Start by marking “Over the Wall” as Want to Read:
Over the Wall

Over the Wall

A great wall separates an ancient metropolis from the surrounding country side. Abandoned, shrouded by time, forbidden to all. No one may enter the mysterious city...

Who dares to go over the wall?
Published August 13th 2013 by Uncivilized Books (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Over the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Wall

Stephanie
Sep 23, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A young adult graphic novel that follows the journey of a young girl into an abandoned, walled off city in order to find her brother that she can't quite remember. In the city she encounters the reason why all the humans have left, demons now roam freely. She must choose to continue her quest, or turn back.

I usually do not read graphic novels, but this is a pretty good story for young readers and has lessons such as good winning over evil, courage and female strength. Overall, a good book for yo
Derek Parker
Nov 22, 2015 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
I've had this book for a couple of years. I got a proof copy of it not long before publication, but I put it aside and then forgot about it. Then in our recent webcomic show for the podcast, http://comicsalternative.com/webcomic..., we decided to review Wartman's Stonebreak. Over the Wall is the prequel to that, so I had a perfect opportunity to finally read this book. This is something I should have read much, much sooner!
Oct 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I'm putting this at a 4 because I'm assuming it will have a sequel, and if it does, I can see it turning into a great series for middle schoolers!
Snow
Aug 12, 2013 Snow rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-comics, reviewed
reviewing for Booklist
VonLeonhardt
Dec 02, 2015 VonLeonhardt rated it liked it
Over the Wall, a debut piece for Peter Wartman in the world of graphic novels, tells the tale of a young female protagonist who, in defiance of the rules of her culture, ventures into the abandoned city of demons to find the brother she lost during a right of passage. If this premise sounds overly simple, then the true strength of this tale is the way in which its simplicity becomes a vehicle for its success.

As a graphic novel, art is at its best when it emphasizes a story, and is complementary
Raina
Apr 07, 2015 Raina rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, graphicnovel
A city has been overtaken by alien demon monster creatures. Humans are living outside. One girl attempts a rescue mission over the wall.

I'm trying to put my finger on why this is getting shelved in YA as opposed to J. It seems to me to fit perfectly well on the shelf next to the work of Scott Chantler, Kazu Kibuishi, and Kean Soo (ok, the colorwork might be helping me lean in that direction). The story is straightforward and simple, though it contains some complex themes. The world aesthetica
Stacy268
Oct 30, 2013 Stacy268 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween, graphic-novel
When Jesse tells me I need to read a graphic novel, I read it! I really enjoyed the world of this debut, however, a single panel kept this from being a 5 star for me. I'm wondering if it will bother others...
Michelle
Jan 03, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Started well but disappointed with the abrupt resolution to this story. The different viewpoints about the history of the city could have been explored in more depth.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
This was a beautiful book, heartwarming and sweet, but I feel their was so much more potential to world building. I'd have adored it if there had been more story! So much was left unexplored!
Edward Sullivan
Girl goes over wall into abandoned ancient metropolis in search of her brother and encounters a demon. Good adventure/fantasy tale.
Alyson Hurt
Feb 08, 2014 Alyson Hurt rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lovely art. The story here feels incomplete, and the author sets up a world I want to know much more about. I hope there are follow-up volumes.
Ariel Caldwell
Nov 22, 2016 Ariel Caldwell rated it liked it
Odd, mysterious. This is catalogued as an adult book, but I think it would appeal to kids, too. What happens if you lose your memories? And how can someone else bring them back for you? Simple dystopian story that's worth more than the sum of its parts. Tough and sweet and caring heroine outwits demons to save her brother. What's not to love?
Child960801
Dec 01, 2016 Child960801 rated it really liked it
Read this one while sitting at the library with the kids. It's the story of a girl who goes into an abandoned city to try and rescue her older brother from the demons. I liked it alright. The pictures were nice and clear. I didn't love the story, it felt too much like it wanted more to it. But still good.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Dark and bold, ths gn takes us over the wall in search of an almost forgotten brother. There is one spread that is incredible-all black with spot illustrations makes the reader feel frozen, isolated and alone in silence. Incredible.
Simon Chadwick
Jan 14, 2014 Simon Chadwick rated it really liked it
Wading through the enormous choice of cartoon and comic related books each month creates something of a quandary as to what to take a chance upon, but every now and again it results in a real gem falling into your lap. So is the case with Over The Wall by Peter Wartman, a solidly realised fantastical tale of a girl searching for her brother.

The wall in question surrounds an enormous and ancient city, but the human population have deserted it and now live a simpler life in the countryside beyond
Maria Shuffit
Jul 13, 2016 Maria Shuffit rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this short, one-shot graphic novel about a girl who crosses a barrier into a forbidden city to find the brother that she can't quite remember. The art was very good, and I liked the way that it was all purple-toned - it really helped set the mood of the story in a way that full color might've just detracted from it. But what really earned the five-star rating was the story! This could very easily have been the first book in a full series (in fact, both before and after ...more
Vania
Dec 28, 2015 Vania rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, webcomic
Over the Wall has a female protagonist on the search for her missing brother in the abandoned city near her village. It's cute and clever with its artwork and technique by only using a purple, black, and white color scheme to represent the night-time setting. The pictures themselves are incredibly detailed with intense care given to each detail.

What is it missing? An ending.

I was expecting a sequel by the time I finished, googling up the book to only find nothing.

Where is it? and Are you kiddin
Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 09, 2014 Andrea Mullarkey rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
This was such a pretty graphic novel. I liked the palette of pale purple, black and white and it seemed particularly right for this story of a girl on a quest. I also really liked the plucky young heroine of this mostly wordless story. But what I liked best was the interesting mix of fantasy and reality. The setting felt both historic and futuristic with some archetypal features to the place including a wall, a bubble, and a city. And then there was the beautiful rendering of architecture that ...more
Mitchell
Jul 10, 2016 Mitchell rated it liked it
This is a short YA graphic novel which I think I picked up after seeing it on a Goodreads list of standalone, non-superhero comics. It revolves around a mysterious abandoned city, cut off from the world by both physical and magical walls, and the girl who crosses the walls to try to find her missing brother.

I liked it well enough – it’s a simple story and Wartman has a pleasing artistic style, especially good at creating an empty sense of unease in the deserted city. But it raises the question o
Travis Mueller
Jan 23, 2015 Travis Mueller rated it really liked it
zxvasdf
Jan 15, 2014 zxvasdf rated it really liked it
Reading this I can't help but feel it's an allegory for something. Growing old, perhaps, because this has been on my mind lately. Past the unseen wall is an empty city. You enter it only to find something, but you don't return because you forget yourself as soon as the city absorbs you. There are insatiable demons filled with names, which are the first thing that is taken from you.

In keeping with that claim of allegory, Over the Wall could easily represent that downhill slope towards death. You
Alicia
The future is bleak for the female lead character who has lost her brother, who she barely remembers anymore, not remembering his name even, so she decides to venture 'over the wall' to the ancient city that no one goes in to because they never return.

Once over the wall, her stubborn, sassy attitude attracts the attention of a small demon who actually helps her around the city where she finds her brother but also runs in to a large and threatening demon. .

The illustrations were wonderfully dark
Hollowspine
Jul 28, 2014 Hollowspine rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This story follows a young girl as she tries to save, even the memory, of her Brother. Over the Wall is about an abandoned majestic city where demons remain trapped, demons who would eat the name and memory of any who cross the wall into their prison, and it's relationship to the small village residing in it's shadow. Young boys must delve into this other world to prove themselves, but not all of them come back.

Before she can forget him entirely, Anya crosses the wall to find her brother, though
Christyn
Over the Wall was a short and entertaining (if a bit puzzling) read. I wish it was a bit longer with more detail/explanation as to what was going on. The story follows a girl as she goes over the wall into a deserted city now occupied by demons to rescue a brother that she doesn't quite remember but knows exists. It was entertaining and I enjoyed the illustrations and purple/black/white color scheme. And Toris, I liked him - he was my favorite. It was interesting, there are things you can infer ...more
Terri
Jan 10, 2014 Terri added it
Beautiful graphic novel found in the YA section of the library. A young girl slips out of her home to climb over the great wall separating her village from a huge, sprawling, metropolis, which has deteriorated into ruins. Why? To find her missing brother. Seems the wall was build many years previously to keep the demons who lived there from devouring the humans. But once a year, all boys of a certain age climb the wall, to remind the demons that while the humans may have left, they are not ...more
Nannah
This was such a fun read! Very quick, too--very, very quick. I think I finished it within 15 minutes.

The story follows a young girl venturing inside an abandoned, walled-off city to find her brother, whom she can't quite remember. In this city she finds a demon who becomes her very sarcastic guide, and she unravels the mystery of the city and the one behind what's keeping her brother trapped inside.

I lovethe art style. That and the color palette of black, purple, and white led me to pick up this
Jenna
Nov 07, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
Over the Wall is an imaginative story with a lot of room to expand upon. The female main character is a strong and stubborn one, resolute on finding and saving her brother in an isolated city now overrun by demons. The 3-color illustrations are wonderful. I particularly enjoyed the aesthetic consistency of the intricate architecture of the city and the various sized totems littered in and outside of the ominous wall.

Peter Wartman has continued his story and started posting chapters of Stonebreak
Stefan
Jun 19, 2015 Stefan rated it liked it
A novel that explores really interesting ideas in fantasy with a strong, interesting tie to more cultural themes. While it's more of a short story and does not truly explore its ideas, it's sucessful in that it creates a world that allows for the reader to ponder it's fantasy. On the other hand, Wartman's more simple, charming style, similar I think to O'Malley or Natasha Allegri, strengthens the novel and I believe it wouldn't be the same if colored any other way. As a first novel, this is a ...more
Hu
Jul 19, 2015 Hu rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves beautiful comic stories
Shelves: comic
Illustrations are beautifully done, and story line is really intriguing~

The girl's bravery leads to the searching for her lost brother (and heard of the truth of the isolated once-prosperous-city...). I really like the little "DEMON" who is innocently kind yet knows right from wrong even risks his safety to help the girl, and the trust earns him a surprising gift!

Funny and vivid dialogues between the little "DEMON" and the girl make the story more amusing. There appears to be more going on afte
Meru
Sep 12, 2016 Meru rated it did not like it
I wouldn't normally rate something this short and random, but I had such a strong reaction to reading this that I felt like I had to.

How did this get published? More importantly, how did the author spend so much time on excellent illustration to tell a story that is so mind mindbogglingly terrible? I'm not even sure what the target audience is here, but it feels too creepy for small children and so devoid of purpose for anyone else.

Unfortunate, since the art was good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Broxo
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Gladstone's School for World Conquerors
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Princeless Short Stories Volume 1
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 3
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1
  • Adventure Time: Bitter Sweets (Adventure Time OGN, #4)
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology