Start by marking “Gather the Bones” as Want to Read:
Gather the Bones
Read Excerpt

Gather the Bones

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  32 reviews
War leaves no one untouched...

The horrors of the Great War are not the only ghosts that haunt Helen Morrow and her late husband's reclusive cousin, Paul. Unquiet spirits from another time and another conflict touch them.
A coded diary gives them clues to the mysterious disappearance of Paul's great-grandmother in 1812, and the desperate voice of a young woman reaches out to
Paperback, Print Edition, 320 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Oportet Publishing (first published September 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gather the Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gather the Bones

Brenda
Major Paul Morrow, desperately wounded, could hear the voice of his aunt, Evelyn – her grief tore at his heart – but the words she hurled at him cut him to the core. Charlie was dead, but he couldn’t remember the details and for her that wasn’t enough – as the Matron escorted the distraught woman from the ward, Paul felt himself sink into oblivion once again.

When Australian Helen Morrow and her six year old daughter Alice arrived at Holdston in rural England, previous home of her husband Charlie
Phrynne
This was a delightful story, part mystery, part HF, part supernatural with a strong dose of romance thrown in. I really enjoyed all of the characters and the relationships between them. It was very nicely written and a pleasure to read. This was my first book by this author and I hope to read many more.
Lynxie
Gather the Bones popped up on my radar through a group challenge on Goodreads. I didn't know anything about it, but the synopsis enthralled me and I felt like a bit of a change of pace, having not read many historical fantasy/romance books. It also simultaneously surprised and delighted me to find out that Alison Stuart actually lives in Australia too?! Even better! Now I can read a promising sounding book and support a fellow Aussie writer.

The story... well that just blew me away.

The beginning
I am not a big fan of paranormal historical romance. A lightly entertainment for a free afternoon.
Nas Dean

GATHER THE BONES by author Alison Stuart and is a October 2012 release by Lyrical Press.

Widow Helen Morrow arrives in England at her mother in laws invitation, so that her daughter could meet her grandmother.

At the family home, Holdston, though she is welcomed, Helen feels disquiet. She wanted some answers to the last minutes of her husband Charlie's live. So she is happy when Paul Morrow, who was in the same unit with Charlie arrived. But Paul was not up to answering any of her questions. How c
Maria
Oh, my goodness. What a wonderful read, I loved this. It had everything I want in a good book. An historical setting, a paranormal theme, attractive if slightly flawed characters.

Books about the great war have always intrigued me and I remember reading them with awe. An entire generation of young men around the world totally destroyed....the Irish ballad 'The Green Fields of France' has the capacity to reduce me to tears - the story of one young Irish man who lost his life on a battlefield in a
Roz ~ My Written Romance
As always, Alison Stuart has crafted a lushly romantic, beautifully detailed tale in 'Gather the Bones'. I was engaged in the tale from the moment I picked it up. I love historical romance, and particularly those set in times not often seen in romance fiction. The slow-burning attraction between Helen and Paul is beautifully done, and the glimpses into the lives of those affected by the Great War rang true.

Two very big thumbs up from me. Loved it.
Ana

A great and (really) emotional story set in the aftermath of the World War I. An unusual setting, as we can all agree. What I most like about are the details given to the relationship itself, how they fought against everything (especially themselves) in order to be together. Worth reading.

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.
Jenny Schwartz
Gather the Bones is brilliant. It hooked me from the start. Set soon after World War I, the characters are all dealing with the aftermath of war - the fact lives are changed forever. Love, loyalty, duty. The plot is complicated enough to keep you guessing (and surprise you) but beautifully woven. Nothing seems forced.
Lily Malone
I loved this book. The blend of historical and paranormal/suspense was intriguing. All the war scenes were incredibly realistic, and rang with great authenticity to me.
I liked the time the author chose to pay attention to the heavier subjects along with the romantic ones. The effects of war and loss are huge themes in this work; I’d say almost as much as the romance. And I actually liked that balance. It makes the romance all the much sweeter. I also really enjoyed how the author chose to explore the world of Edwardian upper crust society and exploring how they might view this “interloper” from Australia. It was heartbreaking and intriguing all at the same tim ...more
Desere
Gather the bones was a paranormal like no other I have come across before. It had mystery behind mystery and I at one point I thought I might be trapped in one of the tales from Ghost Lab,minus all the technical mumbo jumbo.

Yes it was that good and so much more ! There was history,mystery,intrigue and so many interesting and mind blowing secrets that I read it in one sitting.

I read paranormals every now and then but I have never read a paranormal with such a intense level of excitement and thri
Sherryl Caulfield
I had a Great Uncle who died at Ypres in 1917 so was keen to read this story of WWI survivors from same time and place. And indeed, what I most enjoyed about this post WWI story was the character of Paul Morrow, a WWI survivor who had blocked out the details of his cousin's death at Ypres because it was so shocking. Throughout the story - eight years after the fact - the details become more and more lucid to him as other story lines developed (that of his growing friendship with his cousin's wid ...more
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
It's a few years after the end of WWI, and Helen Morrow has just arrived in England from her native Australia. She and her daughter are to spend some time with her late husband's aristocratic family. Charlie left to join his cousin, Paul, in his regiment when Helen was in the very early stages of her pregnancy, and died before he could see her. Since little Alice will now never know her father, Helen would like her to know her father's family.
After Charlie's death, the title and estate passed to
Felicia
IT LEFT ME WANTING...

This really is a 2.5 for me. I liked Helen and I loved Paul yet the story wasn't as richly developed as it should have been. Certainly Robert and Susannah's story added nice parallels but it wasn't flushed out or connected the way it could have been. As a romance it was charming, there was chemistry but it wasn't developed properly. I found plot constructs like Tony and the engagement so awkward. Great premise poor execution.
Catherine
Have you ever found yourself so caught up in a book that you couldn't put it down? One which kept you turning pages long into the night, through the wee hours, and into the breaking dawn of a new day? I did that last night with this book. Helen and Paul (the main characters) have now become two of my favorite people that I've never actually met, as I got to know them, like them, understand them, and root for them, as they worked together to solve a mystery. Doing so enabled them to put their pai ...more
Helen
This is such a moving story filled with romance mystery and intrigue I loved it from start to finish I highly recommend this one
Imelda Evans
Finally got around to it! Loved it!
Erin
I believe that I stumbled upon this book through a Goodreads recommendation. In addition, the title of the novel and its premise piqued my interest. Our story begins in a hospital in 1917, the patient is Major Paul Morrow, recovering from injuries sustained at Passchendaele. He is soon faced with Lady Evelyn Morrow, his aunt, who has arrived to find out what happened to her precious son, Captain Charles Morrow. Unfortunately, Paul is unable to tell her what she wants to know because Paul cannot ...more
Kira
Helen Morrow is an Australian and a war widow who has gone to England following the request of her upper class English mother-in-law who wishes to meet her grandaughter, Alice. There she meets her dead husbands cousin, and new Lord of the Manor, Paul. Together they must unravel a past mystery as well as deal with the issues facing the survivors of a horrible war.

Gather the Bones is a wonderful read. It manages to capture all the themes I love in the one book; history, romance, mystery, and paran
My Book Addiction and More MBA
GATHER THE BONES by Allison Stuart is an interesting paranormal/historical romance. It interweaves the past with the present with intrigue,mystery,secrets,love adventure and romance. Follow Paul and Helen Morrow on an adventure of a lifetime as they search for the truth of the death of a loved one from 1812 and 1917. As voices/spirits from the past reach out to them from the pages of a coded diary. You don't want to miss this exciting story of love,tragedy,lost and grief mixed with historical an ...more
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Helen and Paul are amazing characters whose strength is impossible to deny.

Read full review in the 2012 November issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Elizabeth Jayne
Really enjoyed this book with the mix of history, romance and paranormal. Didn't put it down from start to finish!
Eleni Konstantine
I absolutely loved this book. Beautiful language, beautiful plot of people dealing with the after-math of World War I.

Widow Helen Marrow and her daughter, Alice visits her late husband's home. There she meets her mother-in-law and her husband's cousin, Paul. Paul had been with Charlie when he had died but he has no recollection of it. This mystery and the mystery of Paul's great-grandmother interweave in the story where two lost souls meet.

A real page-turner dealing with love, loss, and duty.

Y
Michele
Loved this book. Highly recommend it!!'
Sara
I finished it at 1.42am. My kindle battery ran out at 1.15am so I broke out the laptop so could finish it. Do I need to say more? It's a genuine page turner. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Melanie
Meh....had to make myself read it. Such a good premise....boring execution.
Melissa
I was so sad to finish this book. This book took me 1 night to finish as I couldn't put it down. A paranormal and historical romance captivated me with the characters coming alive, a well thought out plot. This won't disappoint readers.
Fun, fluffy and predictable. A good weekend read.
Fiona Lowe
Enjoyed this Downtown Abbey-esque novel. It has a lovely romance, ghosts, great English houses and WW1
Goodreads Librari...: Assistance with book attribution 9 158 Aug 01, 2012 11:21PM
  • In Safe Hands
  • The Secret Diary of Lady Catherine Bexley
  • Wild Wood
  • Heart of the Valley
  • Nobody But Him
  • Wild Encounter
  • The Tailor's Girl
  • Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1)
  • The House on Burra Burra Lane (Swallows Fall #1)
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • Turn of the Tide
  • Mistress to the Crown
  • Man Drought
  • Playing Charlie Cool
  • The Scent of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #3)
  • Lost In Kakadu
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • An Honorable Thief
Where history meets romance. Alison Stuart is an award winning Australian writer of cross genre historical romances. Whether duelling with dashing cavaliers, wayward ghosts or in search of a murderer, her books provide a reader with a meaty plot, historical accuracy and characters who have to strive against adversity, always with the promise of a future together. Alison is a lapsed lawyer who has ...more
More about Alison Stuart...
Lord Somerton's Heir By The Sword (Guardians of the Crown, #1) Secrets in Time Her Rebel Heart (A romance of the English Civil War) The King's Man (Guardians of the Crown, #2)