Start by marking “Icehotel” as Want to Read:
Icehotel

Icehotel

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  307 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
**This edition is no longer available**

Maggie Stewart, an accountant in her late twenties, is happily pursuing a career in an Edinburgh pharmaceutical company. When a series of brutal murders takes place at the surreal Icehotel in Sweden where she is holidaying with friends, she tries desperately to uncover both the motive and the true identity of the killer before she bec
Published September 14th 2012 by Hanna Allen (first published September 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Icehotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icehotel

Paul
Oct 09, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok
Two stars may be a bit harsh, but I struggle to justify giving it any more than that. I wanted to give it three but when I look at the other books I have rated three stars I just didn't enjoy this as much.

I think my biggest issue with it was that I didn't really like any of the characters. I honestly couldn't have cared less if any one of them had have been murdered and a few I would have liked to have been killed. The main one being the character of Mike, who ends every sentence with "so it is/
Carina
Wow... over 2 weeks to read 400 pages in a fictional non-classic book. Not a great sign of me enjoying this.

My first impression of the book wasn't great - we open in the present day during a therapist section with our female lead. Chapter 2 sees us go back in time to the events that took place at THE ICE HOTEL!!! I feel I should add a dun dun dunnnnnn sound effect here as that's the feel I got from the layout of this. We know throughout the book something bad and traumatic and awful is going to
Amanda Smith
Mar 03, 2014 Amanda Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, kindle
My review from amazon.com dated 11/13/2013

Title: A wonderful book about a mystery set in Sweden

I am very interested in anything Sweden, it just seems like an unique country. I also really enjoy British literature which this indeed is. So that is a warning to anyone who does not like reading British literature.

It is about three best friends who decided to vacation in Lapland Sweden at the Icehotel. They expected to be amazed at the beautiful sights and fun excursions. However, instead someone die
Sherry
Mar 24, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of a great Mary Stewart mystery and an Agatha Christie who dunnit all rolled into one. Our protagonist, Maggie goes on a vacation with two of her best friends, Harry, a researcher and Liz, a co-worker at Bayne Pharmaceuticals. They go to the ice-hotel in Lapland. A wealthy philanthropist is murdered. And the murderer is among them. This is a taut tale that held me from start to finish. Part of my Kindle subscription.
Katherine Coble
Feb 03, 2013 Katherine Coble rated it it was ok
Shelves: bargain-books
The only character I even remotely liked ended up dead.
Choopie
Jan 04, 2013 Choopie rated it it was ok
Slow to start and predictable ending
Isis
Jan 04, 2013 Isis rated it really liked it
A classic murder mystery, this book has more twists and turns than a corkscrew. Maggie, Liz, and their dear friend Harry go on holiday together to The Icehotel in Lapland - a hotel that changes each year since it melts each summer.

While on their holiday the trio meet a cast of characters almost worthy of a Shakespearean play. Amidst a variety of daily adventures offered strange accidents begin to occur. Mysterious incidents that look to some as if they may be something much more nefarious than m
Grammar*Kitten
Oct 23, 2012 Grammar*Kitten rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-freebies
Icehotel was a great novel; it was delightfully free of the usual errors that seem to slip through the proofreading net, with a great variation in vocabulary contributing to a well written, enjoyable prose. The setting was very clever in that it helped to set up a perfect crime and it was eerily sinister, as opposed to the idyllic holiday setting it should have been for the characters.

The characters themselves were very well written. I found the plight of the protagonist and her struggle with he
Kira
Feb 08, 2014 Kira rated it liked it
This was an unusual read for me because I don't often read murder mysteries. It was slow to get going and I couldn't really understand the friendship between Maggie, Liz and Harry but went with it anyway. Things didn't really get interesting until the Icehotel. Then it was a game of guess who. I did think the protagonist of Maggie made some very stupid decisions along the way which made me like her less than I should have but I understand it why it was written that way. I was caught up in Maggie ...more
Clare Williams
Oct 17, 2014 Clare Williams rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this story however a couple of things really grated on my nerves. Mike Molloy, the Irishman. All the "so he dids" etc whenever he spoke, just so we knew he was Oirish. I'm surprised he didn't Riverdance round the bar. Also all the "we're all doomed" signs were a bit over the top.
David Gooch
Sep 16, 2013 David Gooch rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good book.
Three friends decide on a holiday at the Icehotel and once they get there a murder follows but who could it be. There are plenty of suspects amongst the guests etc. and of course there is the Stockholm Hotel Murder still on the loose, so who can be sure.
The book starts oddly as it about one of the friends visiting a psychologist to help get over the trauma of the visit but she then describes the holiday and all that occurs. We follow her as she tries to solve the myster
The Cats Mother
This was OK, I didn't dislike it, hence 3 stars, but it took me a while to finish it, probably because I couldn't get into the characters. I picked it out of a bunch of free ebooks because it was set in Edinburgh where I used to live, but the action all takes place in Sweden at the Icehotel, which turns out to be a real place - the photos on google look amazing. It's an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery with a cast of out there characters, several of whom are bumped off in slightly gruesome w ...more
C.
Far,far too gruesome and gory for my tastes,plus scattered profanity and crude conversations
Very Original.This was actually a pretty good mystery with really surprising twists and turns.I did manage to stick with it to the finish,even though it has several elements that I normally avoid[profanity,an explicit sex scene,and gruesome gore].

It was not difficult to put down so it took me 4 days to finish it!

At times it is really wordy,and I did skim some in the middle.

The descriptions of the locale w
Sharon Kennedy
Nov 19, 2013 Sharon Kennedy rated it really liked it
This is one I downloaded ages ago, but for whatever reason, I didn't read it straight away. When there was a recent update, it brought it back to my attention, and this time, I got stuck in straight away.
The story was set around the Icehotel in Sweden, which is only in existence for a few weeks every year, and of course a murder occurs. But intriguingly, there is no apparent reason for the death of the victim, and the guests are still trying to puzzle this one out when another, much more brutal
Rachel Bustin
Jan 25, 2015 Rachel Bustin rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, gave me the shivers while I was reading it! It keeps you guessing right up to the end!
Kerry James
Feb 08, 2013 Kerry James rated it liked it
OK book a nice easy read..

Although there are a few twists, I did guess who the murderer was quite early on but enough in there to keep me reading to the end.

I was amazed to discover that I found myself hoping that certain characters got bumped off as they were majorly annoying... so they were!

Wont mention any names as I do not want to give anything away but if you read the book you will know who I am getting at.

Worth a read as it was a very well written book and made me want to go visit an ice h
Sarah c
Jun 02, 2014 Sarah c rated it liked it
I really did enjoy the book and it definitely had a surprise ending.
Maria
Oct 21, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
I DIDN'T WANT IT TO END!!!! Loved every second!!
Devin Lind
Feb 16, 2013 Devin Lind rated it liked it
It was nice to read an English-language novel set in northern Sweden. While I've never stayed at the Icehotel, I know several people who have.

At first I had problems with some details that didn't ring true to me (like how good command if English all Swedes seemed to have), but since it is a work of fiction I decided to not let that bother me.

The book is well-written, with few mistakes. I enjoyed all the twists, I was unable to figure out who the bad guy was until the very end.

All in all, an okay
Liz
Dec 14, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
One word title completed of book challenge
Jennifer Mangler
Jan 06, 2014 Jennifer Mangler rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I only finished reading this because it was recommended by a friend and I wanted to finish so we could talk about it. I love the bits about the cold and the Icehotel, but I just didn't care about the murder mystery at all. And I'm a fan of murder mysteries. I just couldn't get into it.
Susan
Nov 30, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
"Icehotel" is a pretty decent read -- but not a white-knuckle ride. The Ice Hotel in Lapland is the setting and would not have been my choice for a vacation -- way too cold!! One of the characters is a really cold (!) murderer whose plans fall apart immediately causing much more havoc than originally intended.

I did figure out who the murderer was fairly early, but that didn't spoil the reading of the rest of the book.
Ruth
Feb 07, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The sign of a well written book, for me, is when I can imagine the characters, what they look and sound like, and how the stage is set. This book pulled me in so well that I could see the ice sculptures and feel the cold. I had sussed out the murderer long before the end of the book, but it didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying it.
Julie
Oct 23, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Gripping, page-turning, and an easy read. Not really too taxing, but with enough twists to keep you hooked. (One or two of them I did see coming though!). Generally well-written, with the exception of Mike the "Oirish" character, who I felt descended a little into paradody so he did, to be sure.
Gretchen
Nov 18, 2014 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Murder in an ice hotel in Lapland- this is not your usual venue for a murder mystery. I must admit the description of the hotel makes me want to go there! There are lots of great pictures on-line. The end of the book where you find out who dunnit and why, was a complete surprise.
Nancy Harmon
Dec 12, 2013 Nancy Harmon rated it really liked it
This book should be somewhere between three and four stars. It kept my interest through the entire story, which a lot of books haven't done recently. I felt that the insinuation that the ice figures were somehow supernatural was more of a distraction than a part of the story.
Vicii
Nov 18, 2013 Vicii rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
really good page turner. I only realised towards the end that there are clues dotted around the text to help you to solve the mystery. Ironically those clues were some repeated sentences that bugged me! oh yeah, and I got it wrong...
Pat
Dec 10, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, great descriptions of the hotel based on the "real" Ice Hotel in Sweden. You may have to suspend belief a couple of times when the lead character seems to be far too obtuse for the situation, but all in all a good read.
Elaine
Dec 16, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Well-written, nicely fast paced book! Intriguing mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Every time I thought I had figured out "whodunit" I was surprised. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys murder mysteries.
Gloria Johnson
Feb 28, 2013 Gloria Johnson rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book simply because it took place in the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden, having seen articles about the hotel. Great setting and the mystery was one with many twists and turns. I enjoyed the book.
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • Dead End
  • Past Imperfect
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Freezer Burn (A Peri Minneopa Mystery, #1)
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • Scottish Rite
  • You Wish...
  • Seasons of Death
  • Freud's Revenge
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • Prayers for the Dying
  • Flings and Arrows
  • Sign of the Times
  • The Dress (Everyday Magic, #1)
  • The Paper Doll Museum
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Crossed (Jayden Morrow Mysteries, #1)

“Engqvist’s smirk broadened into a smile. ‘Of course,’ I said faintly, the blood rushing to my face.” 0 likes
“Engqvist” 0 likes