Start by marking “Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes” as Want to Read:
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes

Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with professional cyclists, he found athletes weary of processed bars and gels and the same old pasta. So Lim joined professional chef Biju Thomas to make eating delicious and practical. When the menu changed, no one could argue with the race results. Their groundbreaking Feed Zone Cookbook brought the favorite recipes of the pros to ...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Velo Press (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Feed Zone Portables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed Zone Portables

Karen
Nov 24, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
OK, I am not the target demographic for this book (which is aimed at endurance athletes such as road cyclists, rock climbers etc), but I found this book surprisingly interesting. I started reading this book because I was looking for lunchbox ideas - the recipes are nothing like anything I normally make, so they picqued my curiosity; they do also sound delicious, with interesting and varied flavour combinations. What also interested me is the impressively researched foreword (over 70 pages!), wit ...more
JDK1962
May 22, 2014 JDK1962 rated it really liked it
I read through this book and immediately found a lot of recipes I'd like to try. Any cookbook that makes you want to head for the kitchen is immediately worth four stars. Let's hope the recipes pan out.

The only reason I'm not giving this five stars is because:
-- I haven't tried the recipes (yet).
-- I was not a fan of the athlete endorsements of the authors' work spread throughout the book. Beautiful photographs, but seemed a bit too self-congratulatory.
-- A bit too much jumping around (i.e., whe
Gayle
Apr 14, 2014 Gayle rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time planning these portable meals the first few times I made them but practice makes perfect. We use the rice balls and sticky bites for ultra running. They have been a hit on aid stations and among friends in training runs as well. Bottom Line: Real food is better tolerated and provides energy and hydration in a stressful state.
Izslozne
Jun 13, 2016 Izslozne rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I was intimidated by the "Introduction" (50+ pages) but I am glad I read it before diving into the recipes or appendix of nutritional information.

Everything was written in such an inviting and friendly way. It is clear with science, numbers and facts (calculating calorie deficits to glycogen storage in the body) to back up their recipes. I'm not a tri- athlete but I'm a meal-prep-er who came across this book by chance and am now looking at other cookbooks and books by the Feed Zone and Skratch
Christy Keeler
Feb 28, 2016 Christy Keeler rated it really liked it
Don't skip the introduction of this book—the authors describe the science behind sports nutrition in exceptional and clear scientific detail. It sounds like a chapter from Maffetone's "Big Book of Endurance Training," but follows with specific recipes supporting the scientific principles. The recipes taste good and pack well for rides, but often don't work well in the heat of the desert. The rice balls fall apart, the egg and meat dishes are unsafe after 5 hours in 90+* heat, anything with choco ...more
Jennifer Erwin
Jan 31, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it it was amazing
I read this and The Feed Zone Cookbook and I can't wait to try some of these recipes out on my workouts. I'm a triathlete and the normal gels, bars, and whatnot just aren't settling on my stomach anymore. These recipes looked very easy and are from ingredients that I would have in my kitchen normally. Can't wait to try them out.
M
Apr 25, 2016 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I've been cycling for a few years now and on long rides it's imperative to eat a small snack every hour or so. Starting to tire of the limited options of premade food, and especially tired of the condition known as gut rot I decided to look for homemade alternatives. This book came highly recommended by strangers on the internet. The book is full of great recipes, I've made a few of them and they are simple to follow and taste great!
surfurbian
May 03, 2016 surfurbian rated it really liked it
Pretty handy recipes. Better than gels and bars any day. I have been tweeking the recipes a bit to add whole grains for more fiber and nutritional value. Of course this lowers the glycemic index and is not the best choice for an endurance athlete in need of sugar and far from a bathroom. However, there are other instances and applications where the complex carbohydrates and fiber can be useful. Definitely one to keep on the shelf at the house.
Martin
Jun 24, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing
Great recipes for on-the-bicycle eating and post workout snacks.
Shortcut ideas and tips & tricks around packaging your portables are excellent.
Whitney Peck
Mar 11, 2014 Whitney Peck rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
I certainly enjoyed some of the eye opening tips and facts regarding some very "well known" athletic fueling tips, and the ease in which these meals can be enjoyed while in the midst of endurance activities.
Anne Holcomb
Mar 18, 2016 Anne Holcomb is currently reading it
I finally ordered this and it came yesterday! I am so excited to try out some of the recipes :D
Mark
Sep 07, 2015 Mark marked it as to-read
Recommended to Mark by: Unshelved
Shelves: from-library, cookery
Tara Davis
Jan 06, 2014 Tara Davis rated it really liked it
Good recipes that I can't wait to try this season! There was a lot of scientific nutrition talk in the beginning that I found hard to get through.
Pea.
Jul 21, 2013 Pea. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, food-sport
the science part was an a lot to absorb.
at the moment this book is to give me an outline on what to feed my junior cyclists during training...which it does.
biju's recipes are straight forward, adaptable and yummy.
Amanda Vance
Nov 18, 2013 Amanda Vance rated it really liked it
Tasty ideas for long, slower workouts. It has been good to get away from gels and PB&J sandwiches. I don't however see myself utilizing these for races...I need a lot more refining for mess control.
C
Apr 21, 2015 C rated it really liked it
Shelves: running-books
Loved this - it had some great (and weird!) ideas. I want a copy for home!

Sample Recipes here:
Michelle Gamboa
Dec 31, 2015 Michelle Gamboa rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to try out the recipes. I spent this time looking through and figuring how to incorporate them into my daily and training nutrition.
Kristine
Sep 14, 2013 Kristine added it
Shelves: library, cooking
interesting, but not for me. envisioned more protein options but mostly carb. my exercise level is nowhere near what these recipes are for IMO!
DANIEL MONCAYO
DANIEL MONCAYO is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2016
Matt Elkins
Matt Elkins rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Edward Matterfis
Edward Matterfis rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Cathy McCarthy
Cathy McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Gonçalo Nuno Pais
Gonçalo Nuno Pais is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2016
Troy Mason
Troy Mason is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest Self
  • Trophy Cupcakes and Parties!: Deliciously Fun Party Ideas and Recipes from Seattle's Prize-Winning Cupcake Bakery
  • How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • The Professional Barista's Handbook
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • My Time
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance