Start by marking “Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results” as Want to Read:
Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results

Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Want to be creative? Then think Inside the Box. The traditional view says that creativity is unstructured and doesn’t follow rules or patterns. That you need to think “outside the box” to be truly original and innovative. That you should start with a problem and then “brainstorm” ideas without restraint until you find a sol ...more
Published June 11th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Box

Nelya
I got this brook through goodreads giveaway. This is one of the more enlightening books I've read in a while. The authors definitely provided a different perspective of creativity that was actually quite eye-opening. Reading this book, I had a lot of "hmm never thought of it that way before" moments. I would highly recommend this book to everyone!
Annette Walker
Improve the way you think when making decisions AND when coming up with new ideas (the innovation part). For me to give a book 5 stars it needs to stick with me and change me in some way. This book does that. The authors provide a nice mix of structure and short examples that help their systematic approach highly relevant.
Thomasin
"Creativity is rarely achieved by wildly divergent thinking... [H]ighly creative solutions to problems often hide in plain sight within an existing product, service, or environment."

Utterly surprising and fantastic! Creativity is proposed as a skill that can be learned by anyone, and that the most creative ideas are generated when starting with a solution then when starting with a problem. Several specific methods are discussed which allows a person "to create a 'form,' then take that form and
Justin
Good concepts presented in an accessible format. While a good primer on the methodology, it seems unlikely that the reader can fully implement the process without additional help from subject matter experts. Not a very practical "how to" guide, but a worthwhile read.
Colleen
I participated in a MOOC on Innovation and Design Thinking and this was the required reading for the course - written by one of the professors, of course.

Because of that, my view of this is a bit skewed. We were to cover the material in the course before reading the chapter. Well, the material was the chapter regurgitated. So everything was very repetitive when I read it in the book. I do like the idea of the different methods of innovation - I think it's a great approach for companies, like min
Paul Ark
This book introduces rather innovative and counter-intuitive methodologies for stimulating innovation that run counter to unstructured, free-form brainstorming and "ideation" techniques that companies and teams often love to employ but that typically produce few results. The first three-quarters of the book is well structured with straight-forward explanations and examples, but the last quarter of the book starts to ramble and the innovation templates seem forced and unfocused (the reason why I ...more
Ninakix
first off, dear lord do these guys hate IDEO. Once I got over their hating on the design process in general (what it sounded like Drew Boyd really wanted was a method that anybody could pick up and generate ideas, something idiot proof that didn't involve really learning a new process?), there's actually some good ideas in here for brainstorming ideas. I'm not a big fan of the whole, brainstorm first, then hope for problems to solve later deal, but it probably works for more establish companies ...more
Steven Bauer
It had some really interesting ideas for creative thinking and I really like the approach, anyone who is interested in being more creative should read this book. However I think the book oversells it's concept and this is just one type of creativity not the totally of it.
Mei
It was refreshing to read a book where the authors provide resourceful information.The author wrote in a simple language where anyone can comprehend. I learned a great deal, and it changed my mindset. I highly recommend this book, it taught me something I will never learn from school.
Michael
This is one to read, and reference. The authors breakdown systems, and techniques for both creating new opportunities, and solving problems. It is interesting, and applicable to real world challenges. @drewboyd #jacobgoldenberg #innovation
Kenneth Grady
interesting counterpoint to all the "outside the box" advice you hear. It does provide a great incentive when you tell people they can only work with those things immediately available to them.
David
Useful creativity method that takes a solution-first approach and works backwards towards a problem. Similar to the Russian method of TRIZ, but far more lightweight.
Richard
Lively and mostly well-written. Expounds the same ideas as TRIZ in a more accessible format.
Paul Magezi
Very credible and insightful material.
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sorkleang
Sorkleang marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Herman Slatman
Herman Slatman marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Mark Stapel
Mark Stapel marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Yetunde
Yetunde marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Ahalya
Ahalya added it
Oct 04, 2014
Türker Baş
Türker Baş marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Elen Bereza
Elen Bereza marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • Productivity: Big Ideas from the Top 10 Books
  • Your Network Is Your Net Worth: Unlock the Hidden Power of Connections for Wealth, Success, and Happiness in the Digital Age
  • ShiftPoints
  • The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • Inspired! How to Be More Original, Insightful and Productive in Your Work
  • The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization
  • Working in the UnOffice: A Guide to Coworking for Indie Workers, Small Businesses, and Nonprofits
  • The Business Romantic: Give Everything, Quantify Nothing, and Create Something Greater Than Yourself
  • Word Up! How to Write Powerful Sentences and Paragraphs (And Everything You Build from Them)
  • The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
  • Live It!: Achieve Success by Living with Purpose
  • Finding the Core of Your Story
  • Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Online (Volume 1)
  • The Editor's Eye: A Practical Guide to Transforming Your Book from Good to Great
  • Reading a Writer's Mind: Exploring Short Fiction - First Thought to Finished Story
  • The Power of Meditation: An Ancient Technique to Access Your Inner Power
Cracking the Ad Code Creativity in Product Innovation Cracking the Ad Code South Asian Edition Inside the Box Dentro de La Caja