Start by marking “Dungeon Brain” as Want to Read:
Dungeon Brain

Dungeon Brain

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From Bram Stoker Award winning author Benjamin Kane Ethridge.

June Nilman is a woman with thousands of personalities in her head and none of them are her own. Stricken with amnesia and trapped in a room in an abandoned hospital, her caretaker, Nurse Maggie, wants her to remain captive forever. At night June hears creatures patrolling in and out of the hospital, and in time
Published October 30th 2012 by Nightscape Press (first published October 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeon Brain

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Meat Market by James Chalk
Good Fantasy/ Science fiction books
114th out of 455 books — 385 voters
Asylum by Madeleine RouxProject 17 by Laurie Faria StolarzThe Scarlets by Madeleine RouxSanctum by Madeleine RouxThe Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
Haunted Hospitals
31st out of 35 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Carl Alves
Dungeon Brain is a unique dark, science fiction novel. Exceptionally well written by Benjamin Kane Ethridge, the novel presents an interesting lead character that isn’t just one character but many. June wakes up a captive in a nearly abandoned hospital in a war-torn world that is in many way reminiscent of Europe during World War II. Unfortunately for June, she is not alone at the hospital. She is under the care of Maggie — think Misery Chastain from Stephen King’s Misery. June has no idea who s ...more
A.E.
I’m not known for liking science fiction, with very few exceptions, and I tend not to like what’s commonly termed as “hard SF” which is science fiction that focuses more on the science aspect, the technicalities, etc, as opposed to “soft SF” which has sci-fi elements, but is ultimately a fantasy story, or it’s a drama that just happens to be set in space. Nurse Maggie more than fulfills her role as a memorable villain, one of those people you will truly love to hate, and June, the titular Dungeo ...more
Queenie Thayer-Tirone
Dungeon Brain is a twisted little Sci-fi novel, I'll give it that. I do like twisted. It's a well crafted, devious little tale. But it's not what I would consider horror, and I have to admit, it's not what I would usually read. And because of this, I find writing this review hard. There is darkness in it sure, and some would consider it horror, but sometimes I found a lot of the scenes where there only to produce shock value in the readers. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Sci-fi is probably th
Louise Gorton
an absolutely brilliant book, I would recommend it to anyone. I reas it 9 months aho with a view to reread before giving a review but the story was so unique and well written it is still clear in my head as if I read it yesterday.
the characters are well written and likeable, the scenery set perfectly and the story grabs you from beginning to end as you want to find out along with June what is going on, who and where she is.
a must read
Claire Hill
Received this book from the author so thank you Ben!
At the beginning of the book I was as confused as the main character June. The way the book is written is fast-paced and it brings you along for the ride. I did lose myself and end up there in the story, which I love. The writing flows well and draws you in.
The only thing I did not like about this book was the end. I wanted it to continue!
Nicole
There were a couple of parts in the this book that were outside my comfort zone, but other than that I really enjoyed the story. This is the second book I've read by Mr. Ethridge and I'm quite impressed with the originality and his style of his writing. Thanks for the good read!
Scatty The Shadow Warrior
This is the first time I’ve read dark scifi and needless to say I was not prepared. The book was very well written. I loved that the book started off with the reader being as confused as June. She wakes up with no memories of who she is or where she is. As we continue to read we learn along with her what is going on and what happened to June. I kept reading because I was intrigued and wanted to know where this story was going to go. The writing was very well – in my opinion. I could follow along ...more
Rena Mason
I've read a lot of this author's work, and this one in particular, resonated with me. Besides being well written, I think the author went above and beyond to explain the almost unexplainable. I enjoy reading dark science fiction in general but I appreciated the horror slant this story had as well. A woman wakes up not knowing much of anything about her past, with people she's captured in her mind that only make figuring out what happened to her even more confusing. If you like puzzles, this book ...more
Jeff Beesler
Dungeon Brain is an easy-to-read, quick-paced story that doesn't do any overkill in the details department. The antagonist, Nurse Maggie, creeps me out in the wonderful way that all antagonists, villains, and others of this ilk should disturb me. The amnesiac June is believable as a protagonist. The ending surprised me as well in a way that made sense to me. I'll be sure to read more from Mr. Ethridge as he has a firm grim on his storytelling.
Amy
Jan 01, 2013 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi but I found Dungeon Brain to be very interesting. I like how the story unfolds to both the reader and the amnesiac main character. The writing was excellent and there weren't too many scientific explanations to detract from the flow of the story. It wasn't exactly a horror story (in my opinion) but there was a definite darkness to it.
Kate Jonez
Dark and disturbing science fiction. If for a moment you think think you know where this story is going, keep reading. This book is exceptionally original and well written.
Alana W
Alana W marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Diane T.
Diane T. marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jen Light
Jen Light marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Daniil Fedtsov
Daniil Fedtsov marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Lincoln
Lincoln marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Alecia Burrows
Alecia Burrows marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Ella Thomas
Ella Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Saša
Saša marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Christina Tate
Christina Tate marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Rickey
Rickey marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Kristine Beskin
Kristine Beskin marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
  • Postapoc
  • Shattered
  • The Last Man on Earth Club
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)
  • Kill Whitey
  • The Waiting
  • HOOKED: A True Faerie Tale
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • The Wildman
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
Benjamin Kane Ethridge is the Bram Stoker Award winning author of the occult fantasy novel BLACK & ORANGE. He also wrote a master's thesis entitled, "CAUSES OF UNEASE: The Rhetoric of Horror Fiction and Film." Available in an ivory tower near you. Ben lives in Southern California. When he isn't writing, reading, videogaming, he's defending California's rivers and streams from pollution.
More about Benjamin Kane Ethridge...
Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1) Bottled Abyss Nightmare Ballad Nomads (Black & Orange, #2) Divine Scream