Essential X-Men, Vol. 2 (Marvel Essentials) (v. 2)

Essential X-Men, Vol. 2 (Marvel Essentials) (Uncanny X-Men Omnibus #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Ever expanding their ranks the Children of the Atom combat the evils threatening both mutants and humans -- like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants the Hellfire Club and Dark Phoenix!Collecting: X-Men #120-141, Uncanny #142-144; Annual #3-4

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 12/7/2005 Pages: 584 Reading Level: Age 9 and Up
Published December 7th 2005 by Marvel (first published 1982)

Sharon Powers
THERE ARE 3 BOOKS THAT COVER THE X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST MATERIAL. THIS IS ONLY ONE OF THE THREE NECESSARY TO UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE STORY LINE (for my own personal reference to keep from getting them confused, because two of the titles are EXACTLY the same, the third is similar), this is the third book I review of the three:

THE BOOK: The collected issues for this Marvel title include the following: X-Men issues 120-141; The Uncanny X-Men issues 142-144; and The X-Men Annual numbers 3-4. The n...more
Nadia
This was definitely a huge improvement from the first volume. It took me a while to get into it, but once I was there I couldn't put it down. The two a-plots in this book really held up despite that I knew what was going to happen and that I'd already seen many different versions of them done, both in adaptations and in different universes by other fantasy/sci fi creators that were really obviously influenced by this over the decades. The economy of the storytelling still impresses me, it's amaz...more
Zack! Empire
The first thing that really stood out for me in this book was the art work. I’ve always been aware of John Byrne, but until now I hadn’t read anything by him. After reading this collection I can see why he is held in such high regards. The art work in here is fantastic. Everything about it is firing on all cylinders. It’s that crisp, but not hyper-stylized artwork I love in super-hero comics. I enjoy these Essential collections because they are printed in black in white, giving you a chance to...more
jeremiah
Its incredible that this one book contains the quality of stories that it does. The hunt for Mutant X. The Dark Phoenix Saga. Cyclops leaving the X-Men (?). Days of Future Past. This was truly a great time to be an X-Men fan.

The hunt for the reality shifting Mutant X/Proteus is probably my favorite X-Men story of all time. Tons of tension as the body count rises only to get battles that are absolutely crazy as reality literally gets flipped inside-out. I was a little disappointed that they didn...more
Lord
So I finally got to read the famouse Dark Phoenix saga. I can imagine how awesome this must have been 30 years ago. Even nowadays, it's good and interesting reading. The story arcs before it were not that good but after Jean Grey demise Kitty Pryde appeared. As a huge manga fan I really appreciated the addition of this cute loli character to X-men team. ^_^ Moreover, the story arc with Kitty from future was really interesting. This book is really an essential piece of comic history. With so many...more
Krystl Louwagie
Well, these things are huge, so it always takes me a while to get through them. Plus,I can't read at work much anymore because down time has become unheard of.

Much like the first volume, I am impressed by the large over arching storylines and bored by the ones that are contained in a single comic. If it's not continued, it's almost worthless. Kitty Pryde's been introduced, and I'm not a fan. However, in reading these comics, a person can easily see why Wolverine got so popular. He really does ju...more
Paul Darcy
By now everybody on the planet must be familiar with the X-Men. Three big Hollywood movies and countless comic books plus TV cartoons span nearly three decades.

But what really happened to Jean Grey when she turned into power incarnate as the Dark Phoenix? I’m not talking the Cartoon TV version, or the major motion picture. I’m talking the “real” story as it happened in the comic books way back when.

If you read this collected volume, Essential X-Men Vol. 2, of black and white X-Men comics, compri...more
Leila Anani
A vast improvement on the completely random first collection, this is far more cohesive in terms of plot. The majority of issues deal with the progression of Jean Grey from Phoenix, to the Black Queen to the Dark Phoenix and detail her tragic death. We also get the introduction of Kitty Pryde (Sprite) and Dazzler, although she leaves after one adventure.

The majority of stories are classic X-Men fayre, fun, but ultimately forgettable, although I am rather fond of super-villain Arcade and his mur...more
Andrew
Basically this is the best run of the X-Men in my opinion. Mostly because of the culmination of the Phoenix story, but you've also got Days of Future Past, which is probably the most important story in the future direction of the title. Done and redone to death in varying aspects. It also has the Proteus story. This collection also marks the ending of John Byrne's run as artist for the book. It will be hard to go back to Dave Cockrum... But Byrne wanted to do some writing, so he got to go over t...more
Stephen
I read comics for YEARS after these issues came out, just on the off chance I could find art matching Byrne's wonderful masterwork as represented herein. It was rare that I found something by any artist as professionally polished as the work Byrne did here.

Today Byrne's work looks like he doesn't bother to pencil anything, just grabs the bevel-edged marker and goes to town, and some fans still like his new stuff. But the art is this book was the good stuff -- thin dip-pen lines, great expressiv...more
Jesterjoker
Dec 06, 2012 Jesterjoker marked it as science-fiction  ·  review of another edition
This volume covers a year and a half's worth of Xmen comics, about half a year to the Dark Phoenix Saga and a half a year following.

I read the Dark Phoenix Saga many years ago when I first acquired access to the interlibrary loan system. I remembered it being good. In this volume, I saw the build up to it, and man, when you know what led to it, it's absolutely an amazing read. It's surreal to realise that it took a whole half a year to play out and fans must have been on pins and needles for the...more
Chris
Its depressing to think that my favorite comic of all time peaked roughly the time I was born, but you can't beat this volume - The Dark Pheonix Sage? John Byrne on pencils, a young Claremont on script? This is the modern comic in its golden-years, before the clones, future incarnations, and countless reserections robed death of all its meaning in the X-Universe. I just wish I could have read this book not knowing of Madeline Pryor, Marvel Girls return, then death, then return, then death . . ....more
Paul
Mabel
I read the first half of this collection of classic X-Men stories in the black & white Essential version courtesy of Inter Library Loan, but switched to the original coloured version (in digital form) once the Dark Pheonix Saga wrapped up (much too quickly, but beautifully). At that point, Cyclops leaves the team, Kitty Pryde is introduced, and events are under foot building up to Days of Future Past, which was my main prompt - reading the original story for the first time before next year's...more
Kathy
I've love the X-men, the way their personalities and powers mesh and clash as they work to save the universe. This volume featured Wolverine, Colosus, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm and my favorite: Nightcrawler as they battled Proteus, The Helfire Club and others. Banshee appears in the beginning, but is injured and doesn't stick around long. Later in the book Angel comes back and Kitty Pride is introduced. It is in black and white, but that's okay. It was a lot of X-men and I couldn't put it down.
Christopher Mcgurr
Some really good storytelling here. Obviously The Dark Phoenix Saga is classic. I enjoy the buildup to it with Mastermind appearing many many issues before he makes his move. You can see the gestation of stories scattered here and there throughout. The introduction of Proteus was cool too. I like seeing the old style of comics writing where the writer has to squeeze in the previous issues storyline in a few panels. Plus it amuses me that so many characters speak their thoughts out loud.
Zach Danielson
Classic X-Men. I skimmed some parts of this large, black-and-white volume, and I'd previously read X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga, but it was nice to finally read the original X-Men: Days of Future Past storyline.
Christopher
Dark Phoenix! What a great story arc that is classic.
Alex Firer
The perfect combination of the seriousness that mainstream comics have become with the whiz bang adventure they used to be. Characters wonderfully written with every personality bouncing off the other and the arc of their journey bending towards a peaceful progress, which is always a pleasure to read. Just the best X-Men stories after the other, each one inventing an archetype that we all mine to this day. Perfect stuff.
Bill
The bulk of this book is taken up with the latter half of the Chris Claremont/John Byrne X-Men run, and this is where things really start kicking into high gear. Proteus, The Hellfire Club, Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past, Kitty Pryde, Dazzler in full disco mode... a lot of important introductions and events in X-Men lore happen here. If you're going to read just one of these, this is the one to read.
Frank
This was fun. I started reading the X-Men almost immediatly after this run of 20 or so comics, so it filled in some gaps and was a nice stroll down memory lane.

The pages are in black in white, but that didn't really bother me.

It's the plots, cornball as they can be, that always interested me over the art.

Learned some new stuff. For instance, Kitty Pride (Shadowcat) was/is Jewish.

Jessica
Better than the first one, but still lots of story lines randomly petering out with no resolution. And the pseudo-science just kills me.

I did very much enjoy the Day of Future Past story. That one is a four star story.

Every time I read X-Men I just want more Kitty Pride and Colossus. Professor X is kind of a dick in this collection.
Federiken Masters
Jul 13, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios
Recommended to Federiken by: Varias cosas
Ya escribí más o menos las reseñas de La Saga de Fénix Oscura y la de Días del futuro pasado, ambas incluidas en este tomote. Así que me queda para después el explayarme en cómos y porquéses.
Christopher Dodd
Fun nostalgia.

I had reprints of some of these issues and read them over and over as a kid. It was fun to read them with a bit more context.

Almost every story talks up how powerful the X-men are while they get soundly defeated and captured by some villain. Then they escape by getting lucky. Rinse and repeat.
Paolo Antonio Livorati
The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past... tutto materiale classico che avevo già letto fra la fine degli anni Ottanta e l'inizio dei Novanta, ma che qui è ripresentato organicamente (anche se in b/n) e a un prezzo vantaggiosissimo, considerato quanto valgono gli albi originali.
Maura
Ah, late 70's/early 80's superheroes. So corny, yet so awesome. I may need to get the next volume. Or the previous one. Whatever the library will give me!

And so many thought bubbles! I'm not used to that much introspection from my comics characters!
Robert Spake
Classic run of the X-Men, had to be 5 stars. I think the cover image they have for this item is wrong though. Anyway, great stories including the introduction of the Hellfire Club, the Dark Phoenix Saga and the Days of Future Past storyline.
Elijah Kinch Spector
This volume has what is, essentially, the best superhero comic book story ever. It loses some of its significance these days, due to how cliche alot of it has become in the interim, but alot started here.
John
Days of Futures Past makes this worth the read alone. I have to admit that for me Kitty Pryde was always one of the X-Men, so this is a treat to see her origin story.
  • Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1
  • Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • X-Factor: Life and Death Matters
  • Uncanny X-Men: Nation X
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2: Return to Weapon X
  • X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic - Book 4
  • X-Men: The Ultimate Guide (Third Edition) (Ultimate Guides)
  • Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 2: The Death of Captain America
  • The Incredible Hulk by Jason Aaron, Volume 1
  • The Mighty Avengers, Vol. 3: Secret Invasion, Vol. 1
  • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Ultimate Collection - Book 1
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors...more
More about Chris Claremont...
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga X-Men: Days of Future Past Wolverine X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills X-Men: Mutant Genesis