ICEHOTEL

ICEHOTEL

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  48 reviews
**This edition is no longer available**

Maggie Stewart, an accountant in her late twenties, is happily pursuing a career in an Edinburgh pharmaceutical company. When a series of brutal murders takes place at the surreal Icehotel in Sweden where she is holidaying with friends, she tries desperately to uncover both the motive and the true identity of the killer before she bec...more
Published September 14th 2012 by Hanna Allen (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about ICEHOTEL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ICEHOTEL

Paul
Two stars may be a bit harsh, but I struggle to justify giving it any more than that. I wanted to give it three but when I look at the other books I have rated three stars I just didn't enjoy this as much.

I think my biggest issue with it was that I didn't really like any of the characters. I honestly couldn't have cared less if any one of them had have been murdered and a few I would have liked to have been killed. The main one being the character of Mike, who ends every sentence with "so it is/...more
Amanda Smith
My review from amazon.com dated 11/13/2013

Title: A wonderful book about a mystery set in Sweden

I am very interested in anything Sweden, it just seems like an unique country. I also really enjoy British literature which this indeed is. So that is a warning to anyone who does not like reading British literature.

It is about three best friends who decided to vacation in Lapland Sweden at the Icehotel. They expected to be amazed at the beautiful sights and fun excursions. However, instead someone die...more
Sherry
This book reminds me of a great Mary Stewart mystery and an Agatha Christie who dunnit all rolled into one. Our protagonist, Maggie goes on a vacation with two of her best friends, Harry, a researcher and Liz, a co-worker at Bayne Pharmaceuticals. They go to the ice-hotel in Lapland. A wealthy philanthropist is murdered. And the murderer is among them. This is a taut tale that held me from start to finish. Part of my Kindle subscription.
Katherine Coble
The only character I even remotely liked ended up dead.
Choopie
Slow to start and predictable ending
Isis
A classic murder mystery, this book has more twists and turns than a corkscrew. Maggie, Liz, and their dear friend Harry go on holiday together to The Icehotel in Lapland - a hotel that changes each year since it melts each summer.

While on their holiday the trio meet a cast of characters almost worthy of a Shakespearean play. Amidst a variety of daily adventures offered strange accidents begin to occur. Mysterious incidents that look to some as if they may be something much more nefarious than m...more
Andrea
Icehotel was a great novel; it was delightfully free of the usual errors that seem to slip through the proofreading net, with a great variation in vocabulary contributing to a well written, enjoyable prose. The setting was very clever in that it helped to set up a perfect crime and it was eerily sinister, as opposed to the idyllic holiday setting it should have been for the characters.

The characters themselves were very well written. I found the plight of the protagonist and her struggle with he...more
Kira
This was an unusual read for me because I don't often read murder mysteries. It was slow to get going and I couldn't really understand the friendship between Maggie, Liz and Harry but went with it anyway. Things didn't really get interesting until the Icehotel. Then it was a game of guess who. I did think the protagonist of Maggie made some very stupid decisions along the way which made me like her less than I should have but I understand it why it was written that way. I was caught up in Maggie...more
David Gooch
A surprisingly good book.
Three friends decide on a holiday at the Icehotel and once they get there a murder follows but who could it be. There are plenty of suspects amongst the guests etc. and of course there is the Stockholm Hotel Murder still on the loose, so who can be sure.
The book starts oddly as it about one of the friends visiting a psychologist to help get over the trauma of the visit but she then describes the holiday and all that occurs. We follow her as she tries to solve the myster...more
Jo
This was OK, I didn't dislike it, hence 3 stars, but it took me a while to finish it, probably because I couldn't get into the characters. I picked it out of a bunch of free ebooks because it was set in Edinburgh where I used to live, but the action all takes place in Sweden at the Icehotel, which turns out to be a real place - the photos on google look amazing. It's an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery with a cast of out there characters, several of whom are bumped off in slightly gruesome w...more
C.
Far,far too gruesome and gory for my tastes,plus scattered profanity and crude conversations
Very Original.This was actually a pretty good mystery with really surprising twists and turns.I did manage to stick with it to the finish,even though it has several elements that I normally avoid[profanity,an explicit sex scene,and gruesome gore].

It was not difficult to put down so it took me 4 days to finish it!

At times it is really wordy,and I did skim some in the middle.

The descriptions of the locale w...more
Sharon Kennedy
This is one I downloaded ages ago, but for whatever reason, I didn't read it straight away. When there was a recent update, it brought it back to my attention, and this time, I got stuck in straight away.
The story was set around the Icehotel in Sweden, which is only in existence for a few weeks every year, and of course a murder occurs. But intriguingly, there is no apparent reason for the death of the victim, and the guests are still trying to puzzle this one out when another, much more brutal...more
Kerry James
OK book a nice easy read..

Although there are a few twists, I did guess who the murderer was quite early on but enough in there to keep me reading to the end.

I was amazed to discover that I found myself hoping that certain characters got bumped off as they were majorly annoying... so they were!

Wont mention any names as I do not want to give anything away but if you read the book you will know who I am getting at.

Worth a read as it was a very well written book and made me want to go visit an ice h...more
I really did enjoy the book and it definitely had a surprise ending.
Devin Lind
It was nice to read an English-language novel set in northern Sweden. While I've never stayed at the Icehotel, I know several people who have.

At first I had problems with some details that didn't ring true to me (like how good command if English all Swedes seemed to have), but since it is a work of fiction I decided to not let that bother me.

The book is well-written, with few mistakes. I enjoyed all the twists, I was unable to figure out who the bad guy was until the very end.

All in all, an okay...more
Jennifer Mangler
I only finished reading this because it was recommended by a friend and I wanted to finish so we could talk about it. I love the bits about the cold and the Icehotel, but I just didn't care about the murder mystery at all. And I'm a fan of murder mysteries. I just couldn't get into it.
Susan
"Icehotel" is a pretty decent read -- but not a white-knuckle ride. The Ice Hotel in Lapland is the setting and would not have been my choice for a vacation -- way too cold!! One of the characters is a really cold (!) murderer whose plans fall apart immediately causing much more havoc than originally intended.

I did figure out who the murderer was fairly early, but that didn't spoil the reading of the rest of the book.
Ruth
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The sign of a well written book, for me, is when I can imagine the characters, what they look and sound like, and how the stage is set. This book pulled me in so well that I could see the ice sculptures and feel the cold. I had sussed out the murderer long before the end of the book, but it didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying it.
Julie
Gripping, page-turning, and an easy read. Not really too taxing, but with enough twists to keep you hooked. (One or two of them I did see coming though!). Generally well-written, with the exception of Mike the "Oirish" character, who I felt descended a little into paradody so he did, to be sure.
Gretchen
Murder in an ice hotel in Lapland- this is not your usual venue for a murder mystery. I must admit the description of the hotel makes me want to go there! There are lots of great pictures on-line. The end of the book where you find out who dunnit and why, was a complete surprise.
Nancy Harmon
This book should be somewhere between three and four stars. It kept my interest through the entire story, which a lot of books haven't done recently. I felt that the insinuation that the ice figures were somehow supernatural was more of a distraction than a part of the story.
Vicii
really good page turner. I only realised towards the end that there are clues dotted around the text to help you to solve the mystery. Ironically those clues were some repeated sentences that bugged me! oh yeah, and I got it wrong...
Pat
Suspenseful, great descriptions of the hotel based on the "real" Ice Hotel in Sweden. You may have to suspend belief a couple of times when the lead character seems to be far too obtuse for the situation, but all in all a good read.
Elaine
Well-written, nicely fast paced book! Intriguing mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Every time I thought I had figured out "whodunit" I was surprised. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys murder mysteries.
Gloria Johnson
I chose to read this book simply because it took place in the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden, having seen articles about the hotel. Great setting and the mystery was one with many twists and turns. I enjoyed the book.
Connie
For years, I've wanted to visit an ice hotel. All while reading this book by Hanna Allen, I was cold. Sure, it's winter...that, and the psychopathic murderer. A good mystery, well told.
Marinne Carter
Excellent story line great suspense and keeps you guessing until the very end. Well written and captivating I look forward to reading more from Hanna Allen
Karen
I would like to say that i enjoyed the ending of this book a lot better than the start.The start was to slow for me but by the end I was hooked.
Louise Almond
Great whodunnit with lots of red herrings. thought I'd figured it out earlier, then decided I hadn't.. then at the last minute.. I was right!
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Past Imperfect
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • Little Lamb Lost
  • Moon Signs
  • Itsy Bitsy Spider (Emma Frost #1)
  • Freezer Burn (A Peri Minneopa Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Pompomberry House
  • The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Disappear
  • The Crypt (Sarah Roberts, #3)
  • Trade Secrets
  • Hope Road
  • Trial Junkies
  • The Dead Room
Jack in the Box: A Von Valenti Mystery

“Engqvist’s smirk broadened into a smile. ‘Of course,’ I said faintly, the blood rushing to my face.” 0 likes
“Engqvist” 0 likes