Start by marking “Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results” as Want to Read:
Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results

Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results

This counterintuitive and powerfully effective approach to creativity demonstrates how every corporation and organization can develop an innovative culture.

Want to be creative? Then think Inside the Box. The traditional view says that creativity is unstructured and doesn’t follow rules or patterns. That you need to think “outside the box” to be truly original and innovati
Published June 11th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Box

Nelya
Jul 03, 2013 Nelya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I got this brook through goodreads giveaway. This is one of the more enlightening books I've read in a while. The authors definitely provided a different perspective of creativity that was actually quite eye-opening. Reading this book, I had a lot of "hmm never thought of it that way before" moments. I would highly recommend this book to everyone!
Annette Walker
Oct 06, 2013 Annette Walker rated it it was amazing
Improve the way you think when making decisions AND when coming up with new ideas (the innovation part). For me to give a book 5 stars it needs to stick with me and change me in some way. This book does that. The authors provide a nice mix of structure and short examples that help their systematic approach highly relevant.
Justin
Jul 26, 2013 Justin rated it liked it
Good concepts presented in an accessible format. While a good primer on the methodology, it seems unlikely that the reader can fully implement the process without additional help from subject matter experts. Not a very practical "how to" guide, but a worthwhile read.
Thomasin
Apr 05, 2014 Thomasin rated it it was amazing
"Creativity is rarely achieved by wildly divergent thinking... [H]ighly creative solutions to problems often hide in plain sight within an existing product, service, or environment."

Utterly surprising and fantastic! Creativity is proposed as a skill that can be learned by anyone, and that the most creative ideas are generated when starting with a solution then when starting with a problem. Several specific methods are discussed which allows a person "to create a 'form,' then take that form and
Jozef
Mar 29, 2016 Jozef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Het begint met te beweren dat alle technieken die uitgelegd worden een stevige wetenschappelijke onderbouwing hebben, maar verder krijg je nergens referenties naar die wetenschappelijke literatuur te zien, noch vind je enige uitleg over die onderbouwing. (bvb: hoe die methode wetenschappelijk getest werd).
Het bevat ook een aantal voorbeelden ter illustratie van hun methoden waarbij de uitvinder duidelijk niet op de hoogte was van de besproken methode. bvb: om de eenvoudige reden dat het veel te
Colleen
I participated in a MOOC on Innovation and Design Thinking and this was the required reading for the course - written by one of the professors, of course.

Because of that, my view of this is a bit skewed. We were to cover the material in the course before reading the chapter. Well, the material was the chapter regurgitated. So everything was very repetitive when I read it in the book. I do like the idea of the different methods of innovation - I think it's a great approach for companies, like min
Paul Ark
Nov 27, 2013 Paul Ark rated it really liked it
This book introduces rather innovative and counter-intuitive methodologies for stimulating innovation that run counter to unstructured, free-form brainstorming and "ideation" techniques that companies and teams often love to employ but that typically produce few results. The first three-quarters of the book is well structured with straight-forward explanations and examples, but the last quarter of the book starts to ramble and the innovation templates seem forced and unfocused (the reason why I ...more
Ninakix
Sep 25, 2013 Ninakix rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2013
first off, dear lord do these guys hate IDEO. Once I got over their hating on the design process in general (what it sounded like Drew Boyd really wanted was a method that anybody could pick up and generate ideas, something idiot proof that didn't involve really learning a new process?), there's actually some good ideas in here for brainstorming ideas. I'm not a big fan of the whole, brainstorm first, then hope for problems to solve later deal, but it probably works for more establish companies ...more
Shahid Khan
Jul 20, 2015 Shahid Khan rated it it was amazing
Certainly a new tool box to get more creative ideas. A very compact & crisp framework. Used immediately to craft two ideas for 2 startups to expand the brand & build community. It fits nicely into design thinking 'idea generation box to replace or compliment brainstorming'.
It would help to get more material from the authors & facilitators. It rewires the brain :)
Kemal Pramudya
May 01, 2016 Kemal Pramudya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mau luar atau dalam kotak, kreativitas itu tidak terbatas ruang dan waktu. Buku ini menyemangati kita bahwa manusia adalah mahkluk Tuhan yang paling bisa beradaptasi di dunia ini, tidak hanya untuk bertahan tapi mampu berkembang meski dimulai dari keterbatasan.

Contoh klasik dari berfikir inside the box, tonton Macgyver! ;)
Michael
Jun 16, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is one to read, and reference. The authors breakdown systems, and techniques for both creating new opportunities, and solving problems. It is interesting, and applicable to real world challenges. @drewboyd #jacobgoldenberg #innovation
Steven Bauer
Dec 20, 2013 Steven Bauer rated it liked it
It had some really interesting ideas for creative thinking and I really like the approach, anyone who is interested in being more creative should read this book. However I think the book oversells it's concept and this is just one type of creativity not the totally of it.
Mei
Jun 21, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was refreshing to read a book where the authors provide resourceful information.The author wrote in a simple language where anyone can comprehend. I learned a great deal, and it changed my mindset. I highly recommend this book, it taught me something I will never learn from school.
Kevin
Feb 16, 2016 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last. A book that says what I have been saying for years: thinking outside the box is complete nonsense.... http://greatesthitsblog.com/category/...
Leilla
Jun 27, 2015 Leilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
useful book
Greg Gurevich
Jun 08, 2013 Greg Gurevich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
highly recommended
Mai Aung
May 18, 2015 Mai Aung rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice ideas but poor presentation
Paul Magezi
Feb 11, 2014 Paul Magezi rated it really liked it
Very credible and insightful material.
Linda
Oct 09, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
p 72
Arnie
Jul 14, 2015 Arnie rated it really liked it
Great book suggests that creativity and innovation can be taught. Offers great techniques to get individuals and teams working to imnovate.
Ahmad Alkadri
May 23, 2015 Ahmad Alkadri rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
A nice, fast and accessible reading about creativity. Written in such a good way that I've started using the method. Well-recommended.
David
Aug 17, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Useful creativity method that takes a solution-first approach and works backwards towards a problem. Similar to the Russian method of TRIZ, but far more lightweight.
Richard
Nov 16, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lively and mostly well-written. Expounds the same ideas as TRIZ in a more accessible format.
Kenneth Grady
Sep 02, 2013 Kenneth Grady rated it really liked it
Shelves: innovation
interesting counterpoint to all the "outside the box" advice you hear. It does provide a great incentive when you tell people they can only work with those things immediately available to them.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Paul W
Paul W rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Casey Lysaght
Casey Lysaght rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Anup Gopinath
Anup Gopinath rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Dindy
Dindy rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Xóža Hňabaj
Xóža Hňabaj rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Productivity: Big Ideas from the Top 10 Books
  • Winning from Within: How to Create Lasting Change in Your Leadership and Your Life
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Ninja Innovation: The Ten Killer Strategies of the World's Most Successful Businesses
  • ShiftPoints
  • Your Network Is Your Net Worth: Unlock the Hidden Power of Connections for Wealth, Success, and Happiness in the Digital Age
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • Working in the UnOffice: A Guide to Coworking for Indie Workers, Small Businesses, and Nonprofits
  • Inspired! How to Be More Original, Insightful and Productive in Your Work
  • 101 Strategic, Job Search Marketing Steps: The Helpful Checklist-Guide to All Things Considered Workforce Readiness and Social Media Smart
  • Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Online
  • Idea Stormers: How to Lead and Inspire Creative Breakthroughs
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Using Teams to Solve Hard Problems
  • Spin Sucks: Communication and Reputation Management in the Digital Age (Que Biz-Tech)
  • It's Not Rocket Science: 7 Game-Changing Traits for Uncommon Success
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More