Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel

Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel ('Til The Boys Come Home #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  88 reviews
A gripping tale that brings to life the meaning of freedom and patriotism and how the now little-appreciated Great War engulfed the lives of young Americans. A valuable addition to LDS literature.
Published March 2005 by Covenant (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Til the Boys Come Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Til the Boys Come Home

Alison
Really enjoyed this book. It is a WWI historical fiction with an LDS viewpoint. I love how it gives a lot of information about the time period and the type of fighting that occured during the war but weaves it into a story that captivates the audience and pulls you right along. The story takes place in 3 sections, beginning during the boys teenage years and the closeness they develop as part of a teacher's quorum at church. It is not until the middle section that some of them go off to war. I lo...more
Lindsay Dalton
This is a great read if you like historical fiction, which I do. It really gives you an idea of the times and the hardship of WW1. It is also a great story of how much you can impact someones life, whether they were born into your family or put there later because they needed you.
Tami
I enjoyed Borrowman's character development. And I loved how the main characters weren't invincible. It was a touching tale and educational for me. Not as gripping as other war novels, but I enjoyed it...a fast read.
Roy
My grandpa (the only one I was able to meet in this life) served in WWI so I was way stoked to read this book and come to understand him better. I am so very glad that I read this book!

First of all, what a truly awful war this one was! All wars are of course awful, but this one seems to take the cake in my way of thinking. Talk about a bunch of stupid male posturing and terrible tactics with weapons that non of the commanders even seemed to care how they truly work. My grandpa always refused to...more
Taylor G.
I recently read “ ‘Til the Boys Come Home: A World War 1 Novel" by Jerry Borrowman. I honestly didn't enjoy this read. Not only was the book slow and drawn out in the beginning, but I had a challenging time getting through the book due to its large size. I appreciated the author specifying the boys' childhood and their growing friendship, and experiences, but it truly was WAY too detailed and I didn't feel it applied to the actual topic (World War 1), until I continued to read to the second part...more
Meghan J.
Til' the Boys Come Home was an action-filled, heartwarming, incredible tale about the great World War I. Borrowman did an outstanding job at capturing the audience's empathy because right away you fall in love with best friends Dan O'Brian and Trevor Richards. It's August 1911 when the novel begins. Trevor Richards is the new kid in town, and at first it seems highly unlikely that the two boys will become friends. But at time passes, Dan and Trevor realize how much they have in common and that...more
Alyssa
I enjoyed this book. I didn't know much about WW1, so this was educational for me. The characters were great, Dan, Trevor and all the boys. Life seemed so much more simpler back in the early 1900s. Especially in a small town of Pocatello. Which was also a railroad town, My grandpa and dad worked/work for the railroad. So this was also kind of a cool thing to see how it was during this time. I loved at the end of the book it explained how the war started and such. I really had no idea! Airplanes...more
Jackie
I like historical fiction. I tend to read mostly about war (morbid I guess). This one is about WWI. I follows a group of LDS boys who grew up together in Idaho as they face war. I ends abrubtly. I really thought that the story could have contiuned, but as far as I know it is not a series book. I also would have liked a little more history. One of the boys goes into the air force, which was brand new at the time, so the focus is all on the aviation. My husband thought it was interesting. I guess...more
Wendy
Aug 29, 2008 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Mom
Why I picked up this book: It was at my mom's house. It's a WWI historical fiction (my grandpa fought in WWI). The main characters are from Pocatello! And I enjoyed the authors other books that he co-wrote.

Why it wasn't as good as it could have been: The characters did not seem realistic. Their vocabulary was better than mine and I'm not a 15 year old farm boy from 1911 Pocatello. The author keep talking about how good of friends the boys were but it just wasn't as believable because he didn't...more
Carol
Historical fiction saga about friends lives from teen years to WWI years. This is quite a long novel. Some parts move very slow and others moved really fast. I did enjoy most of it. But, the war years were a little disturbing...just like real war is I suppose. It made me think at the end why we are really on this earth. It helped me realize if things don't go how we think or hoped, we need to look inside ourselves for the growth we can obtain in difficult times of trials and trouble. I would rec...more
Janice
LDS fiction book. Not the greatest literature, but a haunting look at WWI. The first setting of the book is in Pocatello, Idaho. Two boys, one rich, one poor--best of friends, active LDS boys. Their lives change dramatically when the United States enters the war. The chapter on mustard gas was a hard one for me--one of my favorite uncles experienced the gassing, and his life was changed forever. My brother-in-law gave me the second book in this series, and so I picked up this one to read first....more
Sandra Law
Good historical fiction.
Wendyh
I have read one other from this author that I really liked ("A Distant Prayer") I also very much enjoyed this one. I didn't know much about the "Great War" or WWI, so I enjoyed the bits of history. This novel is the first in a trilogy, and follows the lives of 2 families whose sons are best friends throughout the first book.

The novel travels from a small town in Idaho to battlefields in France, and is captivating in both locales. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Bryan
I didn't feel like the story was written wonderfully and the way that time jumped from being a Teacher to going to college and barely mentioning significant things that happened (like Dan's mother dying) was strange to me. All of that said I am not super critical when it comes to books - I enjoyed the story, I like history and enjoyed the historical aspect of the book and so I all in all liked it. I am going to read the follow on books so that says something as well I suppose.
Apr 14, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: My teenage brother LOVED this book
I have always loved historical fiction. I was terrible at history, so anything to get me involved with fictional characters experiencing history helps me get interested. This is one of three books, this one set in WWI, the last 2 set in WWII. I liked a lot of things about the book, but I'm not sure I loved Borrowman's writing style. The dialogue often seemed cheesey in the extreme! Good message, however. It just seemed to take me a long time to get through.
Sue
This is the fourth book in the series and I found it to be an interesting story. The author addressed some issues in the series that you don't normally find in military tomes, like desertion and its effects on a soldier, a wounded soldier's addiction to prescribed painkillers, and how a soldier rebuilds his life at home after being wounded. This book concerns a Royal Navy officer, a British commando, prisoners of war, and Churchill's cabinet.
Diane Bell
I didn't really read all of this book, just ended up skimming. I thought it moved too slowly, and there was way too much explaining how things work - steam engines, mechanics of flying, etc. You can tell the author is really into that kind of thing, and I am not. It's the story of two fourteen year old boys who become friends, and later fight in WWI. It's a decent story, just too long and drawn out for my tastes.
Beckarado

I liked this book. It is the first I've read about WWI. I didn't realize it was an LDS book when I got it, but I liked the story line following a group of boys from 14 years old and through their service in the war. I liked aspect of how their youth leader united them as a group. He helped strengthen their faith and strengthen their friendship and strengthen each one of the boys.
Ann Amadori
Touching WWI era story. I enjoyed reading it and getting a sense of what it was like on the front lines in France. I have seen movies about the aviators and the dog fights so that was more familiar. I was surprised there was no mention of the great Spanish flu pandemic that killed so many thousands of troops in America and Europe and, some feel, had an influence on the outcome.
Tiffany Elgan
This book started off pretty slow and kinda LDS lit cheesy. I understand that he had to do the character development, but it was a bit hard to swallow at times. Once he actually got into the WWI stuff, it really caught my attention and had me riveted to find out what would happen next. For that I give it 4 stars. I'll certainly be reading the next book in the series.
Ellie Revert
This is a wonderful book, the prequel to the one about WWII, "I'll Be Seeing You which I loved! by Jerry Borrowman---he goes into great detail and makes things make sense--Brent loves these 2 books too. His GreatAunt Merlie's husband suffered from mustard gas in the trenches during the first WW. Also interesting about the Mormon church.
Suzanne
I only read it cuz of who wrote it, and it ended up being so close to home for me that it made me laugh, cry, stop reading, prepare to read some more just to pick it up and start reading again to find out how much closer it could get to home. But I finally finished and was eager to read the next one...I'll Be Seeing You.
Valerie
I really enjoyed this book and learned so much about the First World War. My grandfather and his brother were soldiers in this horrible war and now I understand a little more about him. His brother died for this cause, and my grandfather saw many horrible things, and yet he retained his faith in God, for which I am grateful.
Carla/mom
I enjoyed this book, I was told when I read it that men and women alike will enjoy this book and I can see why. Very well done. Definately makes you appreciate where we are today, many men and women have lived and died to allow us to enjoy the free land of America. Thank you to all who have served in our armed forces.
Brian
Spoiler: Pretty good book with the boys growing up and the different obstacles they over come together, then the book dropped a double bomb, ruined both their lives, but to Jerry's credit he did do a decent job building the book back up for the end that made it pretty good. still is a good read.
Kylie
Typical LDS novel. The first 2/3rds of the book was spent on setting up the story and discussing the adventures of a teachers quorum in Pocatello, Idaho. I was disappointed that it took so long to get to the actual history and the war. It was fun to read about the time period, though.
Leslie
Pretty good book but I didn't love it. It was pretty easy to see things coming in this one. It was interesting, however, to get some WWI history. I learned a lot about Pocatello and the railroad; not exactly on my list of tings I'm desperate to learn about, but it was interesting.
Ada
This is a historical fiction (LDS) given to me by a friend to read. Though I wasn't too excited about the possibilities, I read it and enjoyed the story. It was fairly predictable, but I came to like Danny and at least want to know how he made it out of WWI.
Heather
I don't know much about WWI so bought this hoping to learn more. While I did learn a little about the war it was more about the family's in the story and their relationships and how they deal with war. I really enjoyed it and planning to read the whole series.
Anna Lisby
I enjoyed this book. It took me a bit to get into it but once I did, I couldn't stop reading it. Especially once they got into the war, the action side of it really picked up although all of the character development in the beginning was very necessary.
  • Faith of Our Fathers: A House Divided (Volume One)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 1: Our Sacred Honor
  • How Many Roads (Hearts of the Children, #3)
  • A Banner Is Unfurled (A Banner is Unfurled, #1)
  • Traitor (Traitor, #1)
Jerry Borrowman is a best-selling author of fourteen published books, most military fiction and co-authored biography. He and Rudi Wobbe, co-authors of Three Against Hitler, are recipients of the prestigious George Washington National Medal of the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge,"for their contribution to the cause of freedom."

Jerry is known for his meticulous attention to historical detail, in...more
More about Jerry Borrowman...
I'll Be Seeing You: A World War II Novel, Pacific Theater ('Til The Boys Come Home, #2) As Time Goes By ('Til The Boys Come Home, #3) Home Again at Last One Last Chance Life and Death at Hoover Dam