Start by marking “Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes” as Want to Read:
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes

Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with professional cyclists, he found athletes weary of processed bars and gels and the same old pasta. So Lim joined professional chef Biju Thomas to make eating delicious and practical. When the menu changed, no one could argue with the race results. Their groundbreaking Feed Zone Cookbook brought the favorite recipes of the pros to ...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Velo Press (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Feed Zone Portables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed Zone Portables

JDK1962
I read through this book and immediately found a lot of recipes I'd like to try. Any cookbook that makes you want to head for the kitchen is immediately worth four stars. Let's hope the recipes pan out.

The only reason I'm not giving this five stars is because:
-- I haven't tried the recipes (yet).
-- I was not a fan of the athlete endorsements of the authors' work spread throughout the book. Beautiful photographs, but seemed a bit too self-congratulatory.
-- A bit too much jumping around (i.e., whe
Gayle
I had a hard time planning these portable meals the first few times I made them but practice makes perfect. We use the rice balls and sticky bites for ultra running. They have been a hit on aid stations and among friends in training runs as well. Bottom Line: Real food is better tolerated and provides energy and hydration in a stressful state.
Jennifer Erwin
I read this and The Feed Zone Cookbook and I can't wait to try some of these recipes out on my workouts. I'm a triathlete and the normal gels, bars, and whatnot just aren't settling on my stomach anymore. These recipes looked very easy and are from ingredients that I would have in my kitchen normally. Can't wait to try them out.
Martin
Great recipes for on-the-bicycle eating and post workout snacks.
Shortcut ideas and tips & tricks around packaging your portables are excellent.
Whitney Peck
I certainly enjoyed some of the eye opening tips and facts regarding some very "well known" athletic fueling tips, and the ease in which these meals can be enjoyed while in the midst of endurance activities.
Tara Davis
Good recipes that I can't wait to try this season! There was a lot of scientific nutrition talk in the beginning that I found hard to get through.
Pea.
the science part was an a lot to absorb.
at the moment this book is to give me an outline on what to feed my junior cyclists during training...which it does.
biju's recipes are straight forward, adaptable and yummy.
Amanda Vance
Tasty ideas for long, slower workouts. It has been good to get away from gels and PB&J sandwiches. I don't however see myself utilizing these for races...I need a lot more refining for mess control.
C
Loved this - it had some great (and weird!) ideas. I want a copy for home!

Sample Recipes here:
Kristine
Sep 14, 2013 Kristine added it
Shelves: library, cooking
interesting, but not for me. envisioned more protein options but mostly carb. my exercise level is nowhere near what these recipes are for IMO!
Hag
Hag is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Mijal Tohi
Mijal Tohi is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
heidi
heidi added it
Jul 20, 2015
Ebony
Ebony is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Leah Colbeck
Leah Colbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest Self
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • Trophy Cupcakes and Parties!: Deliciously Fun Party Ideas and Recipes from Seattle's Prize-Winning Cupcake Bakery
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • Whole Grain Vegan Baking: More than 100 Tasty Recipes for Plant-Based Treats Made Even Healthier-From Wholesome Cookies and Cupcakes to Breads, Biscuits, and More
  • The Professional Barista's Handbook
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike
  • Triathlon Science
  • Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World's Fastest Cyclists
  • LATEX: A Document Preparation System: User's Guide and Reference Manual
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Run or Die
The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Certification Kit OCA/OCP: Oracle9i DBA Fundamentals I Study Guide OCA: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate Study Guide: Exams 1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052 [With CDROM] Oca: Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Associate Study Guide: Exams 1z0-061 and 1z0-062