Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Sabertooth: Global Warming, the Origins of the First Americans, and the Terrible Beasts of the Pleistocene” as Want to Read:

"Doug Peacock, as ever, walks point for all of us. Not since Bill McKibben’s The End of Nature has a book of such import been presented to readers. Peacock’s intelligence defies measure. His is a beautiful, feral heart, always robust, relentless with its love and desire for the human race to survive, and be sculpted by the coming hard times: to learn a magnificent humility ...more
Published June 4th 2013 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Sabertooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of the Sabertooth

Brooke
Jul 02, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
My friends know I follow writers who specialize in western landscapes, and a few months ago one of them asked me what Doug Peacock was up to. I'd heard Peacock was working on a book about a different, earlier time when our species faced a warming climate and what we might learn from that now. But that wasn't what I said. I said, "I think he's writing his memoir of the Pleistocene."

I caught myself. Peacock couldn't write a 'memoir' of the Pleistocene, that geological epoch lasting from 2.5 millio
Richard Reese
Dec 23, 2015 Richard Reese rated it really liked it
Doug Peacock, the grizzly bear expert, lives near the Yellowstone River in Montana. In 1968, the largest collection of Clovis artifacts was found not far from his home, on the Anzick ranch. The Clovis culture of Native Americans existed for about 300 years, from 13,100 to 12,800 to years ago — during the era of megafauna extinctions. Of the 35 genera of large mammals that went extinct in America, half of them vanished in a 500-year period, from 13,200 to 12,700 years ago.

The Clovis culture devel
Billy Duke
May 22, 2013 Billy Duke rated it really liked it
I love Doug Peacock and I love AK Press! Thank you Goodreads and AK Press for my First Reads copy!
Steven McKay
I really wanted to enjoy this book, and I did enjoy parts, but ultimately I couldn't finish it, a rare occurrence. On the positive side, I enjoyed the speculative scenarios of human migration into the Americas, as well as the descriptions of the landscapes and wildlife. On the negative side, this book really needed an editor. It felt disorganized, jumping around and repeating itself, and I personally had a hard time sometimes differentiating between the author's opinions and the archeological ...more
Marc
Jul 01, 2013 Marc rated it really liked it
There’s a feeling you get in Grizzly country when you’re passing too close to what looks like a perfect location for a bear’s day bed. Maybe a thicket of huckleberries, maybe an island grove of cottonwood with plenty of downed limbs and new undergrowth. But whatever it is, you stop in your tracks. Silent alarms are triggered, your hackles rise to attention, you forget to breathe.

That’s how it feels to come to the end of Doug Peacock’s latest book, In the Shadow of the Sabertooth: A Renegade Natu
Mark Bailey
Apr 11, 2014 Mark Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: melony-office
Doug Peacock is a force with a point. He travels with kindred spirits. When asked to be "the bear guy" and walk point when out in polar bear country on a beluga whale expedition to the Canadian High Arctic, the weapon he chose to protect his clients was a home made spear. I'd like to hear what his pals on the trip, Bart Lewis, Rick Ridgeway and Doug Tompkins had to say about that. I imagine them right behind him, tense and grinning.

Peacock was serious. Having spent big chunks of time with bears
Ralph
Sep 11, 2014 Ralph rated it really liked it
Doug Peacock writes as though he were talking with you over a beer. I have known about him since I was a ranger int he Tetons in the late 60's or early 70's, although I can't recall if we have ever met. He was the model for Edward Abby's protagonist, George Hayduke, in "The Monkey Wrench Gang". At the Mountain Film Festival in Telluride this past May, I watched "Wrenched", the story of the environmental movement and monkey-wrenching that grew out of Abby's book. Doug was well represented. So ...more
Patrick Dean
Nov 11, 2013 Patrick Dean rated it liked it
A fascinating book by a fascinating character, a 'renegade naturalist' who went to the mountains to recover from Vietnam and has probably spent more time in the wild with grizzlies than anyone alive. Peacock examines the archaeological and paleontological evidence regarding the first humans in the Americas. He examines the major prehistorical puzzles: why did the Clovis culture (known for its beautiful spear points) spread so rapidly through the Americas, and then vanish so suddenly and utterly? ...more
Bob Simpson
May 15, 2013 Bob Simpson rated it it was amazing
Doug Peacock speculates about the North American mass extinctions and drastic climate changes at the end of Pleistocene, as well as the rise and seeming disappearance of the Clovis people. Throughout the book he asks questions about how we will face drastic climate change, a change of our own making. Fans of short faced bears will love this book. This fearsome now extinct giant figures prominently in the story as does its more adaptable cousin the grizzly.
James
Aug 13, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Love it! Very fascinating layman's look at the first humans in the Americas and the potential effects on big mammals like Mammoths. Peacock has a background in bears, and looks at the gigantic short-face bears detriment in earlier human settlement. It is a somewhat chilling view of our future existence on the planet given the environmental destruction of the entire Earth.
Mike
Jan 14, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
A fine account and meditation on the coming of people to North America and the loss of the continent's megafauna and what implications it holds as we face climate change.
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Mark Aronson
Mark Aronson rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Jace Stansbury
Jace Stansbury rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Molly Siegel
Molly Siegel rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Trent
Trent rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Al Lloyd
Al Lloyd rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Cory
Cory rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Janette
Janette rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Lesley Thomas
Lesley Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Katherine Head
Katherine Head rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
  • Beechcombings: The narratives of trees
  • Durruti in the Spanish Revolution
  • Murder of Sex
  • The Natural Navigator
  • The End of the World as We Know It?: Snapshots of the Crisis, Austerity, and the Movements Against
  • Deadly Kingdom: The Book of Dangerous Animals
  • At the Loch of the Green Corrie
  • Rage Against the Dying Light
  • The Doors
  • Truth Be Told: A Memoir of Success, Suicide, and Survival
  • One Man's Owl
  • Life Unworthy of Life
  • The Wrong Dog Dream: A True Romance
Author, Vietnam veteran, filmmaker and naturalist Doug Peacock has published widely on wilderness issues: from grizzly bears to buffalo, from the Sierra Madres of the Sonoran desert to the fjords of British Columbia, from the tigers of Siberia to the blue sheep of Nepal. Doug Peacock was a Green Beret medic and the real-life model for Edward Abbey’s George Washington Hayduke in The Monkey Wrench ...more
More about Doug Peacock...