science fiction in general but I appreciated the horror slant this story had as well. A woman wakes up not knowing much of anything about her past, with people she's captured in her mind that only make figuring out what happened to her even more confusing. If you like puzzles, this book ...more
Jeff Beesler
Jul 03, 2014 Jeff Beesler rated it it was amazing
Dungeon Brain is an easy-to-read, quick-paced story that doesn't do any overkill in the details department. The antagonist, Nurse Maggie, creeps me out in the wonderful way that all antagonists, villains, and others of this ilk should disturb me. The amnesiac June is believable as a protagonist. The ending surprised me as well in a way that made sense to me. I'll be sure to read more from Mr. Ethridge as he has a firm grim on his storytelling.
Jan 01, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi but I found Dungeon Brain to be very interesting. I like how the story unfolds to both the reader and the amnesiac main character. The writing was excellent and there weren't too many scientific explanations to detract from the flow of the story. It wasn't exactly a horror story (in my opinion) but there was a definite darkness to it.
Kate Jonez
Jan 03, 2014 Kate Jonez rated it it was amazing
Dark and disturbing science fiction. If for a moment you think think you know where this story is going, keep reading. This book is exceptionally original and well written.
Soledad rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Alastair Inglis
Alastair Inglis rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Rey Mart
Rey Mart rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Marianne van de sande
Marianne van de sande rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Tristan rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
Jon R. Meyers
Jon R. Meyers rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Soledad rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Gerda Du
Gerda Du rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Eric Miller
Eric Miller rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Carol Boulton
Carol Boulton rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Travis rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Melissa Dials
Melissa Dials rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Adam rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Brett rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
  • The Last Man on Earth Club
  • Postapoc
  • Meridian
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)
  • The Warm Glow of Happy Homes
  • Kill Whitey
  • Sow
  • HOOKED: A True Faerie Tale
  • Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala
  • Freak
  • Vector Borne
  • Saying Uncle
  • Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle, #1)
  • Coyote's Daughter
  • The Myth of Martyrdom: What Really Drives Suicide Bombers, Rampage Shooters, and Other Self-Destructive Killers
  • The Ravine
  • Nightmare Man
  • Monstrocity
Benjamin Kane Ethridge is the Bram Stoker Award winning author of the occult fantasy novel BLACK & ORANGE. He also wrote a master's thesis entitled, "CAUSES OF UNEASE: The Rhetoric of Horror Fiction and Film." Available in an ivory tower near you. Ben lives in Southern California. When he isn't writing, reading, videogaming, he's figuring out ways to keep from writing.
More about Benjamin Kane Ethridge...