Start by marking “A Storm Too Soon: A True Story of Disaster, Survival and an Incredib” as Want to Read:
A Storm Too Soon: A True Story of Disaster, Survival and an Incredib

A Storm Too Soon: A True Story of Disaster, Survival and an Incredib

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published January 15th 2013 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about A Storm Too Soon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Storm Too Soon

Jp De
Mar 24, 2013 Jp De rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one the miraculously rescued victims torn in-extremis from the wrath of un-forecasted, post-named ST Storm Andrea, I have hesitated to provide my so obviously biased opinion of the book. Commander Nevada Smith who led his crew into this unforeseen maelstrom has opened the path on Amazon so I will continue on goodreads.
If you look at the photo of our raft on the side of the mountain of water it is hard to imagine, but to put this incredible 70 foot wave in perspective consider that seas genera
Rhonda White
Jan 30, 2016 Rhonda White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked just a few pages in. I read the entire book straight through. The author does an amazing job of painting the picture of what it was like for all the people involved. It's books like these that years later I wonder if it was a book or a movie that I remember.
American Mensa
Jul 22, 2016 American Mensa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Storm Too Soon is about an inspiring survival story of three men on a sailboat who run into trouble when faced with a rough tropical storm. Their trip was from Florida to France and even though they took many precautions before the trip, the tropical storm still surprised them. In this book you will also read about the four courageous coast guardsmen who risked their lives to save them. I think readers who enjoy suspense and action would like this book as there is a turn of events at every cor ...more
Ct Banjo
Feb 09, 2013 Ct Banjo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've even sailed a boat 30' or longer and thought you might want to sail the Atlantic....think again! This story will convince you to stay with sight of shore. I hate the use the term "page turner" but I read this as close to straight through as a full time job and family would allow me! Everything that could go wrong on a sail went wrong and through courage and chance these three survive.

This is also a wonderful testament to the heroic efforts of Coast Guard C-130 and helicopter pilots wh
Margaret Shettel
It seems trite to say this but I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN! I felt like I needed to stand up to read a good portion of this book because it was so intense. It is amazing what the human body and spirit can endure and this refers to the rescued as well as the rescuers. A truly amazing book.
Jordan Mayer
Mar 07, 2014 Jordan Mayer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a gripping story, I didn't find this book as enjoyable as his others. At times it seemed drawn out. The rescue portion was particularly engaging and the Coast Guard rescue team can only be described as brave, heroic and remarkable.
David R Thomlinson
Three very lucky sailors

Three very lucky sailors

Three sailors survived 70 foot waves. Very interesting book. Be sure to watch the rescue on YouTube. Amazing rescue crew.
Karen
Jul 31, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read!! This book should be on the high school summer reading list! Gives you lots of admiration for the Coast Guard. They certainly deserve a ton of credit for what they do on the job.
Larry DeFoor
Jun 13, 2016 Larry DeFoor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well told but not widely known story of survival against incredible odds. The book is quite intense as it details the heroism of a Coast Guard crew battling 70 foot+ waves and hurricane force winds in an attempt to rescue three sailors. This is America's finest doing the seemingly impossible.
Donald Mcneil
Jan 14, 2015 Donald Mcneil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of the most amazing books I have ever read. A true story so intense I could not put it down. The courage of these men and those that rescued them brought tears to my eyes over and over again.
Astra
Sep 12, 2015 Astra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I started this book, I could not put it down. A 'hold-your-breath' story (and I don't really care for non-fiction). Oh - and I'll never go sailing again!
Kati
May 14, 2016 Kati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating! At one point I was so absorbed while reading that my dinner went cold.
Monica
Feb 23, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sailing-boats
A 47 foot sailboat in the Atlantic is filling with water. It looks like the EPIRB is broken. The waves are averaging 50 feet. The three sailors will eventually wind up on a life raft in 80 foot waves. 80 foot waves! The story of the rescue is incredible. Will the helicopter go down? Will the rescue swimmer make it?

Great book. I've read a lot of sailboat disaster books and this really one stands out. (Along with Deborah Scaling Kiley's book, but that's another story.) I like the I learned a bit
Kenny
Oct 08, 2014 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down. Great story and true...WOW!
R Rosenthal
Amazing rescue at sea
Brigette
Jan 17, 2014 Brigette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story about a sailing disaster (and subsequent rescue) was really interesting. I learned a lot about how the Coast Guard operates and about survival in (very) high seas. It was well written and included a lot of material that was clearly gathered from talking to the participants, rather than just facts and figures.
Melanie
Jun 08, 2016 Melanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can think of so many of my fifth graders I could hand this book to although its spine label says YA. Incredible and action-packed retelling of a true harrowing story!
Velma Hansen
Most excellent book.
Mary
Jul 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story of survival and rescue. I cannot even imagine what it must have been like for the three sailors to go up a 70-foot wave in a slightly deflated life raft. Even more amazing is that a rescue swimmer was willing to jump into that maelstrom to rescue. I have newfound admiration for the Coast Guard and their rescue teams. Even though I knew the eventual outcome, the story was riveting from start to finish.
Jessica
Jun 04, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harrowing ocean rescue told by a master
Melanie Guerra
Nov 29, 2013 Melanie Guerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fast read that demonstrates not just the power of nature and the sea, but of human determination and teamwork. a moment or two of white-knuckled ride, but generally an interesting light shed on the work of coast guard teams and the roles they play/work they do.
Ps - do check out the video mentioned at the end of the book!
Ajetunhsiv
From a 'survival and rescue from a disaster' standpoint this story is nothing short of miraculous. I am now even more scared of water than before...thanks for that ;) The writing is jumpy and disconnected for my taste and the author assumes we are all sailors with the amount of terminology thrown in.
D. Norman
Jul 24, 2014 D. Norman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 10 stars if I could. I saw Tougis give a talk about this and was fascinated. Then I read the book and was absolutely amazed. The Coast Guard SAR folks don't get enough recognition for the job they do and no one is a better advocate than Tougis. Read this book!
Bill Bennett
Jun 10, 2013 Bill Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great literature, but an awesome story. Those Coast Guard rescue teams are out of their minds!
Check out the videos of the rescue on you tube, they're mind boggling.
Robin
Dec 03, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page-turning rescue story that taught me much about the dangers of sailing and about the danger and the art and the science of the rescue missions.
Bruce
Feb 15, 2013 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A credible job of describing the horrifying circumstances that can descend on mariners without warning and the rescue systems set up to save their lives
William May
May 01, 2013 William May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will keep you at the edge of your favorite reading chair. Great story and tribute to our United States Coast Guard. Thrilling and great read.
Mark McKellar
This is the 3rd book I have read by Michael J. Tougias. He never disappoints. A riveting tale of adventure on the high (and I do mean HIGH) seas.
Tom
Sep 02, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really compelling true account of a Coast Guard rescue at sea. What they pull off is amazing.
Wellyn
Jan 21, 2013 Wellyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Michael Tougias One of my favorite authors.
  • On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing Alaskan Rescue That Became a Legend
  • The Last Run: A true story of rescue and redemption on the Alaska seas
  • Deadliest Sea: The Untold Story Behind the Greatest Rescue in Coast Guard History
  • Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes
  • Their Ex's Redrock Midnight (Texas Alpha #2)
  • Alcatraz: A Definitive History of the Penitentiary Years
  • Someone To Watch Over Me
  • Operation Snow: How a Soviet Mole in FDR's White House Triggered Pearl Harbor
  • Country Bride (Country Brides, #1)
  • For Crew and Country: The Inspirational True Story of Bravery and Sacrifice Aboard the USS Samuel B. Roberts
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Family Ties (A Cop in the Family, #2)
  • Lover by Chance
  • Heartbreak Trail
  • Until the Sea Shall Free Them: Life, Death and Survival in the Merchant Marine
  • Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her
  • The Cold War: History in an Hour
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
Michael J. Tougias is an award winning author and co-author of 24 books.

Among his bestsellers are The Finest Hours (Disney Motion Pictures' version will open in 45 countries in January 2016), Fatal Forecast, Overboard, King Philip's War, and There's A Porcupine In My Outhouse: The Vermont Misadventures of a Mountain Man Wannabe.

Tougias lectures across the country on each of his book topics. He al
More about Michael J. Tougias...