Light of the Moon (Legend of the Dreamer, #1)

Light of the Moon (Legend of the Dreamer #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A lyrical and romantic story of true love and dark curses, Light of the Moon is an enchanting read for fans of Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Kami Garcia's and Margaret Stohl's Beautiful Creatures.

One night long ago, a constellation disappeared and fell from the sky in the form of a boy...

Secrets are being kept in the sleepy town of Lakewood Hollow, Colora...more
Paperback, 1st, 372 pages
Published November 6th 2012 by CreateSpace Publishing

The Steward by Christopher  ShieldsThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneFables of the Reconstruction by Hunter S. JonesIn My Dreams by Cameo Renae
Best Unknown but must be Known books
363rd out of 4,027 books — 3,458 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinHaven by Hope CollierWither by Lauren DeStefano
Haunting Covers
161st out of 563 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Helen
This book was amazing. Period.

I felt that David James did a wonderful job blending reality and fantasy within a story that holds both adventure and romance. His writing is beautiful and visceral and kept me turning the pages until the early hours of every morning (and it's unusual for me to stay up so late reading like that because I have small children.)

The first half of the book is where you meet Calum, a seemingly normal teenager with some darkness to his past. You quickly get the impression...more
Rusty Fischer
So, I'd been savoring this book all week, loving the rich language and fascinating, mythical world building but, after 40 or 50 pages I couldn't help myself and finished in a big, quick hurry; I'm glad I did.

There are a lot of easy ways to spoil the story of this book so I won't "summarize" it for you but I have to say that if you love rich, lyrical writing, if you're drawn to fated lovers with unimaginable conflicts, if you want to explore a new world that's been carefully crafted with loving a...more
Kim
Light of the Moon by David James

With most books, I can pull out my kindle and read at piano lessons, dance class, the soccer field, and even while stirring dinner. I can usually comprehend what I am reading while surrounded by distractions. With Light of the Moon by David James, I instantly knew I needed to pay special attention to the words. No distractions. I needed to let the words sink in. Discover the eloquent prose as the words combined. Let them vividly paint the picture of a timeless, ma...more
Rosieposie
J.
I forgot to do a review of this. So here are my thoughts:

* This had some 4 star moments... but some 2 star moments as well. Overall, I guess I would give it a 2.75 because it falls between a 2.5 star and 3 for me.

* What I liked about it:
- Sometimes the prose was great.
- There's some mythology used here which shows that some research was done.

* What I didn't like:
- More often than not, the whole purple prose thing just weighed down the plot. At one point, the word "lament" was used about 10 times...more
Maggie Douglas
Poetic, dark, epic, legendary, and hopeful. This book sucked me into another world, a world of chaos and legends. I'm not going to write any spoilers in this review, but anyone who has followed Harry Potter, Twilight, and anything inbetween, this book should be added to you list to read! I would place this book in my top 5 books read this year, and I look forward to the following works of David James. Thank you so much to my sister for telling me that I had to read this book. She was right. And...more
Rachel
Just finished Light of the Moon and my first thought, is oh my god how can I wait to find out what happens in the next book?! It is hard to believe this is David James' first novel. I am in awe of the world he created within this story. It is refreshing to find a young adult book with such strong characters you can relate to, even in a world filled with magic, power, and violence.

James' words are poetic from beginning to end. Read this immediately, and join me in anticipation over Shadow of the...more
Christina

Beautiful world that David Created in Light of The Moon! Great Characters, well written! I Loved this book!
Lynsey
One of the good things about reading on a kindle is the capability to highlight passages that you love and when I read Light of the Moon by David James, I had NEVER used that feature so much. Ever. Before reading this book. David’s writing style is both lyrical and beautifully poetic, with rich, vivid description and prose that is quite often profound. I found myself stopping in my reading tracks to read a passage out loud, marvel at it and then carry on. Here are some examples:

“The woman’s eyes...more
Rick Chiantaretto
David James has done an incredible job with Light of the Moon. From the very beginning the interaction between Calum and his mother set the stage for characterization that does not disappoint. Not only did I find myself invested in Calum and Kate (the book's main characters), but I found I had a strange affinity for the supporting characters as well, especially Tyler.

There is an entire race of villains, which I'm sure will get expanded on in the next books. Of particular interest was the Bloodle...more
Jeremy
I read The Witch's Curse, Magda's story, first, and really loved it for the lyrical quality of the writing. This novel, too, is filled with amazing description and imagery. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters in the beginning, especially Kate, who always seemed to be angry, cold, and I didn't know why, which kept her at a distance for me. There wasn't a lot of depth to her, in the beginning, just her threatening to kill Calum in "three days." However, about midway through, when...more
Jenny - Book Sojourner
I finished reading this yesterday and I'm still having a difficult time processing my thoughts. But I will tell you that this is a very good thing. I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, but I can tell you that right away I was impressed. The prologue itself completely sucked me in and I knew I was going to have a hard time putting down this book. And that was just the beginning.

This is a story about a boy, Calum Wade, and the beginning of his journey to discovering who...more
Meganm922
Light of the Moon was a vivid story. The writing was descriptive and poetic, with a focus on colors and emotions and sensations. Instead of feeling like I saw a movie in my head, it was more like flashes of short scenes, colors, and images. The plot was interesting and full of twists and magic and I felt like I was thrown into it all and absorbing it piece by piece. I really enjoyed the writing style of the author.

Calum was an interesting character with a haunting past and suffered from strange...more
Shambhawi P.
This ebook was provided to me by the author in exchange of an honest review

...which is getting really difficult to write. Why?

Light of the Moon is one of those books that you are not sure you like or not but seems to worm its way into your thoughts. There are so many things about this book running inside my head that I have no idea where to begin this review.

Let me start by stating the obvious - David James definitely has a way with words. The writing was AMA-Zing! He could make everything soun...more
Paul Decker
***I was provided an ecopy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

David James, the author, was nice enough to provide me a copy of this book. I had already been following him on Twitter and I suggest you do, too. He has a great Twitter account about YA books, writing, and other random interesting things.

Going into reading this book, I didn't know much about what to expect. I read something about a fallen star taking the form of a human, but I didn't know if it was a romance, a sci-f...more
Smash
Courtesy of Smash Attack Reads

Enjoyable and Exciting

I met David James on Twitter and #RumIsland was soon born. It was right before the release of Light of the Moon, and even though I knew nothing about David or his book, I was excited for him. After seeing the cover and reading the synopsis,I decided to read his debut. I'm glad that I did because he has a beautiful, lyrical quality to his writing. It is vivid and intoxicating, andI sometimes felt like I was being rocked to sleep by the pretty words.

Here are some ex...more
Lisseth (Read-a-holicZ)
**Originally on Read-A-holicZ, HERE!**

Since the first time I saw the cover to this book i was fascinated. I wanted to know the whole story and after reading the synopsis i wanted to REALLY see what it was about. I had read another book this year with the same kinda concept of a person falling from the sky (not angel) but a star. So i though, "oh this might be like that" plus i really loved that book...

BUT when I picked up LIGHT OF THE MOON i soon realized this was completely different in a LO...more
Tamra Trent
Light of the Moon by David James was AMAZING! I am not exaggerating when I say that I read this book 3 times and fell inlove with it each time! David James' writing style is beautifully poetic and captivating. As I was reading I could actually see the images in my mind and feel the character's feelings. As I read I became completely mesmerized and absorbed in the book. Each time I read it i felt just as mesmerized, and caught something new in the book.

The story itself is a wonderful mixture of r...more
Rebecca
Light of the Moon is a David James novel that no YA fantasy lover should miss. It has it all: mystery, family, action, friendship, suspense and a bit of romance. It is the first book in The Legend of the Dreamer series.

The story is about the young Calum Wade, a boy who is struggling with his identity and his emotions. He hasn’t had the easiest life. Sometimes strange things happen when he is arround, most of the time when he is angry or upset. Once, the car caught fire, a real cause missing. But...more
Emma Hart
I was drawn in immediately from the first page. David has a refreshing, poetic way of writing that makes you feel the character's emotions. You don't just read the book, you live it.
Yes, it's that good.
I loved Calum. So much, in fact, I've asked David to send me him for Christmas. (Hey, a girl can try, right?) He's not your typical male character. He's very lost in his own world, and David shows this brilliantly with strikethroughs on some of his thoughts - making others stand out more. Calum's...more
Literati_Lit
Nov 05, 2012 Literati_Lit rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Young Adult Fantasy Paranormal
*Before reading please be aware that a few spoilers are mentioned*

“One night long ago, a constellation disappeared and fell from the sky in the form of a boy…

Secrets are being kept in the sleepy town of Lakewood Hollow, Colorado. Nothing but pools of blood and dripping words are left where bodies once were, and no one but Calum Wade seems to be worried. Life unfolds in shades of red for Calum, until a mysterious girl named Kate Black enrolls at his school and everything changes. Suddenly a dange...more
Kimberly
First off, cover! My first thought when I saw the cover was, "Dude, that guy looks like he could be related to David James." Random thought aside, it's an interesting cover. If you would have given me a moon, creepy/cool landscape, plus that guy, I probably would have come up with trash. Whoever created this cover was a genius though. They took those random things and worked them together in a really cool way! Props to whoever created this cover.

Okay. As soon as I was done reading this book, I i...more
Dani Morales
So there’s this new author right, his name is David James and he wrote this amazing book by the name of Light of the Moon. Well let me tell you this book is seriously amazing. I got so pumped up with this book and thought I knew exactly what it was going to be about, boy was I wrong, but in a very good way. I’m still not used to reading books by male authors, were love actually has a while to develop; it’s not the characters meet and instant love. Lol. This book is seriously deep and you have t...more
Keri
Realizing I never did a review of Light of the Moon, (no idea how this happened) I decided to re-read this book to refresh my memory and let future readers know how I felt.

Never have I been more in touch with the way a character feels in a read. Sure, I've read books were I know what they're thinking but this story is highly descriptive on feelings. A real insight into how Calum thinks, feels and how he comes to make choices. He truly develops. It's fascinating to be a part of. Getting the pers...more
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
This fantastical story is about a legend and a prophecy. It's the story about the love child of an angel and the devil, and it's a story about the protector that will save him and the world from doom.

Calum, suffering from recurring nightmares, always felt like an outsider, and never knew why. When groups after groups of people go missing, and after his entire school population is slaughtered, Calum runs to find out who and what he is, what he has always been and how he fits in to a life changing...more
Adam
Brilliant! This story was amazing. When I started the book, I felt like I really had to pay attention. I'm not sure if this was because the writing style was different or the unique font choice.

After a few pages though, I was absorbed into the story. The pacing was perfect. There was the right amount of character development and background. There was enough foreshadowing to keep you interested but not give away the outcome. The love development was slow in a good way, where most YA relationship...more
Priya Kanaparti
The book was good. Really good.

It has a different take to being the son of Lucifer angel. There's a twist at the end I didn't see coming at all!

Having said that my rating normally go like this: a 5-star, I don't want to sleep, eat, drink, OR even take a bathroom break. My 4-star, the book is superb, I really loved it and couldn't put it down. So that's why I gave this book a 4.

I've always been a fan of more Paranormal romance stories and so this was a little bit different read for me. EVEN THE...more
Steven
I don't even know where to begin! This story was so completely different than what I expected. It's a love story, sure, but it's a story about power and family and depth of character and loss and gain and oh so many other things.

Sure, there are supernatural elements, but this isn't your typical supernatural young adult novel. Don't go into it expecting werewolves or angels or anything like that... expect witches and stars and blood curses and mass murder and redemption!

I'm looking forward to rea...more
Christopher
Simply amazing! I've never had a book that made me feel so much emotion until I read Light of the Moon. David James is brilliant, and his words are genius. One of the greatest story tellers, if I do say so myself.
Emilee
this book left me with no words
the story? I love it!! the whole book is.. Wow, i love everything about it , and especially Calum ;)
i cant wait to read more books about this serie! :D
  • The Chronicles of Fire and Ice (The Legend of The Archangel #1)
  • Poison (Legacy, #2)
  • Evren: Enter the Dragonette
  • Viking
  • Moonlight (The Moon Trilogy, #1)
  • Thunderstorm (Daughters of Eden, #1)
  • The Angel's Assassin
  • This Wicked Magic
  • Wicked Fate
  • Imaginable (Intangible, #2)
  • Shift (The Protector, #2)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • The Haunting Season
  • Cursed
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone, #1)
  • A Convenient Bride (School for Brides, #4)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
David James writes books about stars and kisses and curses. He is the author of the YA novel, LIGHT OF THE MOON, the first book in the Legend of the Dreamer duet, as well as the companion novellas, THE WITCH'S CURSE and THE WARRIOR’S CODE. A Legend of the Dreamer anthology, SHADES OF THE STARS, was released July 2013, and includes the exclusive novella, THE ENCHANTER'S FIRE. The final book in the...more
More about David James...
The Witch's Curse (Legend of the Dreamer, #1.1) Shades of the Stars: A Legend of the Dreamer Anthology (Legend of the Dreamer, #1.5) The Warrior's Code (Legend of the Dreamer, #1.2) Shadow of the Sun (Legend of the Dreamer, #2)

“Sometimes being brave just means falling in love.” 8 likes
“And being brave doesn’t always mean you need to fight to win your battles; there are different kinds of strengths. Sometimes bravery comes from letting your heart make choices your mind cannot.” 6 likes